Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

SURVEY: What is your ebook reader

lmao, i want to have portable ebook reader, . Mahirap kasi gamitin yung Cellphone as ebook reader. Btw, the best para sa akin yung Mobireader :)

any update on ebook readers..is it available in major malls right now like sm?

i also use mobireader for my nokia CP... but still im craving for kindle!

hey peeps, please read this: http://www.symbianize.com/showpost.php?p=3774959&postcount=34

It's how you can buy ebook readers and still be spending cheaper than buying locally.

You can also order Kindle 3 or any other stuffs (ebook readers [Sony, Nook, Astak etc], other gadgets, shoes, bags etc) and pay cheap using Johnny Air Cargo service even if you don't have a credit card. The step by step guide is there on that link. ;) You can buy stuffs online without CC.

Hope that helps people who are dying to have a dedicated ebook reader who don't know how to buy it online, doesn't have a CC or just looking for a cheaper reader than what is sold locally that has very huge "patong". ;) This way you get more bang for your buck. ;) Especially when the exchange rate right now is down. :D

Last edited:
Hey guys what do you use as an ebook reader..I use my nokia 5320 xm..it has a very small screen bu still functional though!!

i use my nokia 5800 phone when im mobile(meaning nasa car/bus/mall) when at home i use desktop or my notebook... hoping to buy an ebook reader talaga... soon ;)

I just bought Kindle 3 (waiting for it's delivery nalang), so aside sa EZ Reader Pocket Pro ko I have a K3. So dalawa na yung dedicated ebook readers ko.

Alternative readers are my iPhone 4 and Lappy. :)

I bought K3 mainly because I fall in love with it's Pearl e-Ink screen.

I just bought Kindle 3 (waiting for it's delivery nalang), so aside sa EZ Reader Pocket Pro ko I have a K3. So dalawa na yung dedicated ebook readers ko.

Alternative readers are my iPhone 4 and Lappy. :)

I bought K3 mainly because I fall in love with it's Pearl e-Ink screen.

Eeep! Me too! Ide-deliver daw sa Aunt ko this September, kaso November ko pa makukuha dito sa Pinas. Ang haba ng pila for the delivery of the New Kindle.

I was looking for a proper non-eye-bleeder reader sa Trinoma a few months ago at may nakita akong Nook. Golly, it was around 22,000+Php. Tas ngayon, got the new Kindle for around £109, it's a good thing bumaba na din ang price ng ebook readers. :dance:

Eeep! Me too! Ide-deliver daw sa Aunt ko this September, kaso November ko pa makukuha dito sa Pinas. Ang haba ng pila for the delivery of the New Kindle.

I was looking for a proper non-eye-bleeder reader sa Trinoma a few months ago at may nakita akong Nook. Golly, it was around 22,000+Php. Tas ngayon, got the new Kindle for around £109, it's a good thing bumaba na din ang price ng ebook readers. :dance:

I got mine last week friday sept 17. It was actually earlier than expected delivery date. I think they got a new batch of shipment of Kindles. Kasi our local Target and Best Buy now has been putting the demo unit out on the floor but there's still no actual units on the shelves to purchase. I think nasa back storage room lang nila, waiting for an ok to display it out na.

Here'a a picture of my Ebook Readers. Amazon Kindle 3 and Astak 5" EZ Reader Pocket Pro:
d975e4c8.jpg

You can see the contrast difference from the old e-Ink screen to the new Pearl e-Ink screen. It is quite dark.

I also bought the Hot Pink Kindle lighted Book cover, here's a pic:
IMG_2713.jpg

And this is how it looks (the lighted book cover) when in use:
IMG_2728.jpg

Yup buying locally is very expensive. Much better to buy it online and there are ways to buy it na. I posted the link of the steps on how to buy it on top, reply #81. I know atat na atat kana to get yours na. You'll be very satisfied once you had it sis sticky-feet. Goodluck on your K3, hopefully it will arrive early too. :)

I had a hard time choosing the perfect reading device and now its finally here.. i wish to share the experience to everyone..

Like every bookworm i know, i just can't get enough of reading :). I can read a book in an hour or 2, that's a novel. Believe me, i have lots of books.. as in hundreds of them. But eventually, i got tired of looking for bargain books (I used to buy old books.. like 1980's OLD since its expensive for me to buy new ones from National bookstore, powerbooks, fully booked etc). Don't get me wrong, i love book hunting especially in booksale, but yeah, it gets tiresome and i end up buying the wrong books because i usually get enticed with the front cover ugh! bad habit :(.. i know.. and i also wanted to give the "new books category" a chance so, i decided to try ebooks..

The first ebook i tried is TWILIGHT.. haha :lol:! its really funny how patient i was back then because i read it on my desktop. I knew that it didn't help my eyes also our electricity bill so after that, i tried reading ebooks using my nintendo ds (using a program named NDS READER)... used that method for about 3 months or so.. and then i discovered that i can read using my psp as well.. so i also tried that.

ADVANTAGE FOR NDS (DS READER): small, handy, fast switch of pages, i can read for about 5-8 hours on the minimum light, you can load your own fonts
DISADVANTAGE FOR NDS: the size is also a disadvantage since naturally, the fonts are smaller although you can set it to be bigger, eye strain, only .txt files can be read (though its not really a big disadvantage since its easy for me to convert), bookmarks are lost/corrupted once you turn off the nds

some pics of that..(notice that my NDS is also pink haha!)

IMG-3479.JPG

IMG-3482.JPG

ADVANTAGE FOR PSP (BOOKR) : you can choose your color combination (bg&text), you can load your own fonts, small and handy as well, bookmark works like a charm, you can read .pdf/.txt but .txt is better for me
DISADVANTAGE FOR PSP: Biggest disadvantage is the battery life, my psp is 1 year and half old so the battery is kind of busted nowadays, i can read for 2-3 hours only. the small size also becomes a disadvantage.. it causes eye strain since i don't want to make the fonts really big because i have to change pages often.

some pics...

IMG-3488.JPG

IMG-3489.JPG

IMG-3491.JPG

I tried both, it worked and i love both devices ..its just that i've been wearing glasses since i was 14 years old.. i am now 21 and i don't want to make the grade of my lenses higher than what i can control.

Mid of June.. i read some posts on a certain website about EBOOK READERS. I found out that there are lots and lots of ebook reading device. I eventually decided that i would like to buy one.. and so the search began. From June- September, i looked for the perfect dedicated reading device which i can buy locally.. Unfortunately.. it costs double the price if you buy it outside the country (thru internet). I was hopeless for a while because i didn't want to use my mom's credit card. But then, i found out thru symbianize about JOHNNY AIR CARGO.. a second party courier. Apparently, they can order for me online (using Johnny air cargo's credit card) and i would just have to pay them cash IN PESO. At first i thought, this is too good to be true because it answers all of my problems. But then.. i decided to give it a go.. so on SEPTEMBER 3, 2010.. i went to their Makati Branch and filled up a form which was emailed to me two days before (i called their makati branch 2 days earlier).

The computation below is what i paid on September 3, 2010 for ordering

Cost of item $149
Inland Shipping $17
Credit Card Charge $25

Total $191 x P44.55 airline rates = P8,891.05

after ordering, i waited and then presto! after 16 days, JAC texted me last Sunday (September 19, 2010) that my package was now available for pick up .. so i went to JAC Gil puyat branch yesterday (i asked if i can just pick it up in that branch)... They charge 7.50 per pound..the ebook reader i ordered was 4 pounds

Here's what i paid for yesterday:

$4 X $7.50 = $30 plus 12% vat

45.45 FOREX = P1,781.64

ALL IN ALL I PAID: 10,672.69

So what ebook reader did i really order? Its ASTAK 5" EZREADER POCKET PRO

Specifications
Dimensions 151mm(L)*105mm(W)*10mm(H), 5.9" x 4.1" x .4"
Main Display E Ink Vizplex 800x600 pixel 3"x4" (5" diagonal) 8 level grayscale.
Storage Internal/SD Card
Memory SDRAM : 32M Byte, Internal 2M NOR FLASH; 512MB internal Flash Disk, 128 MB Firmware flash.
Weight 160g
Battery Li-Polymer 1000mAh
I/O A. 3.5mm stereo audio jack for earphone,
B. USB 2.0 Port,
C. SDHC slot (supports up to 16GB)
Working Temperature 0℃ to 40℃
Storage Temperature -20℃ to 55℃
Format Support PDF, TXT, RTF, EPUB, LIT, PPT, WOLF, DOC, CHM, FB2, HTML, DJVU, MP3, TIFF, JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, RAR, ZIP,MOBI.
DRM Adobe content server (PDF, ePUB)
Operating System Linux OS
CPU: Samsung Arm 9 400MHz processor
Accessories: USB cable, charger, User Manual, Earphone

WHY DID I CHOOSE ASTAK 5" EZREADER PRO? Well.. you can say that i'm really a fan of the color PINK , not the biggest reason, but still.. part of it. Also, it supports LOTS OF FILE FORMATS PDF, TXT, RTF, EPUB, LIT, PPT, WOLF, DOC, CHM, FB2,
HTML, DJVU, MP3, TIFF, JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, RAR, ZIP,MOBI
And for a first ereader, this is quite good. I didn't want to jump to the kindle bandwagon right away.. maybe someday when they offer a device which is bigger and better in a lower price. Don't get me wrong, i wanted to buy a K3 but then, astak made me change my mind..
I ordered it in pink.. and i love the fact that my color preference was granted

here are some pics

This is the box..it was sealed when i first got it @ JAC gil puyat branch

IMG-3420.JPG

And here is what's inside, you can see the box of the ezreader pro and scattered inside are some foams for protection

IMG-3421.JPG

The Box...

IMG-3424.JPG

This is my pink astak pocket pro

IMG-3426.JPG

A picture of when it starts up (still with plastic)

IMG-3428.JPG

A sample picture from my BLUE BLOODS novel, still with plastic

IMG-3435.JPG

A picture from one of my favorite Manga today.. Kaichou wa! maid sama

IMG-3472.JPG

From Mortal instruments, City of Glass

IMG-3475.JPG

A picture of it with the sleeve cover

IMG-3477.JPG

The cover...

IMG-3438.JPG

Pretty much all of the contents with the boxes

IMG-3443.JPG

My thoughts:

Oh what else can i say? I LOVE THIS DEVICE? I REAAALLY LOVE THIS DEVICE? OR I REALLY REALLLLY LOVE THIS DEVICE? haha!
Its a handy one which i can bring anywhere.. and.... will not hurt my eyes! what else can i ask for? =)

Its great to have this device since i REALLY REALLY LOVE READING.. :thumbsup: I believe that there is no such thing as a perfect reading device for everybody (collectively speaking).. instead, there's a perfect reader out there for you and you alone (individually).. for me.. this is it, no internet, no 3g whatsoever (i can't and won't have to use it anyway)...

Thanks again (and i won't get tired saying this) to symbianize's forums and to Ms. diokdin for helping me out. :salute:

Last edited:
@yche09, love the pics. :) Very happy for you. If my thanks button is enable right now, I'll click it but I'm pass my quota for now. Ang cute din pala ng pink. :) Am happy for you that you got your ebook reader now. I can feel you excitement... :)

Note: funny I'm reading Blue Bloods right now. LOL!

Last edited:
@yche09, love the pics. :) Very happy for you. If my thanks button is enable right now, I'll click it but I'm pass my quota for now. Ang cute din pala ng pink. :) Am happy for you that you got your ebook reader now. I can feel you excitement... :)

Note: funny I'm reading Blue Bloods right now. LOL!

Awww.. thank you :) wouldn't have bought it if not for your posts and replies so i'm giving you my applause :clap: the pics are shot last night.. halos lumipad ako paakyat to ready my digicam and my subjects :lol:

Sana makatulong tong post na eto to those people na may doubt bumili sa ibang bansa..

Oh and i would like to point out that i tried looking for ebook readers here in the Philippines at first..

I found Kindle, Nook and Bebook i think.. in MOA 2nd floor, the 6" kindle and Nook are priced P21,000 while yung Kindle DX is 29,000..super mahal right? at grabe sila magpatong. I also found Sony PRS 600 (15,900) and PRS300 (11,500) @ gadget grocery (manila based online shop). I was about to buy the sony prs300 to avoid all the hassles of credit card buying, but i never really liked it.. mainly because i know that its slower and it doesn't have sd card slot..

awwww.. i like this one.. ganda ng color uber :thumbsup:... hanap muna ako dito sa pinas baka naman etong mga cover eh meron naman dito (sana :pray:) , well pag wala.. at least i now know where and how to buy pag wala dito. hehehe :lol:

I know, right? Very nice tignan. Maganda pagka pink nya na color. :) Yeah, you could shop around there and see if may book cover dyan for your EZ Reader. Yung 5" Bebook is the same as EZ Reader din naman. So look at MOA who are selling BeBook if they are also selling accessories. :) But if not, you got the link. ;)

Note: Yung BeBook Mini 5" ha ang same sa EZ Reader mo.

Last edited:
@ yche09---love the color of your ebook reader. seems we both like pink. :lol:

a couple of months ago i bought an ebook reader, it's a sony pocket reader. and guess what? it's pink! :lol: haven't got the chance to take a pic but i found one in the net.

21rZRDoUVOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

super duper love it. i'ts always with me since it's so handy. congrats on yours and enjoy! :D

Last edited:
@ yche09---love the color of your ebook reader. seems we both like pink. :lol:

a couple of months ago i bought an ebook reader, it's a sony pocket reader. and guess what? it's pink! :lol: haven't got the chance to take a pic but i found one in the net.

21rZRDoUVOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

super duper love it. i'ts always with me since it's so handy. congrats on yours and enjoy! :D

OH MY! thank you. what a coincidence! that is exactly the reader i was about to buy before i knew about Johnny air cargo.. yea, i was also enticed with the rose color of sony prs300..

salamat po.. yes i am now really enjoying as in parang hindi ko alam kung anong babasahin ko hehehe. Sana post pa nung iba yung pics ng mga reader nila.. :yipee:

I know, right? Very nice tignan. Maganda pagka pink nya na color. :) Yeah, you could shop around there and see if may book cover dyan for your EZ Reader. Yung 5" Bebook is the same as EZ Reader din naman. So look at MOA who are selling BeBook if they are also selling accessories. :) But if not, you got the link. ;)

Note: Yung BeBook Mini 5" ha ang same sa EZ Reader mo.

Awww.. i called the store na nasa MOA, unfortunately wala daw sila nung cover sleeve.. :weep: how sad.. tinawagan ko agad eh super na excite. hehe. Maybe i'll go to MOA on my day off para maka ikot... oh well, i guess pag wala.. at least i'll get the hot pink one on the internet :).

Pag may alam po kayo guys na suggestion on where i can buy dito sa Pinas, please post here ha.. salamat :)

@Lilac, when I was looking for ebook readers yung pink PRS 300 din is one of the choices I want to buy. My choices were Sony and Nook, didn't consider Kindle, bec close product cya. But after more research I found Astak kaya I bought the Maroon color at dami ding format ok e read and external SD card slot, removeable battery etc with the same price sa Sony PRS300. And it was my first ebook reader so I bought Astak.

Awww.. i called the store na nasa MOA, unfortunately wala daw sila nung cover sleeve.. :weep: how sad.. tinawagan ko agad eh super na excite. hehe. Maybe i'll go to MOA on my day off para maka ikot... oh well, i guess pag wala.. at least i'll get the hot pink one on the internet :).

Pag may alam po kayo guys na suggestion on where i can buy dito sa Pinas, please post here ha.. salamat :)

Wellll, baka sa internet din bagsak mo in buying a cover if hindi ka makakakita dyan....

@ diokdin -- i was planning on buying kindle but since hindi ko naman gagamitin ang amazon for books nagbago isip ko. settled for Sony, plus the color is a bonus. i just love reading in it. exactly right for my reading preference (me lying in bed holding the reader in one hand) now the only thing i want next for is a reading light. :lol:

^ i hope there is or soon there would be a local store for ebook readers/ accessories (yung hindi magpaprice ng sobra sobra). Pero i guess since sa Pinas kasi hindi gaanong nagagamit,unless avid reader ka talaga... baka malayo pa mangyare..

@diokdin: yep muka nga pong internet na din ang bagsak ko neto. hehehe, unless merong gumagawa ng specifically made na cover dito..

Back
Top Bottom