Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

January
Saturday

Mad FOR THE lORd

…they said, “He is out of his mind.” – Mark 3:21

Saint Francis De Sales belonged to a wealthy family. He completed a doctorate in Law to follow his parents’ wishes. Then a “voice” told him to “leave all and follow Me.” He felt he had a call to priesthood and he abandoned his plans to seek a position as senate advocate.
You can imagine what his parents and relatives thought of him! Yet, although at strong odds with his parents, he went on to live a prayerful life and, with the help of the bishop of Geneva, his family conceded. So he pursued priesthood and brought many to the Catholic Church with his preaching, writings, efforts to defend the Catholic faith
from Protestants and many other works, especially when he eventually became the bishop of Geneva.
St. Francis’ struggle to follow the Lord was not exclusive. Many saints weathered the same fate. Our Gospel tells us that Jesus Himself was called a “madman.” What would happen if Jesus succumbed to others’ views? Or if St. Francis listened to his parents to save their public image?Cristy Galang

REFLECTION:
Do I really want to follow Jesus? To be a saint? To help build the church? Am I ready and willing?

Lord, I know that surrendering to Your perfect will is what is best for me. Please give me the courage to follow You at any cost. Amen.

1st READING

It is the blood of Christ that finally washes away our sins. The Jews offered the blood of animals and birds to purify themselves — we offer the blood of Christ for our purification. This is one of the meanings of the Eucharist. We offer the sacrifice of Jesus to the Father for the remission of our sins. Because it is the blood of the Son of God, we know that it is an efficacious offering, that is, it works and does not have to be repeated. We always offer the same sacrifice Jesus offered on Calvary — we do not kill Jesus again and again!

Hebrews 9:2-3. 11-14
2 A tabernacle was constructed, the outer one, in which were the lamp-stand, the table, and the bread of offering; this is called the Holy Place. 3 Behind the second veil was the tabernacle called the Holy of Holies. 11 But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that have come to be, passing through the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made by hands, that is, not belonging to this creation, 12 he entered once for all into the sanctuary, not with the blood of goats and calves but with his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption. 13 For if the blood of goats and bulls and the sprinkling of a heifer’s ashes can sanctify those who are defiled so that their flesh is cleansed, 14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from dead works to worship the living God.

P S A L M

Psalm 47:2-3. 6-7. 8-9
r: God mounts his throne to shouts of joy: a blare of trumpets for the Lord.
1 [2] All you peoples, clap your hands, shout to God with cries of gladness, 2 [3] for the LORD, the Most High, the awesome, is the great king over all the earth. (R) 5 [6] God mounts his throne amid shouts of joy; the LORD, amid trumpet blasts. 6 [7] Sing praise to God, sing praise; sing praise to our king, sing praise. (R) 7 [8] For the king of all the earth is God; sing hymns of praise. 8 [9] God reigns over the nations, God sits upon his holy throne. (R)

G O S P E L

Today’s Gospel is very short but no less instructive than others. Jesus obviously caused quite a stir among the people with His ministry to the point that some people were claiming that He was mentally disturbed. Perhaps this was an argument used in His defense. If so, it indicates the significance of the impact His ministry had on the lives of those who encountered Him. I wonder what significance our lives have on those who encounter us?

Mark 3:20-21
20 Jesus came home. Again the crowd gathered, making it impossible for them even to eat. 21 When his relatives heard of this they set out to seize him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.”

my reflections
think: I wonder what significance our lives have on those who encounter us?

“karma” iS un-chriSTian!

“Karma.” This is an expression that many of our people use to explain their motivation to do good and to be good to others. Unknown to many, the concept of “Karma” is un- Christian (that is, not Gospel-based), and un-Filipino. The culture and the philosophy behind “Karma” is Hindu and Buddhist. Deeply considered, what “Karma” espouses is a teaching of “conditioned goodness.” That is, I do the good things I do with a somewhat selfish personal motive — that others may return the goodness, or that life may reward my goodness even more. Jesus in His Gospel, on the other hand, stresses doing good even if others do not. In fact, Jesus gave His life for us while we were yet sinners. Jesus went about doing good even to the soldiers who came to arrest Him. He restored the severed ear of one of them. Emphatically, Jesus taught in the Sermon on the Mount: “… For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? … And if you greet your brothers only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same?” (cf. Matthew 5:46-48).
Healthy living, I believe, is more than “Karma” living. Our numerous human experiences tell us that although we are helpful, many more will be those who will criticize and malign us. Some will malign us because we help persons whom they may perceive as undeserving. Others will criticize us because our goodness challenges their own brand of goodness. Healthy living then is a readiness to face life for what it really is — that life is a harvest of ungratefulness. To this, we always add the Christian prescription of forgiveness and letting go. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Beginning today, resolve to delete “Karma” from your usual way of explaining your goodness. A prayer by St. Ignatius of Loyola: “Take and receive, O Lord, my liberty. Take all my will, my mind, my memory. All things I hold and all I own are thine. Thine was the gift to thee I all resign. Do Thou direct, govern all and sway. Do what Thou wilt command and I obey. Only Thy grace, Thy love on me bestow. This makes me rich, all else will I forego.”

Lord Jesus, make my heart pure so that I will do good deeds without expecting any reward or goodness from others.

St. Francis de Sales, Bishop and Doctor, pray for us.

thanks for the Reflection.... Indeed " I am special. Jesus loves me":)

January
Sunday

FOllOW HIM

And they immediately left the nets and followed Him. – Mark 1:18

Deciding whether or not to do what God wants may not be our biggest dilemma but knowing when to do it. It’s easy to make all sorts of promises to God during an intense worship event but it’s in the everyday life that makes the difference.
The Bible says that when Jesus called His disciples, they immediately left their nets and followed Him. Don’t you think that they were without responsibilities? Of course they had. They had families! But they knew that there was nothing more important than responding to Jesus’ call.
God-given opportunities can be lost if you don’t respond when He speaks. So when He interrupts your schedule today and tells you to say a prayer for somebody, or help a beggar, or to do our jobs well, or even to forgive those who have hurt us… stop whatever you are doing and do it. Don’t start making excuses.
When God speaks, respond — now! Annette Abad-Flores

REFLECTION:
“Those who want to be my disciples must… follow me… and… the Father will honor them.” (John 12:26)

Holy Spirit, give me the strength to follow You, now and always!

St. Paul, Apostle, pray for us.

1st READING

The message of all the prophets includes a call to repentance and conversion of heart and life. This is one of the fundamental keystones of the Gospel and an essential aspect of its proclamation. Everywhere the Gospel is proclaimed, the first and most crucial fruit of its proclamation is not miracles or signs and wonders, but repentance and the lives of people undergoing conversion. Here is the truest sign of a work of God.

Jonah 3:1-5. 10
1 The word of the LORD came to Jonah a second time: 2 “Set out for the great city of Nineveh, and announce to it the message that I will tell you.” 3 So Jonah made ready and went to Nineveh, according to the LORD’s bidding. Now Nineveh was an enormously large city; it took three days to go through it. 4 Jonah began his journey through the city, and had gone but a single day’s walk announcing, “Forty days more and Nineveh shall be destroyed,” 5 when the people of Nineveh believed God; they proclaimed a fast and all of them, great and small, put on sackcloth. 10 When God saw by their actions how they turned from their evil way, he repented of the evil that he had threatened to do to them; he did not carry it out.

P S A L M

Psalm 25:4-5. 6-7. 8-9 (4a)
R: Teach me your ways, O Lord.
4 Your ways, O LORD, make known to me; teach me your paths, 5 guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my savior. (R) 6 Remember that your compassion, O LORD, and your love are from of old. 7 In your kindness remember me, because of your goodness, O LORD. (R) 8 Good and upright is the LORD; thus he shows sinners the way. 9 He guides the humble to justice, he teaches the humble his way. (R)

2nd READING

Paul’s concern is not to make life difficult for anyone. All he wants to do is see the Gospel proclaimed to all. He has an idea that the time is short, and so in his mind, there is an urgency for this to happen. He may not have been correct in thinking that the end of the world was close, but he is certainly right that there is an urgency to proclaim the Gospel — even today! The world needs to learn the truth and to live by it or else there will be more and more calamities and disasters brought about by the errant decisions of humanity.

1 Corinthians 7:29-31
29 I tell you, brothers, the time is running out. From now on, let those having wives act as not having them, 30 those weeping as not weeping, those rejoicing as not rejoicing, those buying as not owning, 31 those using the world as not using it fully. For the world in its present form is passing away.

G O S P E L

Jesus lays before us the fundamental Gospel message, “Repent and Believe.” And then we have the story of the call of the first two apostles. This is the power of the Gospel at work in the lives of men and women. This is what can happen if the Gospel is proclaimed with conviction and sincerity — the lives of men and women will be transformed! There is nothing more exciting than watching a person undergo conversion and see the way that God reveals Himself to them. They accept Him, and then the real work of change is begun and goes on and on …

Mark 1:14-20
14 After John had been arrested, Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the gospel of God: 15 “This is the time of fulfillment. The kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” 16 As he passed by the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting their nets into the sea; they were fishermen. 17 Jesus said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” 18 Then they abandoned their nets and followed him. 19 He walked along a little farther and saw James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They too were in a boat mending their nets. 20 Then he called them. So they left their father Zebedee in the boat along with the hired men and followed him.

my reflections
think: This is what happens if the Gospel is proclaimed with conviction and sincerity — the lives of men and women will be transformed.

Building The kingdom:
an inTer-generaTional concern

I joined a father of a family in celebrating another passage of a year in his life. While we were celebrating with food and drinks aplenty, he proudly told all the guests that the year for him has been extra gracious. He claimed that he received the best gift he ever could dream of: his only son, whose birthday was also forthcoming, just passed the engineering board exams, the same one he himself managed to pass years ago. The proud father said he now has the confidence that his son will carry on with what he has courageously started in the family business.
The Almighty Father works out His plan for the universe in the same way. First, He raised up the patriarchs: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and their children. Then He sent the prophets who interacted with the kings in building up Israel as the Chosen People. John the Baptist came. The Gospel story says that after John, Jesus began His most important ministry as the Only Son sent by the Father. The Gospel goes on to tell us that Jesus also selected the first disciples whom He trained to be the next “fishers of men.”
The rationale for the generations is not to simply have a mere continuation of tasks. Rather, each generation is to build on — in a taller way, a better way — what the forefathers have established. Each generation has a valuable contribution in the grand plan. Each generation is this important. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Reflecting on events and developments in your family, what unique contribution does your generation make in the family’s history? In your community or in your parish, try to appreciate the previous generations of volunteers who made valuable contributions to advance the community and/or parish. Spend some time in your prayer in lifting up to God the new and forthcoming generations in your family, in your company, in your community and in your Christian groups. Pray for God’s protection and anointing for the persons concerned.

Lord Jesus, help me to do my humble part in building Your Kingdom on earth. I thank You for the work of the past generations in strengthening the Church as it is now.

St. Paul, Apostle, pray for us.

January
Monday

Memorial of Sts. Timothy and Titus, bishops

THERE IS STRENGTH IN BONdING

“And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand.” – Mark 3:25

I remember trying out for the rowing team in college. I didn’t make it. But I learned something from my friend who was already a member.
He said that they had just defeated their opponents who were bigger, stronger and slightly more experienced. How? His answer: “Because in our team we’re good friends. We did better because we were so tight, not just as a team but as a barkada.”
There is strength in numbers. And there’s even more strength in the bond between those who make up that number. I guess that’s why companies invest so much in teambuilding seminars. If you want to achieve a goal, you have to have strong relationships. Just as a house cannot stand if its members are divided so will it not fall if its members are united.
Gets me thinking of what role I play in the “teams” I’m part of.George Gabriel

REFLECTION:
Are you a source of bonding or of division?

Lord, make me a team player.

1st READING

Paul leaves Titus in Crete to look after the fledgling community there. I find it important that one of the roles he has is to correct any wrong practices in the community. It is never enough for a leader just to be nice. A good leader must always look for ways to call people in their service of the community and their individual faith walks. This is never easy to do, but someone has to do it! Ultimately, as the saying goes, ‘the buck stops with the person in charge.’

2 Timothy 1:1-8 (or Titus 1:1-5)
1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God for the promise of life in Christ Jesus, 2 to Timothy, my dear child: grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. 3 I am grateful to God, whom I worship with a clear conscience as my ancestors did, as I remember you constantly in my prayers, night and day. 4 I yearn to see you again, recalling your tears, so that I may be filled with joy, 5 as I recall your sincere faith that first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and that I am confident lives also in you. 6 For this reason, I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands. 7 For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control. 8 So do not be ashamed of your testimony to our Lord, nor of me, a prisoner for his sake; but bear your share of hardship for the gospel with the strength that comes from God.

P S A L M

Psalm 96:1-2a. 2b-3. 7-8a. 10
R: Proclaim God’s marvelous deeds to all the nations.
1 Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all you lands. 2 Sing to the LORD; bless his name. (R) Announce his salvation, day after day. 3 Tell his glory among the nations; among all peoples, his wondrous deeds. (R) 7 Give to the LORD, you families of nations, give to the LORD glory and praise; 8 give to the LORD the glory due his name! (R) 10 Say among the nations: the LORD is king. He has made the world firm, not to be moved; he governs the peoples with equity. (R)

G O S P E L

Division is a killer! No, I am not talking about dreaded mathematics! I am talking about the principles of community living. As soon as there is division in any group, the group is weakened. When a Christian community weakens, it becomes ineffective both as a witness to the truth of the Gospel and also in the work of the Gospel’s proclamation. In our Christian communities, we must always seek to talk through our differences and so avoid division, and ultimately, destruction. The devil will always seek to divide us. The Holy Spirit is the principle of unity in our midst.

Mark 3:22-30 (or Luke 10:1-9)
22 The scribes who had come from Jerusalem said, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “By the prince of demons he drives out demons.” 23 Summoning them, he began to speak to them in parables, “How can Satan drive out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand; that is the end of him. 27 But no one can enter a strong man’s house to plunder his property unless he first ties up the strong man. Then he can plunder his house. 28 Amen, I say to you, all sins and all blasphemies that people utter will be forgiven them. 29 But whoever blasphemes against the holy Spirit will never have forgiveness, but is guilty of an everlasting sin.” 30 For they had said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

my reflections
think:The devil will always seek to divide us. The Holy Spirit is the principle of unity in our midst.

Memorial of Sts. Timothy and Titus, bishops

will Power

Last year, the Archdiocesan Office of Exorcism in Manila conducted a “first” seminar on deliverance and exorcism for priests and religious. The resource person, a priest from the Diocese of Rome, shared his experiences that highlight the relevance of spiritual warfare in our age. While demonstrating that the power of the devil and his minions is not simply superstition but reality, the Italian cleric however strongly said that we should never be paralyzed by fear of the devil. The devil and his cohorts are fallen angels whose powers and abilities could never be greater than God’s.
The devil loves to harass men and women because they envy our unique dignity as the image and likeness of God. They harass us through temptations. They try to let our faith waiver by their infestation of places that can render us fearful. They try to shake our trust in God even more by way of obsession through which they can make us suffer physical and emotional illnesses. And they also try to overcome us with their threat of possession.
We can gain strength from the truth that God is the One and Only Creator whose power is truly Absolute over all. We must also draw our strength in this truth: no one can enter the house, as the Gospel proclaims, unless he ties up the master of the house first. The devil and his minions cannot do anything to us if we resist with all our God-given will. The Italian exorcist also said that sinning is worse than possession because to commit sin is actually opening the door of one’s life for the devil to come with the person’s will and gusto. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
How strong is your ability to control yourself? How good are you at saying “no” to certain things — even good things — that come to you in life? Which of these things have you found most helpful in sustaining your will power to do good: Prayer? Fasting? Being with others in community? Which of these have a strong influence in your thoughts and actions? Family expectations? Pressure from friends? Demands of school or work? Dialogue with Jesus about your realization.

Lord Jesus, help me to anchor my will to Your Will so that I may not let the evil one enter my life.

St. Timothy and Titus, Bishops, pray for us.

January
Tuesday

THE RaINBOWS IN My lIFE

“(For) whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother.” – Mark 3:35

In times past, my life revolved around my family. When we were small, rarely did we play with neighbors. Usually, it was just us, seven sisters, playing around the house. Oh, I remember those times with fondness. Life was simple. Now that we are grownups and all my sisters have their own families, we still stay close to one another. We live a stone’s throw away from each other. Ah, thank God for family.
But God has expanded my territory. He didn’t want me to stay within just my family circle. An encounter with Him opened my life to let other people in.
In the last 12 years, I’ve been a part of three lay communities and been involved in a lot of endeavors, in and out of our parish. In every stop of my journey, I gained many new friends — brothers and sisters who helped me keep walking the “narrow path.” They are the rainbows in my life. In Jesus’ time, He enjoyed the company of friends, too. He went out of Nazareth and embraced people outside His family circle. His life was never the same again — in fact, He gave it for you and me. Tess Atienza

REFLECTION:
Are you still closeted in your own little world? Why are you afraid to come out?

Grant me the courage, Lord, to trust that the world outside isn’t all that bad.

1st READING

Paul leaves Titus in Crete to look after the fledgling community there. I find it important that one of the roles he has is to correct any wrong practices in the community. It is never enough for a leader just to be nice. A good leader must always look for ways to call people in their service of the community and their individual faith walks. This is never easy to do, but someone has to do it! Ultimately, as the saying goes, ‘the buck stops with the person in charge.’

2 Timothy 1:1-8 (or Titus 1:1-5)
1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God for the promise of life in Christ Jesus, 2 to Timothy, my dear child: grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. 3 I am grateful to God, whom I worship with a clear conscience as my ancestors did, as I remember you constantly in my prayers, night and day. 4 I yearn to see you again, recalling your tears, so that I may be filled with joy, 5 as I recall your sincere faith that first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and that I am confident lives also in you. 6 For this reason, I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands. 7 For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control. 8 So do not be ashamed of your testimony to our Lord, nor of me, a prisoner for his sake; but bear your share of hardship for the gospel with the strength that comes from God.

P S A L M

Psalm 96:1-2a. 2b-3. 7-8a. 10
R: Proclaim God’s marvelous deeds to all the nations.
1 Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all you lands. 2 Sing to the LORD; bless his name. (R) Announce his salvation, day after day. 3 Tell his glory among the nations; among all peoples, his wondrous deeds. (R) 7 Give to the LORD, you families of nations, give to the LORD glory and praise; 8 give to the LORD the glory due his name! (R) 10 Say among the nations: the LORD is king. He has made the world firm, not to be moved; he governs the peoples with equity. (R)

G O S P E L

Division is a killer! No, I am not talking about dreaded mathematics! I am talking about the principles of community living. As soon as there is division in any group, the group is weakened. When a Christian community weakens, it becomes ineffective both as a witness to the truth of the Gospel and also in the work of the Gospel’s proclamation. In our Christian communities, we must always seek to talk through our differences and so avoid division, and ultimately, destruction. The devil will always seek to divide us. The Holy Spirit is the principle of unity in our midst.

Mark 3:22-30 (or Luke 10:1-9)
22 The scribes who had come from Jerusalem said, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “By the prince of demons he drives out demons.” 23 Summoning them, he began to speak to them in parables, “How can Satan drive out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand; that is the end of him. 27 But no one can enter a strong man’s house to plunder his property unless he first ties up the strong man. Then he can plunder his house. 28 Amen, I say to you, all sins and all blasphemies that people utter will be forgiven them. 29 But whoever blasphemes against the holy Spirit will never have forgiveness, but is guilty of an everlasting sin.” 30 For they had said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

my reflections
think:The devil will always seek to divide us. The Holy Spirit is the principle of unity in our midst.

The STrong Bond of faiTh

We have many times heard the saying that “blood is thicker than water.” These words of wisdom tell us that there is nothing that could rival natural family affinity in binding persons. It is to the family that we go back to so that we may find our life’s bearing amidst life’s ups and downs. Our family is always our haven, our refuge, our reference point.
Going through life, though, we learn that not all family members and close blood relatives are reliable allies. Many times we have also heard how siblings go against each other in scandalous court cases. Serious political differences and ambitions brought bloodbath to persons who are supposedly of the same ancestry and lineage. In contrast, we hear how non-related couples who just met in Marriage Encounter weekends refer to one another as “Tito,” “Tita,” “Brother” or “Sister.” We witness how Christians who meet in renewal groups, such as the charismatic movement, greet each other with sincere embraces of fraternal love and concern. Members of these Christian groups claim that their relationship with one another have made them even closer to each other compared to their not-so-casual relationships with their blood relations.
Indeed, our spiritual ties of faith in Jesus do not only make us come close to God in prayer. Necessarily, true faith builds up our friendships into deeper ties conditioned not by any financial or material considerations. Faith makes us more open to sincerely share our experiences, our trials and triumphs. Faith makes us more generous to give and receive, even beyond the guarantees of material resources. Faith makes it more possible for us to forgive and to ask forgiveness in the face of human frailties. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Count the persons who have become family to you, not by blood or marriage, but through faith in Jesus. Even with persons who are related with you by blood, how has the gift of a common faith renewed in Jesus helped deepen your relations?

Lord Jesus, may my faith be strong enough to enable me to embrace sincerely my fraternal relationship with the rest of humanity.

St. Angela Merici, Virgin, pray for us.

January
Wednesday

THE SEEd

“The sower sows the word.” – Mark 4:14

I wrapped my Bible with a bookstore cover. I didn’t want my former gang to discover that I was attending prayer meetings. If these toughies find out, they’d surely ridicule me. But the preacher in the prayer meeting spoke about Mark 8:38 — that God will be ashamedof the ones who are ashamed of Him. The following prayer meeting I carried my Bible, this time with no more covers. My gang saw it. They sarcastically sang a joyful song complete with choreography, “Ang mga ibon….”
I persisted and became an active member of my community because the seed of the Gospel was sown. For me, the Gospel will always mean S-E-E-D. “S” for sincerity. The Gospel helped me remove my mask as “The Great Pretender.” The process was painful yet liberating. “E” for endurance. Injustice prevails in our society, so I learned to justtiis! I decide to endure hardships and move on heavenwards. “E” for enthusiasm. I battle sadness by choosing a zealous and healthy outlook in life. And “D” for devotion. From a person whose religion was ideology and blind fanaticism, I deepened my prayer life in God.
Oh, remember my gang? They’re now active in the Church and in their own Catholic communities. Some SEED eh?Obet Cabrillas

REFLECTION:
“Preach the Gospel. Use words if you must.” (St. Francis of Assisi)

Lord, let the word of Christ dwell in me richly and bear fruit in my life.

1st READING

God deals with sin definitively. What a pity it is that we do not take hold of His offer of victory just as definitively. If only we realize the absolute horror sin is to God, we would be much less inclined to commit it. Jesus offers us His victory on the cross. The perverse truth is that we all too often simply ignore His offer and continue in sin. Why do we do this? Ask yourself for the answer to this question. Then and only then will we realize what is on offer to us and how crazy we are not to accept the gift of salvation in its fullness.

Hebrews 10:11-18
11 Every priest stands daily at his ministry, offering frequently those same sacrifices that can never take away sins. 12 But this one offered one sacrifice for sins, and took his seat forever at the right hand of God; 13 now he waits until his enemies are made his footstool. 14 For by one offering he has made perfect forever those who are being consecrated. 15 The holy Spirit also testifies to us, for after saying: 16 “This is the covenant I will establish with them after those days, says the Lord: ‘I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them upon their minds,’ ” 17 he also says: “Their sins and their evildoing I will remember no more.” 18 Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer offering for sin.

P S A L M

Psalm 110:1. 2. 3. 4
R: You are a priest forever, in the line of Melchizedeck.
1 The LORD said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand till I make your enemies your footstool.” (R) 2 The scepter of your power the LORD will stretch forth from Zion The Lord says, “Rule in the midst of your enemies.” (R) 3 “Yours is princely power in the day of your birth, in holy splendor; before the daystar, like the dew, I have begotten you.” (R) 4 The LORD has sworn, and he will not repent: “You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchizedek.” (R)
G O S P E L

The secular mentality and agenda of the world today does a great job of choking off any sort of religiosity before it can get too set. This is a great shame as what this means is that we are discarding the certainty of truth for the winds of whatever prevailing fad or fashion happens to be ‘in’ at the moment. In order to overcome this problem, the Church will need a series of generations to reject the relativism of the world, and return to the sure anchor of truth of which it seems the Church is the last, if not the only remaining, custodian!

Mark 4:1-20
1 On another occasion he began to teach by the sea. A very large crowd gathered around him so that he got into a boat on the sea and sat down. And the whole crowd was beside the sea on land. 2 And he taught them at length in parables, and in the course of his instruction he said to them, 3 “Hear this! A sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Other seed fell on rocky ground where it had little soil. It sprang up at once because the soil was not deep. 6 And when the sun rose, it was scorched and it withered for lack of roots. 7 Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it and it produced no grain. 8 And some seed fell on rich soil and produced fruit. It came up and grew and yielded thirty, sixty, and a hundredfold.” 9 He added, “Whoever has ears to hear ought to hear.” 10 And when he was alone, those present along with the Twelve questioned him about the parables. 11 He answered them, “The mystery of the kingdom of God has been granted to you. But to those outside everything comes in parables, 12 so that ‘they may look and see but not perceive, and hear and listen but not understand, in order that they may not be converted and be forgiven.’” 13 Jesus said to them, “Do you not understand this parable? Then how will you understand any of the parables? 14 The sower sows the word. 15 These are the ones on the path where the word is sown. As soon as they hear, Satan comes at once and takes away the word sown in them. 16 And these are the ones sown on rocky ground who, when they hear the word, receive it at once with joy. 17 But they have no root; they last only for a time. Then when tribulation or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 18 Those sown among thorns are another sort. They are the people who hear the word, 19 but worldly anxiety, the lure of riches, and the craving for other things intrude and choke the word, and it bears no fruit. 20 But those sown on rich soil are the ones who hear the word and accept it and bear fruit thirty and sixty and a hundredfold.”

my reflections
think:If only we realize the absolute horror sin is to God, we would be much less inclined to commit it.

generaTion on The go

A well-known Japanese filmmaker made a very emphatic cinema about our culture by putting together without any commentary a collage of various daily scenes: people rushing through street crossings, trains churning with lightning speed, cars speeding up on freeways, elevators shooting up and down the building, etc. In the rush, everything seems reduced to being a component of a mechanical movement. Art, leisure, meditation and mysticism seem all lost.
Jesus is right. Seeds of wisdom and divine inspiration can do nothing in a “footpath” culture. The heart, under such condition, is busy pumping the needed biological sustenance for muscles and veins. The heart has no time to ponder.
Instead, note the divine rhythm that unfolds for us from Genesis:
· Evening came, and morning followed…
· On the seventh day God rested…
· After raining for 40 days and 40 nights, the rains stopped for 40 days and 40 nights… and dry land appeared during the time of Noah...
· After the slavery of 400 years, came the twilight Passover…
· After 50 days of journey from Egypt, the Israelites journeyed on a staggered basis to the Promised land for 40 years…
· Prophecy was silent in Israel for 400 years until John the Baptist appeared…
· Jesus waited for 30 years in hiddenness and silence, then He embarked on His public ministry for three years.
· After the intensity of Good Friday, there was darkness and the silence of the tomb that led to the Resurrection.
· After the Damascus experience, Paul spent three years of retreat in the desert of Arabia before he had his three mission journeys. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Do you often hear yourself making a convenient alibi out of your being busy? What is the Lord telling you about this? Meditate on this truth: When we are sick, all urgencies about work stop. Money, work, deadlines and people’s demands all take a backseat.

Lord Jesus, help me to take the time to pause and let Your Spirit fill me and invigorate me for a more fruitful life.

St. Thomas Aquinas, Priest and Doctor, pray for us.

January
Thursday

NO dEal

Let us hold unwaveringly to our confession that gives us hope… – Hebrews 10:23

When I was still working as a bank auditor, I developed a special interest in training. So I inquired from one of the popular training companies in the country about a possible career in training.
On the phone, I asked the employee on the other end of the line regarding the type of seminars they conducted, their schedules, and the requirements for and qualifications of a training practitioner. During our conversation, I mentioned to her, among other things, about my involvement with a prayer community and how active I was in my service.
I was surprised when she warned me that I shouldn’t disclose that information to the interviewer. It would be to my disadvantage, she added. She didn’t explain why but I sensed that spiritual matters had no room in their company. That information made me think and reconsider my plans.
In the end, I didn’t pursue my application in that company. I couldn’t compromise my spiritual life. What would it profit me if I got the job but would have to turn my back on the things that matter most? For me, it wasn’t a good deal after all. Judith Concepcion

REFLECTION:
What deals have you entered into lately? Was it worth it? Would Jesus be pleased with it?

Whenever I make a wrong turn, Lord, lead me back to the right path.

1st READING

We return to relationship with the Father through the blood of Jesus. We live in this relationship by faith and persevere in it through the hope of the final promise of salvation. We seek to live holy lives together, encouraging one another to overcome the sin so that the righteousness of God will be manifest in and through our lives. This is our life, this is our destiny, this is our calling.

Hebrews 10:19-25
19 Brothers and sisters: Since through the blood of Jesus we have confidence of entrance into the sanctuary 20 by the new and living way he opened for us through the veil, that is, his flesh, 21 and since we have “a great priest over the house of God,” 22 let us approach with a sincere heart and in absolute trust, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed in pure water. 23 Let us hold unwaveringly to our confession that gives us hope, for he who made the promise is trustworthy. 24 We must consider how to rouse one another to love and good works. 25 We should not stay away from our assembly, as is the custom of some, but encourage one another, and this all the more as you see the day drawing near.

P S A L M

Psalm 24:1-2. 3-4ab. 5-6
R: Lord, this is the people that longs to see your face.
1 The LORD’s are the earth and its fullness; the world and those who dwell in it. 2 For he founded it upon the seas and established it upon the rivers. (R) 3 Who can ascend the mountain of the LORD? Or who may stand in his holy place? 4 He whose hands are sinless, whose heart is clean, who desires not what is vain. (R) 5 He shall receive a blessing from the LORD, a reward from God his savior. 6 Such is the race that seeks for him, that seeks the face of the God of Jacob. (R)

G O S P E L

I do not have time for anyone who is unwilling to stand by what he believes. This is what it means to be a disciple and witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is not enough to know the Gospel. We must also live it as a witness to the world and be wiling to proclaim and defend it when it comes under attack.

Mark 4:21-25
21 Jesus said to his disciples, “Is a lamp brought in to be placed under a bushel basket or under a bed, and not to be placed on a lampstand? 22 For there is nothing hidden except to be made visible; nothing is secret except to come to light. 23 Anyone who has ears to hear ought to hear.” 24 He also told them, “Take care what you hear. The measure with which you measure will be measured out to you, and still more will be given to you. 25 To the one who has, more will be given; from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.”

my reflections
think:We return to relationship with the Father through the blood of Jesus.

God’s special verse/thought for me today________________

T O D A Y ’ S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: ____________________________________

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Psalm 11-15

TruTh iS TimeleSS

Working for truth and justice and for all other good causes can be frustrating. Many times, it may seem that luck and graces are on the side of evil. Evil men tend to prosper; the righteous ones suffer and are put to shame. Media men are silenced with bullets and facts are muzzled with money that comes from drug lords and gamblers. Church people are chided; corrupt people walk with unruffled brows in the corridors of power. These lead many to ask: Is there a God? If God is there, He seems too silent.
The Good News today reminds us never to despair. Truth is eternal and it is never altered although it is hidden. In due time — that is, God’s time — the truth will come out. Initially dubbed as Germany’s charismatic leader, Hitler is now history’s ignominity while Maximilian Kolbe’s martyrdom is constantly recalled.
This world may seem to be the realm of the powerful and the crooked. Here they wallow in their influence, in their wealth. Soon though, we remember that this world is passing. Death comes; cancers strike, proud hearts burst in their arrogance. Eternity and light are God’s alone. Towards the conclusion of Pope Benedict’s “Spe Salvi,” he wrote, “This is our final school of hope — that in God there is judgment.” In that judgment, the Holy Father muses, “the victim and the victimizer will not recline at the banquet table side by side, as if nothing happened.” Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
What are your own personal pains and frustrations about issues of truth and justice in our own society? Re-read the Gospel text today and lift up to God your heart’s disappointments. Take the time to pray for the following: innocent prisoners who languish in prison, political detainees, groups experiencing religious persecutions, persons marginalized by their own communities because of differences of ideas. For us all, pray for the renewal of hope.

Lord Jesus, strengthen my hope that in You there is judgment so that I may continue to walk in the right path despite the lure of material blessings if I walk the other way.

Blessed Joseph Freinadimetz, pray for us.

January
Friday

EXTRaORdINaRIly FaITHFUl

Do not throw away your confidence; it will have great recompense. – Hebrews 10:35

A super-typhoon was going to hit Manila on the first day of the Kerygma Conference 2007. Because of that, we weren’t sure how many people would come. It was also the first time we would hold a conference of this magnitude, so there were a number of apprehensions.
A few days before the event, we went back to the venue and I noticed that there were rain buckets scattered all over. Oh no! So I prayed, “Lord, You really have to stop the rain. We can’t afford for the people to get wet. It’s Your conference. You will have to take care of it.”
Personally, it never occurred to me to cancel or postpone the conference. For me, the event was God’s so He would do with it as He saw fit. In the end, the storm bypassed Manila, we had a successful conference and God was glorified.
Some have called me naïve for my tendency to hope for the best. But it’s not really naïveté. I have great hope in my heart because, as what Paul says, “I know in Whom I have believed” (1 Timothy 1:12). And He is extraordinarily faithful.Joy Sosoban

REFLECTION:
Do you believe even beyond circumstances that God orders everything for your best?

Dear Lord, You have always been and will continue to be faithful. Let my confidence in You never fail.

1st READING

We all like to experience the consolation of faith. However, the truth is we must also be willing to embrace the struggles, trials and even sufferings that will come to us as we seek to live holy lives in the midst of a world that is so often contrary in its relationship to Christianity. It will not be easy to be a disciple of Jesus in the third millennium. We will all need the grace of God in order to persevere in our faith as well as proclaim it to others.

Hebrews 10:32-39
32 Remember the days past when, after you had been enlightened, you endured a great contest of suffering. 33 At times you were publicly exposed to abuse and affliction; at other times you associated yourselves with those so treated. 34 You even joined in the sufferings of those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, knowing that you had a better and lasting possession. 35 Therefore, do not throw away your confidence; it will have great recompense. 36 You need endurance to do the will of God and receive what he has promised. 37 “For, after just a brief moment, he who is to come shall come; he shall not delay. 38 But my just one shall live by faith, and if he draws back I take no pleasure in him.” 39 We are not among those who draw back and perish, but among those who have faith and will possess life.

P S A L M

Psalm 37:3-4. 5-6. 23-24. 39-40
R: The salvation of the just comes from the Lord.
3 Trust in the LORD and do good, that you may dwell in the land and enjoy security. 4 Take delight in the LORD, and he will grant you your heart’s requests. (R) 5 Commit to the LORD your way; trust in him, and he will act. 6 He will make justice dawn for you like the light; bright as the noonday shall be your vindication. (R) 23 By the LORD are the steps of a man made firm, and he approves his way. 24 Though he fall, he does not lie prostrate, for the hand of the LORD sustains him. (R) 39 The salvation of the just is from the LORD; he is their refuge in time of distress. 40 And the LORD helps them and delivers them; he delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in him. (R)

G O S P E L

Faith is not necessarily something that is at first obvious or apparent in a person’s life. It is not always those who are the most articulate who form the best witnesses to the Gospel. Sometimes it is the person who quietly yet assuredly goes about his or her business of living the Christian life and loving his or her neighbor who best reflects everything we want the Gospel to say.

Mark 4:26-34
26 Jesus said to the crowds: “This is how it is with the kingdom of God; it is as if a man were to scatter seed on the land 27 and would sleep and rise night and day and the seed would sprout and grow, he knows not how. 28 Of its own accord the land yields fruit, first the blade, then the ear, then the full grain in the ear. 29 And when the grain is ripe, he wields the sickle at once, for the harvest has come.” 30 He said, “To what shall we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable can we use for it? 31 It is like a mustard seed that, when it is sown in the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on the earth. 32 But once it is sown, it springs up and becomes the largest of plants and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the sky can dwell in its shade.” 33 With many such parables he spoke the word to them as they were able to understand it. 34 Without parables he did not speak to them, but to his own disciples he explained everything in private.

my reflections
think:We will all need the grace of God in order to persevere in our faith as well as proclaim it to others.

growing in god, growing wiTh god —
growing wiThouT Trying hard

As I write these verses, I am about to celebrate 20 years of priesthood. I had no plans of celebrating, for I thought it would be better to celebrate later, when the silver anniversary comes around. Frankly, I also have not been keen about counting the years that passed by since that Easter Sunday morning that I received my priestly ordination. There was much to do in my assignments in the Society of Saint Paul and in my various priestly ministries. Hence, I lived each day and was content to face each day as it came. I dared not project myself too far into time; I dared not be bothered by schedules that are yet two or three months away. Each day was enough with its own concern and worries. I am just surprised that I have passed through all — even the worst and the most grinding of days.
Our Gospel now invites us into this graceful and grace-filled way of living. Plant. Do your share. However, let God also have His own space and time. Never be overwhelmed. The world existed before us and it will move on without us.
Life is a gift to be savored, an adventure to be discovered. The best thing is to go with the rhythm. Way back our school days, we often heard the teacher say: “Finished or not finished, stop and pass the papers.” Yes, spirituality is also about learning to let go with God and in God. Finished or not finished, stop and let God take control. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Evaluate the rhythm of your life. Do you get enough sleep and relaxation? Do you find it easy to sleep and relax? Why? Or why not?

Let this be your prayer today: “Lord God, give me the peace of not always having to know what is going to happen next. Help me to trust in You at all times. Amen.”

St. Martina, Virgin and Martyr, pray for us.

:thanks: sa mga reflections kerst...
as what Paul says, “I know in Whom I have believed” (1 Timothy 1:12)
:)

"Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation." -- Elton Trueblood

Last edited:
February
Friday

SAKSAK QUEEN

Thus we may say with confidence: “The Lord is my helper, (and) I will not be afraid. What can anyone do to me?” – Hebrews 13:6

We call her the “saksak queen” or the butcher queen because she killed her husband with 59 thrusts of a butcher knife.
Living with a husband who was irresponsible, a gambler and a drunkard for many years took its toll. Coming home from work one night, she finds him drinking with his buddies in their living room.
Her husband falls asleep but after a few minutes, he wakes up, gets his knife under his pillow and attacks her. She runs to the kitchen, grabs her butcher knife, parries and evades his thrusts. They fight, scramble, fall down the stairs, until they reach the gate where she stabs him 59 times.
Nympha was incarcerated. After serving a number of years, she was released for good behavior. When she was interviewed for one of our shows, she only had high praises for God. “All the time, I knew that He was there and He never abandoned me. I never feared because the Lord is my helper,” she said. Chelle Crisanto

REFLECTION:
Have you ever experienced the pits in your life? Can you say that you held on to God despite how miserable your life was?

Let me keep my faith, Lord, that I may never wane in my trust no matter what circumstance comes into my life.

1st READING

One of the first rules of happiness is to learn to be happy with what we have, and not always to wish and strive for the things that we will never be able to achieve or get. Yes, we can aspire for a better way of life, whatever that might mean, but we will never achieve that goal if we are incapable of being happy where we are at the present moment. This does not mean we have to settle for less, but let’s be realistic when we set goals for our lives.

Hebrews 13:1-8
1 Let mutual love continue. 2 Do not neglect hospitality, for through it some have unknowingly entertained angels. 3 Be mindful of prisoners as if sharing their imprisonment, and of the ill-treated as of yourselves, for you also are in the body. 4 Let marriage be honored among all and the marriage bed be kept undefiled, for God will judge the immoral and adulterers. 5 Let your life be free from love of money but be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never forsake you or abandon you.” 6 Thus we may say with confidence: “The Lord is my helper, [and] I will not be afraid. What can anyone do to me?” 7 Remember your leaders who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. 8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

P S A L M

Psalm 27:1. 3. 5. 8b-9abc
R: The Lord is my light and my salvation.
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom should I fear? The LORD is my life’s refuge; of whom should I be afraid? (R) 3 Though an army encamp against me, my heart will not fear; though war be waged upon me, even then will I trust. (R) 5 For he will hide me in his abode in the day of trouble; he will conceal me in the shelter of his tent, he will set me high upon a rock. (R) 8 Your presence, O LORD, I seek. 9 Hide not your face from me; do not in anger repel your servant. You are my helper cast me not off. (R)

G O S P E L

Herod knows that John the Baptist is a good man. Yet, he has made a promise that has left him in a compromised situation. He has to decide as to whether he will act according to his conscience or give in to his fear of what others think about him. I am sure each of us will face similar dilemmas in our own lives. It is important that we be grounded in our faith and trust in God so that we will be able to make a better choice than Herod.

Mark 6:14-29
14 King Herod heard about it, for his fame had become widespread, and people were saying, “John the Baptist has been raised from the dead; that is why mighty powers are at work in him.” 15 Others were saying, “He is Elijah”; still others, “He is a prophet like any of the prophets.” 16 But when Herod learned of it, he said, “It is John whom I beheaded. He has been raised up.” 17 Herod was the one who had John arrested and bound in prison on account of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip, whom he had married. 18 John had said to Herod, “It is not lawful for you to have your brother’s wife.” 19 Herodias harbored a grudge against him and wanted to kill him but was unable to do so. 20 Herod feared John, knowing him to be a righteous and holy man, and kept him in custody. When he heard him speak he was very much perplexed, yet he liked to listen to him. 21 She had an opportunity one day when Herod, on his birthday, gave a banquet for his courtiers, his military officers, and the leading men of Galilee. 22 Herodias’s own daughter came in and performed a dance that delighted Herod and his guests. The king said to the girl, “Ask of me whatever you wish and I will grant it to you.” 23 He even swore [many things] to her, “I will grant you whatever you ask of me, even to half of my kingdom.” 24 She went out and said to her mother, “What shall I ask for?” She replied, “The head of John the Baptist.” 25 The girl hurried back to the king’s presence and made her request, “I want you to give me at once on a platter the head of John the Baptist.” 26 The king was deeply distressed, but because of his oaths and the guests he did not wish to break his word to her. 27 So he promptly dispatched an executioner with orders to bring back his head. He went off and beheaded him in the prison. 28 He brought in the head on a platter and gave it to the girl. The girl in turn gave it to her mother. 29 When his disciples heard about it, they came and took his body and laid it in a tomb.

my reflections
think:One of the first rules of happiness is to learn to be happy with what we have.

The Power of reVenge

I find it horrible to imagine the head of John the Baptist on a platter. Herod is known for his bloodthirsty acts. His wife, who happens to be his brother’s wife, is no different. We see in this story how far revenge and resentment can go if we allow it to take its stronghold on our lives.
King Herod has heard raving reports about Jesus. He thinks John the Baptist has been raised from the dead. The evangelist goes back in time to narrate in detail the beheading of the Baptist — the forerunner of Jesus’ mission.
Herodias, the wife of Philip and then Herod, we are told, harbored a grudge against John the Baptist because he spoke the truth. John informed Herod that it was wrong to take another man’s wife, let alone his brother’s wife. And so Herodias was outraged by this and held onto the grudge. She wanted to kill him but was unable to fulfill her desire, until an opportunity came. Herod, on the other hand, liked John. He liked to listen to him, even though it perplexed him. One day, the daughter of Herod delights her father through dancing. The king offers her anything, even up to half his Kingdom — generous King that he is! Reluctantly, he gave into her daughter’s wish, which was in fact the wish of her mother, and presents her with the head of John. This is outrageous! Horrendous! Disturbing! All this time the wife of Herod held on to this grudge and finally got her way. Sin is always crouching at our door ready to enter if we give way to it.
We must be rid of all revenge, resentment and all evil. It is like a cancer that will eat us up and erode all sense of moral values if we give into it. How many years did Herodias entertain this thought of revenge? She must have been restless for years before and after the beheading of John the Baptist. What a terrible way to live, waiting for revenge to raise its ugly head. Fr. Brian Steele, MGL

Reflection Question:
Am I holding onto grudges in my life? What are these resentments?

Lord, I choose to let go of sin in my life. I ask You to forgive me for my resentments and revenge that I have held onto, often hidden in my heart. Help me to be more like You, compassionate, loving and forgiving. Amen

St. Paul Miki and Companions, Martyrs, pray for us.

February
Saturday

GREaT lEadERS, GREaT FOllOWERS

“Obey your leaders and defer to them…” – Hebrews 13:17

I’ve been a leader all my life — at home, in school, in organizations, in business, in the ministry. People follow and obey me. But I discovered that I, too, have been a follower all my life. That’s because there would always be leaders above me. And every time there’s a temptation as a follower not to obey my leader, I remember that I am a leader, too. And as such, I do not want my followers disobeying me.
As the leader of my band, I am democratic when it comes to listening to my members’ suggestions. But at the end of the day, I’d still have the last say. I’m the one fully responsible. But as a member of another singing group of
preachers, I’m under a leader-director. And while I give suggestions as an experienced singer, musician, artist and director, I have to submit to our leader and give him the last say. He’s in charge when it comes to this group.
The Apostles were great leaders because they were great followers. Of course we know that there are incompetent, abusive, corrupt leaders. But in going against them, be sure you don’t become one. That’s why I have a quick advice to a member who does nothing but complain, question and disobey his or her leader: Get out!Alvin Barcelona

REFLECTION:
Are you a leader? Do you want your members to disobey you? Are you a follower? Do you obey your leaders?

Lord, grant me an obedient, humble heart to be a good follower so that I can be a good leader in whatever task You give me. Amen.

1st READING

The Letter to the Hebrews concludes with a number of exhortations, all of which are important if we want to live a happy, fruitful and holy life. Obedience is not an optional extra of a disciple’s life — it is essential to the process of learning to follow the will of God. Even Jesus had to be obedient to His father! Doing good is important as it is a fruit or sign that we have truly accepted the Gospel in our lives. Humility is also essential in that we are willing to embrace and accept the gifts and will of God as the equipment necessary to live out our lives of discipleship.

Hebrews 13:15-17. 20-21
15 Brothers and sisters: Through Jesus, let us continually offer God a sacrifice of praise, that is, the fruit of lips that confess his name. 16 Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have; God is pleased by sacrifices of that kind. 17 Obey your leaders and defer to them, for they keep watch over you and will have to give an account, that they may fulfill their task with joy and not with sorrow, for that would be of no advantage to you. 20 May the God of peace, who brought up from the dead the great shepherd of the sheep by the blood of the eternal covenant, Jesus our Lord, 21 furnish you with all that is good, that you may do his will. May he carry out in you what is pleasing to him through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

P S A L M

Psalm 23:1-3a. 3b-4. 5. 6
R: The Lord is my shepherd: there is nothing I shall want.
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; 3 he refreshes my soul. (R) He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage. (R) 5 You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (R) 6 Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus retires to a quiet place to be with His disciples and reflect upon their recent experiences. Socrates advises us to regularly reflect upon our lives in order to draw forth the lessons we are being taught and thus be able to integrate these lessons. Reflection is an essential aspect of following Jesus as His disciple as it is in the quiet of these moments that God is best able to speak His truth into our hearts.

Mark 6:30-34
30 The apostles gathered together with Jesus and reported all they had done and taught. 31 He said to them, “Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” People were coming and going in great numbers, and they had no opportunity even to eat. 32 So they went off in the boat by themselves to a deserted place. 33 People saw them leaving and many came to know about it. They hastened there on foot from all the towns and arrived at the place before them. 34 When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, for they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things.

my reflections
think: Reflection is an essential aspect of following Jesus as His disciple as it is in the quiet of these moments that God is best able to speak His truth in our hearts.

come and reST for a while

We all know how it is to live busy lives. Our lives are determined by the clock. We race throughout the day attending to this or that, meeting that person, running errands and attending to our duties. And then we ask ourselves at the end of a day, “Where did the time go?” Then we say, “Where did that week, month, year go?”
Jesus knows what it’s like to be busy but He, too, knows the value of rest and recreation. Of all the Gospels, we see the humanity of Jesus most evident in the writings of Mark. Today’s Gospel is no exception.
The apostles return from their mission and are glad of what they have achieved. They report to Jesus everything. Jesus, aware of their fatigue and need for rest, tells them to come and “rest for a while.” They were to go to a deserted place and take time out — for they didn’t have time to eat. There was no shortage to their work. Many people were coming in great numbers.
The words of Jesus brought comfort to the disciples. Those same words apply to us: take a rest, come to Jesus and rest for awhile. This is the beauty of our faith. We can take time out and be with the Lord, to listen and to receive counsel from Him. Often we make ourselves busy because we are afraid of what silence can reveal to us. Some, sadly, are prone to be workaholics, which has dangerous side effects. Perhaps Jesus is saying to you today through the Gospel, “Hey, I know how busy you have been and now I call you to come and rest for a while!”
Sometimes we can be our own worst enemies and deprive ourselves of the necessary things in life. So I say to you, it’s OK to rest. The work that is put on hold for a while will still be there. And in fact, you will be more energized and strengthened if you rest for a while. Rest can mean anything from a prayer period, vacation, drive to the countryside, a relaxing meal or bonding with friends and family. All these are means by which we can come to Jesus and rest for a while. Fr. Brian Steele, MGL

Reflection Question:
Are you busy? Do you need to come and rest for a while?

Lord, You know that my day can often be filled with duties and activities. Help me to find time to rest for awhile. Strengthen me and refresh me, so that I can be a good servant for Your Kingdom. Amen.

St. Richard, King, pray for us.

13 February
Friday

TO BElIEvE OR TO dOUBT?

He ordered them not to tell anyone. – Mark 7:36

Pasig, Philsports Arena. Five sick people on wheel chairs, one priest, lots of Nikons and Canons, thousands of people surrounding a stage. One by one, the priest led the sick folk to walk from stage left to stage right. Some did so with pain but all of them quietly walked.
I was among the photographers in front with my phone camera videoing the miracle. My mind was saying, “Is this real?” In the Bible, miracles seemed to be a dime a dozen, just like the exorcism of the mute in today’s Gospel. I bet some people in the crowd echoed my sentiments — the conflicting need to believe and still doubt. Maybe that’s why Jesus always told His “patients” not to tell anyone about the miracle that they had received.
I realize now that maybe miracles aren’t for spectators. Maybe they’re really for the person who was given the gift — and the people who love that person. Jomar Hilario

REFLECTION:
When you witness a miracle, do you believe or do you doubt? Why?

Lord, banish all my doubts and help me to believe.

1st READING

The biggest mistake the woman makes here is to enter into dialogue with the serpent, Satan. When we are tempted to sin, the most sensible response is to run as far away from the temptation as we can, and as quickly as we can! If we enter into dialogue with temptation and the Devil, we are being foolish as there is no possible good that can result from such a dialogue that outweighs the good of rejecting the
temptation from the start!

Genesis 3:1-8
1 Now the serpent was the most cunning of all the animals that the LORD God had made. The serpent asked the woman, “Did God really tell you not to eat from any of the trees in the garden?” 2 The woman answered the serpent: “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden; 3 it is only about the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden that God said, “ ‘You shall not eat it or even touch it, lest you die.’ ” 4 But the serpent said to the woman: “You certainly will not die! 5 No, God knows well that the moment you eat of it your eyes will be opened and you will be like gods who know what is good and what is bad.” 6 The woman saw that the tree was good for food, pleasing to the eyes, and desirable for gaining wisdom. So she took some of its fruit and ate it; and she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized that they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made loincloths for themselves. 8 When they heard the sound of the LORD God moving about in the garden at the breezy time of the day, the man and his wife hid themselves from the LORD God among the trees of the garden.

P S A L M

Psalm 32:1-2. 5. 6. 7
R: Blessed are those whose sins are forgiven.
1 Blessed is he whose fault is taken away, whose sin is covered. 2 Blessed the man to whom the LORD imputes not guilt, in whose spirit there is no guile. (R) 5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you, my guilt I covered not. I said, “I confess my faults to the LORD,” and you took away the guilt of my sin. (R) 6 For this shall every faithful man pray to you in time of stress. Though deep waters overflow, they shall not reach him. (R) 7 You are my shelter; from distress you will preserve me; with glad cries of freedom you will ring me round. (R)

G O S P E L

Many of the healings and miracles Jesus worked caused the people to reflect upon the text in Isaiah 61:1-2 where it is prophesied that the promised Messiah would do such things. Perhaps this is why the people respond to this miracle by saying, “He does all things well, He even makes the deaf hear and the dumb speak.” There is no doubt in my mind that the claim that Jesus is the Messiah was defensible based on
the life and ministry of Jesus from the Jewish point of view.

Mark 7:31-37
31 Jesus left the district of Tyre and went by way of Sidon to the Sea of Galilee, into the district of the Decapolis. 32 And people brought to him a deaf man who had a speech impediment and begged him to lay his hand on him. 33 He took him off by himself away from the crowd. He put his finger into the man’s ears and, spitting, touched his tongue; 34 then he looked up to heaven and groaned, and said to him, “Ephphatha!” (that is, “Be opened!”) 35 And [immediately] the man’s ears were opened, his speech impediment was removed, and he spoke plainly. 36 He ordered them not to tell anyone. But the more he ordered them not to, the more they proclaimed it. 37 They were exceedingly astonished and they said, “He has done all things well. He makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.”

my reflections
think:When we are tempted to sin, the most sensible response is to run as far away from temptation as we can, as quickly as we can.

Be oPened

Can you keep a secret? This is what we see developing in the Gospel of Mark — the Messianic secret. Many times in the Gospel, we hear Jesus ordering someone whom He has healed not to tell anyone about it. However, as Mark tells us, the more He orders them not to, the more they proclaim it. We do that, too, right? When secrets are entrusted to us, we can’t wait to tell someone about it even if we made a promise not to, right?
One can read amazing stories of healing without getting too excited about them. But I think we should. Jesus comes to bring the Good News — the lame walk, the blind see, the deaf hear — this is exciting indeed. The Jewish nation understood that the Messiah would come and bring liberation — physical and spiritual. Jesus is the Messiah who came to set the captives free.
The deaf man in the Gospel today went away from Jesus a changed man. He could now hear and speak properly. Imagine his life up to this point. He could see but not hear. He could not hear the sound of people’s voices, the chirping of the birds, the gentle breeze rustling through the leaves, the rain falling on the rooftops. Imagine how often he would try to talk and others could not understand. Everything changed when he met Jesus. Isn’t it exciting?
The words Jesus spoke, “ephphatha,” were Aramaic for “be opened.” They are the same words the priest or deacon prays over the baptized child — that they would be open to the Word of God in their lives. We, too, need to have these words addressed to us every now and then. Often our hearts and minds are closed to God’s voice of healing and freedom. Perhaps we are afraid of hearing Him. We allow ourselves to be opened to the voices of others and forget that it is the Lord who brings life and freedom into our lives. As we open our hearts to the Lord, we receive the grace and help that we need to live a life worthy of His calling. As we open ourselves to this grace, we are called to share with others what God has done to us. Fr. Brian Steele, MGL

Reflection Question:
Where do I need to have Jesus say the words “be opened” in my life? What areas of my life do I need to open before the Lord?

Lord, open my heart to Your love. Let me hear Your voice that brings freedom and peace. Amen.

St. Amand, Bishop, pray for us.

16 February
Monday

a vaN, PlEaSE!

“Why do the people of this day ask for a miracle? No, I tell you! No such proof will be given to these people!” – Mark 8:12

Our car was a two-door vintage rust, so when a department store offered a Nissan Urvan as raffle prize for its Christmas shoppers, I was glad I earned raffle tickets after I bought some gifts for my friends. I went near the Nissan Urvan and claimed it, saying aloud, “Lord, thank You very much for giving me this Nissan Urvan!”
Then, I waited for the miracle to happen. After the holidays, Francis, our quality control manager, said that he received a van as Christmas gift from his son who works in the Middle East. I asked him, “What’s the brand of the van?”
“Oh, it’s a Nissan Urvan,” he said. And I was like, “Oh no, God made a mistake. That Nissan Urvan is mine. I asked for it!”
I was just kidding, of course. And I pray Jesus does not groan over my joke as He groans in today’s Gospel, when the Pharisees demanded for a miracle. For even as I have yet to receive my van as of this writing, I really don’t need proof that God exists and that He loves me and provides for my needs. Cynthia Santiago

REFLECTION:
Miracles happen every day. Count yours.

Lord, grant me the grace to see and marvel at the many miracles You allow to happen in my life.

1st READING

Fratricide is an absolutely awful reality. The author of Genesis wastes no time in telling us how far sin will pervert the goodness of humanity. Why? Perhaps the author of this section of Genesis lived at a time when the horrific nature of sin was very obvious in the society in which he lived? I do not know, but I do know that there are just as awful examples of sin in today’s world, and thus, we need to pray for the grace of God to help us witness to the power of God to overcome sin.

Genesis 4:1-15. 25
1 The man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and bore Cain, saying, “I have produced a man with the help of the LORD.” 2 Next she bore his brother Abel. Abel became a keeper of flocks, and Cain a tiller of the soil. 3 In the course of time Cain brought an offering to the LORD from the fruit of the soil, 4 while Abel, for his part, brought one of the best firstlings of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not. Cain greatly resented this and was crestfallen. 6 So the LORD said to Cain: “Why are you so resentful and crestfallen? 7 If you do well, you can hold up your head; but if not, sin is a demon lurking at the door: his urge is toward you, yet you can be his master.” 8 Cain said to his brother Abel, “Let us go out in the field.” When they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him. 9 Then the LORD asked Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?” He answered, “I do not know. Am I my brother’s keeper?” 10 The LORD then said: “What have you done! Listen: your brother’s blood cries out to me from the soil! 11 Therefore you shall be banned from the soil that opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand. 12 If you till the soil, it shall no longer give you its produce. You shall become a restless wanderer on the earth.” 13 Cain said to the LORD: “My punishment is too great to bear. 14 Since you have now banished me from the soil, and I must avoid your presence and become a restless wanderer on the earth, anyone may kill me at sight.” 15 “Not so!” the LORD said to him. “If anyone kills Cain, Cain shall be avenged sevenfold.” So the LORD put a mark on Cain, lest anyone should kill him at sight. 25 Adam again had relations with his wife, and she gave birth to a son whom she called Seth. “God has granted me more offspring in place of Abel,” she said, “because Cain slew him.”

P S A L M

Psalm 50:1 and 8. 16bc-17. 20-21
R: Offer to God a sacrifice of praise.
1 God the LORD has spoken and summoned the earth, from the rising of the sun to its setting. 8 “Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you, for your burnt offerings are before me always.” (R) 16 “Why do you recite my statutes, and profess my covenant with your mouth, 17 though you hate discipline and cast my words behind you? (R) 20 “You sit speaking against your brother; against your mother’s son you spread rumors. 21 When you do these things, shall I be deaf to it? Or do you think that I am like yourself? I will correct you by drawing them up before your eyes.” (R)

G O S P E L

Ultimately, holiness and following Jesus as His disciple will depend upon our commitment to doing the little things well. It is all very well to be involved or even desire to be involved in great ministries and events that evangelize thousands, but even these are dependent upon doing the simple and little things faithfully. I once spoke to a nun who had a huge healing ministry and she told me that she never goes to a place unless they will set aside three hours every day for her personal prayer. She certainly knew what the most important aspect of her ministry was. I pray we will all be like her!

Mark 8:11-13
11 The Pharisees came forward and began to argue with him, seeking from him a sign from heaven to test him. 12 He sighed from the depth of his spirit and said, “Why does this generation seek a sign? Amen, I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation.” 13 Then he left them, got into the boat again, and went off to the other shore.

my reflections
think:Holiness and following Jesus as His disciple will depend upon our commitment to doing the little things well.

giVe uS a Sign

Throughout the Bible, we read about people asking Jesus for a sign. The Pharisees request a sign from Jesus to give them proof that they should believe Him as the Messiah. They could not accept the miracles; they wanted more compelling proof to believe in His divine authority. However, Jesus refuses to give in to their demands because He knows the motive is disbelief and failure to recognize Him. In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus answers their request by reminding them of Jonah. Just as Jonah was inside the whale’s stomach for three days and nights, so too would Jesus die and be buried, but on the third day rise again.
There are people who seek signs for confirmation. I, for one, am reluctant to do so. I do not want to put the Lord to the test. Either I believe or not. I need no other sign than that of Jesus crucified and risen from the dead. That is enough sign to believe that the Lord will act. However, I know many who request for signs and they receive it. I commend them for their faith.
In human life, signs and symbols are important. They direct us towards God and help strengthen our faith. The sacraments are signs given to us of God moving among us, feeding, nourishing, healing, forgiving, uniting and serving us. But people can get fixated on signs, just as the Pharisees were.
I do not disagree with asking for signs but I have seen many who get fixated on signs and stop there. Signs, rather, should lead us to God. Genuine signs will awaken our belief in God who is with us. Among Charismatic groups, this is common. A people of faith seeking the Lord for healing and mercy are given miraculous signs. God in His goodness and mercy has given us signs and wonders in the Eucharist. The Virgin Mother at Fatima pointed to the sun as a sign of God’s presence. The sun danced and changed color. Communism was broken in Russia. People have suffered the stigmata.
Sign and wonders abound. Fr. Brian Steele, MGL

Reflection Question:
What are the signs of God’s presence in Your life?

Lord, I believe in Your presence in my life. The greatest sign of Your presence You give me is Your body and blood in the Eucharist. Amen.

St. Gilbert, Religious, pray for us.

17 February
Tuesday

BROWNIES, aNyONE?

“Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and the yeast of Herod” – Mark 8:15

A father was hard put to explain to his young children why they couldn’t see the latest movie. The film had all their favorite actors. It was rated PG-13 because there was a suggestion of sex but they didn’t really show it. The language was pretty good, except for a scene where they used the Lord’s name in vain. People died when a building got blown up but it added action and was done in good taste.
After dinner, the father asked his kids if they wanted to eat some brownies. He explained that he used the family’s special recipe but added something new.
When asked what the special ingredient was, he replied, “Dog poop!” He stated it was only a little bit, and all the other ingredients were top quality. “You’ll hardly notice it at all,” he assured them.
Nevertheless not a single child touched the brownie.
The father explained that the movie they wanted to see was just like the brownies. Satan tries to enter our minds by deceiving us into believing that a little bit of evil won’t matter. But that small thing can turn what’s good into something unacceptable. And that’s a big difference.Cecil Lim

REFLECTION:
Are you using good judgment when you compromise or are you running away from the hard truth?

Lord, guide me as I seek Your truth at all times.

1st READING

Evil has increased to the point that God is forced to act in a rather drastic way. He chooses Noah and his family as the only righteous people left on the face of the earth and saves them from the flood He sends to the earth. This term, ‘righteousness’ is one that will constantly appear at important moments in the Scriptures. Its biblical sense is a reference to the ‘right-acting deeds’ of a person. So, when we speak of God’s righteousness, we are not so much speaking of a disposition of God, but what He actually does in order to bring about a situation of justice.

Genesis 6:5-8; 7: 1-5. 10
5 When the LORD saw how great was man’s wickedness on earth, and how no desire that his heart conceived was ever anything but evil, 6 he regretted that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was grieved. 7 So the LORD said: “I will wipe out from the earth the men whom I have created, and not only the men, but also the beasts and the creeping things and the birds of the air, for I am sorry that I made them.” 8 But Noah found favor with the LORD. 7: 1 Then the LORD said to Noah: “Go into the ark, you and all your household, for you alone in this age have I found to be truly just. 2 Of every clean animal, take with you seven pairs, a male and its mate; and of the unclean animals, one pair, a male and its mate; 3 likewise, of every clean bird of the air, seven pairs, a male and a female, and of all the unclean birds, one pair, a male and a female. Thus you will keep their issue alive over all the earth. 4 Seven days from now I will bring rain down on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and so I will wipe out from the surface of the earth every moving creature that I have made.” 5 Noah did just as the LORD had commanded him. 10 As soon as the seven days were over, the waters of the flood came upon the earth.

P S A L M

Psalm 29:1a and 2. 3ac-4. 3b and 9c-10
R: The Lord will bless his people with peace.
1 Give to the LORD, you sons of God, give to the LORD glory and praise. 2 Give to the LORD the glory due his name; adore the LORD in holy attire. (R) 3 The voice of the LORD is over the vast waters. 4 The voice of the LORD is mighty; the voice of the LORD is majestic. (R) The God of glory thunders, 9 and in his temple all say, “Glory!” 10 The LORD is enthroned above the flood; the LORD is enthroned as king forever. (R)

G O S P E L

Leaven is something that is essential in baking a loaf of bread. You cannot see it, but you will certainly know if it is not there as the bread will be inedible — having the consistency of a rock! There are many sorts of leavens that are in the world, some of them good and others bad. We need to choose carefully what we allow to influence us, and if we are parents, what we allow to influence the lives of our children.

Mark 8:14-21
14 The disciples had forgotten to bring bread, and they had only one loaf with them in the boat. 15 He enjoined them, “Watch out, guard against the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod.” 16 They concluded among themselves that it was because they had no bread. 17 When he became aware of this he said to them, “Why do you
conclude that it is because you have no bread? Do you not yet understand or comprehend? Are your hearts hardened? 18 Do you have eyes and not see, ears and not hear? And do you not remember, 19 when I broke the five
loaves for the five thousand, how many wicker baskets full of fragments you picked up?” They answered him, “Twelve.” 20 “When I broke the seven loaves for the four thousand, how many full baskets of fragments did you pick up?” They answered him, “Seven.” 21 He said to them, “Do you still not understand?”

my reflections
think: We need to choose carefully what we allow to influence us and if we are parents, what we allow to influence our children.

do you underSTand?

The Gospel of Mark seems to place the disciples in a constant state of disbelief and misunderstanding. They just don’t seem to get what Jesus is all about. In the Gospel today, we catch a glimpse of the stupidity of the disciples. Mark gives us the opening clue — they forgot to bring bread. So when Jesus tells them to be aware of the yeast of the Pharisees, they were wondering about the amount of bread they brought with them.
Yeast was a common metaphor for evil and corruption. A little yeast was mixed in with a batch of flour and water to assist the dough. A little corruption on the part of the Pharisees could see the rising of anger and dissension among the people of the nation to see Jesus put to death.
Be aware of the yeast of the Pharisees — the teaching and false interpretation they give to sway others from the truth. If our faith is not strong, we will also be swayed by every kind of strange doctrine. We must seek to learn and understand our faith. At times we are called to give an answer for our belief as Catholics. Many are confused and do not understand and will look to us for counsel and advice.
People will have opinions and interpretations of one kind or another. We should allow our conscience to be formed through the resources available to us — the Bible, teachings of the Church, the Catechism and traditions of the Church. Our lives must be formed in truth and not corrupted by the yeast of false interpretation and misleading doctrine. Fr. Brian Steele, MGL

Reflection Question:
What are the areas of my Catholic faith that I do not understand? What can I do to understand my faith better?

Lord, give me grace of wisdom and understanding as I put my trust in You. Amen.

St. Alex Falconieri and cofounders, pray for us.

February
Saturday

aSTHMa

“Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do.” – Luke 5:31

I have asthma. Years back, it was difficult to admit it because it went against my macho image. So I spent all my energies at hiding my sickness. I worked out ‘til I looked like a pit bull and spouted macho stuff. My enemies didn’t know that to destroy me, all they had to do was to steal my asthma inhaler.
When I was still courting my wife, Joie, I hid my asthma from her parents. I performed the age-old tradition called paninilbihan — doing chores, fetching water and carrying loads — until the unexpected happened. I had an asthma attack and I didn’t have my maintenance medicine. My mother-in-law brought me to the hospital and my father-inlaw went all the way to the city just to buy medicine. It was so embarrassing!
Many people are like me. They spend all their energies hiding their “sickness” — the more fatal one called sin. So let’s confess our sins and avail of the healing powers of the Divine Physician. Only those who are repentant can receive grace and mercy.
Friend, you are not your sickness, or your temptation or your sin. You are a child of God, worthy of love and a second chance. Obet Cabrillas

REFLECTION:
When you lie, you have to cover it up with 15 more lies. Kids know it best: Liars go to hell. Confess.

My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a contrite heart You will not despise. (Psalm 51:17)

1st READING

I believe that God has a special place in His heart for the little ones of the world. In my experience, it is the people the world forgets and rejects that God will give the greater attention to as regards the gift of faith. I fear there will be many who, upon dying, will be faced with the very rude shock that they are a lot farther from God than they might have thought they were. Let us not be numbered among these people.

Isaiah 58:9b-14
9 Thus says the Lord: If you remove from your midst oppression, false accusation and malicious speech; 10 if you bestow your bread on the hungry and satisfy the afflicted; then light shall rise for you in the darkness, and the gloom shall become for you like midday; 11 then the LORD will guide you always and give you plenty even on the parched land. He will renew your strength, and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring whose water never fails. 12 The ancient ruins shall be rebuilt for your sake, and the foundations from ages past you shall raise up; “Repairer of the breach,” they shall call you, “Restorer of ruined homesteads.” 13 If you hold back your foot on the sabbath from following your own pursuits on my holy day; if you call the sabbath a delight, and the LORD’s holy day honorable; if you honor it by not following your ways, seeking your own interests, or speaking with malice — 14 Then you shall delight in the LORD, and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth; I will nourish you with the heritage of Jacob, your father, for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

P S A L M

Psalm 86:1-2. 3-4. 5-6
R: Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth.
1 Incline your ear, O LORD; answer me, for I am afflicted and poor. 2 Keep my life, for I am devoted to you; save your servant who trusts in you. You are my God. (R) 3 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for to you I call all the day. 4 Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. (R) 5 For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in kindness to all who call upon you. 6 Hearken, O LORD, to my prayer and attend to the sound of my pleading. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus invites a tax collector to become one of His disciples. This would have come as a great shock to everyone, including the tax collector, as they were considered to be almost less than human due to their compromised way of life and allegiances. If a tax collector can become a disciple of Jesus, then anyone can! This is the power of the mercy and love of God at work. We can be sure that with God all things are possible if it is His will.

Luke 5:27-32
27 Jesus saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at the customs post. He said to him, “Follow me.” 28 And leaving everything behind, he got up and followed him. 29 Then Levi gave a great banquet for him in his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were at table with them. 30 The Pharisees and their scribes complained to his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” 31 Jesus said to them in reply, “Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do. 32 I have not come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners.”

my reflections
think: It is the people the world forgets and rejects that God will give the greater attention to as regards the gift of faith.

The whole point of this Lenten season is to grow in holiness of life by way of conversion. Conversion is a turning around in the opposite direction, a 180-degree turn. It involves commitment, discipline and trust. For us, conversion began at Baptism, though most of us were unaware of it. The second point of conversion is reconciliation in areas where we have misused the gift given us at Baptism. We turn to the Lord in the Sacrament of Reconciliation and are reunited again to God in mercy and love. Throughout our life, there are many moments of conversion. Conversion is a process that will end when we are dead and buried.
Jesus calls people to conversion. Throughout His life, He calls men and women to abandon their ways of sin and to follow Him. Levi is no exception. Levi, turned Matthew (gift of God), is called by Jesus to follow Him. Luke tells us in a beautiful way that “leaving everything behind, he got up and followed Him.” Now, that is conversion. Levi left everything. His booth, his money, his old way of life, everything. And to prove this, he invited a large crowd of people to celebrate with him his conversion.
There is a beautiful image of St. Matthew in a parish I once visited in Australia. It depicted Matthew with a Bible on one hand and a money purse beneath his feet. It shows the powerful image of Matthew trampling his “old” life and looking forward to his new life as a preacher of the Good News. It is cast in magnificent bronze and tells a story.
We, too, must leave everything and follow Jesus. This will be hard; it has its challenges. It is hard to separate from what you have allowed yourself to be attached to. For Matthew, he was attached to his wealth, corruption, and cheating. We, too, can fail to detach from those attitudes of heart and mind. But the reward is great; conversion involves commitment, discipline and trust. It won’t be easy but we have one who walks alongside us offering empowerment, strength and assistance. Fr. Brian Steele, MGL

Reflection Question:
What areas of my life need to be converted to the Lord?

Lord, I pray for the gift of conversion in my life. Change my life that I might love You, serve You and follow You all the days of my life. Amen.

St. Hilary of Ephesus, Pope,pray for us.

today??

to give the enough importance in every priority and to have a strong hold on principles and beliefs...:pray:

March
Monday

HEavENly THOUGHTS

“Lo, I am about to create new heavens and a new earth; The things of the past shall not be remembered or come to mind. Instead, there shall always be rejoicing and happiness…” – Isaiah 65:17-18

As a child, I wondered what heaven was like. Honestly, it scared me and sometimes gave me sleepless nights. The thought of one whole day that lasted for eternity was just too overwhelming for my puny young mind.
Then one day, a few months ago, I woke up with the realization that heaven would not be any different from what I see around me now. You may not agree with my perception but it was this realization that gave me peace and took away my anxieties about death.
I believe that I will still have my family in heaven. I will be able to enjoy my two sons who passed away before they reached their first birthday. I believe that we will still go out to eat in restaurants that serve fantastic meals minus the fat and cholesterol. I believe that I will still be cooking and baking and feeding my family. And here’s the best part — I get to eat it all without any thought of calories!
I believe that we will continue to live the way we do now in the new earth that God will create but without sickness, crime, envy, greed, corruption and hatred. No laws to follow except one — the law of love. Now, that’s heaven!Ronna Ledesma

REFLECTION:
Why wait for the future when you can start loving now?

Lord, may Your love always flow through me that I may bring a little piece of heaven to the people around me.

1st READING

The last fifteen or so chapters of Isaiah seem to reflect a very positive vision for the People of Israel. They are written after the exile and some of the Jews are returning to rebuild a new and better Jerusalem. As we reflect on such texts I think it is important to know this context but also to allow our imagination some freedom so as to look forward to the best Jerusalem, the city of eternal life where we talk in terms of eternity, not just one hundred years!

Isaiah 65:17-21
17 Thus says the Lord: Lo, I am about to create new heavens and a new earth; the things of the past shall not be remembered or come to mind. 18 Instead, there shall always be rejoicing and happiness in what I create; for I create Jerusalem to be a joy and its people to be a delight; 19 I will rejoice in Jerusalem and exult in my people. No longer shall the sound of weeping be heard there, or the sound of crying; 20 no longer shall there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not round out his full lifetime; he dies a mere youth who reaches but a hundred years, and he who fails of a hundred shall be thought accursed. 21 They shall live in the houses they build, and eat the fruit of the vineyards they plant.

P S A L M

Psalm 30:2 and 4. 5-6. 11-12a and 13b
R: I will praise you, Lord, for you have rescued me.
1 [2] I will extol you, O LORD, for you drew me clear and did not let my enemies rejoice over me. 3 [4] O LORD, you brought me up from the nether world; you preserved me from among those going down into the pit. (R) 4 [5] Sing praise to the LORD, you his faithful ones, and give thanks to his holy name. 5 [6] For his anger lasts but a moment; a lifetime, his good will. At nightfall, weeping enters in, but with the dawn, rejoicing. (R) 10 [11] “Hear, O LORD, and have pity on me; O LORD, be my helper.” 11 [12] You changed my mourning into dancing; 12 [13] O LORD, my God, forever will I give you thanks. (R)

G O S P E L

John is very selective in the number of miracles of Jesus recorded in his Gospel. They are all there for a reason. One of the reasons for today’s Gospel, in my opinion, is its example of trust and faith in the life of the court official. He does not need Jesus to be present to his ill son, just that He say the words of healing. Too often we look for signs rather than place our trust in God’s Word.

John 4:43-54
43 At that time Jesus left [Samaria] for Galilee. 44 For Jesus himself testified that a prophet has no honor in his native place. 45 When he came into Galilee, the Galileans welcomed him, since they had seen all he had done in Jerusalem at the feast; for they themselves had gone to the feast. 46 Then he returned to Cana in Galilee, where he had made the water wine. Now there was a royal official whose son was ill in Capernaum. 47 When he heard that Jesus had arrived in Galilee from Judea, he went to him and asked him to come down and heal his son, who was near death. 48 Jesus said to him, “Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will not believe.” 49 The royal official said to him, “Sir, come down before my child dies.” 50 Jesus said to him, “You may go; your son will live.” The man believed what Jesus said to him and left. 51 While he was on his way back, his slaves met him and told him that his boy would live. 52 He asked them when he began to recover. They told him, “The fever left him yesterday, about one in the afternoon.” 53 The father realized that just at that time Jesus had said to him, “Your son will live,” and he and his whole household came to believe. 54 Now this was the second sign Jesus did when he came to Galilee from Judea.

my reflections
think: Too often we look for signs rather than place our trust in God’s Word.

cerTainTy in JeSuS

The highlight of today’s Gospel is the interaction and conversation between Jesus and the royal official. The royal official who heard that Jesus had arrived in Galilee from Judea went to see Him and ask Him to come down and heal His dying son. In that interaction of Jesus and the official, we notice that the royal official’s faith was not perfect. Why? Because as stated in the Gospel reading, he begged the good Lord to come down, not thinking that Jesus could work or perform a miracle even from a distance. Our Lord Jesus also noticed the imperfect faith of the official that’s why he immediately retorted to the man by saying “unless you people see signs and wonders, you will not believe.” After hearing the words of Jesus, the official once again begged the Lord to come down before his child dies. But instead of coming down, our Lord gave direction to the royal official to go on his way because his son will live.
With this instruction from Jesus, the royal official’s faith was put to the test. Would he accept Jesus’ word without proof? The hope expressed in Jesus’ words is the desire of all who are coming from sin to forgiveness, from death to new life in the sacraments of Baptism and Reconciliation. Trusting the words of Jesus seems so natural in this story. We rarely find it so clear and simple. Usually, we are either unsure about what to do or we discount what might happen. We always want certainty. Yet the direction for our lives is usually not that precise or apparent. We need to trust that God is with us. We are often not sure of what we “hear” initially, so we need to ponder it a while. We also have to trust our prayer, our intuition and the promises in the Scripture which assure us of God’s guidance. Fr. Joel O. Jason

Reflection Question:
Do I really trust the words of God? Or do I only come to Him and trust Him when I am facing problems and difficulties in life?

Lord, help me to always trust and believe in Your words.

St. Turubius De Mongrovejo, Bishop, pray for us.

March
Friday

WHEREvER THE WINd BlOWS

“… yet I did not come on my own...” – John 7:28

Friends tell me, “You’re so fickle-minded! You do a lot of things! You enroll in something, only to shift careers later.” Another friend adds, “You lose a lot of money in the process!”
Yes, if I were to use the world’s standards, I would also call myself aimless, restless, always searching for something more or something else that would give meaning to my life.
But God has a way of catching up with me. When I surrendered to Him the wheel of my life, He led me to some undiscovered avenues. He brought me profound happiness.
Now, I am not just what I have studied to become — an engineer — but I have become more in God’s hands. I am His pen. I am His voice to people who need to hear His comforting words. I am His arms to hug some of His special children. Pretty soon, I feel He’s going to use me to comfort and support cancer survivors in our community.
Oh, well, I follow wherever the wind blows, for there the Spirit of the Lord calls me. Life is more exciting that way! Tess Atienza

REFLECTION:
Do I allow the Lord to lead me?

Lord, lead me to the fulfillment of Your plans for my life.

1st READING

Unfortunately we live in a world that seems to be growing in its godlessness rather than the opposite. I wonder what we are doing with our own lives? How faithful are we to following the truth of the Gospel? How firmly do we resist the temptations of our materialistic and individualistic society? The world needs men and women more than ever who will live the Gospel and proclaim it without compromise. I hope we are up to the task!

Wisdom 2:1a. 12-22
1 The wicked said among themselves, thinking not aright: 12 “Let us beset the just one, because he is obnoxious to us; he sets himself against our doings, reproaches us for transgressions of the law and charges us with violations of our training. 13 He professes to have knowledge of God and styles himself a child of the LORD. 14 To us he is the censure of our thoughts; merely to see him is a hardship for us, 15 because his life is not like other men’s, and different are his ways. 16 He judges us debased; he holds aloof from our paths as from things impure. He calls blest the destiny of the just and boasts that God is his Father. 17 Let us see whether his words be true; let us find out what will happen to him. 18 For if the just one be the son of God, he will defend him and deliver him from the hand of his foes. 19 With revilement and torture let us put him to the test that we may have proof of his gentleness and try his patience. 20 Let us condemn him to a shameful death; for according to his own words, God will take care of him.” 21 These were their thoughts, but they erred; for their wickedness blinded them, 22 and they knew not the hidden counsels of God; neither did they count on a recompense of holiness nor discern the innocent souls’ reward.

P S A L M

Psalm 34:17-18. 19-20. 21 and 23
R: The Lord is close to the brokerhearted.
16 [17] The LORD confronts the evildoers, to destroy remembrance of them from the earth. 17 [18] When the just cry out, the LORD hears them, and from all their distress he rescues them. (R) 18 [19] The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; and those who are crushed in spirit he saves. 19 [20] Many are the troubles of the just man, but out of them all the LORD delivers him. (R) 20 [21] He watches over all his bones; not one of them shall be broken. 22 [23] The LORD redeems the lives of his servants; no one incurs guilt who takes refuge in him.

G O S P E L

Jesus would not keep silent even though He knew His life was at stake as He kept preaching the Gospel. Truth cannot keep silent — look at the way the opponents of abortion maintain their vigil against the powers of death. No amount of legal maneuvering will ever make abortion right! Truth, particularly moral truth, is never determined by a vote! Let us never doubt that truth will prevail, no matter how dark the times may seem.

John 7:1-2. 10. 25-30
1 Jesus moved about within Galilee; but he did not wish to travel in Judea, because the Jews were trying to kill him. 2 But the Jewish feast of Tabernacles was near. 10 But when his brothers had gone up to the feast, he himself also went up, not openly but as it were in secret. 25 Some of the inhabitants of Jerusalem said, “Is he not the one they are trying to kill? 26 And look, he is speaking openly and they say nothing to him. Could the authorities have realized that he is the Messiah? 27 But we know where he is from. When the Messiah comes, no one will know where he is from.” 28 So Jesus cried out in the temple area as he was teaching and said, “You know me and also know where I am from. Yet I did not come on my own, but the one who sent me, whom you do not know, is true. 29 I know him, because I am from him, and he sent me.” 30 So they tried to arrest him, but no one laid a hand upon him, because his hour had not yet come.

my reflections
think:Truth, particularly moral truth, is never determined by a vote.

PuTTing god in a Box

You wake up everyday, perform your morning rituals, work with the same bunch of people, do things at their appointed time in the same manner. This is what you go through every single day. Everything seems so easy to do, so convenient, so comfortable. You develop your comfort zones — in your work, in the people you relate with and sometimes even in what you believe. You have put yourself in a box and when that happens, you tend to put others in a box, too. In today’s Gospel, the inhabitants of Jerusalem were confused about the identity of Jesus. They were confused because they had a predeterminednotion of who the Messiah would be: a political liberator, a strong one who would deliver them from being subject to the Roman empire. They knew where Jesus came from, so how could He be the Messiah? How could this itinerant preacher be the liberator they have long been waiting for? Apparently, with their idea of the Messiah, they have put God in a box. Often, we fall into the same mistake. For most of us, God should be this and that; he must not be otherwise. Even God has become part of our comfort zones. Our relationship with Him has become one of convenience so much so that when He disturbs our “smoothsailing” journey in life, our faith is easily shattered.
Yes, it is important to know God. It is important that as Catholics, we learn what the Church teaches about our faith. But God leaves a mystery to Himself. We can never contain all there is to God. Let us not allow our knowledge of Him to lead us to predetermined notions that reduce Him to a mere function in our life.
Instead, our knowledge of God must lead us to discover how greatly He encompasses us. There are not enough words to describe the immense love He has for us. In the end, when human reasoning falls short, we realize that we can never put God in a box. Fr. Joel O. Jason

Reflection Question:
Has my prayer life become routinary that I take my relationship with the Lord for granted? Have I become so comfortable with my beliefs that I no longer cherish the mystery that is in God?

Lord, I want to take You out of the box of my preconceived notions about You. This Lent, help me to renew my relationship with You that I may give You my genuine love — outside my biases, without my masks, outside my comfort zones.

St. John of Egypt, Hermit, pray for us.

101071_th.gif
kerstinne25...

:happy::nice::happy:
continue being a blessing to others...this song is for you
There is a God 33 miles
http://www.mediafire.com/?mzzyyj0xmzn

:yipee::yipee::yipee:

Back
Top Bottom