Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

May
Monday

PROVEN WRONG

“I do believe, help my unbelief!” – Mark 9:24

He didn’t think it was possible. He had lived a life of sinful, reckless abandon. He had been lured by women and casual sex, money and a convenient life. He didn’t think it was possible he could come back to the Lord. So for many years, he chose to stay abroad, alienating himself from both country and faith.
Then five years ago, it happened. God’s call was just too powerful. After nearly 10 years abroad, my friend finally decided to come home. To this day, he still doesn’t know how and why he did it. He was making an excellent living abroad — but he came home anyway. He realized it wasn’t worth his soul.
When my friend came home, one of the first things he did was go to confession. After nearly a decade of not going near anywhere or anyone remotely related to God, my friend entered a church. Petrified and in between cold beads of sweat, he poured his sins and his heart out to a Jesuit priest. And then the priest said the words that released him, “God forgives you. God loves you. He always has, and He always will.”
My friend could hardly believe that God would forgive him and still love him. He says it is sweet, blessed relief to know he was wrong. Cess Cosico

REFLECTION:
“There is no pit too deep that God’s love is not deeper still.” (Corrie ten Boom)

Lord, nothing is impossible with You. Your love conquers all.

-----------------

1st READING

A truly righteous life is a life lived in peace. Immediately there comes to mind the names of people such as Mahatma Ghandi, Nelson Mandela and Mother Teresa. Here are people of extraordinary righteousness who are also great advocates of peace and love. Yet, none of their witnessing could be considered soppy, weak or sentimental. They were incredibly strong people who could withstand great suffering and persecution.

James 3:13-18
13 Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show his works by a good life in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. 15 Wisdom of this kind does not come down from above but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every foul practice. 17 But the wisdom from above is first of all pure, then peaceable, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, without inconstancy or insincerity. 18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for those who cultivate peace.

P S A L M

Psalm 19:8, 9, 10, 15
R: The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart.
7 [8] The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul; the decree of the LORD is trustworthy, giving wisdom to the simple. (R) 8 [9] The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the command of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eye. (R) 9 [10] The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the LORD are true, all of them just. (R) 14 [15] Let the words of my mouth and the thought of my heart find favor before you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. (R)

G O S P E L

Prayer is not an optional extra to our lives. It is as essential to the Christian life as breathing is to the mortal life. No one has a valid excuse not to pray — even if it may be difficult or we feel we don’t have enough time. It does not matter how busy we become. There is always the opportunity to catch a few moments of prayer here and there. We can make up for one day’s lack with extra fervor the next day.

Mark 9:14-29
14 When they came to the disciples, they saw a large crowd around them and scribes arguing with them. 15 Immediately on seeing him, the whole crowd was utterly amazed. They ran up to him and greeted him. 16 He asked them, “What are you arguing about with them?” 17 Someone from the crowd answered him, “Teacher, I have brought to you my son possessed by a mute spirit. 18 Wherever it seizes him, it throws him down; he foams at the mouth, grinds his teeth, and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive it out, but they were unable to do so.” 19 He said to them in reply, “O faithless generation, how long will I be with you? How long will I endure you? Bring him to me.” 20 They brought the boy to him. And when he saw him, the spirit immediately threw the boy into convulsions. As he fell to the ground, he began to roll around and foam at the mouth. 21 Then he questioned his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” He replied, “Since childhood. 22 It has often thrown him into fire and into water to kill him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” 23 Jesus said to him, “ ‘If you can!’ Everything is possible to one who has faith.” 24 Then the boy’s father cried out, “I do believe, help my unbelief!” 25 Jesus, on seeing a crowd rapidly gathering, rebuked the unclean spirit and said to it, “Mute and deaf spirit, I command you: come out of him and never enter him again!” 26 Shouting and throwing the boy into convulsions, it came out. He became like a corpse, which caused many to say, “He is dead!” 27 But Jesus took him by the hand, raised him, and he stood up. 28 When he entered the house, his disciples asked him in private, “Why could we not drive it out?” 29 He said to them, “This kind can only come out through prayer.”

my reflections
think:Do I persevere enough in prayer?

God’s special verse/thought for me today________________

T O D A Y ’ S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: ____________________________________

-------------

THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD!

Usurpation is defined as the malpractice of supplanting or seizing a position or power that is not one’s own. This may seem a remote possibility for persons of faith to resort to but many have done it probably in an unknowing fashion. Not on a few occasions have I heard people who are active in healing ministries claim that “they have healed” this and that person. It is so easy for us to forget that we are simply servants – even more appropriately, simple instruments and channels – of the great “opus” of God. The old Filipino folks had much wisdom when they would say: a heron who perched on the carabao’s back thinks it is taller than the carabao!
The Gospel passage about the “power failure” of the first disciples of Jesus to heal a boy afflicted with grave epilepsy is a loud reminder to all of us that there is only one Savior: Jesus. There is only one healer: Jesus. There is only one truly powerful: Jesus. We can be ambassadors, disciples, apostles, friends, and servants of Jesus. However, we should never pretend to substitute for Him. He is God, and we are not. He is eternal, while we are mortals.
Our g r e a t p owe r a n d effectiveness in ministry and in the apostolate happens in prayer — when we humble ourselves, and we bow ourselves to Jesus, and we recognize He alone is worth the worship. Fr. Domie Guzman

Reflection Question:
What unique and God-given talents and abilities do you have? In the exercise and enjoyment of these, how do you express your humility before God? What is your own personal way of acknowledging God as the source of all that you have?

Jesus, our Divine Healer, humble me and use me as Your instrument of peace and love.

St. Celestine, pray for us.

May
Thursday

BELIEVE

… Jesus said, “What do you want me to do for you?” And the blind man said to Him, “Rabboni, I want to regain my sight!” – Mark 10:51

A regular job for my husband. Efficiency in my new job. A united family. These were some of the petitions that I’d been fervently asking for many months. Frankly, I had almost given up hope. Was God even listening?
Then I read a book entitled, When God Doesn’t Make Sense. There, the author shared how trees grow. The roots of trees planted in arid land tend to deeply stretch out to seek water for nourishment. And because of this, flood waters can’t easily uproot it, unlike a tree planted in rich soil.
I knew then that God had been training me to be more deeply rooted in my faith so that inconvenience, suffering, sacrifice or unanswered prayers won’t make my trust in the Lord waver.
But I got more than that! He blessed my husband with a job in a reputable company. I was regularized and was made a supervisor within five months and my family patched up a misunderstanding! Annette Flores

REFLECTION:
Have you doubted the Lord’s ways lately? Meditate on what lesson God wants you to learn. Let go and let God.

-------

May
Friday

WHEN PEOPLE LEAVE

…everyone who loves is begotten of God and has knowledge of God. – 1 John 4:7

It’s so sad to see what happens when people leave their church, community or group. The love that they once shared with the people they used to pray and worship with week after week suddenly turns into criticism and backbiting.
The same is true for those who were left behind. Overnight, their love also turns into abhorrence for that person whom they used to fondly call brother or sister. Now, the mere mention of his or her name sounds like a bad word for them. What’s more sad is when both sides wait to see something bad befall the other. And when that happens, the other feels vindicated for what he’s feeling.
Often times, we revere our norms and our man-made rules more than God’s will. If people violate our rules or our way of doing things, then we judge them to be out of God’s will. But no one has a monopoly on God’s will or His plan for us. His will is for us to love one another regardless of their offense towards us. Only then can we truly call ourselves Christians. Ronna Ledesma

REFLECTION:
Do we resent people who do not live up to our standard of Christianity?

Sacred Heart of Jesus, make my heart like Yours that I may love people unconditionally.

June
Sunday

WHAT IF GOD HAS ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE?

“ I never knew you.” – Matthew 7:23

I have a friend whose father is afflicted with Alzheimer’s disease. This cruel, degenerative disease affects nerve cells of the brain. It causes speech disturbances, lessens mental faculties and other symptoms of senility that may manifest in middle age. Thus a person suffering from Alzheimer’s disease will not remember his past, and worse, will fail to recognize a loved one no matter how close he has been with her.
Friends, here’s my interpretation of today’s Gospel: I don’t believe God will ever forget who we are — no matter how much we fail Him. (I’m a parent, and I will never forget my child, no matter what my child does. But even if parents forget, says the prophet Isaiah, God will never forget you.)
The language the Gospel today uses is dramatic so let us not take it literally. (Other verses, like the one from Isaiah, conflicts with a literal interpretation of this verse.) Instead, this is what I believe: It is we who forget who God is. When we do not do His will, we are inflicted with spiritual Alzheimer’s. We forget God’s love. We reject Him and run away from Him.
Let us pray for healing from this disease of the soul. Bo Sanchez

REFLECTION:
What will God remember about you?

Lord, forgive my transgressions and remember not my iniquities.

--------

1st READING

God presents the people a choice through His servant Moses. What do they really want to do with their lives? Will they choose to serve God through obedience to His commandments or will they go their own way? We face the same choice in our own lives today. The promise of blessing is a strong attraction but we must also be aware that there are responsibilities attached to a life of faith in God.

Deuteronomy 11:18, 26-28, 32
18 Moses told the people, “Take these words of mine into your heart and soul. Bind them at your wrist as a sign, and let them be a pendant on your forehead. 26 “I set before you here, this day, a blessing and a curse — 27 a blessing for obeying the commandments of the LORD, your God, which I enjoin on you today; 28 a curse if you do not obey the commandments of the LORD, your God, but turn aside from the way I ordain for you today, to follow other gods, whom you have not known. 32 Be careful to observe all the statutes and decrees that I set before you today.”

P S A L M

Psalm 31:2-3, 3-4, 17, 25
R: Lord, be my rock of safety.
1 [2] In you, O LORD, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame. In your justice rescue me, 2 [3] incline your ear to me, make haste to deliver me! (R) Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to give me safety. 3 [4] You are my rock and my fortress; for your name’s sake you will lead and guide me. (R) 16 [17] Let your face shine upon your servant; save me in your kindness. 24 [25] Take courage and be stouthearted, all you who hope in the LORD. (R)

2nd READING

This passage could be described as Paul’s manifesto of the Christian life. Here he outlines his understanding of what God has done through Jesus to make it possible for Christians to live the life of redemption. In one sense, our lives here on earth are spent trying to appropriate this gift of salvation. In his remaining letter to the Roman community, Paul will outline for them how he understands faith working itself out unto salvation in their daily lives.

Romans 3:21-25, 28
21 Brothers and sisters, Now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, though testified to by the law and the prophets, 22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction; 23 all have sinned and are deprived of the glory of God. 24 They are justified freely by his grace through the redemption in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as an expiation, through faith, by his blood. 28 For we consider that a person is justified by faith apart from works of the law.

G O S P E L

It is completely up to you how you respond to God’s love for you. It is up to you to choose the foundation upon which you will build your life of faith. This decision has practical implications. We cannot be men and women of faith without others seeing that truth in the way we live our lives. Words are not enough – we have to live our faith in our relationships with others.

Matthew 7:21- 27
21 Jesus said to his disciples: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?’ 23 Then I will declare to them solemnly, ‘I never knew you. Depart from me, you evildoers.’ 24 “Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. 25 The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock. 26 And everyone who listens to these words of mine but does not act on them will be like a fool who built his house on sand. 27 The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. And it collapsed and was completely ruined.”

my reflections
think:On what foundation is my life built?

----------

GOD’S JUDGMENT ON SIN

“All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:20).

This is the conclusion to which Paul has just arrived and now he announces what he knows and has experienced what God’s solution is to this terrible situation. Paul knows from experience that he cannot redeem himself or remove the sin from his life. Hence, the answer to the problem rests solely on God’s hand, and is reliant upon His power alone. It is only by the grace of God that anyone can be saved. This is a free and undeserved gift that God gives to all who are humble enough to accept it.
This can be a fundamental problem for modern-day men and women as we are taught to be self-sufficient, relying upon our own resources for what we want to achieve. Yes, we are sometimes willing to ask for help, but we will always feel that we in some way or another “owe” the person who helped us. This is not the case with God. God gives freely without any strings attached. Of course, there is more to the gift of salvation than just accepting it from God. Salvation is a call to enter into relationship with God in such a way that will eventually consume one’s entire life in a form of discipleship and service that is the entry point to eternal life and human fulfillment.
Paul is equally clear that the “solution” applies to both Jew and Gentile without any real difference of application. It is a truly universal salvation that we are discussing here. The Jews may well have had the Law for the last 2,000 years but the Law is not capable of salvation – the best it can do is demonstrate sinfulness and indicate the difference between right and wrong. The Law does not have the power to save. This is why as disciples of Jesus, we are called to live our lives with the power of the grace of God and not just on the power of our wills. Yes, we must engage our wills in choosing right over wrong but it is only under the power of the grace of God that we will be capable of doing this. Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
What is my understanding of salvation? What does it mean to live my life under the grace of God?

Lord Jesus, help me to surrender my will to Your own so that You will purify it according to Your truth and empower me to choose well in all that I do.

St. Justin, martyr, pray for us.

JUNE 2, 2008
MONDAY

THE GREATEST LOVE OF ALL

“Make every effort to supplement your faith…with love.” – 2 Peter 1:5-7

Nora abandoned her baby right after she gave birth. Jenny joyfully adopted him and named him Max.
As Max grew up, it was Jenny who provided for his needs. She took care of him when he was sick, showered him with affection and taught him everything he needed to know.
Max knew that Nora gave birth to him but who do you think he considers his real mother?
My answer would be Jenny.
The story is fictional but it can easily be true. We become who we are not by the titles we acquire but more so by our actions. As Christians, we should not be satisfied with just learning about Jesus but instead, we should be ready to put our faith into action. Cecil Lim

REFLECTION:
There’s a wealth of difference between knowing you’re a Christian and actually living like one.

Lord, may Your example lead me to show my love for others in concrete actions.

---------------

1st READING

God is not stingy the way He apportions His gifts. We need never doubt that He will give us all that is necessary to accomplish His will. However, scholastic theology tells us that His grace works upon nature. For the grace to bear fruit, we have to provide a fertile environment for it to grow and be nurtured. In other words, when it comes to looking at the various fruits our life bears, we have to do our part in cooperation with God’s grace.

2 Peter 1:2-7
2 May grace and peace be yours in abundance through knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. 3 His divine power has bestowed on us everything that makes for life and devotion, through the knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and power. 4 Through these, he has bestowed on us the precious and very great promises, so that through them you may come to share in the divine nature, after escaping from the corruption that is in the world because of evil desire. 5 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, virtue with knowledge, 6 knowledge with self-control, self-control with endurance, endurance with devotion, 7 devotion with mutual affection, mutual affection with love.

P S A L M

Psalm 91:1-2, 14-15b, 15c-16
R: In you, my God, I place my trust.
1 You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, 2 Say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” (R) 14 Because he clings to me, I will deliver him; I will set him on high because he acknowledges my name. 15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in distress. (R) I will deliver him and glorify him; 16 with length of days I will gratify him and will show him my salvation. (R)

G O S P E L

We cannot avoid our time of judgment. It is not meant to be something that scares us into doing one thing or another, but it is a reminder that the choices we make have consequences for which we are responsible. This should be enough incentive to avoid sin. However, we should never forget that the true motivation for good works is love of God and neighbor.

Mark 12:1-12
1 Jesus began to speak to them in parables. “A man planted a vineyard, put a hedge around it, dug a wine press, and built a tower. Then he leased it to tenant farmers and left on a journey. 2 At the proper time he sent a servant to the tenants to obtain from them some of the produce of the vineyard. 3 But they seized him, beat him, and sent him away empty-handed. 4 Again he sent them another servant. And that one they beat over the head and treated shamefully. 5 He sent yet another whom they killed. So, too, many others; some they beat, others they killed. 6 He had one other to send, a beloved son. He sent him to them last of all, thinking, ‘They will respect my son.’ 7 But those tenants said to one another, ‘This is the heir. Come, let us kill him, and the inheritance will be ours.’ 8 So they seized him and killed him, and threw him out of the vineyard. 9 What [then] will the owner of the vineyard do? He will come, put the tenants to death, and give the vineyard to others. 10 Have you not read this scripture passage: ‘The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; 11 by the Lord has this been done, and it is wonderful in our eyes’?” 12 They were seeking to arrest him, but they feared the crowd, for they realized that he had addressed the parable to them. So they left him and went away.

my reflections
think:Sin should be avoided not just because it has consequences, but out of true love for God and neighbor.

-------------

IN ACCORDANCE WITH GOD’S WILL

I think we have all experienced times when we have spent a lot of energy preparing something for someone else only to find that they chose to do the task another way. It seems they lacked gratitude and have been rude. The situation in the Gospel is a much worse situation than this. Imagine how the owner of the vineyard must have felt when the evil tenants killed his son. The parable is really about the way each of us has neglected to follow the will of God in our lives, and have allowed sin to take over to a large extent. This is not part of God’s plan for us but because of His mercy, He does not condemn us but calls us to repent and refocus our lives on Him.
It is important for us to take the time to reflect upon our lives once in a while, and see whether or not we are being faithful to God’s call. This will give us the chance to repent of our sin if there is any and maybe just simply re-align our life direction if we are not yet in serious sin, but are headed in that direction. As the old saying tells us: An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. So many of our difficulties and trials could be avoided if we spend a little more time honestly reflecting upon the direction of our lives. The challenge we face is one of a disciplinary nature. Can we commit ourselves to something as simple as a daily time of reflection in order to check where we are going?
I am told that if a person can repeat an action for 30 days without missing one day, then he or she is very close to having developed a habit. It sounds easy enough but when you try it, I am sure you will find that it is not that easy. If you miss the 25th day, you start back at one. Let us see if we are able to develop the habit of a daily time of reflection or recollection in order to keep our lives on the path that’s in accordance with God’s will.Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
Do I already have the daily habit of reflecting on my life direction? If not, am I willing to try to develop one? I think the effort is worthwhile.

Holy Spirit, help me with Your grace to be committed to examining my life daily, and give me the strength to do what is necessary to keep my life in accordance with God’s will.

Sts. Marcellinus and Peter, martyrs, pray for us.

JUNE 10, 2008
TUESDAY

THE LIGHTS OF TORONTO

“Your light must shine before people so that they may see the good things you do and praise your Father in heaven.” – Matthew 5:16

First, there was total darkness. Then there was this tiny flickering white light. Suddenly, a spread of hundreds of lights like diamonds glittering on a dark velvet fabric.
This was the spectacle I saw from the window of the airplane as we landed in Toronto. It was my first time there, and as we made our way to the hotel, I was amazed with the array of lights dotting everything in the city — the streets, the stores and every window of every skyscraper in the metropolis.
At the time, we were suffering a series of brownouts back in Manila and thus we had to conserve electric power. So I asked our tour guide, “Haven’t you heard of energy conservation here?”
“Oh, we have lots of energy here,” she said as she rattled on about the Niagara Falls, located at the outskirts of Toronto, which has provided the city limitless hydropower for centuries.
Yes, Toronto is like the place described in today’s Gospel — a city that cannot be hid because it is always lighted. In the same way, our light — powered not only by waterfalls but by our Mighty God — must always shine. Cynthia Santiago

REFLECTION:
Shine!

Lord, may I never be in darkness; let me shine so that everybody will see Your wonderful work for Your people.

1st READING

The widow who feeds Elijah in this story is an example of generosity to others. However, the story also tells us that God cannot be outdone in generosity. The jars of meal and oil will remain miraculously full until the drought breaks and the widow is able to obtain food elsewhere. The lesson here is that if we give all we have in the service of God’s will, we can be sure that God will provide for our needs.

1 Kings 17:7-16
7 After some time, however, the brook ran dry, because no rain had fallen in the land. 8 So the LORD said to Elijah: 9 “Move on to Zarephath of Sidon and stay there. I have designated a widow there to provide for you.” 10 He left and went to Zarephath. As he arrived at the entrance of the city, a widow was gathering sticks there; he called out to her, “Please bring me a small cupful of water to drink.” 11 She left to get it, and he called out after her, “Please bring along a bit of bread.” 12 “As the LORD, your God, lives,” she answered, “I have nothing baked; there is only a handful of flour in my jar and a little oil in my jug. Just now I was collecting a couple of sticks, to go in and prepare something for myself and my son; when we have eaten it, we shall die.” 13 “Do not be afraid,” Elijah said to her. “Go and do as you propose. But first make me a little cake and bring it to me. Then you can prepare something for yourself and your son. 14 For the LORD, the God of Israel, says, ‘The jar of flour shall not go empty, nor the jug of oil run dry, until the day when the LORD sends rain upon the earth.’ ” 15 She left and did as Elijah had said. She was able to eat for a year, and he and her son as well; 16 The jar of flour did not go empty, nor the jug of oil run dry, as the LORD had foretold through Elijah.

P S A L M

Psalm 4:2-3, 4-5, 7b-8
R: Lord, let your face shine on us.
1 [2] When I call, answer me, O my just God, you who relieve me when I am in distress; have pity on me, and hear my prayer! 2 [3] Men of rank, how long will you be dull of heart? Why do you love what is vain and seek after falsehood? (R) 3 [4] Know that the LORD does wonders for his faithful one; the LORD will hear me when I call upon him. 4 [5] Tremble, and sin not; reflect, upon your beds, in silence. (R) 6 [7] O LORD, let the light of your countenance shine upon us! 7 [8] You put gladness into my heart, more than when grain and wine abound. (R)

G O S P E L

Lights are designed to do exactly that – light up the way from one point to another. When we talk about our lives being a light for others we are speaking of being living examples of faith that will help others come to know and experience the love of God. This is the call of all Christians — to be a light to the world and to proclaim His truth to the ends of the earth.

Matthew 5:13-16
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned? It is no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. 14 You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lamp stand, where it gives light to all in the house. 16 Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.”

my reflections
think: Is my life a light to others?

WHAT IS GENEROSITY?

What does it really mean to be generous? Today’s story of the widow at Zarephath invites us to look at the nature of generosity and how perhaps we can apply it to our lives. The prophet Elijah asks the widow for food and receives the reply that the widow has enough food for one last meal with her son. Nevertheless, she chooses to share what she has with Elijah.
I am reminded of the story of the widow’s mite in one of the Gospels where she gives all she has to the collection box in the temple regardless of the fact that she has nothing more to live on. Both the widow of the Gospel and the widow of Zarephath seem to have something more than self-preservation in mind. They seem to know more about their situations than we do. Yet, what more can they know? The only thing they could be relying on is faith. It is highly unlikely in either case that someone is going to come along and feed either of them. Yet, each of the women gives all they have with no assurance for the future.
This is the type of generosity that God expects from His disciples. It is not necessarily a matter of giving all the money we have to the Church, although something similar could be part of our calling. But it is a matter of entrusting our lives into the hands and the will of God. Only through this depth of faith will our lives bear the fullness of the fruits that God desires for us. Such faith is not a prerequisite for salvation but it is necessary if we are going to fully surrender our lives to His purpose.
Jesus’ life is an example of this profound faith and trust in God – the result being that He wins for us God’s forgiveness and the gift of salvation. Let us remain open to the grace of God in such a way that we will be willing to follow Him wherever He leads us. Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
Am I generous person or do I only give from my excess to others? How can I be more generous with the blessings I have received from God?

Holy Spirit, open my heart and mind to the fullness of grace so that I will achieve the potential God has given me and be a channel of God’s grace to others.

St. Bardo, Benedictine archbishop, pray for us

August
Friday

STANDING UP TO THE BULLIES

It is for your sake that I have been insulted. – Psalm 69:7

I was shocked by an article I read in Newsweek’s issue on school bullies. In Japan, seven kids committed suicide during a two-month period all because they were being bullied. The article hit me hard because I was bullied as a kid too.
I was a perfect target for the bullies because I was smaller, thinner, quieter, less athletic and less intelligent than my other classmates. But I had another “weakness” that was easy to pick on: I was a Christian. I carried my Bible wherever I went. So they called me all sorts of religious names. It began with “Fr. Bo.” Then, “Bishop Bo.” Then “Pope Bo.” And finally “Saint Bo.” I remember their favorite sport: They would kick my school bag across the room, spilling all its contents, and say, “You won’t get mad, right Bo? Mabait ka, eh. You’re a Christian.”
But this bullying never crushed my spirit. (OK, it drove me to tears many times. But it never made me give up my faith.)
As a teen, my love for God went through fire — and became stronger.
Has your faith been bullied before?
Rejoice.
God is strengthening your love.Bo Sanchez

REFLECTION:
Have you been criticized for doing good?

Lord, strengthen my resolve to follow You and do good amidst persecution.

------------

1st READING

The Old Testament understanding of God was based very much within a structure of cause and effect. That is, if the people of God acted in certain ways then God’s blessings would be with them; if not, then disaster often followed. The Christian understanding is somewhat different in that we recognize that God chose to save us even though we were in no way deserving of salvation. God’s love and blessings are gratuitously given; it’s up to us to respond to them in gratitude.

Jeremiah 26:1-9
1 In the beginning of the reign of Jehoiakim, son of Josiah, king of Judah, this message came from the LORD. 2 Thus says the LORD: Stand in the court of the house of the LORD and speak to the people of all the cities of Judah who come to worship in the house of the LORD; whatever I command you, tell them, and omit nothing. 3 Perhaps they will listen and turn back, each from his evil way, so that I may repent of the evil I have planned to inflict upon them for their evil deeds. 4 Say to them: Thus says the LORD: If you disobey me, not living according to the law I placed before you 5 and not listening to the words of my servants the prophets, whom I send you constantly though you do not obey them, 6 I will treat this house like Shiloh, and make this the city which all the nations of the earth shall refer to when cursing another. 7 Now the priests, the prophets, and all the people heard Jeremiah speak these words in the house of the LORD. 8 When Jeremiah finished speaking all that the LORD bade him speak to all the people, the priests and prophets laid hold of him, crying, “You must be put to death! 9 Why do you prophesy in the name of the LORD– ‘This house shall be like Shiloh,’ and ‘This city shall be desolate and deserted’”? And all the people gathered about Jeremiah in the house of the LORD.

P S A L M

Psalm 69:5, 8-10, 14
R: Lord, in your great love, answer me.
4 [5] Those outnumber the hairs of my head who hate me without cause. Too many for my strength are they who wrongfully are my enemies. Must I restore what I did not steal? (R) 7 [8] Since for your sake I bear insult, and shame covers my face. 8 [9] I have become an outcast to my brothers, a stranger to my mother’s sons, 9 [10] because zeal for your house consumes me, and the insults of those who blaspheme you fall upon me. (R) 13 [14] But I pray to you, O LORD, for the time of your favor, O God! In your great kindness answer me with your constant help. (R)

G O S P E L

Familiarity often breeds contempt, or so the saying goes. Jesus had difficulty working miracles in the places where He had grown up probably because people found the shift from friend to prophet/Son of God too difficult to make. I think I would have a similar difficulty if one of my old school friends suddenly turned up in my life claiming to be the Son of God.

Matthew 13:54-58
54 Jesus came to his native place and taught the people in their synagogue. They were astonished and said, “Where did this man get such wisdom and mighty deeds? 55 Is he not the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother named Mary and his brothers James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas? 56 Are not his sisters all with us? Where did this man get all this?” 57 And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his native place and in his own house.” 58 And he did not work many mighty deeds there because of their lack of faith.

my reflections
think:God’s love and blessings are gratuitously given; it’s up to us to respond to them in gratitude.

------------

MOral livinG

The Gospel today speaks about moral living. This Gospel is proper to the memorial of St. Alphonsus Ligouri. He was given the title of Doctor of the Church for his writings on Moral Theology.
Alphonsus was born in Naples, Italy, in 1696. He was a lawyer before he became a priest. He formulated a system called “Moderate Probabilism,” used in his days in resolving moral problems.He also founded the “Redemptorists,” the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer.
Moral living is not only about the Ten Commandments or about a set of Church precepts or a list of “do’s and don’ts.” Moral living is living as Jesus lived. Simply put, it means following Jesus, more than following the law. That is the reason why Jesus came not to abolish the Law and the prophets, but to fulfill them. To become like Jesus is to become a moral person. Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
Moral living is Christ-like living.

Lord Jesus Christ, help me to become more and more like You in my efforts to obey You. It is in being like You that I fulfill all laws and satisfy all obligations that define my Christian faith. Amen.

August
Saturday

DO NO HARm

“Now, therefore, reform your ways and your deeds…” – Jeremiah 26:13

As a surgeon, my husband, Tommy, is often confronted by choices that will influence whether a patient lives or dies. And if that isn’t hard enough, he also has to pass through M&M, otherwise known as Mortality and Morbidity.
An M&M is a conference whereby you’ll have to present the patient’s case and tell a roomful of doctors what you did. After the presentation, you’ll be subjected to questions from all the doctors and you’re forced to defend the choice of treatment that you made. It’s really tough, I tell you.
But you know what I’ve realized? It’s not only doctors who have the power over other people’s lives. We all have the same power. We affect people by the decisions we make, the words that we say and the actions we take. We can choose to contribute positively to their lives or cause them to withdraw from real life.
Just like the doctors, someday, we too shall face judgment. If you hope to have a nice defense, you can learn from the doctors’ Hippocratic Oath. Just remember: “First, do no harm.” Cecil Lim

REFLECTION:
What if you hold the power over someone’s life? How would you handle it?

Lord, use me as an instrument to give life to others.

-----------------

1st READING

Sometimes the only things people want to hear are the things that “tickle their ears.” They are not interested in changing their views or way of life. They are not interested in having the status quo challenged in their lives. So it was in the time of Jeremiah. The officials of the government and Jewish faith conspire to get rid of Jeremiah because he is not saying things that comfort and affirm them. The trouble with this attitude is it assumes we are right and the prophet is wrong. History is full of examples where this was the wrong assumption to make.

Jeremiah 26:11-16, 24
11 The priests and prophets said to the princes and to all the people, “This man deserves death; he has prophesied against this city, as you have heard with your own ears.” 12 Jeremiah gave this answer to the princes and all the people, “It was the LORD who sent me to prophesy against this house and city all that you have heard. 13 Now, therefore, reform your ways and your deeds; listen to the voice of the LORD your God, so that the LORD will repent of the evil with which he threatens you. 14 As for me, I am in your hands; do with me what you think good and right. 15 But mark well if you put me to death, it is innocent blood you bring on yourselves, on this city and its citizens. For in truth it was the LORD who sent me to you, to speak all these things for you to hear.” 16 Thereupon the princes and all the people said to the priests and the prophets, “This man does not deserve death; it is in the name of the LORD, our God, that he speaks to us.” 24 So Ahikam, son of Shaphan, protected Jeremiah, so that he was not handed over to the people to be put to death.

P S A L M

Psalm 69:15-16, 30-31, 33-34
R: Lord, in your great love answer me.
14 [15] Rescue me out of the mire; may I not sink! may I be rescued from my foes, and from the watery depths. 15 [16] Let not the flood-waters overwhelm me, nor the abyss swallow me up, nor the pit close its mouth over me. (R) 29 [30] But I am afflicted and in pain; let your saving help, O God, protect me. 30 [31] I will praise the name of God in song, and I will glorify him with thanksgiving. (R) 32 [33] “See, you lowly ones, and be glad; you who seek God, may your hearts be revived! 33 [34] For the LORD hears the poor, and his own who are in bonds he spurns not.” (R)

G O S P E L

John the Baptist has the same problems as Jeremiah with the officials of his day; only with John, it will eventually cost him his life. Each of us will experience occasions when we have to be a prophetic figure and bring correction or at least, to challenge a community or organization. It is not an easy task but it is normally an essential one for the continued growth of that group. Let us be inspired by our biblical forebears who have shown us the way in such a task.

Matthew 14:1-12
1 Herod the tetrarch heard of the reputation of Jesus 2 and said to his servants, “This man is John the Baptist. He has been raised from the dead; that is why mighty powers are at work in him.” 3 Now Herod had arrested John, bound [him], and put him in prison on account of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip, 4 for John had said to him, “It is not lawful for you to have her.” 5 Although he wanted to kill him, he feared the people, for they regarded him as a prophet. 6 But at a birthday celebration for Herod, the daughter of Herodias performed a dance before the guests and delighted Herod 7 so much that he swore to give her whatever she might ask for. 8 Prompted by her mother, she said, “Give me here on a platter the head of John the Baptist.” 9 The king was distressed, but because of his oaths and the guests who were present, he ordered that it be given, 10 and he had John beheaded in the prison. 11 His head was brought in on a platter and given to the girl, who took it to her mother. 12 His disciples came and took away the corpse and buried him; and they went and told Jesus.

my reflections
think:Each of us will experience occasions when we have to be a prophetic figure and bring correction or at least, to challenge a community or organization.

--------------

danCinG FEEt

Some people are born with dancing feet. I am not. I can sing a tune but I am not good at swaying to a rhythm. When I sang fast songs in my previous concerts, the rehearsals were like punishments for me. Many people call me the “Singing Priest,” but no one ever dared to say that I am a “Dancing Priest.”
The world is like a huge dance floor. Living is like dancing. There are two kinds of music being played: one is mundane while the other is divine. There are two disc jockeys: the devil plays the worldly music while Jesus plays the heavenly. All of us, born with dancing feet or not, sway to the rhythm of either music. The choice is always ours: Do we dance to the rhythm of the world or to the rhythm of Christ?
John the Baptist, whose martyrdom is narrated to us by the gospel today, chose to sway with the heavenly music while Herod, Herodias, Herodias’ daughter, the courtiers and guests of Herod chose to dance to the other kind of rhythm. Thus, John was beheaded. But having been freed from this world, John now dances with Jesus, the “Lord of the Dance”.
John the Baptist is remembered as one who lost his head because Herodias’ daughter seduced Herod with her dance. John was the price paid by Herod for a seductive dance. Such a dance was too expensive, was it not?
That is how the world exacts fees into the dance floor. The payment is always someone’s life. It is either the dancer’s life or the life of whoever refuses to dance to the rhythm of the mundane tune. When the fee is the dancer’s life, it is to that dancer’s perdition. But if the fee is the life of one who refuses to dance to the mundane rhythm, it is that person’s liberation from this intoxicating world.
We may not be born with dancing feet, but we dance through life. As with what rhythm we sway, the choice is always ours.Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
Dancing with the world is perdition, but dancing with Jesus is liberation.

O Jesus, hold my hand and sway me with Your music. Make me move according to Your rhythm. When the world tells me that I am out of rhythm according to its music, help me all the more to dance with You unto Your kingdom. Amen.

St. Eusebius of Vercelli, bishop, pray for us.

August
Monday

mIRACLES

They all ate and were satisfied, and they picked up the fragments left over — twelve wicker baskets full. – Matthew 14:20

It is amazing that Jesus never worked a miracle just to amaze and mesmerize an audience. He never did them for the applause. He did not turn stone to bread to satisfy His hunger. Bishop Fulton Sheen explained that there were about 35 recorded miracles in the Bible which Jesus performed. Of these, three miracles brought the dead to life: a child, a young man and an adult. Nine related to nature such as the calming of the storm and walking over water. A good portion, 23 of them,was healing from sickness such as the lame walking, the deaf hearing and the blind seeing.
Each miracle was a sign leading to the fullness of life in God through Jesus. As with the multiplication of the bread, there were two sets of reactions. The first were those who believed that Jesus is the Messiah. The second were those who followed him, hoping He would do the miracle again and so their stomachs would be filled. The people had a choice: To take the sign as proof of God’s love or to view them as entertainment or selfish satisfaction.
Whenever you read a miracle account, go beyond the supernatural act. Dwell in the loving presence of God in each of His signs. Jun Asis

REFLECTION:
Do I see the real meaning to each miracle Christ performed? Am I moved to love Him more and believe His truth?

Lord, thank You for the daily miracles You send my way. Each of these is a sign of Your love for me.

----------------------

1st READING

Hananiah is a false prophet who makes up his messages from the Lord so that they will be pleasing to the ears of the people and he will be welcomed and feted among them. Jeremiah, on the other hand, speaks the truth and is rejected by the people. God will vindicate Jeremiah in the face of Hananiah and because the people have chosen Hananiah over Jeremiah, they will discover that they will be exiled as Jeremiah told them.

Jeremiah 28:1-17
1 In the beginning of the reign of Zedekiah, king of Judah, in the fifth month of the fourth year, the prophet Hananiah, son of Azzur, from Gibeon, said to me in the house of the LORD in the presence of the priests and all the people. 2 “Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel ‘I will break the yoke of the king of Babylon. 3 Within two years I will restore to this place all the vessels of the temple of the LORD which Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, took away from this place to Babylon. 4 And I will bring back to this place Jeconiah, son of Jehoiakim, king of Judah, and all the exiles of Judah who went to Babylon,’ says the LORD, ‘for I will break the yoke of the king of Babylon.’ ” 5 The prophet Jeremiah answered the prophet Hananiah in the presence of the priests and all the people assembled in the house of the LORD, 6 and said, Amen! Thus may the LORD do! May he fulfill the things you have prophesied by bringing the vessels of the house of the LORD and all the exiles back from Babylon to this place! 7 But now, listen to what I am about to state in your hearing and the hearing of all the people. 8 From of old, the prophets who were before you and me prophesied war, woe, and pestilence against many lands and mighty kingdoms. 9 But the prophet who prophesies peace is recognized as truly sent by the LORD only when his prophetic prediction is fulfilled. 10 Thereupon the prophet Hananiah took the yoke from the neck of the prophet Jeremiah, broke it, 11 and said in the presence of all the people, “Thus says the LORD: ‘Even so, within two years I will break the yoke of Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, from off the neck of all the nations.’ ” At that, the prophet Jeremiah went away. 12 Some time after the prophet Hananiah had broken the yoke from off the neck of the prophet Jeremiah, the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah. 13 Go tell Hananiah this: Thus says the LORD: By breaking a wooden yoke, you forge an iron yoke! 14 For thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: A yoke of iron I will place on the necks of all these nations serving Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, and they shall serve him; even the beasts of the field I give him. 15 To the prophet Hananiah the prophet Jeremiah said: Hear this, Hananiah! The LORD has not sent you, and you have raised false confidence in this people. 16 For this, says the LORD, I will dispatch you from the face of the earth; this very year you shall die, because you have preached rebellion against the LORD. 17 That same year, in the seventh month, Hananiah the prophet died.

P S A L M

Psalm 119:29, 43, 79, 80, 95, 102
R: Lord teach me your statutes.
29 Remove from me the way of falsehood, and favor me with your law. (R) 43 Take not the word of truth from my mouth, for in your ordinances is my hope. (R) 79 Let those turn to me who fear you and acknowledge your decrees. (R) 80 Let my heart be perfect in your statutes, that I be not put to shame. (R) 95 Sinners wait to destroy me, but I pay heed to your decrees. (R) 102 From your ordinances I turn not away, for you have instructed me. (R)

G O S P E L

Peter follows Jesus’ command and steps out of the boat on to the water. Either he is a fool or he is a man of tremendous faith. He cannot be anything in between or else he would not have done what he did. I think he is the latter, not a fool, or perhaps we might want to see him as a fool for Christ and thus have a bet both ways? All I know is that to follow Jesus will require for us to step out in faith into the unknown as Peter does here, trusting that Jesus has everything in hand. Are you game to do this?

Matthew 14:13-21 (or Matthew 14:22-36)
13 When Jesus heard of it, he withdrew in a boat to a deserted place by himself. The crowds heard of this and followed him on foot from their towns. 14 When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, and he cured their sick. 15 When it was evening, the disciples approached him and said, “This is a deserted place and it is already late; dismiss the crowds so that they can go to the villages and buy food for themselves.” 16 [Jesus] said to them, “There is no need for them to go away; give them some food yourselves.” 17 But they said to him, “Five loaves and two fish are all we have here.” 18 Then he said, “Bring them here to me,” 19 and he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, he said the blessing, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds. 20 They all ate and were satisfied, and they picked up the fragments left over — twelve wicker baskets full. 21 Those who ate were about five thousand men, not counting women and children.

my reflections
think:To follow Jesus will require for us to step out in faith into the unknown.

------------------

saCraMEnt OF GOd’s MErCy

He almost did not make it to the priesthood. He was a slow learner or so they say. He had a hard time with Latin. And during his time, a seminarian had to be fluent in Latin to be considered for ordination to the priesthood. Jean Baptiste Marie Vianney became a priest because of mercy.
God’s mercy made John Marie Vianney a priest. He became a priest not because he deserved it. He became a priest because God desired it and gave him such a very precious gift gratuitously. Jean Vianney was a sacrament of God’s mercy. No wonder, he devoted much of his entire priestly life dispensing God’s mercy through the Sacrament of Reconciliation. He spent very long hours in the confessional, reconciling men and women with God, and giving them spiritual advice. He was also renowned for his devotion to the Holy Eucharist. A humble servant of God, He served in parish of Ars for 42 years until he passed from this life to the next. Pope Piux XI declared John Marie Vianney, who almost did not become a priest, Patron of the Universal Clergy.
As Patron of the Universal Clergy, John Marie Vianney reminds priests that their priesthood is always an unmerited gift that the Lord entrusted to them. It is out of His mercy and of His mercy alone that they are priests. They are priests because of the Lord’s mercy, priests by their life and ministry, and must serve as reminders of God’s mercy to His People. They are priests; they are sacraments of God’s mercy.
Priests must always be merciful. Otherwise, they have already forgotten what they really are. Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
God’s gifts are always gratuitously given.

Thank You, O God, for all the gifts You give me. When I fail to thank You, please remind me immediately and let me show my gratitude to You sincerely. As I receive gratuitously from You, so help me give freely to others, too. Amen.

St. John Vianney, priest, pray for us.

August
Thursday

DENSE

“… you live in the midst of a rebellious house, they have eyes to see but do not see and ears to hear but do not hear for they are a rebellious
house. “ – Ezekiel 12:2

For 10 years, I was praying to the Lord to reveal to me if this man was the one He set apart for me. We were going steady for several years when I found out he had another girlfriend. My friends had been trying to give me several hints that I didn’t seem to get. Finally, they cornered me and say what a no good guy he was. I prayed silently, absorbed the shock and responded by saying that God’s message was for me to forgive him 70 times seven times. It took super human strength for them to restrain one of our friends from hitting me with a chair. That’s why I became a Christian for a time like this, I rationalized. Even after my boyfriend got another girl pregnant, I continued to forgive and prayed that the Lord would reveal His plan to me. I figured if He could make stones praise Him, then He could transform my boyfriend into good husband material.
It took 10 years before I got the hint that this guy was so wrong for me. I was pretty dense, you might say. But not dense enough for God. He never runs out of patience even for the rebellious ones.Ronna Ledesma

REFLECTION:
Do you also have a funny story to tell? Don’t worry, God is patient with us when we make fools of ourselves.

Thank You, Lord, for never getting tired of showing us the right way to go.

1st READING

It must be a very sad sight for the Lord to be confronted with a people who seem incapable of seeing and hearing what He is calling them to do. And so often this is probably the state of affairs in our own lives! It is a bit scary to listen to the next line of Ezekiel when He labels such people as rebels; in truth, that is what we are. If we refuse to see the truth, and think our ignorance vincible, then we are at fault to the point that we have deliberately decided to ignore God’s rightful role in our lives. Sounds like a fairly good definition of rebellion to me. Perhaps it is time for us to repent of our rebellion against God’s will?

Ezekiel 12:1-12
1 The word of the LORD came to me: 2 Son of man, you live in the midst of a rebellious house; they have eyes to see but do not see, and ears to hear but do not hear, for they are a rebellious house. 3 Now, son of man, during the day while they are looking on, prepare your baggage as though for exile, and again while they are looking on, migrate from where you live to another place; perhaps they will see that they are a rebellious house. 4 You shall bring out your baggage like an exile in the daytime while they are looking on; in the evening, again while they are looking on, you shall go out like one of those driven into exile; 5 while they look on, dig a hole in the wall and pass through it; 6 while they look on, shoulder the burden and set out in the darkness; cover your face that you may not see the land, for I have made you a sign for the house of Israel. 7 I did as I was told. During the day I brought out my baggage as though it were that of an exile, and at evening I dug a hole through the wall with my hand and, while they looked on, set out in the darkness, shouldering my burden. 8 Then, in the morning, the word of the LORD came to me 9 Son of man, did not the house of Israel, that rebellious house, ask you what you were doing? 10 Tell them: Thus says the Lord GOD: This oracle concerns Jerusalem and the whole house of Israel within it. 11 I am a sign for you as I have done, so shall it be done to them; as captives they shall go into exile. 12 The prince who is among them shall shoulder his burden and set out in darkness, going through a hole that he has dug in the wall, and covering his face lest he be seen by anyone.

P S A L M

Psalm 78:56-57, 58-59, 61-62
R: Do not forget the works of the Lord!
56 They tempted and rebelled against God the Most High, and kept not his decrees. 57 They turned back and were faithless like their fathers; they recoiled like a treacherous bow. (R) 58 They angered him with their high places and with their idols roused his jealousy. 59 God heard and was enraged and utterly rejected Israel. (R) 61 And he surrendered his strength into captivity, his glory into the hands of the foe. 62 He abandoned his people to the sword and was enraged against his inheritance. (R)

G O S P E L

Forgiveness is something that is rarely easy to bring to another person for exactly the reason that underlies Peter’s question. How can we be sure that they will not take advantage of our goodwill and do it again? The troubling answer is that we cannot be sure. The even more uncomfortable fact is that we are called to forgive them again if they do. The only comforting thing in all of this is the knowledge that this is how God acts in relation to our sins. I suppose if it is good enough for God, it is good enough for me.

Matthew 18:21–19:1
21 Peter approaching asked him, “Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?” 22 Jesus answered, “I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times. 23 That is why the kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king who decided to settle accounts with his servants. 24 When he began the accounting, a debtor was brought before him who owed him a huge amount. 25 Since he had no way of paying it back, his master ordered him to be sold, along with his wife, his children, and all his property, in payment of the debt. 26 At that, the servant fell down, did him homage, and said, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you back in full.’ 27 Moved with compassion the master of that servant let him go and forgave him the loan. 28 When that servant had left, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a much smaller amount. He seized him and started to choke him, demanding, ‘Pay back what you owe.’ 29 Falling to his knees, his fellow servant begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you back.’ 30 But he refused. Instead, he had him put in prison until he paid back the debt. 31 Now when his fellow servants saw what had happened, they were deeply disturbed, and went to their master and reported the whole affair. 32 His master summoned him and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you your entire debt because you begged me to. 33 Should you not have had pity on your fellow servant, as I had pity on you?’ 34 Then in anger his master handed him over to the torturers until he should pay back the whole debt. 35 So will my heavenly Father do to you, unless each of you forgives his brother from his heart.” 19: 1 When Jesus finished these words, he left Galilee and went to the district of Judea across the Jordan.

my reflections
think: If we refuse to see the truth, and think our ignorance vincible, then we are at fault to the point that we have deliberately decided to ignore

thE art OF FOrGivinG

The Bible is a book about God’s compassion and forgiveness — even the Old Testament! For God never changes. He punishes, yes, but with punishment always comes mercy.
When Adam and Eve had sinned, God punished, but then He gave them clothes to cover their shame — a symbol of forgiveness. Cain killed his brother Abel. God punished him, but also marked him with a mark of protection so that nobody would kill him in return. When the Israelites disobeyed His commandments, God punished them but called leaders to save them from enemies. And when Jesus died on the cross, He prayed for His torturers, “Father, forgive them!”
When God created man He created him “in His image and likeness.” In other words, we are supposed to mirror God, to make Him visible in this world. And when one of God’s strongest characteristics is forgiveness, we understand Jesus’ harsh words in today’s parable against those who are not ready to forgive in small matters when they themselves have enjoyed incredible amounts of God’s forgiveness: “My heavenly Father will treat you the same way if you do not forgive one another from your heart.”
In the prayer Jesus taught us, He makes us pray a tricky sentence, “Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sinned against us.” This indicates that we expect from God forgiveness only if we forgive others. Divine and human forgiveness go hand in hand.
It is understandable that forgiving other is so important in our quest for heaven. For if we have never learned to forgive, our hearts are not tuned in God’s wavelength and so heaven is out for us. And imagine: You would meet in heaven all those you were not ready and able to forgive on earth. This would turn heaven into hell for you.
To forgive is not easy, of course. To forgive is an art. The deeper we are hurt the more difficult it is to reach out and say from the heart “I forgive you.” It is a grace we have to pray for. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:
What makes it difficult to forgive people? Do I easily give in to the temptation not to forgive?

Lord, how often You have already forgiven me for my sins! Every time I go to confession I hear the magic words, “I forgive you because I love you.” Lord, it is You who teaches me the art of forgiving. Help me to become a good student!

St, Maximilian Kolbe, priest and martur, pray for us.

September
Saturday

IN THE FACE OF AN ENEmY

When ridiculed, we bless; when persecuted, we endure. - 1 Corinthians 4:12

In one of the episodes of the TV series ER, Dr. Benton, a black American physician, was about to go home after working long hours in the hospital. It was his mom’s birthday and the family is throwing a party for her. On his way out, a skinhead is rolled into the ER with a tattoo on his arm saying “Die, Nigger, Die.” Dr. Benton attended to him and saved his life, consequently missing the birthday party of his mom.
It takes a lot of courage to face an enemy, and even a greater braveness to actually do him good. But it is a call to all of us who wish to be true disciples of Christ. It is never easy to be holy but every time we go through the fire, every time we pass the test, Jesus is there on the other side, waiting to say, “Good job! Well done!”Jane Gonzales

REFLECTION:
When you are treated like rubbish, do you try to get even or do you reply in kindness and try to heal the hurt?

Lord, grant me the gift of fortitude that I may handle well the adversities of life. Amen.

1st READING

Paul paints a fairly bleak picture of life as a Christian in the first generation of the Gospel. At least he is being honest and not painting some sort of unreal picture of Christianity to prospective converts. Today the picture could be said to be much the same, particularly in the more secular parts of the Western world. Here Christians are often caricatured and made into an easy target for the secular apologists. We have to
be strong enough to stand on the truth and let the witness of our lives do the talking.

1 Corinthians 4:6b-15
6 I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, so that you may learn from us not to go beyond what is written, so that none of you will be inflated with pride in favor of one person over against another. 7 Who confers distinction upon you? What do you possess that you have not received? But if you have received it, why are you boasting as if you did not receive it? 8 You are already satisfied; you have already grown rich; you have become kings without us! Indeed, I wish that you had become kings, so that we also might become kings with you. 9 For as I see it, God has exhibited us apostles as the last of all, like people sentenced to death, since we have become a spectacle to the world, to angels and human beings alike. 10 We are fools on Christ’s account, but you are wise in Christ; we are weak, but you are strong; you are held in honor, but we in disrepute. 11 To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are poorly clad and roughly treated, we wander about homeless 12 and we toil, working with our own hands. When ridiculed, we bless; when persecuted, we endure; 13 when slandered, we respond gently. We have become like the world’s rubbish, the scum of all, to this very moment. 14 I am writing you this not to shame you, but to admonish you as my beloved children. 15 Even if you should have countless guides to Christ, yet you do not have many fathers, for I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

P S A L M

Psalm 145:17-18, 19-20, 21
R: The Lord is near to all who call upon him.
17 The LORD is just in all his ways and holy in all his works. 18 The LORD is near to all who call upon him, to all who call upon him in truth. (R) 19 He fulfills the desire of those who fear him, he hears their cry and saves them. (R) 20 The LORD keeps all who love him, but all the wicked he will destroy. (R) 21 May my mouth speak the praise of the LORD, and may all flesh bless his holy name forever and ever. (R)

G O S P E L

Why was the Sabbath given to man? What is the meaning of the Sabbath rest? These two questions ought to be at the forefront of the minds of the Pharisees at this time. And if they were, they would understand that the present understanding they have is a long way from the one God intended when He gave them the law. I am not saying that we can discard a law that does not suit us anymore, but we do have to be careful that we do not maintain a law or an interpretation of a law that is not in the spirit of the origin of the law.

Luke 6:1-5
1 While he was going through a field of grain on a sabbath, his disciples were picking the heads of grain, rubbing them in their hands, and eating them. 2 Some Pharisees said, “Why are you doing what is unlawful on the sabbath?” 3 Jesus said to them in reply, “Have you not read what David did when he and those who were with him were hungry? 4 How he went into the house of God, took the bread of offering, which only the priests could lawfully eat, ate of it, and shared it with his companions.” 5 Then he said to them, “The Son of Man is lord of the sabbath.”

my reflections
think: We have to be strong enough to stand on the truth and let the witness of our lives do the talking.

aUthEntiC rEliGiOn

Jesus once again rebuts the Pharisees accusing His disciples of breaking the Sabbath prescriptions. This time He invokes an Old Testament incident concerning David and his men, who, in a moment of hunger, ate the bread of offering in the house of God. The point of our Lord is that satisfying human needs and performing works of mercy and kindness can and do take precedence even over religious prescriptions.
Religious beliefs, traditions and rituals need not and should not contradict our nature as human persons. Our nature, fallen and tainted as it is, has nevertheless been created in the first place by God as something good, and then sanctified by God’s Incarnation, and redeemed by Jesus’ work of Redemption. Religion can thus build on top of it, as it were, with its many positive qualities. Whereas we tend to look upon our lowly human nature as something negative, it need not be so. Our human needs and endeavors are there precisely to make up the “building blocks” or the raw material of God’s grace. The following passage, taken from the Anglican Digest, shows this —
The True Religion
At home, it is kindness.
In business, it is honesty.
In society, it is courtesy.
In work, it is thoroughness.
In play, it is fairness.
Toward the fortunate, it is congratulations.
Toward the weak, it is help.
Toward wickedness, it is forgiveness.
Toward God, it is reverence, love and obedience.
It would be too bad if “Mr. Christian,” who goes to Church and never misses a Sunday, would go to hell for what he did on Monday. Let us thank Jesus, who is the Lord of the Sabbath and the “owner of Sunday” for setting the record straight when it comes to the practice of our religion. Fr. Martin Macasaet

Reflection Questions:
Have I made religious observances and prescriptions more important than satisfying my neighbor’s needs — of loving my neighbor?

Wake me up, Lord, when You see me become so religious, so set in my ways that I forget the more important aspects of the law: the law of love and mercy.

Blessed Thomas Tsughi, Japanese martyr, pray for us.

October
Saturday

WhEN thE FRuIts tAKE LONG

“Sir, leave it for this year also, and I shall cultivate the ground around it and fertilize it; it may bear fruit in the future.” – Luke 13:8-9

Every first working Monday of the month, we have a prayer meeting at the office. At the start of every year, we ask ourselves, “Do we want to continue with the prayer meetings?” “Do we see its fruits in the way we relate with one another and in how we work?”
I told my boss that perhaps it would be better if we hold it after office hours, so that only those who are really interested will attend. Holding it during office hours (followed by a free lunch) makes it like an obligation that one has to attend. What happens after the prayer meetings is a different matter — far from what you would expect to see when people pray together.
Still, survey says the majority wants the prayer meetings to continue. I gave in, with a fervent prayer in my heart that the prayer meetings will bear fruit in our lives — now or in the future — whether I get to see them or not in my lifetime. After all, it is God who makes the trees bear fruit. I can only cultivate the soil around it. Tess Atienza

REFLECTION:
In what areas of your life do you need patience?

Lord, I can only do so much. The rest is up to You.

1st READING

One of the goals of the Christian life is to grow into the likeness and Body of Christ. This image of the Church is very strong in the writings of St. Paul and thus we can see one of the basic structures of his preaching in this image. We also see how he sought to set up the structures of the early Church communities he established. It is important to see how Paul’s understanding of the Church is--that it is a work in progress. We are not yet complete or perfect as individuals or the Church, and thus should always seek to grow toward the final goal of union with the Trinity.

Ephesians 4:17-16
7 Brothers and sisters: Grace was given to each of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift. 8 Therefore, it says: “He ascended on high and took prisoners captive; he gave gifts to men.” 9 What does “he ascended” mean except that he also descended into the lower regions of the earth? 10 The one who descended is also the one who ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things. 11 And he gave some as apostles, others as prophets, others as evangelists, others as pastors and teachers, 12 to equip the holy ones for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until we all attain to the unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the extent of the full stature of Christ, 14 so that we may no longer be infants, tossed by waves and swept along by every wind of teaching arising from human trickery, from their cunning in the interests of deceitful scheming. 15 Rather, living the truth in love, we should grow in every way into him who is the head, Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, with the proper functioning of each part, brings about the body’s growth and builds itself up in love.

P S A L M

Psalm 122: 1-2, 3-4ab, 4cd-5
R: Let us go rejoicing to the house of the Lord.
1 I rejoiced because they said to me, “We will go up to the house of the LORD.” 2 And now we have set foot within your gates, O Jerusalem. (R) 3 Jerusalem, built as a city with compact unity. 4 To it the tribes go up, the tribes of the LORD. (R) According to the decree for Israel, to give thanks to the name of the LORD. 5 In it are set up judgment seats, seats for the house of David. (R)

G O S P E L

God is merciful in His dealings with us. He does not demand instant transformation, particularly from habits that have established themselves over the years. Yet, at the same time, He will not wait forever. Like the fig tree in the Gospel, even if our lives are not yet perfect, we should still be bearing at least some fruit for the Kingdom of God! It is not a matter of becoming perfect before entering into His service – most of the work of perfecting us comes as we are in the service of God’s will and word.

Luke 13:1-9
1 Some people who were present there told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with the blood of their sacrifices. 2 He said to them in reply, “Do you think that because these Galileans suffered in this way they were greater sinners than all other Galileans? 3 By no means! But I tell you, if you do not repent, you will all perish as they did! 4 Or those eighteen people who were killed when the tower at Siloam fell on them — do you think they were more guilty than everyone else who lived in Jerusalem? 5 By no means! But I tell you, if you do not repent, you will all perish as they did!” 6 And he told them this parable: “There once was a person who had a fig tree planted in his orchard, and when he came in search of fruit on it but found none, 7 he said to the gardener, ‘For three years now I have come in search of fruit on this fig tree but have found none. So cut it down. Why should it exhaust the soil?’ 8 He said to him in reply, ‘Sir, leave it for this year also, and I shall cultivate the ground around it and fertilize it; 9 it may bear fruit in the future. If not you can cut it down.’ ”

my reflections
think:
Even if our lives are not yet perfect, we should still be bearing at least some fruit for the Kingdom of God.

LIVING THE TRUTH IN LOVE

This is the central principle of discipleship. It is the example that Christ has given us to follow. It sounds as though it’s easy to do, but all who have set themselves to this task have found it much easier to say and understand than to put into practice.The thing that makes it so difficult is temptation and sin. This is the constant struggle of the disciple, namely to reject temptation and sin, and embrace the will of God for our lives. The times when we fail to do this should not discourage us. We need to get up and get on with life, repent of our sin and set our eyes back on the goal, and move forward. The reading tells us that the goal of life is to “grow in every way into the head who is Christ.” Furthermore, the way this happens is that “living the truth in love” allows the body and all its parts to be strengthened, and come together in unity and love.
Each Christian must decide to make these principles his own if he wants to progress in the life of holiness. Once the decision is made, putting it into practice is the daily task of Christian living. We should draw courage and strength from the example of Christ who constantly had to make decisions in order to remain faithful to His Father’s will. Discipleship was not an easy decision for Jesus nor will it be an easy one for any one of us. The example of Jesus shows that if something is worth pursuing, then it is worth the effort needed to reach the goal. It is only the witness of individual Christian lives that will demonstrate to the world that Christian discipleship is indeed a lifestyle worth the effort and energy.
The world today is in dire need of examples of the lives of men and women who will witness to the truth of the Gospel in love. Let us be willing to take up this call. Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
How well do I put the above principle into action in my life?

Lord Jesus, help me by Your grace to love others in all that I do. Let my life become a living example of the Christian Gospel in action.

St. Fronto, bishop, pray for us.

October
Sunday

WIthOut GEttING tIRED

“You shall love the Lord your God… You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” – Matthew 22:37, 39

“Do not think that love in order to be genuine has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired,” said Mother Teresa. I was asking the Lord how I could love Him more last Holy Week when I remembered this quote which my brother sent me on my birthday.
I realized that far too many times, I think of love as something that must be extraordinary, something heroic and cinematic just like what the saints did: dying as a martyr, going to a faraway land as a missionary, fasting often and the like. I forget that more often, love is an everyday, ordinary thing. Waking up early to cook for the family. Working hard to be able to send the children to school. Trying to be patient with an irritating officemate. So on that day, I prayed for the grace of an untiring love.
For many of us who are called to an ordinary and sometimes seemingly humdrum existence, we have to realize that loving Jesus is always extraordinary — whatever everyday form it might take. Because everything we do, as long as it is done in the spirit of love, is special to Him and comes from Him who is Love. Joy Sosoban

REFLECTION:
Love and do what you like. (St. Augustine)

Dear Lord, increase my love that everything I do will be an offering of love to You.

1st READING

We have a duty to care for the strangers in our land. Governments have a moral responsibility in this regard, and an even bigger moral responsibility if the strangers are refugees from their homeland due to persecution or other troubles. Some countries of the world take this responsibility seriously but many do not. It is important that we don’t keep silent as citizens when there is a clear call to stand up for and protect those who have little or no voice to defend themselves.

Exodus 22: 20-26
20 Thus says the Lord: “You shall not molest or oppress an alien, for you were once aliens yourselves in the land of Egypt. 21 You shall not wrong any widow or orphan. 22 If ever you wrong them and they cry out to me, I will surely hear their cry. 23 My wrath will flare up, and I will kill you with the sword; then your own wives will be widows, and your children orphans. 24 “If you lend money to one of your poor neighbors among my people, you shall not act like an extortioner toward him by demanding interest from him. 25 If you take your neighbor’s cloak as a pledge, you shall return it to him before sunset; 26 for this cloak of his is the only covering he has for his body. What else has he to sleep in? If he cries out to me, I will hear him; for I am compassionate.

P S A L M

Psalm 18: 2-3, 3-4, 47, 51(2 )
R: I love you, Lord, my strength.
1 [2] I love you, O LORD, my strength, 2 [3] O LORD, my rock, my fortress, my deliverer. (R) My God, my rock of refuge, my shield, the horn of my salvation, my stronghold! 3 [4] Praised be the LORD, I exclaim, and I am safe from my enemies. (R) 46 [47] The LORD live! And blessed be my Rock! Extolled be God my savior. 50 [51] You who gave great victories to your king and showed kindness to your anointed. (R)

2nd READING

Paul commends the Thessalonians for their witness in their region in the way of Gospel living. However, we will see later that all is not well in the Thessalonian community. They are not yet perfect in their lifestyle. This is true of all communities. It is important that we all remain open to the correction of our faults so that the witness we give will continue to grow in both authenticity and strength.

1 Thessalonians 1: 5c-10
5 Brothers and sisters: You know what sort of people we were among you for your sake. 6 And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, receiving the word in great affliction, with joy from the holy Spirit, 7 so that you became a model for all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. 8 For from you the word of the Lord has sounded forth not only in Macedonia and [in] Achaia, but in every place your faith in God has gone forth, so that we have no need to say anything. 9 For they themselves openly declare about us what sort of reception we had among you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God 10 and to await his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus, who delivers us from the coming wrath.

G O S P E L

Jesus summarizes the moral law of the Gospel with two all-encompassing laws of love. They equally summarize the Ten Commandments well – namely the love of God and the love of our neighbor. It is not enough just to do what we think might be the loving thing according to our feelings. The love Jesus is speaking about here is the love that comes from the heart, yes, but it is also a love that is ALWAYS guided by moral truth. This makes it a far greater challenge to implement.

Matthew 22: 34-40
34 When the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together, 35 and one of them [a scholar of the law] tested him by asking, 36 “Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?” 37 He said to him, “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the greatest and the first commandment. 39 The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”

my reflections
think:It is important that we all remain open to the correction of our faults so that the witness we give will continue to grow.

WHAT IS THE GREATEST COMMANDMENT?

Let us never forget the answer Jesus gives to the above question as it is the basis of how we should prioritize our lives. We neglect to reflect upon this Gospel to our own detriment and pain. One of the reasons we experience so much disorder and struggle in our lives is that we do not surrender them to God. Rather, we focus upon our own limited understanding of what we want out of life. I can assure you now that God’s will for your life will bring far greater fulfillment than anything you could imagine or ask for from Him. Do you believe that?
Before you answer the question, think a bit about the structure of your day and where you place your daily prayer time and Scripture reading – is it given top priority? Or do you fit it in whenever there is a spare moment? Jesus knew His need for quiet and so goes off into the desert or into the mountains to pray at regular intervals. He does so to maintain His relationship with His Father and His commitment to His Father’s will and not just His own. This is the model for Christian discipleship that we all must take up.
Even the Pharisees and men of the law in Israel knew that love of God must have the priority in their lives, yet so often it was the law that intervened. Why does this happen? I think it happens simply because one of the tendencies of human beings is to seek to control their environment, and in particular the people around them. This is what the focus on the law helps the Pharisees to do and thus why they have such a commitment to it: It maintained their authority and governance over the people according to their own ideals so long as they could make them look as though they were coming from the law of God.
The human heart can be very deceiving. This is why it needs to be placed directly under the guidance of God so that we do not have an intervening reality, in this case the Law, to complicate, confuse or to even hide the true object of our faith, namely God. Let us seek God above all things, even the law. Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
Is God the center of my life? Does He take first priority in all my thoughts and actions? How can I better honor God in all that I do?

Holy Spirit, help me to put aside the temptations of sin so that I can focus my life on responding to Your love and will for my life.

St. Bean, pray for us.

October
Monday

REAChING Out

“… you are set free of your infirmity.” – Luke 13:12

During the Christmas season of 2006, I received a text message from one of my college buddies asking for prayers. His son needed two brain operations to stop his veins from hemorrhaging. He was also asking for financial help.
That same year, a friend of mine lost his wife to cancer after a long battle. Shortly after that, he lost his father. He was still grieving a year later.
Last year, my wife and I were hurt because of some broken relationships. Even as I write, we suffer the loss of some friendships. Anywhere you go, there are people in need, hurting or dying emotionally, physically and spiritually. And today, we are reminded of Jesus’ sensitivity to see a need and heal it. The stooped woman didn’t even ask Jesus for healing. All she did was show up where He was.
Many times because of our busyness we fail to reach out and be an instrument of healing. Let us pray for the grace to be the Lord’s hand to touch people.Ariel Driz

REFLECTION:
Am I sensitive to the needs of my neighbor?

Lord Jesus, there are broken people around me. Grant me the grace to recognize them and reach out as You would want me to. Amen.

1st READING

It is definitely not easy to live a holy and pure life guided by the principles of the Scriptures. Paul challenges us to leave behind any salacious talk and jokes. We live in a world where the advertising industry would be virtually wiped out if it were not able to use sexual innuendo in its marketing ploys! Yet, this is the call placed upon our lives. Either we are going to take seriously the call and moral demands of the Gospel or we are not!

Ephesians 4:32–5:8
32 Brothers and sisters: Be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another as God has forgiven you in Christ. 5: 1 Be imitators of God, as beloved children, 2 and live in love, as Christ loved us and handed himself over for us as a sacrificial offering to God for a fragrant aroma. 3 Immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be mentioned among you, as is fitting among holy ones, 4 no obscenity or silly or suggestive talk, which is out of place, but instead, thanksgiving. 5 Be sure of this, that no immoral or impure or greedy person, that is, an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty arguments, for because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the disobedient. 7 So do not be associated with them. 8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light.

P S A L M

Psalm 1: 1-2, 3, 4 and 6
R: Behave like God as his very dear children.
1 Blessed the man who follows not the counsel of the wicked nor walks in the way of sinners, nor sits in the company of the insolent, 2 but delights in the law of the LORD and meditates on his law day and night. (R) 3 He is like a tree planted near running water, that yields its fruit in due season, and whose leaves never fade. Whatever he does, prospers. (R) 4 Not so the wicked, not so; they are like chaff which the wind drives away. 6 For the LORD watches over the way of the just, but the way of the wicked vanishes. (R)

G O S P E L

I think the synagogue official must have sounded pretty ridiculous in the way he chastised Jesus for healing a woman who had an infirmity for the last 18 years on the Sabbath. It is plain to anyone with even a modicum of common sense that the Sabbath Law does not apply to such a situation. Let us not become beholden to the letter of the law when that is clearly not the issue at stake. Let us seek to live lives of love and mercy as we live according to the Law.

Luke 13: 10-17
10 Jesus was teaching in a synagogue on the sabbath. 11 And a woman was there who for eighteen years had been crippled by a spirit; she was bent over, completely incapable of standing erect. 12 When Jesus saw her, he called to her and said, “Woman, you are set free of your infirmity.” 13 He laid his hands on her, and she at once stood up straight and glorified God. 14 But the leader of the synagogue, indignant that Jesus had cured on the sabbath, said to the crowd in reply, “There are six days when work should be done. Come on those days to be cured, not on the sabbath day.” 15 The Lord said to him in reply, “Hypocrites! Does not each one of you on the sabbath untie his ox or his ass from the manger and lead it out for watering? 16 This daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound for eighteen years now, ought she not to have been set free on the sabbath day from this bondage?” 17 When he said this, all his adversaries were humiliated; and the whole crowd rejoiced at all the splendid deeds done by him.

my reflections
think:Let us seek to live lives of love and mercy as we live according to the Law.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Isaiah 21-24

UNDERSTANDING THE SPIRIT OF THE LAW

We have a moral obligation to implement the law of God with love, and not just through a simple literalist spirit. We need to ask ourselves, “What is the intention of God in giving us this particular law?” Jesus challenges the synagogue officials to listen carefully to what He is saying and to be reasonable in their application of the law. The officials tended to be very understanding in the application of the law to personal situations but absolutely legalistic – and according to Jesus, totally unreasonable – when applying it to others. It seems that those who were least able to argue for and defend themselves were the ones most likely to be victims of their legalism.
We cannot be complacent in this regard as each of us will find ourselves in similar situations many times during our lives, both on the giving and receiving end. We do well to remember the beatitude that tells us mercy will be shown to the person willing to be merciful to others.
Sometimes there are laws that are absolute, such as the call to respect the dignity of human life at all times. However, even these need to be implemented with love, explaining to the individuals concerned how and why the principle applies to their particular situation. This can be quite difficult and would take a long road of understanding for some but the demands of the Gospel of love requires us to be willing to walk with one another during such difficult times.
Let us take our lead from Jesus and seek to apply all laws with love and compassion. If it is necessary to punish an individual for what he has done, then such a punishment should be applied with the view to the person’s conversion and rehabilitation. If it is for purely punitive reasons, then we have moved outside the boundary of the call to love — what we call revenge. God does not punish us for our sins– He forgives us. The consequences of our sins merely follow what we do outside the laws of God. This should make us reflect upon our actions so that we will be inspired not to sin in the future. Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
How do I view the call to apply the law in love to others? Do I tend to seek punitive revenge to those who sin against me?

Lord Jesus, you have taught us the way of love and it is a way of forgiveness and compassion and understanding. Help me to grow in these three virtues.

St. Abraham the poor, hermit, pray for us.

October
Tuesday

mEmbER OF thE hOusEhOLD

You are now fellow citizens of God’s people and members of the family of God. – Ephesians 2:19

“Stop!”
“Hey, STOP! I’m going down,” I barked at the conductor and driver of the bus. I was irritated because the distance I had to walk to my destination was even farther than the distance I traveled by riding the bus.
Then I noticed that the other passengers were giggling. Then the conductor said, “Nay, unloading here is prohibited.” Then he pointed to the large signs outside.
My, how Ayala Avenue has changed since the last time I was here. As I waded through the crowded streets, I was fascinated by the towering buildings. I was bumping into people left and right and — yes — I was lost.
A lump formed in my throat as I felt overwhelmed by how different things have been since I took my “grand vacation” at the Women’s Correctional. Suddenly, fear of my ignorance took over me.
But, praise God, I remembered something He told me in His Word — that I am a fellow citizen of God’s people and member of the family of God. Hence, I had no reason to be afraid. And I walked to my destination with my head held high. Beth Coral

REFLECTION:
When people or situations make you feel intimidated, remember who your Father is.

Lord, thank You for making me a member of Your family and household.

1st READING

As sinners, we are excluded from the fellowship of the saints in heaven. We are also aliens to the life of virtue. However, if we follow the call God places upon our lives, this can all change for the better. The choice is up to us. We celebrate the lives of Sts. Simon and Jude today, apostles of Jesus who decided to follow Him and so became great evangelists and servants of the Kingdom of God.

Ephesians : 9-
19 Brothers and sisters: You are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God, 20 built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the capstone. 21 Through him the whole structure is held together and grows into a temple sacred in the Lord; 22 in him you also are being built together into a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

P S A L M

Psalm 9: - , 4-
R: Their message goes out through all the earth.
1 [2] The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament proclaims his handiwork. 2 [3] Day pours out the word to day, and night to night imparts knowledge. (R) 3 [4] Not a word nor a discourse whose voice is not heard; 4 [5] through all the earth their voice resounds, and to the ends of the world, their message. (R)

G O S P E L

To live and work under the call of Jesus is obviously an exciting way of life. You never really know what God will ask you to do next, or how He will use you for His purposes in proclaiming the Kingdom of God. As each of us seeks to follow God as best we can, let us draw inspiration from the scriptural examples of the men and women who have preceded us in our faith. We are never alone in our discipleship. We have many to lean on here on earth, and also to intercede for us in heaven.

Luke 6: - 6
12 Jesus went up to the mountain to pray, and he spent the night in prayer to God. 13 When day came, he called his disciples to himself, and from them he chose Twelve, whom he also named apostles: 14 Simon, whom he named Peter, and his brother Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, 15 Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, Simon who was called a Zealot, 16 and Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.

my reflections
think: We are never alone in our discipleship. We have many to lean on here on earth, and also to intercede for us in heaven.

COUNTING OUR BLESSINGS

Sometimes, I wonder how I would have done as one of the apostles. I wonder, given the circumstances of actually meeting Jesus in the flesh, whether or not I would have had the courage to follow Him in the first place, let alone become a martyr for my faith after He had ascended into heaven. These wonderings may be a bit of a waste of time but they have led me to a deeper response to Jesus as I have come to be convinced that unless we make a radical choice for God and act upon it, we will get caught up in the midst of the world and all of its values and agendas, and become insipid or virtually useless as a witness to the Gospel! This may sound a bit of a harsh call to you, but I still think it is true nonetheless. Let me try to explain myself.
Reflecting upon the lives of the saints made me realize that they lived radical lives. They were ordinary people like you and me, but they made choices that led to their living extraordinary lives. What made them do this? Was it fame and fortune? Was it for their own pleasure and enjoyment? Was it out of some sort of compulsion and inability to control their lives? It was their love for God that led them to do extraordinary things and to live exemplary lives. The grace of God played a major role in all of this, but only because they chose to allow themselves to be consumed by it and surrendered everything, to the best of their ability, to the will of God.
Let the lives of the saints be an example of how to live our own lives. They obeyed God’s will and never allowed themselves to get caught up in the lies and falseness of the world. What does it mean to live a fully human life? Look at the saints and there is your answer. Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
How closely does my life mirror the example of the saints? What can I do to bring it closer to this reality?

Holy Spirit, without Your help my goal is unattainable. I will never be able to achieve holiness on my own. Help me to surrender my life to the will of God like the saints who have gone before me.

St. Abraham, archbishop, pray for us.

November
Tuesday

WhAt’s IN A NAmE?

Because of this, God greatly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name. – Philippians 2:9

Thor. Mars. Poseidon. Mercury. These names remind us of thunder, war, the sea and a messenger whose feet had wings. Jordan. Jabbar. Lebron. Basketball and athleticism at its finest.
Angelina. Renee. Dayanara. Flawless beauty. Many names evoke certain images when we hear or say them. Above all these, the name of Jesus stands out. It means love, goodness, mercy and sacrifice, Messiah, God.
If you want you want to be identified with Jesus, make sure that when people say your name, it will evoke the same imagery. When they speak your name, people should think of generosity. It must bring up memories of compassion and honesty. When friends speak of prayer and God’s Word, it’s good that your name is on top of their list.
I’m sure you wouldn’t want the mere mention of your name to create tension and uneasy silence. Or be associated with gossip, slander or malicious rumors.
We live our faith and carry the name of Jesus. What we do should always be a reflection of His person. If we call ourselves Christians, we should always take care of Jesus’ name. Jun Asis

REFLECTION:
Are you living up to your name and identity as a Christian?

Dear Lord, help me turn my identity into Yours through the way I live. I ask this, my Jesus, through Your mighty Name. Amen.

-----------------------------

1st READING

Jesus is the unique and indispensable link between humanity and the Father. Without Jesus, there is no salvation. In this hymn, we celebrate the wonderful nature of the life and mission of Jesus and how He achieves the work of salvation in an extraordinary manner namely, humility and obedience to His Father’s will. The remedy for our sin is so simple that it seems anyone could have done it. The truth is, only God Himself could do it and thus we have a savior who is both fully human and fully God.

Philippians 2:5-11
5 Brothers and sisters: Have among yourselves the same attitude that is also yours in Christ Jesus, 6 Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped. 7 Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, 8 he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross. 9 Because of this, God greatly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

P S A L M

Psalm 22:26b-27, 28-30ab, 30e, 31-32
R: I will praise you, Lord, in the assembly of your people.
25 [26] I will fulfill my vows before those who fear him. 26 [27] The lowly shall eat their fill; they who seek the LORD shall praise him: “May your hearts be ever merry!” (R) 27 [28] All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD; all the families of the nations shall bow down before him. (R) 28 [29] For dominion is the LORD’s, and he rules the nations. 29 [30] To him alone shall bow down all who sleep in the earth. (R) To him my soul shall live; 30 [31] my descendants shall serve him. Let the coming generation be told of the LORD 31 [32] that they may proclaim to a people yet to be born the justice he has shown. (R)

G O S P E L

Excuses, excuses, excuses! We are all very good at making these when it comes to avoiding doing God’s will. We do not hear Jesus making any excuses on why He was not able to accomplish His Father’s will. Why? Jesus always did His Father’s will – that is why! The same is obviously not true of us. If we spent our time and energy seeking ways to do what God wants us to do with our lives, I think we will discover that we will still be able to accomplish the vast majority of our own desires, provided they are good for us, that is.

Luke 14:15-24
15 One of his fellow guests on hearing this said to him, “Blessed is the one who will dine in the kingdom of God.” 16 He replied to him, “A man gave a great dinner to which he invited many. 17 When the time for the dinner came, he dispatched his servant to say to those invited, ‘Come, everything is now ready.’ 18 But one by one, they all began to excuse themselves. The first said to him, ‘I have purchased a field and must go to examine it; I ask you, consider me excused.’ 19 And another said, ‘I have purchased five yoke of oxen and am on my way to evaluate them; I ask you, consider me excused.’ 20 And another said, ‘I have just married a woman, and therefore I cannot come.’ 21 The servant went and reported this to his master. Then the master of the house in a rage commanded his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in here the poor and the crippled, the blind and the lame.’ 22 The servant reported, ‘Sir, your orders have been carried out and still there is room.’ 23 The master then ordered the servant, ‘Go out to the highways and hedgerows and make people come in that my home may be filled. 24 For, I tell you, none of those men who were invited will taste my dinner.’ ”

my reflections
think:We are all very good at making excuses when it comes to avoiding doing God’s will.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Isaiah 53-56

--------------------

GOD’S INVITATION — ACCEPTED

Sometimes, I think Jesus could have been a Filipino for He likes fiestas, dinners and stories about meals as Filipinos do. No birthday, no baptism is celebrated without a great meal. It is at table that we come to know each other better. It is during a meal that we open up and share our thoughts, our joys and sorrows.
It was during such moments of fellowship that Jesus brought home important messages. By doing things differently He protested against order which keeps certain people out. In today’s parable, Jesus speaks about people who do not appreciate the king’s invitation. They have very good excuses to offer. Which newlywed couple would go to a dinner when there is the more important honeymoon? And who would rather have his car fixed to drive to work on Monday than to risk commuting. The would-be guest in Jesus’ parable don’t realize the honor of being invited and so don’t go to the banquet. How many Catholics go their own way rather than attend Mass in their parish every Sunday and get involved in the building of the Kingdom by joining a parish organization! The churches in the First World countries are nearly empty. But even here where the churches are still full, many do not realize the privilege of being invited to participate in building God’s Kingdom. Sometimes, I celebrate Mass at a certain convent. Rich people who live just a block away come in their luxury cars — they come last and leave early.
The poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame are finally invited and they come. Thanks to this “preferential option for the poor,” our Church is still going strong. It always lifts me up when I visit the office of Shepherd’s Voice. There I meet all these simple young and not so young people, dedicated with joy and and enthusiasm to spreading the Word of God through their publications! No excuse, even the most reasonable, is acceptable when we receive the invitation to be involved in an activity for the Lord and His Church. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:
Do I avoid invitations to work for the Kingdom of God? Where is God inviting me right now?

Father, You adopted me as Your child and want me to accept the invitation of Your Son to build up Your Kingdom. Often, I am too lazy. I easily find excuses not to get involved. Lord, wake me up and let me realize what a privilege it is to be invited by You.

St. Charles Borromeo, bishop, pray for us.

November
Tuesday

WhAt’s IN A NAmE?

Because of this, God greatly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name. – Philippians 2:9

Thor. Mars. Poseidon. Mercury. These names remind us of thunder, war, the sea and a messenger whose feet had wings. Jordan. Jabbar. Lebron. Basketball and athleticism at its finest.
Angelina. Renee. Dayanara. Flawless beauty. Many names evoke certain images when we hear or say them. Above all these, the name of Jesus stands out. It means love, goodness, mercy and sacrifice, Messiah, God.
If you want you want to be identified with Jesus, make sure that when people say your name, it will evoke the same imagery. When they speak your name, people should think of generosity. It must bring up memories of compassion and honesty. When friends speak of prayer and God’s Word, it’s good that your name is on top of their list.
I’m sure you wouldn’t want the mere mention of your name to create tension and uneasy silence. Or be associated with gossip, slander or malicious rumors.
We live our faith and carry the name of Jesus. What we do should always be a reflection of His person. If we call ourselves Christians, we should always take care of Jesus’ name. Jun Asis

REFLECTION:

Dear Lord, help me turn my identity into Yours through the way I live. I ask this, my Jesus, through Your mighty Name. Amen.

-----------------------------

1st READING

Jesus is the unique and indispensable link between humanity and the Father. Without Jesus, there is no salvation. In this hymn, we celebrate the wonderful nature of the life and mission of Jesus and how He achieves the work of salvation in an extraordinary manner namely, humility and obedience to His Father’s will. The remedy for our sin is so simple that it seems anyone could have done it. The truth is, only God Himself could do it and thus we have a savior who is both fully human and fully God.

Philippians 2:5-11
5 Brothers and sisters: Have among yourselves the same attitude that is also yours in Christ Jesus, 6 Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped. 7 Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, 8 he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross. 9 Because of this, God greatly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

P S A L M

Psalm 22:26b-27, 28-30ab, 30e, 31-32
R: I will praise you, Lord, in the assembly of your people.
25 [26] I will fulfill my vows before those who fear him. 26 [27] The lowly shall eat their fill; they who seek the LORD shall praise him: “May your hearts be ever merry!” (R) 27 [28] All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD; all the families of the nations shall bow down before him. (R) 28 [29] For dominion is the LORD’s, and he rules the nations. 29 [30] To him alone shall bow down all who sleep in the earth. (R) To him my soul shall live; 30 [31] my descendants shall serve him. Let the coming generation be told of the LORD 31 [32] that they may proclaim to a people yet to be born the justice he has shown. (R)

G O S P E L

Excuses, excuses, excuses! We are all very good at making these when it comes to avoiding doing God’s will. We do not hear Jesus making any excuses on why He was not able to accomplish His Father’s will. Why? Jesus always did His Father’s will – that is why! The same is obviously not true of us. If we spent our time and energy seeking ways to do what God wants us to do with our lives, I think we will discover that we will still be able to accomplish the vast majority of our own desires, provided they are good for us, that is.

Luke 14:15-24
15 One of his fellow guests on hearing this said to him, “Blessed is the one who will dine in the kingdom of God.” 16 He replied to him, “A man gave a great dinner to which he invited many. 17 When the time for the dinner came, he dispatched his servant to say to those invited, ‘Come, everything is now ready.’ 18 But one by one, they all began to excuse themselves. The first said to him, ‘I have purchased a field and must go to examine it; I ask you, consider me excused.’ 19 And another said, ‘I have purchased five yoke of oxen and am on my way to evaluate them; I ask you, consider me excused.’ 20 And another said, ‘I have just married a woman, and therefore I cannot come.’ 21 The servant went and reported this to his master. Then the master of the house in a rage commanded his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in here the poor and the crippled, the blind and the lame.’ 22 The servant reported, ‘Sir, your orders have been carried out and still there is room.’ 23 The master then ordered the servant, ‘Go out to the highways and hedgerows and make people come in that my home may be filled. 24 For, I tell you, none of those men who were invited will taste my dinner.’ ”

my reflections
think:We are all very good at making excuses when it comes to avoiding doing God’s will.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Isaiah 53-56

--------------------

GOD’S INVITATION — ACCEPTED

Sometimes, I think Jesus could have been a Filipino for He likes fiestas, dinners and stories about meals as Filipinos do. No birthday, no baptism is celebrated without a great meal. It is at table that we come to know each other better. It is during a meal that we open up and share our thoughts, our joys and sorrows.
It was during such moments of fellowship that Jesus brought home important messages. By doing things differently He protested against order which keeps certain people out. In today’s parable, Jesus speaks about people who do not appreciate the king’s invitation. They have very good excuses to offer. Which newlywed couple would go to a dinner when there is the more important honeymoon? And who would rather have his car fixed to drive to work on Monday than to risk commuting. The would-be guest in Jesus’ parable don’t realize the honor of being invited and so don’t go to the banquet. How many Catholics go their own way rather than attend Mass in their parish every Sunday and get involved in the building of the Kingdom by joining a parish organization! The churches in the First World countries are nearly empty. But even here where the churches are still full, many do not realize the privilege of being invited to participate in building God’s Kingdom. Sometimes, I celebrate Mass at a certain convent. Rich people who live just a block away come in their luxury cars — they come last and leave early.
The poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame are finally invited and they come. Thanks to this “preferential option for the poor,” our Church is still going strong. It always lifts me up when I visit the office of Shepherd’s Voice. There I meet all these simple young and not so young people, dedicated with joy and and enthusiasm to spreading the Word of God through their publications! No excuse, even the most reasonable, is acceptable when we receive the invitation to be involved in an activity for the Lord and His Church. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:
Do I avoid invitations to work for the Kingdom of God? Where is God inviting me right now?

Father, You adopted me as Your child and want me to accept the invitation of Your Son to build up Your Kingdom. Often, I am too lazy. I easily find excuses not to get involved. Lord, wake me up and let me realize what a privilege it is to be invited by You.

St. Charles Borromeo, bishop, pray for us.

December
Wednesday

thE ChALLENGE

“On that day you will say: This is our God; we have waited for Him to save us, we hope and rejoice in His salvation. ” – Isaiah 25:9

My mother brought me along to fetch my Dad from his Cursillo. He emerged from the balcony at the break of dawn together with other men who were either joyous or teary-eyed while a good number were unabashedly wailing for the Lord’s forgiveness. This was my first encounter with the renewal movement and I didn’t quite comprehend things then.
Then I attended the Life in the Spirit Seminar (LSS) in my late 20’s. I still saw joyous and teary-eyed people and a handful of men and women crying out loud. But this time, I understood and appreciated what was happening. It was an unforgettable weekend encounter getting reacquainted with my faith and strengthening my bond with Him. Shame on me for dodging previous invitations with all sorts of excuses.
It is unfortunate that some Catholics will remain nominal and never get the chance to witness the Lord in their lives. But to all of us who already have, our challenge is to live an obedient, upright and honest life so that through us, others — with or without an LSS — would be able to see and believe in God’s salvation.Marie Franco

REFLECTION:
Are you a true witness to others of God’s salvation?

My Lord and my Savior, thank You for dying on the cross for my sins.

1st READING

Knowing that we are in the presence of the Lord at all times is like being present at the finest feast we could imagine. When we are in the Lord’s presence, there is always an abundance of grace awaiting us. All we have to do is surrender our lives to it. The challenge we face is recognizing His presence particularly in times of struggle and trial. He is there, it is just we are having difficulty connecting with Him.

Isaiah 25:6-10a
6 On this mountain the LORD of hosts will provide for all peoples a feast of rich food and choice wines, juicy, rich food and pure, choice wines. 7 On this mountain he will destroy the veil that veils all peoples, the web that is woven over all nations; 8 he will destroy death forever. The Lord GOD will wipe away the tears from all faces; the reproach of his people he will remove from the whole earth; for the LORD has spoken. 9 On that day it will be said “Behold our God, to whom we looked to save us! This is the LORD for whom we looked; let us rejoice and be glad that he has saved us!” 10 For the hand of the LORD will rest on this mountain.

P S A L M

Psalm 23:1-3a, 3b-4, 5, 6
R: I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; 3 he refreshes my soul. (R) He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage. (R) 5 You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (R) 6 Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come. (R)

G O S P E L

It must have been a remarkable experience to be with Jesus when He healed the multitudes. Sometimes I think I get a little jealous of the disciples and those who actually met the physical Jesus. However, such a feeling quickly disappears when I tell myself that it is all there for me if only I grow in faith. I cannot travel back in time so the only hope for me to experience such an outpouring of grace is to grow closer to Jesus each day.

Matthew 15:29-37
29 At that time: Jesus walked by the Sea of Galilee, went up on the mountain, and sat down there. 30 Great crowds came to him, having with them the lame, the blind, the deformed, the mute, and many others. They placed them at his feet, and he cured them. 31 The crowds were amazed when they saw the mute speaking, the deformed made whole, the lame walking, and the blind able to see, and they glorified the God of Israel. 32 Jesus summoned his disciples and said, “My heart is moved with pity for the crowd, for they have been with me now for three days and have nothing to eat. I do not want to send them away hungry, for fear they may collapse on the way.” 33 The disciples said to him, “Where could we ever get enough bread in this deserted place to satisfy such a crowd?” 34 Jesus said to them, “How many loaves do you have?” “Seven,” they replied, “and a few fish.” 35 He ordered the crowd to sit down on the ground. 36 Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, gave thanks, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds. 37 They all ate and were satisfied. They picked up the fragments left over — seven baskets full.

my reflections
think: When we are in the Lord’s presence, there is always an abundance of grace awaiting us.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Ezekiel 33-36

Ezekiel 33-36

“KUMAIN KA NA BA?”

“Kumain ka na ba?” is a question typical in the Philippines. “Kain tayo!” replaces the “How are you?” in other languages. Our fiestas are famous for plenty of food. Not to forget the countless restaurants in our cities and the malls, always full with people enjoying their meal. And soon, as Christmas approaches, food will occupy a major part of our preparation for the feast.
But not only Filipinos think and dream of food. In today’sfirst reading, the prophet dreams here of the messianic future and describes the utopian scene of a grand banquet: “On thismountain [Zion, the symbol of the heavenly Jerusalem], the Lord of hosts will provide for all people a feast of rich food and choice wines, juicy, rich food and pure, choice wines.”
And how Jesus liked to compare the Kingdom of Heaven with a grand banquet.Not only that — today, we hear how He fed a big crowd. His heart was moved with pity. The multiplication of the loaves and the healings at the beginning of Advent make us aware once more why Jesus came into this world. He came to save us through His death and resurrection. But He came also because His “heart is moved with pity” for all humankind. He is the merciful Son of a God who is love. The passage showing Jesus healing and preaching and feeding the crowd encourages us to approach Him with all our needs, worries and sufferings, with our thirst for justice and our hunger for spiritual nourishment. Whatever we need, He can and will provide.
Advent is a time of prayerful waiting for the Lord. But waiting alone is not enough. There must be openness and trust and faith as we find it in the crowd that stayed with Jesus for three days already, as St. Mark tells us. May our physical preparations for Christmas, for parties and meals, not hinder us to open our hearts for God’s powerful work in us. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:
Am I too focused on physical nourishment, onphysical preparations for Christmas than on spiritual growth and deepening of my faith?

Lord, we thank You for giving us once more this time of prayerful waiting and reflecting on our relationship with You and with each other. Make us more open to Your messages so that our hearts will be ready for Your coming. Make us hungry for Your Word and hungry for Your spiritual nourishment that our faith will deepen and be strengthened.

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

December
Thursday

WhAt’s IN A NAmE?

We live our faith and carry the name of Jesus. What we do should always be a reflection of His person. If we call ourselves Christians, we should always take care of Jesus’ name.Jun Asis

REFLECTION:

1st READING

As we celebrate the Advent Season, we are aware of the call to a deeper repentance and surrender to God. It is only in this way we will grow in steadfastness of mind and heart, and be able to reject the temptations of the enemy that constantly assault our lives. Discipline is a key to growth in the spiritual life. We should always seek to develop good, disciplined habits of prayer and reflection.

Isaiah 26:1-6
1 On that day they will sing this song in the land of Judah: “A strong city have we; he sets up walls and ramparts to protect us. 2 Open up the gates to let in a nation that is just, one that keeps faith. 3 A nation of firm purpose you keep in peace; in peace, for its trust in you.” 4 Trust in the LORD forever! For the LORD is an eternal Rock. 5 He humbles those in high places, and the lofty city he brings down; he tumbles it to the ground, levels it with the dust. 6 It is trampled underfoot by the needy,
by the footsteps of the poor.

P S A L M

Psalm 118:1 and 8-9, 19-21, 25-27a
R: Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.
1 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his mercy endures forever. 8 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man. 9 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes. (R) 19 Open to me the gates of justice; I will enter them and give thanks to the LORD. 20 This gate is the LORD’s; the just shall enter it. 21 I will give thanks to you, for you have answered me and have been my savior. (R) 25 O LORD, grant salvation! O LORD, grant prosperity! 26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD; we bless you from the house of the LORD. 27 The LORD is God, and he has given us light. (R)

G O S P E L

Ultimately, it is the way we live our lives that will matter the most when standing before the Lord on Judgment Day. Saying the right thing is always easier than actually doing it. The true test of our holiness is not the number of prayers we pray but the relationships we have with the people us. Let us remember to treat all people with the love and respect that is their right.

Matthew 7:21, 24-27
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. 24 “Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. 25 The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock. 26 And everyone who listens to these words of mine but does not act on them will be like a fool who built his house on sand. 27 The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. And it collapsed and was completely ruined.”

my reflections
think:We should always seek to develop good, disciplined habits of prayer and reflection.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Ezekiel 37-40

“THE LORD IS AN EVERLASTING ROCK”

International terrorism, natural catastrophes, the threat of illness, of economic problems — all these and other realities can rob us of inner peace and the feeling of security. Some of us have been disappointed by people we trusted. Many of us are even disappointed by the Church. And so we ask: Where do we find strength and security in this uncertain world?
Isaiah gives us the answer to our question in today’s first reading: “The Lord is an everlasting Rock.” The Lord is the only foundation that gives us the security we long for. He is the only one who lasts forever and who never disappoints. He is the rock that strengthens our faith. Jesus elaborates on this image of the Rock when He speaks in today’s Gospel passage about the two builders. The man who builds his house on sand is the person who relies on passing things: money, fashion, people.
The message Jesus has for us is found in the man who builds his house on rock. And what is this rock? The teachings of Jesus — His word, His life, His example. But listening to the words of Jesus or reading it in the Bible is not enough — acting on His Word is equally important. As a spiritual writer put it: “An inspiration which is not converted into action is like a fetus which miscarries.”
There is another truth hidden in the words of Jesus. Faith does not protect us from trials. Each of the two houses is attacked by storms. To have one’s life built on the “everlasting Rock” is no insurance against difficulties. On the contrary, as a consequence of building one’s life solely on Christ, we often face more problems than anybody else, because we are always swimming against the current. Somewhere I once read, “Jesus came not to make life easy but to make men great.” Jesus gives us the assurance today that in the worst storms that may assail us, we will not be destroyed but remain safe. May this thought guide us safely through the hectic Christmas preparations. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:
Why do I often feel insecure? Do I act out what I read in the Bible? What can I do this Christmas season to act on Jesus’ words?

Lord, I thank You for Your honest words. How often am I tempted to think I please You by just reading the Bible and finding security in pious emotions. Your word today makes me aware that, especially in this Advent season, You want me to act on Your word and reach out in love to less fortunate brethren.

St. Ada, abbess and dedicated virgin, pray for us.

Live this second Sunday of Advent with deep trust!
Each Sunday is a Mini-Easter. Show that Jesus is alive today!

December
Sunday

FINALLY!

The Lord does not delay his promise, as some regard “delay...” – 2 Peter 3:9

Ever since I can remember, I’ve always fantasized about my Prince Charming. He’s been personified by so many different men as I grew up — from Shaun Cassidy to Parker Stevenson, from my neighbor to my carpool mate, from my preacher friends to the not-so-committed attendees in the prayer meeting.
But after 36 years, none of them turned out to be The One. Nope, not even the guys who actually made it as my boyfriends. I reached a point when I told the Lord that I was finally ready to be single for life, despite the promises of marriage I had received from God.
It was shortly after that when I met Chris. He was so unlike my “dream guy” because ever since I began serving the Lord fulltime, I always thought I’d marry a preacher like myself. Chris isn’t a Charismatic and had never attended a prayer meeting before he met me.
But in him I saw another face of God. The face of patience. Of gentleness and kindness. Of caring and concern.
Last year, we tied the knot — a fulfillment of a promise God had given me long ago. It may have seemed like I waited forever but you know what? God fulfilled His Word in good time.Rissa Singson-Kawpeng

REFLECTION:
“They that wait on the Lord shall renew their strength...” (Isaiah 40:31)

Lord, grant us patience to wait on Your will in our lives.

1st READING

This text celebrating God’s desire to bring consolation to His people is the beginning of the second section of Isaiah. We shift a gear and the prophecies of a coming new and blessed age under the Messiah become stronger and more compelling. We are privileged to live in the time following the fulfillment of these prophecies and yet they remain a source of hope for us. Why? Simply because we have yet to realize the full potential of all the blessings God has given to us.

Isaiah 40:1-5, 9-11
1 Comfort, give comfort to my people, says your God. 2 Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and proclaim to her that her service is at an end, her guilt is expiated; indeed, she has received from the hand of the LORD double for all her sins. 3 A voice cries out in the desert: Prepare the way of the LORD! Make straight in the wasteland a highway for our God! 4 Every valley shall be filled in, every mountain and hill shall be made low; the rugged land shall be made a plain, the rough country, a broad valley. 5 Then the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all mankind shall see it together; for the mouth of the LORD has spoken. 9 Go up onto a high mountain, Zion, herald of glad tidings; cry out at the top of your voice, Jerusalem, herald of good news! Fear not to cry out and say to the cities of Judah: Here is your God! 10 Here comes with power the Lord GOD, who rules by his strong arm; here is his reward with him, his recompense before him. 11 Like a shepherd he feeds his flock; in his arms he gathers the lambs, carrying them in his bosom, and leading the ewes with care.

P S A L M

Psalm 85:9-10, 11-12, 13-14
R: (8) Lord, let us see your kindness, and grant us your salvation.
8 [9] I will hear what God proclaims; the LORD-for he proclaims peace to his people. 9 [10] Near indeed is his salvation to those who fear him, glory dwelling in our land. (R) 10 [11] Kindness and truth shall meet; justice and peace shall kiss. 11 [12] Truth shall spring out of the earth, and justice shall look down from heaven. (R) 12 [13] The LORD himself will give his benefits; our land shall yield its increase. 13 [14] Justice shall walk before him, and salvation, along the way of his steps. (R)

2nd READING

To God time is meaningless as He transcends time; He is not limited as we are to a single spatio-temporal dimension. He can be and is present to all of time for all of eternity. This means that we have to learn to accept that God is not at all pressured by dates and deadlines. He knows what He will do in the future and it is as present to Him now as it will be tomorrow or was yesterday! Time does not have the same urgency with Him as it does with us!

2 Peter 3:8-14
8 Do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like one day. 9 The Lord does not delay his promise, as some regard “delay,” but he is patient with you, not wishing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. 10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a mighty roar and the elements will be dissolved by fire, and the earth and everything done on it will be found out. 11 Since everything is to be dissolved in this way, what sort of persons ought [you] to be, conducting yourselves in holiness and devotion, 12 waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved in flames and the elements melted by fire. 13 But according to his promise we await new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. 14 Therefore, beloved, since you await these things, be eager to be found without spot or blemish before him, at peace.

G O S P E L

John the Baptist was sent to prepare the way for Jesus’ ministry. Likewise, we are called to do all we can to prepare the way for the ministry and work of the Holy Spirit in the lives of those whom we know. Let us be on the lookout for any opportunity we might be able to use to open people up to the possibilities of a life of faith. This is what it mean, at least in part, to be on mission in today’s world.

Mark 1:1-8
1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ the Son of God. 2 As it is written in Isaiah the prophet: “Behold, I am sending my messenger ahead of you; he will prepare your way. 3 A voice of one crying out in the desert: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths.’ ” 4 John the Baptist appeared in the desert proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5 People of the whole Judean countryside and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem were going out to him and were being baptized by him in the Jordan River as they acknowledged their sins. 6 John was clothed in camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist. He fed on locusts and wild honey. 7 And this is what he proclaimed: “One mightier than I is coming after me. I am not worthy to stoop and loosen the thongs of his sandals. 8 I have baptized you with water; he will baptize you with
the Holy Spirit.”

my reflections
think:Let us be on the lookout for any opportunity we might be able to use to open people up to the possibilities of a life of faith.

WHO IS HE?

Who is He whose birthday we are preparing for? St. Mark gives us today a very clear answer: He is the Messiah and the Son of God. There is no sweet-baby sentimentality in Mark’s words. His statement about the identity of Jesus is rather shocking: the Messiah — the Anointed One, a word that was used for kings, priests and prophets. This infant we are waiting for is someone very special – something we often forget when we swoon over the cute baby Jesus. The Son of God! Another statement that not only shocks us but forces us down on our knees in awe.
I think it is quite helpful during this time to have a look on the two titles which Mark uses to introduce the protagonist of his book. Who is Jesus? What does it mean for us that Jesus is the Messiah, the Anointed One?
Through His suffering and death for us, He became the King of the universe. If Jesus is a King, I am His subject. I am supposed to be loyal to Him, to serve Him, to stand up for Him and to defend Him.
Jesus is a prophet. That means He tells the truth (He even IS the Truth). But the truth hurts. A prophet is not a nice person; a prophet challenges.
Jesus is a priest who offered Himself on the “altar” of the Cross for us and for our sins. He urges us to take up the cross and follow Him. That leads to the question: Are we ready to sacrifice ourselves for others? The Bible already makes us aware that as brothers and sisters of Christ, we are called to participate in the royal, the prophetic and priestly role of the Messiah. But what about the prophetic role? The Church—you and me—is supposed to be a prophetic Church, telling the truth to a world of lies and falsehood. In these days, we could exercise our prophetic role by pointing out the real meaning of Christmas, by preparing ourselves and by returning to what we are supposed to be: Christians, disciples of the Messiah, the king, priest and prophet. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:
Read the reflection once more and answer the questions asked there.

Lord, Messiah and Son of God, make me a real disciple of Yours, a person who makes You visible in the world; a disciple who takes the royal, priestly and especially prophetic role seriously. Give me the necessary courage, Lord.

St. Servus, martyr, pray for us.

Back
Top Bottom