Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

SURVEY: What is your ebook reader

to those who uses their iphone/itouch in reading ebooks, can you please teach me how to do it (in layman terms as possible, the person who will follow this instruction is no techie person at all, hayzzz...lol).

my friend already has her itouch but the ebooks she downloads are the freebie one's she got from the recommended websites. she doesn't know how to convert and transfer the files to her itouch without the need of wifi access (can this be done directly from computer? i mean using usb?)

if she can fully utilize her itouch in reading ebooks, i will discourage her to buy kindle (too many gadgets for her).

:) thanks in advance!

There are a lot of ways to transfer her ebooks. If Stanza app gamitin:

-> She can transfer her ebooks using iTunes. Here's the link on how to: http://www.lexcycle.com/faq#3n619

OR

-> Stanza Desktop, you can download the desktop here: http://www.lexcycle.com/faq on the right side.

a. She needs to open the stanza desktop, click file>open and choose an ebook she wants to transfer
b. Connect her iTouch on her PC
c. Open the Stanza app while it is connected sa PC nya
d. Click Share and she will see that her PC is asking permission to connect she click ok on her iTouch and PC
e. Then click download.

OR

-> E-mailing the Books to yourself using your gmail, yahoo account.

Steps are here: http://www.lexcycle.com/faq#3n619 scroll down a bit

OR

-> Using Calibre to transfer your ebooks.

OR

-> If you have 4shared or Dropbox account or box.net, you can download your ebooks wirelessly to your iPhone/iPod and it will import and read your ebooks to your Stanza app. The format need to be in ePub format to download it directly to the Stanza app.

There's more info/steps here on their FAQ section: http://www.lexcycle.com/faq

iTunes + iBooks:

1. She can import her ebooks to iTunes
2. Connect her iTouch to her PC
3. Then go to Books
4. And select which books she wants to put on her iTouch.

Pag DRM mas best to use the iTunes route. Or Pwede din Stanza, she can log in to the ebookstore where she bought her ebooks and then get her books from there. They have records sa mga purchases nya once she sign in tapos makakadownload na cya sa ebooks from fictionwise, allromanceebookstore, books on board, harlequin, feedbooks etc...If she bought the books from Kindle store or Barnes and Noble, she need to download the Kindle app or B&N (Nook) app to read her ebooks she purchase from there. :)

Last edited:
thanks sis! hopefully mautilize nya ng mabuti ang kanyang itouch...para di na sya bumili ng kindle.

^You're welcome....yeah, if she's just a casual reader okay lang yung iTouch. But if she's an avid reader like us, much better to buy a dedicated ebook reader bec yung battery ng iTouch nya malalaspag if always in use. Kaya nga I bought a dedicated ebook reader kasi naaawa ako sa iPhone ko. I have to plug it sa outlet whenever I read kasi the battery drains very quickly.

ive got a kindle,,l i can say is WOW.the battery doesnt even move for days.the screen is so vivid in recreating books its like paper in front of you.my only probs are 1second delay in turning pages and if you have a very large collection it can be very hard to organize them as ALL books are shown for you to put in a folder.

ive got a kindle,,l i can say is WOW.the battery doesnt even move for days.the screen is so vivid in recreating books its like paper in front of you.my only probs are 1second delay in turning pages and if you have a very large collection it can be very hard to organize them as ALL books are shown for you to put in a folder.

Yeah, yan din probs ko walang sub-folder collection/ebook collection management yung Kindle, but at least may search function. But still I would love to arrange my ebooks like author>series># of book series/books. Na spoiled ako sa EZ Reader PPro ko na may folder/subfolder management, it also can read a lot of files. I'm really hoping Amazon will make this(sub folder collection) possible on the future updates kasi ang dami nag a-ask nito na feature.

The only good to read sa Kindle IMHO, are just azw/prc/mobi and text files. It doesn't see the HTML file at all, have to convert it. I know they put on their website that they can read HTML, DOC thru conversion but it's just like saying if you have ePub format and convert it you can read it on the Kindle. (But of course dba? DUH! ) But I know what they mean by it though, if you email it (HTML and DOC files) to your Kindle email and have the subject line Convert, they will convert it to azw to be read in your Kindle. But still... :rolleyes: Tapos yung sabi nila it can read PDF natively, baloney!!! It's awkward to read, You have to Zoom IN then Pan Around to read it. The only thing I can think that PDF is good is when you read a Manga/Graphic/Comic Books in that format bec you can zoom in on the really tiny balloon text. My EZ Reader PPro can read PDF well, it reflows. I think Sony Reader reflows pdf too.

Regarding the 1 second flash of the e-Ink screen naman. Ganyan talaga yung e-Ink nagfl-flash. At least mabilis nalang yung page turn ngayon compared to other e-Ink ebook readers. Which take 2 or more to turn a page.

If it bothers you that much, a reflective screen might be good for you kasi walang nagfl-flash. And page turns are fast too. Though yung battery drains quite a bit fast din not like e-Inks that can go for weeks of reading. But Ectaco Jets which use reflective LCD screen does use just an AA batteries so it's fairly easy to get those. :)

What I really love of my Kindle is the Pearl e-Ink screen and since I discover Dropbox and pogoplug, I'm loving the wireless connectivity and it's webkit browser. I can access my ebook files wirelessly na. Kahit nasa ibang bansa pa ako and I just have at least wifi if no 3G signal I can download my ebooks using my Dropbox or Pogoplug account. I don't really mind if wala cyang Wifi or 3G, but this feature that can download your own ebook files is an added bonus. :D

^ cge, explore mo ng explore ang kindle mo ha....gawin kitang resource person once i get myself a k3 :)

^ cge, explore mo ng explore ang kindle mo ha....gawin kitang resource person once i get myself a k3 :)

sure, if I discovery another good features/accessories etc of Kindle I'll share it here. :)

@ms. diokdin..magkano po rough estimate niyo kung bibili ako ng kindle 3 wifi only sa amazon dito sa tuguegarao city.cagayan valley..ipapabili ko lang kasi sa kaibigan ko eh..para di na ako bibili ng gift card..in pesos po ah..tenx!

@ms. diokdin..magkano po rough estimate niyo kung bibili ako ng kindle 3 wifi only sa amazon dito sa tuguegarao city.cagayan valley..ipapabili ko lang kasi sa kaibigan ko eh..para di na ako bibili ng gift card..in pesos po ah..tenx!

I don't know if you read my replies but I already answer your question before.

As I said on previous pages, Read this: http://www.symbianize.com/showpost.php?p=3774959&postcount=34

All you have to do is change the amount and multiply it with the current exchange rate there to get the peso amount. Just change the cost of my example there, instead of $148 change to $139 (cost of Kindle wifi) + tax 8.875% in NY of $139, service fee $25. Add everything and multiply it with the current exchange rate there. I think the exchange rate is PHP42. The result will be your total. When you pick it up sa JAC branch mo, another fee to pay Handling fee $5, customs fee $25 and shipping fees (US-Phils) $7.50/lbs. Add everything and multiply it with the current exchange rate and that's how much you gonna pay when you pick up your K3.

If it's your friend buying the K3 on her CC/DC for you and not using the JAC service. It's $139 + Shipping ($30) + Import Duties ($30). I'm not sure how much the Import Duties and Shipping exactly. I think maysapaw posted it on previous pages (Page 13 Reply#130). I think you will pay all in all $199, so $199 multiply it with the current exchange rate, that's how much you'll be paying for it in peso. ;)

Last edited:
^ just to update.

if you buy kindle and have it delivered in the US (assuming your friend lives there and will bring it from US to your place) then you do not have to pay for shipping charges or import duties.

if your friend lives in Manila and you will only buy kindle3 (without cover or other extras) then total charges would be USD179.18. (breakdown as follows: kindle 139, freight 20.98 and import duties 19.20).

if you decide to buy kindle3 + nonlighted cover, total would be USD233.22 (breakdown as follows: kindle 139, cover 34.99, freight 26.97 and import duties 32.26).

the numbers above should be more or less accurate.

btw, i hate that the cover has import duties...i don't know why but that's the amount i get when i tried several options.

also, with the current peso/dollar fx rate, it is a good time to buy kindle, unless with the coming influx of dollars for the holidays, the peso will further strengthen then if you are concern with a better fx rate, you can still delay purchase untill end of the year or beginning of next year.

-----

since you will be using your friend's cc then its best that when he/she place the order she puts the item as GIFT so that the kindle will not be registered under his/her account. also, if your friend likewise lives in cagayan and will have the kindle delivered in there, it would be best if you try out several options before you place the order.

marami namang steps ang payment process eh, para you can double check the items as well as the amount that will be billed to you before you finalize the transaction. basahin nyo lang ng maigi ang mga nakalagay na instructions.

Last edited:
Thanks ms. Diokdin and mysapaw..i'm planning to buy this december with 10k budget..do you think that's enough already?is kindle 3 the cheapest so far?.. I mean with am e ink screen and quality wise..

Thanks ms. Diokdin and mysapaw..i'm planning to buy this december with 10k budget..do you think that's enough already?is kindle 3 the cheapest so far?.. I mean with am e ink screen and quality wise..

You're welcome.... :D I think that will do if the exchange rate will be $1 : PHP 42.00. PHP10K is $238. Cheapest yung K3 $139 for wifi, yung Nook with wifi $149, Sony PRS 350 $179. Cheap yung K3 especially that it has the new Pearl e-Ink screen. The Sony PRS 350 which also has the Pearl e-Ink screen cost more kasi.

In terms sa features and functionality ikaw lang makakasabi if you're okay with the features it has or not. What do you prefer in an ebook reader.

Read this: http://www.symbianize.com/showpost.php?p=4095944&postcount=151

So you will know which ebook reader is best for you. :)

Last edited:
@boy a 10k budget will only buy you an ereader (without a cover). if you think you are very maayos and will likely take care of the item very carefully, and you don't feel the need to have something in between you and your e-reader, then YES, the 10k pesos is enough.

if not, then you can already compute how much you need in addition to your 10k, as stated in my above post.

p.s. btw, assuming that the fx rate of USD=Peso on the day you purchase is 42, you should actually wait for the cc billing of your friend because the cc company will likely use a higher fx rate. meaning, it can be 42.5 or 43 even.

leche, ang baba na ng dollar :( or should i say yipee?

Last edited:
^@ maysapaw, oo nga eh...leche ang baba....pag nagpapadala ka ng pera sa atin ang liit lang but if magbibili ka naman galing satin, okay na okay. ;) I still remember when $1 : PHP 56.25.

Last edited:
^ korek. i left pinas when dollar to peso is around 52 yata. then it shoot up to 56...then boom, ngayon 43 na lang!

so....best solution? wag magpadala ng dolyar sa pinas :lol:

sorry off-topic :D

Last edited:
^he he :D kaya mga peeps, best talaga ngayon to buy ebook readers kasi nakakasave ka. :)

Nook Color

bn-nook-pr-top-1.jpg

wow, can't believe it was only a year ago when the first nook came out. today b&n just announced the Nook Color.

this looks verrrry interesting. don't really mind that it's an LCD vs an e-ink display. so long as brightness and contrast can be adjusted, i'm all sorted.

check out hands-on video, photos, and impressions of the Nook Color here.

anybody wanna buy a used sony reader touch? LOL

Last edited:
^I wish they used the Mirasol colored screen much better on the eyes....

I was very interested when 1st got wind of Nook color, I was thinking they might use Mirasol colored screen...Kinda dissapointed and especially with battery life. Only 8 hours worth of reading with wifi off. Bummer...

Last edited:
question (kindle for dummies, hehe): can the kindle store pdf format ebooks kahit hindi dinownload sa amazon bookstore? I mean all the ebooks here in this forum can be transferred to kindle via usb? hehe. thanks

also, how much kaya pag pina-ship directly from Amazon to Manila? because wala naman akong kilala from US. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom