Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

March
Friday

-------------

THE REMEDY

… neither is there any remedy for man’s dying, nor is anyone known to have come back from the nether world. – Wisdom 2:1a

He was a successful movie mogul from the 40s to the 60s. He was also a doctor by profession. So when he saw the results of
his medical tests, he said that it was as if he was reading his death sentence. Despite his wealth, his power and influence, the producer cum doctor could do nothing to prevent death from overtaking him. I can imagine that many people who are far more powerful, wealthy and influential than him would give all they had just to avoid the inevitable end. But alas, despite all the wealth invested in research and the unprecedented pace of medical and technological advances, no one has ever escaped death.
No one but Jesus.
The writer of the book of Wisdom was correct in saying that there is no remedy for death. After all, he wrote that book 100 years before Christ’s time.
But we who live Anno Domini know that the Remedy has come. All we have to do is receive Him to conquer death. Rissa Singson-Kawpeng

REFLECTION:
“O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?.” (1 Corinthians 15:55)

Jesus, You are the Resurrection and the Life!

-----------

ChoosinG the path of riGhteousness

In many different places, the Scriptures tell us that living a righteous life is not an easy task. We can be sure that there will be all sorts of powers working against us as the devil is always seeking to bring down the righteous person. He wants to discredit, not just the person, but the whole project of living righteously according to the principles of the Kingdom of God.
In the First Reading today, we listen to the scheming minds of evil people — maybe it is even the devil himself talking to his minions — making plans to attack the virtuous man. While this may only be a fictional account, it certainly reflects the reality in which we live where there is an ongoing battle in our own lives as to which path we will follow. We wage a daily battle and we need to prepare ourselves so that we will be able to fight the powers of darkness, and embrace the truth of the Gospel as good disciples of Jesus. There is nothing the devil relishes more than someone who is not prepared for the fight. We have thus been warned that we are in a fight and it is a fight for our lives unto death.
The devil will not fight fairly. He will use any and all of the underhanded tricks and methods he can think of. He will attack us when we are weakest, vulnerable, not ready to face him or when we are preoccupied with other things. He shows no mercy and is not interested in taking prisoners. It is a do or die reality when it comes to fighting the Prince of Darkness. However, by faith we know and believe that we have the victory. Jesus’ death and resurrection has given all who believe in Him the grace and strength to overcome all things in His name. Let us take hold of this truth and live it, particularly when we come under attack and temptation. This is the very reason Jesus came to the world – to end the reign of the devil with his powers of sin and death, and give us a life of grace and redemption. Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
How do I deal with temptation in my life? Do I give in and not realize I have the resources in my faith to fight the battle and win it?

Jesus, open my heart and mind to the truth of the victory You offer me through Your cross. Help me to live as Your disciple, following wherever You lead and placing my life under the grace of the Holy Spirit.

Sts. Perpetua and Felicity, martyrs, pray for us.

-----------

1st READING

Nothing good can come out of entertaining sinful thoughts. Even worse is if we go one step further and carry out our evil plans. Men who think of doing evil to righteous people will find that even their best plans will be frustrated. If they do meet with success, it’s at best limited because, ultimately, the Lord protects His own.

Wisdom 2:1a, 12-22
1 The wicked said among themselves, thinking not aright: 12 Let us beset the just one, because he is obnoxious to us; he sets himself against our doings, reproaches us for transgressions of the law and charges us with violations of our training. 13 He professes to have knowledge of God and styles himself a child of the LORD. 14 To us he is the censure of our thoughts; merely to see him is a hardship for us, 15 because his life is not like other men’s, and different are his ways. 16 He judges us debased; he holds aloof from our paths as from things impure. He calls blest the destiny of the just and boasts that God is his Father. 17 Let us see whether his words be true; let us find out what will happen to him. 18 For if the just one be the son of God, he will defend him and deliver him from the hand of his foes. 19 With revilement and torture let us put him to the test that we may have proof of his gentleness and try his patience. 20 Let us condemn him to a shameful death; for according to his own words, God will take care of him.” 21 These were their thoughts, but they erred; for their wickedness blinded them, 22 and they knew not the hidden counsels of God; neither did they count on a recompense of holiness nor discern the innocent souls’ reward.

P S A L M

Psalm 34: 17-18, 19-20, 21 and 23
R: The Lord is close to the brokenhearted.
16 [17] The LORD confronts the evildoers, to destroy remembrance of them from the earth. 17 [18] When the just cry out, the LORD hears them, and from all their distress he rescues them. (R) 18 [19] The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; and those who are crushed in spirit he saves. 19 [20] Many are the troubles of the just man, but out of them all the LORD delivers him. (R) 20 [21] He watches over all his bones; not one of them shall be broken. 22 [23] The LORD redeems the lives of his servants; no one incurs guilt who takes refuge in him. (R)

G O S P E L

The Jews do not want to allow the ministry of Jesus to continue. They see it as subversive to their own understanding of the faith of their ancestors. This is very unfortunate as it means that most of the leaders of the Jews do not accept the Gospel and thus will influence their flocks along the same path. This is why a leader has a far greater responsibility to ensure that he knows the truth of a matter before presenting it to others.

John 7:1-2, 10, 25-30
1 Jesus moved about within Galilee; but he did not wish to travel in Judea, because the Jews were trying to kill him. 2 But the Jewish feast of Tabernacles was near. 10 But when his brothers had gone up to the feast, he himself also went up, not openly but as it were in secret. 25 Some of the inhabitants of Jerusalem said, “Is he not the one they are trying to kill? 26 And look, he is speaking openly and they say nothing to him. Could the authorities have realized that he is the Messiah? 27 But we know where he is from. When the Messiah comes, no one will know where he is from.” 28 So Jesus cried out in the temple area as he was teaching and said, “You know me and also know where I am from. Yet I did not come on my own, but the one who sent me, whom you do not know, is true. 29 I know him, because I am from him, and he sent me.” 30 So they tried to arrest him, but no one laid a hand upon him, because his hour had not yet come.

my reflections
think:A leader has a far greater responsibility to ensure that he knows the truth of a matter before presenting it to others.

God’s special verse/thought for me today________________

T O D A Y ’ S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: ____________________________________

March
Wednesday
-------------------

MAkE ROOM

“But you are trying to kill me, because my word has no room among you.” – John 8:37

There are a lot of ways by which we can rediscover and cherish God’s Word. Here are some suggestions:
1. Have a Bible (and/or a Companion) just beside your pillow, and read at least the daily Mass readings. Let God’s Word be the last thing on your mind and the first thing you take in every day.
2. Listen to praise and worship songs. Their lyrics are God’s Word!
3. Have a “handy verse” for the day. It could be written on a piece of paper, tucked in your wallet or stored in your cell phone so you have something to read and meditate on throughout the day.
4. Memorize and apply at least one verse a week. Apply it to your day-to-day living.
5. Love God’s Word in the Mass! My husband and I have made it a habit to close our eyes when listening to the readings. It makes us focus more on the message and allows our hearts to listen more to what God has to say.
6. Use God’s Word in prayer. The Psalms are a good place to start. Pray back His promises and claim His perfect answers!
7. Don’t stop! Think of new ways to love Him in His Word.
Let’s make room! Lallaine Gogna

REFLECTION:
How much of God’s Word do you have in your life?

I pray for the grace to know You more, Lord. Grant me an unquenchable thirst for Your Word.

---------------

MaKe truth the foundation of your life

In today’s world, lawmakers seem unable to fully respect the dignity of the human person in legislature that is enacted and laws that are passed. I believe it all comes down to whether or not we are willing as individuals first and then as a community, to respect the foundational nature of the truth of the human person in all that we do. This means accepting the fact that truth is absolute. For truth to be truth it must be so for all people of all time or else all we have to live by is some sort of relativistic doctrine or philosophy that depends upon the willingness of the individual to accept or reject it.
Abiding by the truth is never easy because at times, it makes overwhelming demands on us. What sense is there to speak about moral laws and obligations if they are not the same for all people? Just because something is difficult or challenging does not mean we have the right to dismiss or ignore it. Jesus tells us in today’s Gospel that the truth will set us free. We need to pray for the grace to not just believe this promise, but to act upon it no matter what the personal cost may be.
Pope John Paul II often warned the world that it was embracing a culture of death rather than a culture of life, and Pope Benedict XVI has often echoed his sentiments. What is he saying? He is referring to the fact that we either put in place laws that will fully protect the gift of life, from conception to death, or we will pay the consequences of opening our society to the power of death through a diminished understanding of the dignity of the human person. This is not merely a threat; it is an ongoing reality in our world today reflected in a culture of violence and rebellion, drugs, pleasure seeking to the point of the destruction of our lives and relationships and much more.
The challenge we face today is to become witnesses to the beauty and wonder of life in all its mystery and to live this truth in such a way that human dignity is fostered and never diminished. Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
In what ways can I be a better witness to the dignity of the human person in my life?

Lord Jesus, You divinized humanity by taking human form in the Incarnation. Help us to realize the fullness of our human dignity and to live in its truth every day of our lives.

St. Fina, virgin, pray for us.

-----------------

1st READING

What saved Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego from the fire? It is that they are men who will not let the truth about God be trampled on by the so-called power of a pagan king. Truth is more important than their lives given in sin. Think about what I just said because this also applies to us today as it did to these three men 2,500 years ago. Truth is never something we can afford to ignore as only the truth has the power to set us free. Sin enslaves us precisely because we are giving in to the father of lies when we commit it.

Daniel 3:14-20, 91-92, 95
14 King Nebuchadnezzar questioned them: “Is it true, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, that you will not serve my god, or worship the golden statue that I set up? 15 Be ready now to fall down and worship the statue I had made, whenever you hear the sound of the trumpet, flute, lyre, harp, psaltery, bagpipe, and all the other musical instruments; otherwise, you shall be instantly cast into the white-hot furnace; and who is the God that can deliver you out of my hands?” 16 Shadrach, Meshach,and Abednego answered King Nebuchadnezzar, “There is no need for us to defend ourselves before you in this matter. 17 If our God, whom we serve, can save us from the white-hot furnace and from your hands, O king, may he save us! 18 But even if he will not, know, O king, that we will not serve your god or worship the golden statue which you set up.” 19 Nebuchadnezzar’s face became livid with utter rage against Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. He ordered the furnace to be heated seven times more than usual 20 and had some of the strongest men in his army bind Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and cast them into the white-hot furnace. 24 [91] King Nebuchadnezzar rose in haste and asked his nobles, “Did we not cast three men bound into the fire?” “Assuredly, O king,” they answered. 25 [92] “But,” he replied, “I see four men unfettered and unhurt, walking in the fire, and the fourth looks like a son of God.” 28 [95] Nebuchadnezzar exclaimed, “Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who sent his angel to deliver the servants that trusted in him; they disobeyed the royal command and yielded their bodies rather than serve or worship any god except their own God.”

P S A L M

Daniel 3:52, 53, 54, 55, 56
R: Glory and praise for ever!
29 [Dan 3:52] “Blessed are you, O Lord, the God of our fathers, praiseworthy and exalted above all forever; and blessed is your holy and glorious name, praiseworthy and exalted above all for all ages.” (R) 30 [Dan 3:53] “Blessed are you in the temple of your holy glory, praiseworthy and glorious above all forever.” (R) 31 [Dan 3:54] “Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom, praiseworthy and exalted above all forever.” (R) 32 [Dan 3:55] “Blessed are you who look into the depths from your throne upon the cherubim, praiseworthy and exalted above all forever.” (R) 33 [Dan 3:56] “Blessed are you in the firmament of heaven, praiseworthy and glorious forever.” (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus specifically tells us that it is the truth that has the power to set us free. God’s love for us is the most powerful truth of all. Why do we spend so much time running away from that love? What is wrong with us? Have we lost our minds? I am sure many other similar questions pass through God’s consciousness many times every day as He watches over us from on high. It is up to us to choose the truth for our lives, that is, choose the way of the love of God.
John 8:31-42
31 Jesus then said to those Jews who believed in him, “If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 33 They answered him, “We are descendants of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How can you say, ‘You will become free’?” 34 Jesus answered them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 A slave does not remain in a household forever, but a son always remains. 36 So if a son frees you, then you will truly be free. 37 I know that you are descendants of Abraham. But you are trying to kill me, because my word has no room among you. 38 I tell you what I have seen in the Father’s presence; then do what you have heard from the Father.” 39 They answered and said to him, “Our father is Abraham.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would be doing the works of Abraham. 40 But now you are trying to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God; Abraham did not do this. 41 You are doing the works of your father!” So they said to him, “We are not illegitimate. We have one Father, God.” 42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and am here; I did not come on my own, but he sent me.”

my reflections
think: God’s love for us is the most powerful truth of all. Why do we spend so much time running away from that love?

SAGETTING TO KNOW THE SAINTS

Saint franciS De SaLeS

Saint Francis De Sales, also known as the Gentle Christ of Geneva, was born on 1567 at Chateau of Thorens, Savoy. He belonged to a wealthy family. His parents wanted him to become a lawyer, intending that he enters politics and carries on the family line and power. Thus, Francis was educated at La Roche, Annecy, Clermont College in Paris then at the University of Padua for his degree in Law. He completed a doctorate in Law ; after which, he returned home to find a position as Senate Advocate.

At this point, Francis received a message, telling him to “Leave all and follow Me.” The man took this as a call to priesthood. But his family did not approve of his decision. Francis still devoted a prayerful life and with the help of the bishop of Geneva, his family was finally convinced.

Francis entered the seminary and was ordained a priest in 1593. After a year, the priest accepted a dangerous mission of becoming provost of the diocese of Geneva, Switzerland, a stronghold of Calvinists. He was a preacher, a writer and a spiritual director, inviting people to return to the Roman Catholic Church.

Francis became bishop of Geneva in 1602. He worked with a wealthy young widow Jeanne de Chantal in the foundation of the Order of the Visitation.

Saint Francis De Sales died on December 28, 1622 at Lyons and in 1923, Pope Pius XI named him the patron saint of writers.

www.catholic-forum.com

ELLSBERG, Robert. All Saints : Daily Reflections on Saints, Prophets, and Witnesses for Our Time. Quezon City : Claretian Publications. 2001. pp. 43-45.

Saint Felician oF Foligno

Saint Felician was born in A.D. 159 at Foligno, Italy. He was a student of Pope Saint Eleutherius. When he was consecrated Bishop of Foligno by Pope Saint Victor I in 204, Feliciano was given the pallium (initially reserved for the pope). He was the first recorded bishop to have received the pallium.

He was arrested during the persecution of Christians during the reign of Decius. Because of his refusal to sacrifice to the pagan gods, he was tortured and scourged. Saint Felician died at the age of 94 on the way to Rome for his execution.

www.saintpatrickdc.org

Saint ananiaS of DamaScuS

Saint Ananias was a Christian in Damascus during the first century. He received a vision of Christ. He was commanded to find Saul (Paul the Apostle) in the city. Saul was found blind and staggering after his encounter with Jesus on the road. Ananias healed the man from his blindness, baptized him in faith, and supported him in the preparation of his missionary work.

Ananias served as an evangelist before his martyrdom in Eleutheropolis.

www.catholic-forum.com

Dear friends

Join Jesus This Holy Thursday. Today is Holy Thursday. May you learn from Jesus and wash the "feet of your friends" each day of your life through service and love.
This Thursday, remember that He knows you and loves you.

Praying for you,
kerstinne25

March
Thursday

HOLY THURSDAY

TRAgEDY OR bLESSiNg?

“What I am doing, you do not understand now, but you will understand later.” – John 13:7

After many years, the Clark family of Scotland had saved enough money to go to the United States. They already had their passports and gotten reservations on a new liner. It was a dream come true for them.
Seven days before their departure, a dog bit the youngest son. Because of the possibility of rabies, they were quarantined for 14 days. The father was so disappointed and angered by the turn of events that he cursed both his son and God.
Five days after the ship left port, they received tragic news. The Titanic — the ship they were supposed to board — had sunk.
At one time or another, we’ve experienced setbacks in life. There were times that we had it all planned and then the unexpected happens. Our world crumbles. We feel depressed, angry and disappointed. Sometimes, we even blame God for our seeming misfortune.
We may not always understand the Lord’s wisdom behind every event but all things happen for a reason. Who knows? What we may consider as tragedy may turn out to be a blessing after all. Judith Concepcion

REFLECTION:
“We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28)

When things don’t seem to go my way, help me to trust in You, for You know best.
--------------

one Man’s death

Today we remember the death on a cross of the Son of God, the Word made flesh. Today, we celebrate His death because it signifies and is the basis of the forgiveness of our sins. Without the event on Calvary nearly 2,000 years ago, sin and death would still reign supreme in our world, unchecked by the forgiveness of God as manifested in the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross.
As we gaze upon the crucifix in today’s ceremonies, let us ask ourselves what it means for us. How is my life changed by what Jesus did, and what He continues to do in my life as He offers me the gift of salvation? What is my response to Jesus’ offer of forgiveness for my sins as He hangs on the cross to pay for the price of my disobedience? What am I doing in my life to help share this truth with others? This may sound like a lot of very heavy questions for one day. It will be “par for the course” so to speak, if we regularly reflect upon these questions. Many Christians today leave their Christianity —their living of their faith — to specific times and places. This is wrong. Our faith must permeate our lives in every aspect and at all times. Our lives ought to be a reflection upon questions that have eternal significance far more than they are a living out of those things that are passing away. It is a matter of priorities and we will not get the priorities right unless we reflect often and seriously upon the questions that matter.
The Church’s liturgical calendar highlights various moments of Jesus’ life to remind us to reflect upon certain truths. God invites us to enter more deeply into the mystery of life with Him. Will we accept the invitation, or will we remain at a distance from the one who offers us the gift of salvation?
This Good Friday, let us spend some time reflecting in silence upon the events that mark the coming of our salvation into our lives and the world. Let us give thanks to God for this gift of His love and resolve to live the fruits of this gift all the days of our lives. Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
Does my life reflect eternal realities or am I living for things that are passing?

Dear Jesus, I silence myself today. May I hear Your shout of love through the life that You offer for me.

St. Nicholas vin Flue, hermit, pray for us.
-----------

1st READING

The First Passover must have been an absolutely amazing experience. The people fled from their Egyptian captors into the night not knowing where they were going or how long it would take to get there. It was truly an act of faith – a faith that would be sorely tried and tested in the years of journey ahead of them. Yet, the most remarkable aspect of it all to me was they were willing to take the first step out of slavery and into freedom.

Exodus 12:1-8, 11-14
1 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, 2 “This month shall stand at the head of your calendar; you shall reckon it the first month of the year. 3 Tell the whole community of Israel: On the tenth of this month every one of your families must procure for itself a lamb, one apiece for each household. 4 If a family is too small for a whole lamb, it shall join the nearest household in procuring one and shall share in the lamb in proportion to the number of persons who partake of it. 5 The lamb must be a year-old male and without blemish. You may take it from either the sheep or the goats. 6 You shall keep it until the fourteenth day of this month, and then, with the whole assembly of Israel present, it shall be slaughtered during the evening twilight. 7 They shall take some of its blood and apply it to the two doorposts and the lintel of every house in which they partake of the lamb. 8 That same night they shall eat its roasted flesh with unleavened bread and bitter herbs. 11 “This is how you are to eat it with your loins girt, sandals on your feet and your staff in hand, you shall eat like those who are in flight. It is the Passover of the LORD. 12 For on this same night I will go through Egypt, striking down every first-born of the land, both man and beast, and executing judgment on all the gods of Egypt — I, the LORD! 13 But the blood will mark the houses where you are. Seeing the blood, I will pass over you; thus, when I strike the land of Egypt, no destructive blow will come upon you. 14 “This day shall be a memorial feast for you, which all your generations shall celebrate with pilgrimage to the LORD, as a perpetual institution.”

P S A L M

Psalm 116:12-13, 15-16bc, 17-18
R: Our blessing-cup is a communion with the Blood of Christ.
12 How shall I make a return to the LORD for all the good he has done for me? 13 The cup of salvation I will take up, and I will call upon the name of the LORD. (R) 15 Precious in the eyes of the LORD is the death of his faithful ones. 16 I am your servant, the son of your handmaid; you have loosed my bonds. (R) 17 To you will I offer sacrifice of thanksgiving, and I will call upon the name of the LORD. 18 My vows to the LORD I will pay in the presence of all his people. (R)

2nd READING

Christians are constantly called to a similar act of trust and belief every time we celebrate the Eucharist. Here we are taught that the bread and the wine become the Body and Blood of Jesus. This is not easy to believe. This is one of the foundations of our Catholic faith. It is the source of our freedom as the children of God in that it celebrates
the sacrificial act of Jesus that forgives our sins.

1 Corinthians 11:23-26
23 I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread, 24 and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, “This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.

G O S P E L

One of Jesus’ last communal acts on earth before His death was to wash the feet of His disciples. Think about its significance to us about Jesus’ relationship to us. Think about what this says to us of how we should see our lives in relation to those around us. Think about the depth of the level of response this calls forth in our lives of faith.

John 13:1-15
1 Before the feast of Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to pass from this world to the Father. He loved his own in the world and he loved them to the end. 2 The devil had already induced Judas, son of Simon the Iscariot, to hand him over. So, during supper, 3 fully aware that the Father had put everything into his power and that he had come from God and was returning to God, 4 he rose from supper and took off his outer garments. He took a towel and tied it around his waist. 5 Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and dry them with the towel around his waist. 6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Master, are you going to wash my feet?” 7 Jesus answered and said to him, “What I am doing, you do not understand now, but you will understand later.” 8 Peter said to him, “You will never wash my feet.” Jesus answered him, “Unless I wash you, you will have no inheritance with me.” 9 Simon Peter said to him, “Master, then not only my feet, but my hands and head as well.” 10 Jesus said to him, “Whoever has bathed has no need except to have his feet washed, for he is clean all over; so you are clean, but not all.” 11 For he knew who would betray him; for this reason, he said, “Not all of you are clean.” 12 So when he had washed their feet [and] put his garments back on and reclined at table again, he said to them, “Do you realize what I have done for you? 13 You call me ‘teacher’ and ‘master,’ and rightly so, for indeed I am. 14 If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do.

my reflections
think:One of Jesus’ last communal acts on earth before His death was to wash the feet of His disciples. Think about its significance of to us. God’s special verse/thought for me today

SAGETTING TO KNOW THE SAINTS

TO KNOW THE SAINTS
Saint Patrick

Saint Patrick, Apostle of Ireland, was born in 387 A.D. at Kilpatrick, Scotland. The young Patrick was captured in a raiding party and was taken to Ireland as a slave where the boy herded and tended sheep. In Ireland, Patrick grew close to God.

His captivity lasted for six years. In a dream, God spoke to Patrick, ordering him to leave the country by going to the coast.

There he found sailors who brought him back to Britain where he was reunited with his family. Patrick entered the seminary. He was ordained priest by St. Germanus, then become a bishop years after. He was assigned to take the Gospel to Ireland in 433. For 40 years, he converted hundreds and thousands of Irish to Catholicism.

One legend even says that Dichu, a chieftain of one of the tribes, was converted to the Catholic faith. In his attempt to kill Patrick, the chieftain was not able to move his arm until he became friendly to the latter.

Patrick and his disciples continued to preach and baptize people. They built churches throughout the country, performed miracles, and pronounced God’s love and mercy in confession.

After years of travelling, living in poverty and enduring much suffering, St. Patrick died on March 17, 461 in Downpatrick, Ireland.

www.catholic.org
Saint cyriL of JeruSaLem

Saint Cyril, born around 315 A.D. in Jerusalem, was ordained priest then bishop in 349. Not long after, he was in several controversies, which he inherited from his predecessor. One accusation was that the bishop sold church properties to the emperor to give alms to the poor. Thus, Cyril was condemned and thrown into exile. Sixteen years after, he returned, only to be caught in between proponents and opponents of Arianism. Cyril died in 386 at the age of 70.

In 1882, Cyril was proclaimed a Doctor of the Church because of his surviving work, The Catechetical Lectures.

Ellsberg, Robert. All Saints : Daily Reflections on Saints, Prophets, and Witnesses for Our Time. Quezon City : Claretian Publications. 2001. pp. 123-124.

Saint SeraPion the SchoLaStic

Saint Serapion the Scholastic of the fourth century was a disciple of Saint Anthony and a friend of Saint Athanasius. He served as a monk, heading a catechetical school in Alexandria. In 339, he was Bishop of Thmuis. He fought Arianism and Macedonianism, thus, he was banished by Emperor Constantius II. Saint Jerome gave him the title “Confessor of the Faith.”

Among Serapion’s works were several learned letters, a treatise on the titles of the Psalms, and the sacramentary Euchologium (collection of liturgical prayers). He also wrote against Manichaeism, supporting the principle that man
has the choice to choose whether to use his body for good or evil. This meant it was a lie to think that “our souls are of God, our bodies of the devil.”

Serapion the Scholastic died of natural cause between 365 – 370 during his exile in Egypt.

www.catholic-forum.com

Open Your Heart This Good Friday. This Good Friday, accept His love for you in a fresh way. Ask Him, "Lord, I receive Your embrace."
May you be guided by His directions this Friday!

March
Friday

gOOD FRiDAY

He said, “It is finished”; and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. – John 19:30

Ever wondered why the memory of the death of Christ is called Good Friday? How can His death be so good?
Two years ago, Mommy died after a surgery at the Philippine General Hospital. I missed her so much and only found solace in the thought that she is happier in heaven. How good it would be if she were still around. Good for me, that is.
But at 86 years old, surely she must have been tired. After having served us for so many years, she died in a state of grace at a ripe old age and her spirit expired silently. Now she can enjoy the presence of the Lord. I can imagine Jesus heaving a sigh of relief in His words, “It is finished!” His suffering has ended. His mission is accomplished. He can be with His Father in glory.
Today, as I recall the passion and death of Jesus, I also celebrate deep in my heart His victory over death. And yes, I do feel it is a good Friday after all. Cristy Galang

REFLECTION:
Let’s meditate not only in the passion and death of Jesus, but also on the victorious mission He has accomplished.

My Jesus, please help me to see the meaning behind Your passion and death and allow it to be fulfilled in me. Amen.

a life offered in serviCe

Today’s liturgy, among many other things, celebrates two very important aspects of the Christian life. We remember the institution of the Eucharist and we do this in the context of recognizing that Jesus came to offer His life in the service of all. It is essential that we realize that these two aspects of today’s celebration are inseparable.
Jesus instituted the Eucharist as the ongoing means for the celebration and making present to the lives of all His disciples the gift of salvation He offers to all. The Eucharist is thus the source of all we do as Christians and the goal to which we aspire, in the sense that Jesus’ example of self-giving will become the pattern of our own lives given in the service of the Church and one another. The Eucharist is not just a celebration of salvation, but also the call to unite ourselves to the offering of Jesus, and thus becomes the means by which the gift of salvation is brought into the lives of those who have not yet met Jesus.
This is why it is important for us to appropriate Jesus’ example of service as celebrated in the ritual of the washing of the feet in today’s evening liturgy. It is not enough for us to simply remember these events as a part of Jesus’ life and witness to us. We must take them to ourselves and make them our own in the way we live in His service and the service of the Church. Only then will we, as individuals and the Church as the Body of Christ, truly become the witnesses we need to be in order to transform the world.
Jesus did not come to seek any glory for Himself. He obeyed His Father ’s will in order to save us from our sins. He is an example to us of selfless service and love – an example we should seek to emulate in all that we do. The world would be a vastly different place if we all followed the example of Jesus and sought to serve others rather than be served ourselves. Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
How can I make the world a better place in which to live? What gifts and resources do I have to offer others and how can I be faithful to this aspect of my call?

Father, You generously gave us Your Son, Jesus, to be our Savior. Help me to follow His example of selfless service and so be an instrument of change for the betterment of the world.

Blessed John of Parma, pray for us.

1st READING

Isaiah presents to us the horror of suffering. It is something that is close to our lives if we care to open ourselves up to the plight of the poor in our midst. Yes, there is deep physical suffering somewhere close by. What is your response to the call to unite yourself with those who suffer? How can you play even a small part in helping to alleviate some of the suffering in the world today?

Isaiah 52:13-53:12
13 See, my servant shall prosper, he shall be raised high and greatly exalted. 14 Even as many were amazed at him — so marred was his look beyond that of man, and his appearance beyond that of mortals — 15 so shall he startle many nations, because of him kings shall stand speechless; for those who have not been told shall see, those who have not heard shall ponder it. 53: 1 Who would believe what we have heard? To whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed? 2 He grew up like a sapling before him, like a shoot from the parched earth; there was in him no stately bearing to make us look at him, nor appearance that would attract us to him. 3 He was spurned and avoided by men, a man of suffering, accustomed to infirmity, one of those from whom men hide their faces, spurned, and we held him in no esteem. 4 Yet it was our infirmities that he bore, our sufferings that he endured, while we thought of him as stricken, as one smitten by God and afflicted. 5 But he was pierced for our offenses, crushed for our sins, upon him was the chastisement that makes us whole, by his stripes we were healed. 6 We had all gone astray like sheep, each following his own way; but the LORD laid upon him the guilt of us all. 7 Though he was harshly treated, he submitted and opened not his mouth; like a lamb led to the slaughter or a sheep before the shearers, he was silent and opened not his mouth. 8 Oppressed and condemned, he was taken away, and who would have thought any more of his destiny? When he was cut off from the land of the living, and smitten for the sin of his people, 9 a grave was assigned him among the wicked and a burial place with evildoers, though he had done no wrong nor spoken any falsehood. 10 [But the LORD was pleased to crush him in infirmity.] If he gives his life as an offering for sin, he shall see his descendants in a long life, and the will of the LORD shall be accomplished through him. 11 Because of his affliction he shall see the light in fullness of days; through his suffering, my servant shall justify many, and their guilt he shall bear. 12 Therefore I will give him his portion among the great, and he shall divide the spoils with the mighty, because he surrendered himself to death and was counted among the wicked; and he shall take away the sins of many, and win pardon for their offenses.

P S A L M

Psalm 31:2 and 6, 12-13, 15-16, 17 and 25
R: Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.
1 [2] In you, O LORD, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame. In your justice rescue me. 5 [6] Into your hands I commend my spirit; you will redeem me, O LORD, O faithful God. (R) 11 [12] For all my foes I am an object of reproach, a laughingstock to my neighbors, and a dread to my friends; they who see me abroad flee from me. 12 [13] I am forgotten like the unremembered dead; I am like a dish that is broken. (R) 14 [15] But my trust is in you, O LORD; I say, “You are my God.” 15 [16] In your hands is my destiny; rescue me from the clutches of my enemies and my persecutors. (R) 16 [17] Let your face shine upon your servant; save me in your kindness. 24 [25] Take courage and be stouthearted, all you who hope in the LORD. (R)

2nd READING

I always find it amazing that God would allow His Son Jesus to suffer such a horrible death. Surely there was another way we could have been saved? Even if this is the case, God chose to do it the way it was done. This means that we have to reflect upon the reality of the suffering of the Son of God and ask ourselves, “Why?” We have to confront the horror that it is for our sins He suffered and thus respond to the depth of love that would lead to such a sacrifice.

Hebrews 4:14-16; 5:7-9
14 Since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has similarly been tested in every way, yet without sin. 16 So let us confidently approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and to find grace for timely help. 5: 7 In the days when he was in the flesh, he offered prayers and supplications with loud cries and tears to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. 8 Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered; 9 and when he was made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him.

G O S P E L

John’s account of the Passion, while similar to the synoptic accounts invites us to reflect upon some different aspects of Jesus’ death. One is the conversation between Jesus, John and Mary at the foot of the cross. Even when He is in great pain, Jesus remembers His duty to His mother and commends her to John’s care. It is essential that we never allow our personal circumstances, no matter how dire they may be, to distract us from our fundamental duties as persons.

John 18:1-19:42
1 Jesus went out with his disciples across the Kidron valley to where there was a garden, into which he and his disciples entered. 2 Judas his betrayer also knew the place, because Jesus had often met there with his disciples. 3 So Judas got a band of soldiers and guards from the chief priests and the Pharisees and went there with lanterns, torches, and weapons. 4 Jesus, knowing everything that was going to happen to him, went out and said to them, “Whom are you looking for?” 5 They answered him, “Jesus the Nazorean.” He said to them, “I AM.” Judas his betrayer was also with them. 6 When he said to them, “I AM,” they turned away and fell to the ground. 7 So he again asked them, “Whom are you looking for?” They said, “Jesus the Nazorean.” 8 Jesus answered, “I told you that I AM. So if you are looking for me, let these men go.” 9 This was to fulfill what he had said, “I have not lost any of those you gave me.” 10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it, struck the high priest’s slave, and cut off his right ear. The slave’s name was Malchus. 11 Jesus said to Peter, “Put your sword into its scabbard. Shall I not drink the cup that the Father gave me?” 12 So the band of soldiers, the tribune, and the Jewish guards seized Jesus, bound him, 13 and brought him to Annas first. He was the father-in-law of Caiaphas, who was high priest that year. 14 It was Caiaphas who had counseled the Jews that it was better that one man should die rather than the people. 15 Simon Peter and another disciple followed Jesus. Now the other disciple was known to the high priest, and he entered the courtyard of the high priest with Jesus. 16 But Peter stood at the gate outside. So the other disciple, the acquaintance of the high priest, went out and spoke to the gatekeeper and brought Peter in. 17 Then the maid who was the gatekeeper said to Peter, “You are not one of this man’s disciples, are you?” He said, “I am not.” 18 Now the slaves and the guards were standing around a charcoal fire that they had made, because it was cold, and were warming themselves. Peter was also standing there keeping warm. 19 The high priest questioned Jesus about his disciples and about his doctrine. 20 Jesus answered him, “I have spoken publicly to the world. I have always taught in a synagogue or in the temple area where all the Jews gather, and in secret I have said nothing. 21 Why ask me? Ask those who heard me what I said to them. They know what I said.” 22 When he had said this, one of the temple guards standing there struck Jesus and said, “Is this the way you answer the high priest?” 23 Jesus answered him, “If I have spoken wrongly, testify to the wrong; but if I have spoken rightly, why do you strike me?” 24 Then Annas sent him bound to Caiaphas the high priest. 25 Now Simon Peter was standing there keeping warm. And they said to him, “You are not one of his disciples, are you?” He denied it and said, “I am not.” 26 One of the slaves of the high priest, a relative of the one whose ear Peter had cut off, said, “Didn’t I see you in the garden with him?” 27 Again Peter denied it. And immediately the cock crowed. 28 Then they brought Jesus from Caiaphas to the praetorium. It was morning. And they themselves did not enter the praetorium, in order not to be defiled so that they could eat the Passover. 29 So Pilate came out to them and said, “What charge do you bring [against] this man?” 30 They answered and said to him, “If he were not a criminal, we would not have handed him over to you.” 31 At this, Pilate said to them, “Take him yourselves, and judge him according to your law.” The Jews answered him, “We do not have the right to execute anyone,” 32 in order that the word of Jesus might be fulfilled that he said indicating the kind of death he would die. 33 So Pilate went back into the praetorium and summoned Jesus and said to him, “Are you the King of the Jews?” 34 Jesus answered, “Do you say this on your own or have others told you about me?” 35 Pilate answered, “I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests handed you over to me. What have you done?” 36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom does not belong to this world. If my kingdom did belong to this world, my attendants [would] be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not here.” 37 So Pilate said to him, “Then you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say I am a king. For this I was born and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.” 38 Pilate said to him, “What is truth?” When he had said this, he again went out to the Jews and said to them, “I find no guilt in him. 39 But you have a custom that I release one prisoner to you at Passover. Do you want me to release to you the King of the Jews?” 40 They cried out again, “Not this one but Barabbas!” Now Barabbas was a revolutionary. 19: 1 Then Pilate took Jesus and had him scourged. 2 And the soldiers wove a crown out of thorns and placed it on his head, and clothed him in a purple cloak, 3 and they came to him and said, “Hail, King of the Jews!” And they struck him repeatedly. 4 Once more Pilate went out and said to them, “Look, I am bringing him out to you, so that you may know that I find no guilt in him.” 5 So Jesus came out, wearing the crown of thorns and the purple cloak. And he said to them, “Behold, the man!” 6 When the chief priests and the guards saw him they cried out, “Crucify him, crucify him!” Pilate said to them, “Take him yourselves and crucify him. I find no guilt in him.” 7 The Jews answered, “We have a law, and according to that law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God.” 8 Now when Pilate heard this statement, he became even more afraid, 9 and went back into the praetorium and said to Jesus, “Where are you from?” Jesus did not answer him. 10 So Pilate said to him, “Do you not speak to me? Do you not know that I have power to release you and I have power to crucify you?” 11 Jesus answered [him], “You would have no power over me if it had not been given to you from above. For this reason the one who handed me over to you has the greater sin.” 12 Consequently, Pilate tried to release him; but the Jews cried out, “If you release him, you are not a Friend of Caesar. Everyone who makes himself a king opposes Caesar.” 13 When Pilate heard these words he brought Jesus out and seated him on the judge’s bench in the place called Stone Pavement, in Hebrew, Gabbatha. 14 It was preparation day for Passover, and it was about noon. And he said to the Jews, “Behold, your king!” 15 They cried out, “Take him away, take him away! Crucify him!” Pilate said to them, “Shall I crucify your king?” The chief priests answered, “We have no king but Caesar.” 16 Then he handed him over to them to be crucified. So they took Jesus, 17 and carrying the cross himself he went out to what is called the Place of the Skull, in Hebrew, Golgotha. 18 There they crucified him, and with him two others, one on either side, with Jesus in the middle. 19 Pilate also had an inscription written and put on the cross. It read, “Jesus the Nazorean, the King of the Jews.” 20 Now many of the Jews read this inscription, because the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, Latin, and Greek. 21 So the chief priests of the Jews said to Pilate, “Do not write ‘The King of the Jews,’ but that he said, ‘I am the King of the Jews.’” 22 Pilate answered, “What I have written, I have written.” 23 When the soldiers had crucified Jesus, they took his clothes and divided them into four shares, a share for each soldier. They also took his tunic, but the tunic was seamless, woven in one piece from the top down. 24 So they said to one another, “Let’s not tear it, but cast lots for it to see whose it will be,” in order that the passage of scripture might be fulfilled [that says]: “They divided my garments among them, and for my vesture they cast lots.” This is what the soldiers did. 25 Standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Cleopas, and Mary of Magdala. 26 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple there whom he loved, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son.” 27 Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his home. 28 After this, aware that everything was now finished, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I thirst.” 29 There was a vessel filled with common wine. So they put a sponge soaked in wine on a sprig of hyssop and put it up to his mouth. 30 When Jesus had taken the wine, he said, “It is finished.” And bowing his head, he handed over the spirit. 31 Now since it was preparation day, in order that the bodies might not remain on the cross on the sabbath, for the sabbath day of that week was a solemn one, the Jews asked Pilate that their legs be broken and they be taken down. 32 So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first and then of the other one who was crucified with Jesus. 33 But when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs, 34 but one soldier thrust his lance into his side, and immediately blood and water flowed out. 35 An eyewitness has testified, and his testimony is true; he knows that he is speaking the truth, so that you also may [come to] believe. 36 For this happened so that the scripture passage might be fulfilled: “Not a bone of it will be broken.” 37 And again another passage says: “They will look upon him whom they have pierced.” 38 After this, Joseph of Arimathea, secretly a disciple of Jesus for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate if he could remove the body of Jesus. And Pilate permitted it. So he came and took his body. 39 Nicodemus, the one who had first come to him at night, also came bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes weighing about one hundred pounds. 40 They took the body of Jesus and bound it with burial cloths along with the spices, according to the Jewish burial custom. 41 Now in the place where he had been crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb, in which no one had yet been buried. 42 So they laid Jesus there because of the Jewish preparation day; for the tomb was close by.

my reflections
think:What small part can you play in helping to alleviate some of the suffering in the world today?

March
Tuesday

THE gOOD kiND

Mary of Magdala went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and what he told her. – John 20:18

He ate with them. Bonded with them. They took boat rides and mountain hikes together. He spoke to the crowds in parables but He would take them aside and explain its meanings to them. They were His best buddies. Barkada, as we would say in Filipino.
So I would think that as soon as Jesus rose from the dead, He would have let the Apostles know first. But no. God, in His divine wisdom, chose a woman to be the first witness of His resurrection.
There must be a reason. And I joke that He chose a woman to make sure that the news of His resurrection would spread to the ends of the earth.
Face it, we women are generally more detailed when it comes to telling a story. And boy, can we retell them really fast! But it’s not how detailed or how fast we can spread the news that matters but what kind of stories they are. Are they gossip that can destroy other’s reputation? Or hearsay that will cause strife? Or chitchat that is negative and doesn’t upbuild? Or is it good news that encourages, heals and gives strength to others?
So go ahead, spread the news. But make sure it’s a good one. Rissa Singson-Kawpeng

REFLECTION:
Seek Him and you will find Him.

Lord, help me to always remember that You are right within me, even if I don’t feel it.

------------------------

do not ClinG to Me

These are interesting words: Do not cling to me. I have not yet ascended to the Father. Jesus tells Mary that He has not yet finished His mission. He is yet to return to His Father in heaven. There are times when we too cling to things that we should not. This is what Jesus is warning us not to do. It is not as if we have the opportunity to cling to the resurrected but yet non-ascended Jesus, however, we are often tempted to cling to ideas of God and Jesus that are not true. We have to overcome childish images of God as the “stern judge waiting to judge the world,” or the “one who is making a list of our good deeds and bad deeds.” When we hear the Good News proclaimed by Jesus, we discover that we have to reform our image and remodel it along the lines of a God of love.
This can be a very difficult thing to do. It is hard to discard old images and ways of thinking. However, if we want to be true to the revelation of Jesus, this is exactly what we have to do. We have to let go of the idea that we have the right concept of God and His nature and allow the Holy Spirit to lead us to the true image and understanding of our God. If we are willing to do this, we will discover that God is ever willing to make Himself known to us. The trouble with people today is that too often, we do not want to admit we are wrong or that we have made a mistake. We need to grow in humility and not cling to wrong ideas just for the sake of our pride.
Jesus has to return to the Father so that He could send us the Holy Spirit. When we cling to old ideas and false images of God, we do not allow the fullness of His power and grace to come into our lives. We limit His influence in our lives through our misguided notions of who He is and what He wants to do for us. The challenge for every disciple of Jesus is to open our hearts to the grace of His Spirit, and to allow Him to speak the full truth ofHis love into our lives, and so transform and recreate us to be the people He wants us to be. Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
What are the false images and ideas of God that I struggle to leave behind me?

Holy Spirit, open my heart and mind to the truth of who God is and allow me to surrender my life fully to His love.

St. Dula, virgin martyr, pray for us.

-------------------------------

1st READING

When we hear or read the Gospel it always requires a response on our part. This is part of its internal dynamic. God’s Word will never leave us in the same state as we were before we started reading it or hearing it. If we remain unchanged it is because we have chosen to refuse the Spirit of God to work in our lives. Now that is a scary thing to think about. I do not want to have to try and explain that attitude to God when I come before Him on Judgment Day.

Acts 2:36-41
36 Let the whole house of Israel know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Messiah, this Jesus whom you crucified.” 37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and they asked Peter and the other apostles, “What are we to do, my brothers?” 38 Peter [said] to them, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is made to you and to your children and to all those far off, whomever the Lord our God will call.” 40 He testified with many other arguments, and was exhorting them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand persons were added that day.

P S A L M

Psalm 33:4-5, 18-19, 20 and 22
R: The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord.
4 Upright is the word of the LORD, and all his works are trustworthy. 5 He loves justice and right; of the kindness of the LORD the earth is full. (R) 18 See, the eyes of the LORD are upon those who fear him, upon those who hope for his kindness, 19 to deliver them from death and preserve them in spite of famine. (R) 20 Our soul waits for the LORD, who is our help and our shield. 22 May your kindness, O LORD, be upon us who have put our hope in you. (R)

G O S P E L

I wonder why Jesus chooses to use the word “woman” in addressing Mary Magdalene in this passage. Is it a reference back to Eve, who is referred to as the “woman” in Genesis? Is it an oblique reference to Mary, His mother, whom He addressed this way earlier in the Gospel at the wedding feast of Cana? Perhaps this title might be worth reflecting on for a few moments. Sometimes if we reflect in this manner with a few questions for the Holy Spirit, He may enlighten us with a deeper understanding.

John 20:11-18
11 Mary stayed outside the tomb weeping. And as she wept, she bent over into the tomb 12 and saw two angels in white sitting there, one at the head and one at the feet where the body of Jesus had been. 13 And they said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She said to them, “They have taken my Lord, and I don’t know where they laid him.” 14 When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus there, but did not know it was Jesus. 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you looking for?” She thought it was the gardener and said to him, “Sir, if you carried him away, tell me where you laid him, and I will take him.” 16 Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to him in Hebrew, “Rabbouni,” which means Teacher. 17 Jesus said to her, “Stop holding on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” 18 Mary of Magdala went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and what he told her.

my reflections
think: God’s Word will never leave us in the same state as we were before we started reading it or hearing it.

Exodus 7-9

March
Friday
TODAY'S READINGS:

OUR WAYS, HiS WAYS

... that night they caught nothing. When it was already dawn, Jesus was standing on the shore. – John 21:3, 4

She had never experienced this before. For several months, her business had only a trickling of clients. Not enough even to pay the basic bills. She wanted her jobless husband to get a job. But he was recovering from a past illness.
She prayed. No answer. She prayed again. Still nothing. Just like Peter and his friends in today’s Gospel who caught nothing that night.
But one day, after copious tears, she told the Lord, “I surrender!” It was at that point when she saw “Jesus standing on the shore” of deliverance.
She realized that on her own, she couldn’t make it. When she let the power of God move, everything else changed. She sowed financially, and she reaped financially. Very recently, her husband got a job — even when he was over 50 years old!
Oftentimes, we are like this friend of mine. We try to solve our problems using our own ways, only to go farther into the sea of problems. The Bible says faith should “rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God” (1 Corinthians 2:5). Danny Tariman

REFLECTION:
Are you holding on to your problem by trying to resolve it your way?

Dear Jesus, strengthen my faith in You, to let go of my own ways, and let Your power work in me.

-----------------------------

it is the lord

I wonder how many times in our lives we come to realize that it is the Lord who has just accomplished something significant? I doubt if it is as often as it should be. There are at least two possible reasons for this. The first is that we are just very bad at recognizing the hand of God at work in our lives. The second is that there is very little for us to recognize because we do not give God the opportunity to work in our lives. If it is the second reason that is relevant to your life, then that is a big problem, but a problem you have the power to address. I know from personal experience that there are times in my life when I am reluctant to surrender myself to the Holy Spirit, mostly because I am unsure of what the Spirit will do with me or will ask me to do something I do not want to do.
This is one of the challenges of a disciple of Jesus. Are we willing to trust that what God wants for us is always the best thing for us? Are we willing to trust that whatever God asks us to do for Him, He will provide the means for us to accomplish that task? When I read the lives of the saints, I discover men and women like myself who were often reluctant to surrender their lives to God, but when they decided to do so became the channels for extraordinary graces, not just for themselves but for the Church and for the world. It is this possibility that inspires us to take the risk and let the Holy Spirit lead us where He wills. If many of us can find the courage to do this, the world will be transformed to the degree that we will hardly be able to recognize that the new came from the old. Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
Why do I hold back from surrendering all to the Lord? What can I do to encourage myself to leave my life and dreams in the hands of the Holy Spirit?

Lord Jesus, You surrendered all to the will of Your Father in Heaven. Help me to do the same so that I may be able help ensure that Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

St. Venturino of Bergamo, Dominican preacher and missionary crusader, pray for us.

--------------------

1st READING

Peter refuses to remain silent because there is something within him saying that the truth must be proclaimed regardless of the consequences. Peter has had the advantage of being an eyewitness to the life, death and resurrection of Jesus and thus has some authority in this matter. It should not take much to convince us that we, too, must be willing to use every opportunity we get to proclaim the Gospel to all.

Acts 4:1-12
1 While Peter and John were still speaking to the people, the priests, the captain of the temple guard, and the Sadducees confronted them, 2 disturbed that they were teaching the people and proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection of the dead. 3 They laid hands on them and put them in custody until the next day, since it was already evening. 4 But many of those who heard the word came to believe and [the] number of men grew to [about] five thousand. 5 On the next day, their leaders, elders, and scribes were assembled in Jerusalem, 6 with Annas the high priest, Caiaphas, John, Alexander, and all who were of the high-priestly class. 7 They brought them into their presence and questioned them, “By what power or by what name have you done this?” 8 Then Peter, filled with the holy Spirit, answered them, “Leaders of the people and elders: 9 If we are being examined today about a good deed done to a cripple, namely, by what means he was saved, 10 then all of you and all the people of Israel should know that it was in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazorean whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead; in his name this man stands before you healed. 11 He is ‘the stone rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone.’ 12 There is no salvation through anyone else, nor is there any other name under heaven given to the human race by which we are to be saved.”

P S A L M

Psalm 118:1-2 and 4, 22-24, 25-27a
R: The stone rejected by the builders has become the cornerstone.
1 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his mercy endures forever. 2 Let the house of Israel say, “His mercy endures forever.” 4 Let those who fear the LORD say, “His mercy endures forever.” (R) 22 The stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone. 23 By the LORD has this been done; it is wonderful in our eyes. 24 This is the day the LORD has made; let us be glad and rejoice in it. (R) 25 O LORD, grant salvation! O LORD, grant prosperity! 26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD; we bless you from the house of the LORD. 27 The LORD is God, and he has given us light. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus encounters His disciples in the most natural of situations – gathering and preparing food for a meal. Everyone shares in this daily task. In meeting His disciples in this way, Jesus affirms that He is still one of them – yes, it is the same Jesus whom they have known and lived with over the last three or so years. From other appearances we will discover that Jesus is also different, in a resurrected form that can walk through walls. Today we reflect upon the fact that Jesus is still one of us in a very real way.

John 21:1-14
1 Jesus revealed himself again to his disciples at the Sea of Tiberias. He revealed himself in this way. 2 Together were Simon Peter, Thomas called Didymus, Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, Zebedee’s sons, and two others of his disciples. 3 Simon Peter said to them, “I am going fishing.” They said to him, “We also will come with you.” So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing. 4 When it was already dawn, Jesus was standing on the shore; but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. 5 Jesus said to them, “Children, have you caught anything to eat?” They answered him, “No.” 6 So he said to them, “Cast the net over the right side of the boat and you will find something.” So they cast it, and were not able to pull it in because of the number of fish. 7 So the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, “It is the Lord.” When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he tucked in his garment, for he was lightly clad, and jumped into the sea. 8 The other disciples came in the boat, for they were not far from shore, only about a hundred yards, dragging the net with the fish. 9 When they climbed out on shore, they saw a charcoal fire with fish on it and bread. 10 Jesus said to them, “Bring some of the fish you just caught.” 11 So Simon Peter went over and dragged the net ashore full of one hundred fifty-three large fish. Even though there were so many, the net was not torn. 12 Jesus said to them, “Come, have breakfast.” And none of the disciples dared to ask him, “Who are you?” because they realized it was the Lord. 13 Jesus came over and took the bread and gave it to them, and in like manner the fish. 14 This was now the third time Jesus was revealed to his disciples after being raised from the dead.

my reflections
think:Today we reflect upon the fact that Jesus is still one of us in a very real way.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Exodus16-18

This Saturday, let God give you rest in His Spirit.

Praying for you,
LOIS

March
Saturday

A POWERFUL THiNg

“Observing the boldness of Peter and John and perceiving them to be uneducated men, they were amazed, and they recognized them as the companions of Jesus.” . Acts 4:13

“Flinordeluna ka naman eh.” There have been times in my life when friends and family have said that of my reaction to others’ unfair or hurtful treatment of me. They’re referring to Flor de Luna, the protagonist of the 80s soap opera, who was always mistreated. Because I thought that was the Christian way, I would always try to give the benefit of the doubt, give way, understand and remain silent — even when I was being abused.
I am slowly learning that my love for truth and justice should also mean that I speak up for myself when the situation calls for it. I am learning that God’s power in me doesn’t only mean the grace to comfort the weak in their distress, but to also speak on their behalf — if needed. I am learning that power doesn’t mean I do not fear — only that I overcome my fear of being rejected or being looked on as less than a “saint.”
I wouldn’t be surprised if Peter and John’s boldness came from courage grounded in Jesus’ total acceptance of them. I, too, am learning that. And it’s a powerful thing. Joy Sosoban

REFLECTION:
“Be brave and steadfast; have no fear or dread of them, for it is the Lord, your God, who marches with you; he will never fail you or forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6)

Lord, grant me courage to be what You want me to be.

----------------

so What if We are uneduCated layMen?

Education is an important aspect of life, particularly in regards our secular existence in a very complex and busy world. Religious education is also very important as it lays a solid foundation upon which our faith can be built. However, there is an even more important aspect to our Christian faith and this is the lived experience of it. This includes both the experience of receiving God’s grace and Spirit in our lives, and responding to that grace and seeingits fruits. Without a lived experience, our faith is liable to wither and die in this world of instant entertainment and experiences. It is perhaps one of the reasons why so many of the “born again” congregations easily poach young Catholics over to their churches – they emphasize the lived experience of their faith and work towards bringing that
experience into the lives of others.
We Catholics tend to rely upon age-old formulae and practices which, in many cases, demonstrate little immediate relevance to the youth of today. This is a problem that youth ministries in our parishes and communities must seek to redress. I am not saying that an emotional high is all that we need; however, it does have a place in the schema of evangelization. It is important that we recognize that human beings are emotional beings and that it is possible to use our emotions to the advantage of the Gospel proclamation.
Pope John Paul II and his successor Benedict XVI have called for a New Evangelization in the Catholic Church. What they mean by this is that we need to discover new ways to reach out to those who have never heard the Gospel and to those for whom the Gospel has lost its relevance for one reason or another. There are enormous challenges ahead for the Church and that means for you and me. Let us not lose heart but give our all in seeking to the best we can to enliven the Gospel of Christ in the hearts of all men and women. Fr. Steve Tynan

Reflection Question:
What changes do I need to make in my life in order to allow myself to grow more deeply in and be committed more deeply to my faith?

Jesus, You fixed Your heart upon the goal of Your Father’s will. Help me to do the same and to never lose sight of what You call me to do daily – namely live the truth of the Gospel.

St. Secundus, nobleman, pray for us.

-----------------------

1st READING

The authorities marvel at the way the disciples are able to proclaim the Gospel and interest so many because they are uneducated men. Education is not a necessary precondition for receiving the gift of salvation. Thanks be to God for that. However, lack of education is also no excuse for any unwillingness to proclaim the Good News, even to those who are educated. Each of us must do his or her part in the work of the Kingdom of God.

Acts 4:13-21
13 Observing the boldness of Peter and John and perceiving them to be uneducated, ordinary men, they were amazed, and they recognized them as the companions of Jesus. 14 Then when they saw the man who had been cured standing there with them, they could say nothing in reply. 15 So they ordered them to leave the Sanhedrin, and conferred with one another, saying, 16 “What are we to do with these men? Everyone living in Jerusalem knows that a remarkable sign was done through them, and we cannot deny it. 17 But so that it may not be spread any further among the people, let us give them a stern warning never again to speak to anyone in this name.” 18 So they called them back and ordered them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 19 Peter and John, however, said to them in reply, “Whether it is right in the sight of God for us to obey you rather than God, you be the judges. 20 It is impossible for us not to speak about what we have seen and heard.” 21 After threatening them further, they released them, finding no way to punish them, on account of the people who were all praising God for what had happened.

P S A L M

Psalm 118:1 and 14-15ab, 16-18, 19-21
R: I will give thanks to you, for you have answered me.
1 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his mercy endures forever. 14 My strength and my courage is the LORD, and he has been my savior. 15 The joyful shout of victory in the tents of the just. (R) 16 “The right hand of the LORD is exalted; the right hand of the LORD has struck with power.” 17 I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD. 18 Though the LORD has indeed chastised me, yet he has not delivered me to death. (R) 19 Open to me the gates of justice; I will enter them and give thanks to the LORD. 20 This gate is the LORD’s; the just shall enter it. 21 I will give thanks to you, for you have answered me and have been my savior. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus commissions His disciples to take the Good News to the ends of the earth. This task is not yet complete. There are millions of people who have not yet heard the Gospel. We have inherited this commission from the disciples through our baptism. Let us make sure that we are prepared to play our part in this task and not just be content with being a part of the Church for what we can get out of it.

Mark 16:9-15
9 When Jesus had risen, early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons. 10 She went and told his companions who were mourning and weeping. 11 When they heard that he was alive and had been seen by her, they did not believe. 12 After this he appeared in another form to two of them walking along on their way to the country. 13 They returned and told the others; but they did not believe them either. 14 But later, as the eleven were at table, he appeared to them and rebuked them for their unbelief and hardness of heart because they had not believed those who saw him after he had been raised. 15 He said to them, “Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature.”

my reflections
think:Jesus commissions His disciples to take the Good News to the ends of the earth. This task is not yet complete. What are you doing to make this happen?

March
Monday
TODAY'S READINGS:

--------------

Solemnity of the Annunciation of our Lord

bELiEVE, AND THEN WATCH

“Ask for a sign from the Lord, your God; let it be deep as the nether world, or high as the sky!” – Isaiah 7:11

Years before I started taking my spiritual journey seriously, I said, “I don’t believe in the promises in the Bible — that God will give you this and that, if you believe.” I thought that if I did well in what I was supposed to do and I don’t violate the Ten Commandments, God would grant me whatever I asked from Him. In other words, I get what I work for.
What I didn’t know was that God does more than that. He wants to give me more than what I ask for — simply because He loves me. Not because I deserve it.
When I said, “Lord, I want to use my talents to serve You,” He opened opportunities for me to write.
When I said, “Lord, I know You have plans for my life. I open myself to Your plans,” He allowed me to explore my other latent gifts, and my life changed direction.
When I said, “Lord, I need patience, I need compassion, etc.,” He sent me people to model those virtues to me.
Faith changes people. Faith brings forth other virtues. Just ask, and believe, then watch things happen. Tess Atienza

REFLECTION:
What has faith brought into my life?

Lord, I believethat You love me more than what my mind can conceive. Help me trust in that love.

---------------

Mary’s yes

What happened in Nazareth was a beautiful moment: God humbles Himself and becomes one of us in the womb of the Virgin Mary. It is a turning point in history, the beginning of salvation. The instrument of this great moment is a young girl who was engaged and about to marry Joseph to start a family when it happened. Mary did not understand what God wanted from her; she was confused.
But she said Yes without being aware that her Yes would bring her not only joy but problem after problem and even profound suffering. Years, no, decades of uncertainty and suffering would follow her Yes. No wonder that Mary was called the “perfect disciple.” She lived out what all of us who follow Christ have to experience: the uncertainty of our faith-journey. We have said Yes through our parents and godparents when we were baptized and have repeated our Yes whenever we have renewed our baptismal promises – the last time a week ago during the Easter Mass. Like Mary we have encountered and will continue to encounter doubts, questions, and uncertainties. Like Mary we encounter moments when we cry out “Why, Lord?” Like Mary we will not always be understood, even by some of our friends and relatives when we hope against all hope and trust God in seemingly impossible situations.
For Mary, the moment of her Son’s death must have been a shattering experience but John tells us that she STOOD beneath the Cross. And the Golgotha experience was not the end. A week ago we celebrated Easter and we in the Philippines add to the liturgical celebration the tradition of Salubong, that moment when all questions were answered for Mary and when she reaped the fruits of the Yes she said decades ago.
May Mary’s Yes encourage us and help us to go through the darkest moments with the unshakable trust that “for God nothing is impossible” and so reach with Mary one day the joyful moment when all our questions will find an answer. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:
Am I able, like Mary, to say a joyful YES to God’s plans even though I don’t understand what it entails?

Lord, thank you so much for giving us your beloved Mother as our Mother, too. Remind me in moments of doubt and darkness how your Mother went through everything and as rewarded for her trust and faith.

St. Guy of Pomposa, abbot, pray for us.

-----------

1st READING

Throughout Israel’s history God spoke through prophets, patriarchs, judges and seers. More often than not, however, the people refused to listen and turned away fromthe Lord by worshiping false idols or entering into military alliances with pagan kings. Isaiah literally speaks of a future victory (nine months away) but prophesies also the beginning of the ultimate victory through the birth of the Messiah.

Isaiah 7:10-14;8:10
10 The LORD spoke to Ahaz: 11 “Ask for a sign from the LORD, your God; let it be deep as the nether world, or high as the sky!” 12 But Ahaz answered, “I will not ask! I will not tempt the LORD!” 13 Then he said: “Listen, O house of David! Is it not enough for you to weary men, must you also weary my God? 14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you this sign the virgin shall be with child, and bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel. 8: 10 Form a plan, and it shall be thwarted; make a resolve, and it shall not be carried out, for “With us is God!”

P S A L M

Psalm 40:7-8a, 8b-9, 10
R: Here am I Lord; I come to do your will.
6 [7] Sacrifice or offering you wished not, but ears open to obedience you gave me. Holocausts or sin-offerings you sought not; 7 [8] then said I, “Behold I come”; (R) “In the written scroll it is prescribed for me, 8 [9] to do your will, O my God, is my delight, and your law is within my heart!” (R) 9 [10] I announced your justice in the vast assembly; I did not restrain my lips, as you, O LORD, know. (R) 10 [11] Your justice I kept not hid within my heart; your faithfulness and your salvation I have spoken of; I have made no secret of your kindness and your truth in the vast assembly. (R)

2nd READING

The only sacrifice God is really interested in is that of our lives given in obedience to His will. This may sound somewhat selfish on His part but when we consider the offer closely we will see that it is well worth taking up. God has been faithful to us from the beginning. He has not given up on us at any time in the past and nor will He in the future. What is you response to that sort of love and commitment?

Hebrews 10:4-10
4 It is impossible that the blood of bulls and goats take away sins. 5 For this reason, when he came into the world, he said: “Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me; 6 holocausts and sin offerings you took no delight in. 7 Then I said, ‘As is written of me in the scroll, Behold, I come to do your will, O God.’ ” 8 First he says, “Sacrifices and offerings, holocausts and sin offerings, you neither desired nor delighted in.” These are offered according to the law. 9 Then he says, “Behold, I come to do your will.” He takes away the first to establish the second. 10 By this “will,” we have been consecrated through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

G O S P E L

Mary’s act of submission to the Lord’s will ought to be engraved on our hearts forever. It is this act that begins the human life of Jesus and ultimately leads to our salvation. Every person whoever lived, is living and will ever live ought to be grateful to Mary for her obedience. We ought to exalt her above all other human beings because she truly is a blessed one of God.

Luke 1:26-38
26 The angel Gabriel was sent from God to a town of Galilee called Nazareth, 27 to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the house of David, and the virgin’s name was Mary. 28 And coming to her, he said, “Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you.” 29 But she was greatly troubled at what was said and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. 30 Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father, 33 and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.” 34 But Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I have no relations with a man?” 35 And the angel said to her in reply, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God. 36 And behold, Elizabeth, your relative, has also conceived a son in her old age, and this is the sixth month for her who was called barren; 37 for nothing will be impossible for God.” 38 Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.” Then the angel departed from her.

my reflections
think:The only sacrifice God is really interested in is that of our lives given in obedience to His will.

REVIEW OF THE QUARTER

Did I fulfill my last Quarter Goals?

What were the most important words the Lord gave to me this quarter?

What were my greatest blessings these past three months?

What are my most pressing needs for the next quarter?

NOTES:

April
Wednesday
--------------------------

“DEAR SANTA”

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will done for you. – John 15:7

I’ve been wanting to have a digital camera. But since it’s quite expensive, I prayed that some good soul out there could give me one. Then last year, my godmother from the US sent me one as a token of her gratitude for all the favors and errands I had done for her. Now, I take pictures from bugs to whales, from simple smiles to once-in-a-lifetime tear-jerking events.
Sometimes we think that our prayers have to be serious all the time. But I’ve learned to ask the Lord for things both big and small.
In our verse above, Jesus attached an interesting condition to getting our prayers answered. He said, “If you remain in me....” “Remaining in me” means that we are joined. What flows in me, flows in you. The branch grafted to the main trunk becomes what the tree is. We are one in mind and in desires.
When I became one with my husband, what gives me joy now is what makes him happy! It’s the same with God. As I desire for things that can make God smile and pray about it, He grants it. Marissa Escoto

REFLECTION:
What have you asked from the Lord lately? Ask anything in His name.

Father, I know that you are a God of mercy. Hear my prayers, oh Lord. You give hope to the hopeless, meaning to the meaningless. Lord of life, heed my heart’s desire (mention your petition). In Jesus’ Name, I pray. Amen.

------------------------

KEEP IN TOUCH

The Gospel today reminds me of the ad campaign of the Philippine Long Distance Company (PLDT): “PLDT – Keeping You in Touch.” Jesus is like PLDT. He keeps us in touch. When we reflect on the Gospel today, very often we consider only our relationship with Jesus. Jesus is the Vine and we are the branches. Our focus is on keeping in touch with Jesus. Of course, that should be our first consideration as regards the Gospel today. However, we miss so much if we end our reflection with only this.

1st READING

The first major theological and pastoral dispute arose in the life of the Early Church. The way they resolved this dispute will become the pattern for doing so up until our own times. The guidance of the Holy Spirit sees them through the crisis and enables them to expand their knowledge of the Gospel and its nature. Let us be thankful that these men were able to talk the dispute through and not resort to the very human response of splitting into parties and factions to the point of a schism.

Acts 15: 1-6
1 Some who had come down from Judea were instructing the brothers, “Unless you are circumcised according to the Mosaic practice, you cannot be saved.” 2 Because there arose no little dissension and debate by Paul and Barnabas with them, it was decided that Paul, Barnabas, and some of the others should go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and presbyters about this question. 3 They were sent on their journey by the church, and passed through Phoenicia and Samaria telling of the conversion of the Gentiles, and brought great joy to all the brothers. 4 When they arrived in Jerusalem, they were welcomed by the church, as well as by the apostles and the presbyters, and they reported what God had done with them. 5 But some from the party of the Pharisees who had become believers stood up and said, “It is necessary to circumcise them and direct them to observe the Mosaic law.” 6 The apostles and the presbyters met together to see about this matter.

P S A L M

Psalm 122: 1- 2, 3-4ab, 4cd-5
R: Let us go rejoicing to the house of the Lord.
1 I rejoiced because they said to me, “We will go up to the house of the LORD.” 2 And now we have set foot within your gates, O Jerusalem. (R) 3 Jerusalem, built as a city with compact unity. 4 To it the tribes go up, the tribes of the LORD. (R) According to the decree for Israel, to give thanks to the name of the LORD. 5 In it are set up judgment seats, seats for the house of David. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus uses the image of a vine and vine dresser to describe the nature of the Church’s discipleship and dependence upon the grace and goodwill of the Father. Each of us has to come to that place of humility where we recognize that we have to submit our lives to the mind and will of God if we are going to make the most of our life and discover true fulfillment. This is the heart of the nature of discipleship – a grace we should pray for regularly.

John 15: 1-8
1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. 2 He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and everyone that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit. 3 You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you. 4 Remain in me, as I remain in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. 6 Anyone who does not remain in me will be thrown out like a branch and wither; people will gather them and throw them into a fire and they will be burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. 8 By this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.”

my reflections
think:Have we submitted our lives to the mind and will of God?

April 24
Thursday

HOUSE RULES

“If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love… that your joy may be complete.” – John 15:10-11

“House rules? I only have one,” the priest said to our retreat class regarding the use of the facility. Discarding a traditional long list of do’s and don’ts, he laid out the shortest but most powerful house rules in the planet. He simply said, “Treat this retreat house as you would your own home that you love so dearly.”
Jesus’ command in the verses above is simple too. “Love one another.” Period. Now it makes a lot sense why He said, “If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love.” This is more than just a law. In no unclear terms, He is also showing us the way to a life of joy.
Just take a look at what’s common with the following: a working mother who skips lunch just to be able to buy a blue Superman shirt for her boy, a sleep depraved husband who attends to his sick wife, and a brilliant medical student who opts to be a missionary in the mountains. All these people have the joy that the world may not understand and can never take away!
Today’s message in short: His command of love is joy! Jon Escoto

REFLECTION:

Do you want joy in your life? Simply love. This is God’s command to you.

Lord, I need your “command.” Give me the grace that I may fully obey it, that I may find joy and have it complete in my life.

-------------------

WHY AND HOW CAN HE?

Have you ever wondered why Jesus loves us so much? We even expect that Jesus should love us the way He does. But we do not bother to ask how Jesus can love us so much. We think that He loves us simply because He is God. But today, let us pause and ask: How can Jesus love us even if we are undeserving of His love?
Jesus Himself answers our question today. “As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you,” He declares in the Gospel. Jesus loves us because the Father loves Him first. He loves us so much because the Father loves Him so much as well. As the Father loves Him, so does Jesus love us and loves us in the same measure of His Father’s love for Him. The love of the Father for Him is like a well from where Jesus draws His love for us. And because the Father is eternal, His love for Jesus is everlasting; so too is Jesus’ love for us. Because the Father is immortal, His love for Jesus is undying; so too is Jesus’ love for us. Because the Father is selfless, He loves Jesus selflessly; so too is Jesus’ love for us. If someone approaches you and asks you why and how can Jesus be in love with us, read to him today’s Gospel.
Jesus commands us to love one another as He loves us. Some people may ask whether love can really be commanded or not. Following the logic of love between the Father and Jesus and between Jesus and us, the answer to that question is this: Yes, love can be commanded because it has first been given. Jesus can command us to love one another because He has first loved us. He loves us so that we may love.
Remain in that love.Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question: “The true measure of love is love without measure.” (St. Francis de Sales)

Jesus, thank You for loving me as the Father loves You. That is so overwhelming, Jesus. Help me to love others as You love me. Amen.

St. Fidelis of Sigmaringen, martyr, pray for us.

----------------

1st READING

Peter recognizes that in the mind of God there is no ultimate distinction between Jew and Gentile. What I mean by this is that He loves all men and women with the same love and has the same desire for the salvation of all. The Gospel is not a message for a small exclusive group of people but for all mankind. As such we should always be on the lookout for opportunities to draw others into the life of grace we know so well.

Acts 15:7-21
7 After much debate had taken place, Peter got up and said to them, “My brothers, you are well aware that from early days God made his choice among you that through my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe. 8 And God, who knows the heart, bore witness by granting them the holy Spirit just as he did us. 9 He made no distinction between us and them, for by faith he purified their hearts. 10 Why, then, are you now putting God to the test by placing on the shoulders of the disciples a yoke that neither our ancestors nor we have been able to bear? 11 On the contrary, we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they.” 12 The whole assembly fell silent, and they listened while Paul and Barnabas described the signs and wonders God had worked among the Gentiles through them. 13 After they had fallen silent, James responded, “My brothers, listen to me. 14 Symeon has described how God first concerned himself with acquiring from among the Gentiles a people for his name. 15 The words of the prophets agree with this, as is written: 16 ‘After this I shall return and rebuild the fallen hut of David; from its ruins I shall rebuild it and raise it up again, 17 so that the rest of humanity may seek out the Lord, even all the Gentiles on whom my name is invoked. Thus says the Lord who accomplishes these things, 18 known from of old.’ 19 It is my judgment, therefore, that we ought to stop troubling the Gentiles who turn to God, 20 but tell them by letter to avoid pollution from idols, unlawful marriage, the meat of strangled animals, and blood. 21 For Moses, for generations now, has had those who proclaim him in every town, as he has been read in the synagogues every sabbath.”
P S A L M

Psalm 96: 1-2a, 2b-3, 10
R: Proclaim God’s marvelous deeds to all the nations.
1 Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all you lands. 2 Sing to the LORD; bless his name. (R) Announce his salvation, day after day. 3 Tell his glory among the nations; among all peoples, his wondrous deeds. (R) 10 Say among the nations the LORD is king. He has made the world firm, not to be moved; he governs the peoples with equity. (R)
G O S P E L

Jesus exhorts His disciples to remain in His love. Jesus knows that one of the reasons why His ministry has been so powerful is that it was not just dependent upon His own resources. He was able to draw from His union with His Father in Heaven as well. This is true wisdom that is easy to understand. A fighter on his own in battle is mucheasier to defeat than one who stands as part of an army.

John 15:9-11
9 “As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. 11 “I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete.”

my reflections
think:A fighter on his own in battle is much easier to defeat than one who stands as part of an army.

April
Friday
TODAY'S READINGS:

--------------------------------

Feast of St. Mark, Evangelist

BECAUSE OF LOVE

And all of you, clothe yourselves with humility in your dealings with one another. – 1 Peter 5:5

“No, I can’t take it sitting down.”
“I have to fight and let him know he’s wrong.”
This is my reaction whenever I feel that something wrong was done or decided on by a higher authority, especially if it affects me or the people around me. Being an analytical person, I would scrutinize in my mind or with someone else the negative impact of a decision or action, and even the motivation for doing so. It would affect me so much that I would even dream about it, get migraine because of it, and a host of other “stressinduced” illnesses.
“The world is not perfect because of love,” the priest said during the recollection of Retreat in Daily Life participants. I felt convicted. I had become too critical, judgmental and too idealistic, unwilling to accept flaws of persons in authority,
especially those who are over me.
Nobody is perfect. The world is not perfect. I am not perfect. That’s why the Lord asked us to love one another. That’s why we have been given the power to love. And it is this love that has the power to transform the world, the people in it and most of all, myself. Tess Atienza

REFLECTION:
What you cannot accept in others is probably a projection of what you cannot accept in yourself.

Give me Your heart, O Lord, so that I may still love despite all the imperfections around me and within me.

---------------------

LEAVING OUR MARK

Today is the feast of St. Mark, the Evangelist. We know very little about Mark. The little we know about him is from his work for the Lord.
The First Reading today (1 Peter 5:5-14) tells us that Mark was like a son to Peter. He was Peter’s loyal aide and Paul’s reconciled friend.
We also know that Mark wrote the shortest, oldest and bluntest of the Gospels. He wrote the Gospel for Christians who were restless over the delay of the Second Coming of the Lord and were frightened by the virulent persecution waged against them. If you cut the gospel written by Mark into equal halves, you will discover that its very center is the verse where Jesus says, “If a man wishes to come after me, he must deny his very self, take up his cross and follow me.” Discipleship and the Cross form the heart of Mark’s gospel. Discipleship is his response to the Lord. The Cross is his Good News to the world.
I wonder, hundreds of years from now, if someone accidentally comes across anything that will identify us, what will that be? How will we be known to generations we will never know? Will they also say, “We know very little about this person, but we know what he did for the Lord and what the Lord does for us now because of him.” This we now say about Mark. Can they say the same about us even long after we are gone?
It depends on what mark we leave behind. It will do us well to reflect on this today — Mark’s feast day. Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question: It is by loving like Jesus that the world will know that we are His disciples.

Stamp Your image on us, O Jesus, so that wherever we go we may leave a mark of You on people we meet. May they know very little about us but very much about You. Amen.

St. Mark, evangelist, pray for us.

-------------------

1st READING

The call to leadership has to be discerned carefully as it involves great responsibility. A leader takes on more than simply the responsibility for his own life – he also takes a certain responsibility for the way in which he teaches and leads others. If he leads someone on the wrong path, then he is at least partially responsible for that person’s errors. If we are going to take on a leadership or teaching role in the Church community or indeed anywhere, we should remember this and act soberly at all times.

1 Peter 5: 5b-14
5 Clothe yourselves with humility in your dealings with one another, for: “God opposes the proud but bestows favor on the humble.” 6 So humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time. 7 Cast all your worries upon him because he cares for you. 8 Be sober and vigilant. Your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion looking for [someone] to devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in faith, knowing that your fellow believers throughout the world undergo the same sufferings. 10 The God of all grace who called you to his eternal glory through Christ Jesus will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you after you have suffered a little. 11 To him be dominion forever. Amen. 12 I write you this briefly through Silvanus, whom I consider a faithful brother, exhorting you and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Remain firm in it. 13 The chosen one at Babylon sends you greeting, as does Mark, my son. 14 Greet one another with a loving kiss. Peace to all of you who are in Christ.

P S A L M

Psalm 89: 2-3, 6-7, 16-17
R: For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
1 [2] The favors of the LORD I will sing forever; through all generations my mouth shall proclaim your faithfulness. 2 [3] For you have said, “My kindness is established forever”; in heaven you have confirmed your faithfulness. (R) 5 [6] The heavens proclaim your wonders, O LORD, and your faithfulness, in the assembly of the holy ones. 6 [7] For who in the skies can rank with the LORD? Who is like the LORD among the sons of God? (R) 15 [16] Blessed the people who know the joyful shout; in the light of your countenance, O LORD, they walk. 16 [17] At your name they rejoice all the day, and through your justice they are exalted. (R)

G O S P E L

Each baptized Christian is given the authority and call to be a part of the mission of the Church. None of us can afford to sit back and leave all the work of evangelization to others. We all have a part to play in the mission of the Church. This is the least we can expect. The gift of salvation is such a wonderful gift that we should be eagerly looking for ways to contribute to the spread of the Gospel. Let us pray daily for enlightenment in this area of our lives.

Mark 16: 15-20
15 He said to them, “Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will drive out demons, they will speak new languages. 18 They will pick up serpents [with their hands], and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm them. They will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” 19 So then the Lord Jesus, after he spoke to them, was taken up into heaven and took his seat at the right hand of God. 20 But they went forth and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the word through accompanying signs.

my reflections
think: None of us can afford to sit back and leave all the work of evangelization to others.

April
Saturday
TODAY'S READINGS:

WORLD HATE

“If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own…but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.” – John 15:19

The world “hates” me because I believe in Jesus and struggle to live the way He did. During a reunion with college friends, I shared about what a different life I now live because I’ve come to know Jesus in a personal way. One of my friends interrupted me and sarcastically remarked, “Talaga bang nagbago ka na o pa-praise the Lord, praise the Lord ka lang?”
When I invited an officemate to go to a prayer meeting with me, he refused and said, “You know, I don’t need to join a community to feel good about myself or to have friends. I’m already OK with the friends I have now.” Another friend who already attended several prayer meetings and community activities with me suddenly backed out the next time I invited her. She told me, “Ever since I joined you in the community, I’ve had one problem after another. If I continue attending, my problems might just get worse.”
These are but just milder forms of “hatred” thrown back at me when I tried to tell the world, “Jesus loves you.” Fear. Rejection. Sarcasm. I believe the world will hurl more stones as I continue to share Jesus and only with His grace and mercy will I be able keep on. Dina Pecaña

REFLECTION:
“We must make our way towards eternity, never regarding what men think of us or our actions, studying only to please God.” (St. Francis
Borgia)

Jesus, You are my refuge. Hide me in the tenderness of Your embrace when the world retaliates in anger. Strengthen me with Your grace and truth, ready to face the world once again.

-------------------------------

ARE YOU NEUROTIC?

The Messianic complex is a neurosis of saving the world. There is only one Messiah, and He is Jesus Christ. He does not suffer from this neurosis. But the rest, who think that they are also messiahs, do.
When we have done everything within our power and given all our best, yet still a soul refuses to be saved, we should never blame ourselves. It is not our fault. That soul is responsible for itself, too. When we cannot lead someone to salvation after we have done all we could, we should entrust that person to Jesus. Truly, Jesus alone saves. He is the Way, remember? Jesus is the Master and we are His disciples. Jesus is the Messiah and we are His ambassadors. Jesus is the Minister and we are His co-ministers. There is great consolation in keeping this truth in mind. Moreover, keeping this truth in mind saves us from the temptation of proclaiming ourselves as “ messiahs.”
The song, Your Heart Today, by Fr. Manoling Francisco, S.J., ends this way:

“And when I’ve done all that I could
yet there are hearts I cannot move,
Lord, give me hope that
I may be Your heart today.”

There are times when putting our hope in the Lord’s mysterious ways is the only means to save a soul. And hope, too, is the medicine for neurosis.Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question: I am not the Messiah. Jesus is.

“When I’ve done all that I could yet there are hearts I cannot move, Lord, give me hope that I may be Your heart today.”

St. Cletus, martyr, pray for us.

-------------------

1st READING

Obedience is a key element in a disciple’s life, necessary for growth in holiness. Paul is a man who is led by the Spirit. He is no longer interested in his own agenda. He hears a call to go to Macedonia that he believes is from the Holy Spirit and so he obeys. Let us open our hearts to the witness of his life and pray that we will be inspired by it.

Acts 16: 1-10
1 He reached also Derbe and Lystra where there was a disciple named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer, but his father was a Greek. 2 The brothers in Lystra and Iconium spoke highly of him, 3 and Paul wanted him to come along with him. On account of the Jews of that region, Paul had him circumcised, for they all knew that his father was a Greek. 4 As they traveled from city to city, they handed on to the people for observance the decisions reached by the apostles and presbyters in Jerusalem. 5 Day after day the churches grew stronger in faith and increased in number. 6 They traveled through the Phrygian and Galatian territory because they had been prevented by the holy Spirit from preaching the message in the province of Asia. 7 When they came to Mysia, they tried to go on into Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them, 8 so they crossed through Mysia and came down to Troas. 9 During the night Paul had a vision. A Macedonian stood before him and implored him with these words, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.” 10 When he had seen the vision, we sought passage to Macedonia at once, concluding that God had called us to proclaim the good news to them.

P S A L M

Psalm 100: 1b-2, 3, 5
R: Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.
1 Sing joyfully to the LORD, all you lands; 2 serve the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful song. (R) 3 Know that the LORD is God; he made us, his we are; his people, the flock he tends. (R) 5 The LORD is good, his kindness endures forever, and his faithfulness, to all generations. (R)

G O S P E L

Being a disciple of Jesus is no guarantee that life will be all blessings and easy. In today’s Gospel He reminds the disciples once again that the path to following Him will involve challenges and suffering. We can expect to go through similar struggles and to be treated the way He was. Unless we are aware of this, we will very easily become disappointed with our experiences of struggle and trial.

John 15: 18-21
18 “If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, the world would love its own; but because you do not belong to the world, and I have chosen you out of the world, the world hates you. 20 Remember the word I spoke to you, ‘No slave is greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. 21 And they will do all these things to you on account of my name, because they do not know the one who sent me.”

my reflections
think:
Am I willing to follow the path to discipleship?

April
Sunday

KEEPING HIS COMMANDMENTS

“If you love me, you will keep my commandments.” – John14:15

I found out that a close relative I trusted bad-mouthed me, stole from me and did the same to other members of our family. As my wife and I dug further, we discovered more bad stories about this person. Every time we talked about this, my blood would boil and my adrenalin would go up. But the Lord is reminding me today, “Love him if you love Me.”
A close friend uttered an insulting joke about me and my business. I wanted to squeeze the life out of this person. What a totally unfair statement! But today, the Lord reminds me, “Love her if you love Me.” After having spent two years of helping out and serving a friend, this person sends me an email outlining all my shortcomings and faults. The Lord reminds me, “Love! Do it for Me!”
I realized that Ken Blanchard, bestselling author of The One Minute Manager and Lead Like Jesus, was right when he said, “Demonstration (not words) is the next wave of evangelization.” The world is waiting for those who follow Jesus in acting and being like Him, who will love as He did. Ariel Driz

REFLECTION:
In what way can I demonstrate my love for the Lord?

Lord Jesus, nothing is impossible for You. Grant me the grace to love even when it hurts. Amen.

------------

NOT ORPHANS

After Socrates drank the cup of lethal hemlock, his pupils mourned that “they would have to spend the rest of their lives as children who had lost their father,” said Plato. Such is the case in ancient days. When a learned teacher dies, his students, nourished by his fatherly wisdom, often speak of themselves as having been orphaned. This is the same between Jesus and the Twelve. Thus, Jesus tells His disciples today, “I will not leave you orphans.”
Jesus is indeed telling the truth when He assures His disciples that He will not leave them orphans. Here are three reasons:
First, Jesus never lies. If there is anything that Jesus cannot do, despite His being God Himself, it is to tell a lie. Jesus is not only truthful; He is the Truth. When He tells His disciples that He will not leave them orphans, believe it.
Second, Jesus will die the following day but He will rise again. Students of a learned rabbi are considered orphans at the death of their teacher. And the death of their teacher is permanent; thus, the students are orphans forever. But Jesus’ death is temporary; thus, the disciples are not orphans at all.
Third, Jesus is going away but He is not gone. He is not leaving the scene. He will still be very much present within the Church and in the world. Jesus’ ascension does not mean that He is gone forever. It only means that Jesus cannot be seen by
the naked eye anymore. It means that Jesus can only be recognized through the eyes of faith. It only means that He is present in a different way.
The Holy Spirit defends us against lies, helps us believe in the resurrection of Jesus, and makes us recognize Him still present in our midst but in a new and different way. Jesus gives us the Holy Spirit, our Advocate.
We are not orphans. We will never be. Jesus is not only with us. He is in us through His Spirit. Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
Jesus is in us, not only with us.

Jesus living in me, help me live in You. Jesus living with me, help me live with You. Jesus, You gave me Your Spirit. Let me give my life to You. Amen.

St. Zita, virgin, pray for us.
-------------

1st READING

The reception of the Holy Spirit is a key aspect of a person’s initiation into the life of Christ. We need to surrender to the Spirit’s power or we may be like a car without an engine to move it anywhere. Peter and John visited Samaria to pray specifically for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit after the initial work of evangelization done by Philip. Today, the Church continually needs Christians to be empowered by the Spirit for the building up of God’s Kingdom here on earth.

Acts 8: 5-8, 14-17
5 Philip went down to the city of Samaria and proclaimed the Messiah to them. 6 With one accord, the crowds paid attention to what was said by Philip when they heard it and saw the signs he was doing. 7 For unclean spirits, crying out in a loud voice, came out of many possessed people, and many paralyzed and crippled people were cured. 8 There was great joy in that city. 14 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had
accepted the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, 15 who went down and prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 for it had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.

P S A L M

Psalm 66: 1- 3, 4-5 , 6-7, 16 and 20
R: Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.
1 Shout joyfully to God, all you on earth, 2 sing praise to the glory of his name; proclaim his glorious praise. 3 Say to God, “How tremendous are your deeds! (R) 4 Let all on earth worship and sing praise to you, sing praise to your name!” 5 Come and see the works of God, his tremendous deeds among the children of Adam. (R) 6 He has changed the sea into dry land; through the river they passed on foot; therefore let us rejoice in him. 7 He rules by his might forever. (R) 16 Hear now, all you who fear God, while I declare what he has done for me. 20 Blessed be God who refused me not my prayer or his kindness! (R)

2nd READING

St. Peter exhorts us to be ready at all times with an explanation for the hope we have in our lives. Thus we need to understand the life of grace we live under the guidance and blessing of the Holy Spirit. When others ask us about it, our explanation should inspire them to surrender to God and accept His gift of salvation.

1Peter 3: -15-18 (or 1Peter 4: 13- 16)
15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts. Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you for a reason for your hope, 16 but do it with gentleness and reverence, keeping your conscience clear, so that, when you are maligned, those who defame your good conduct in Christ may themselves be put to shame. 17 For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that be the will of God, than for doing evil. 18 For Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the sake of the unrighteous,
that he might lead you to God. Put to death in the flesh, he was brought to life in the spirit.

G O S P E L

Jesus promises His disciples that He will send the gift of the Holy Spirit upon them when He returns to His Father in heaven. The Spirit makes up for the loss of the physical presence of Jesus in the world. It also serves as the basis of our lives as disciples. Without the Holy Spirit, the world will easily lure us into its ways and beliefs. But with it, we can stand firm and know that we will never be defeated as long as we live by God’s grace.

John 14: 15-21 (or John1 7: 1-11 a)
15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always, 17 the Spirit of truth, which the world cannot accept, because it neither sees nor knows it. But you know it, because it remains with you, and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. 19 In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you. 21 Whoever has my commandments and observes them is the one who loves me. And whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him.”

my reflections
think:Do I surrender to the power of the Holy Spirit?

SABBATH PAUSE
My weekly time with God
THANK YOU LIST
Things to be grateful for from the past week
Things to ask God for in the coming week
Most important word God told me this week

APRIL 28, 2008
MONDAY

UNAFRAID

“I have told you this so that when their hour comes you may remember that I told you.” – John16:4a

As one of the leaders of the inmates at the Correctional Institute for Women, there were times when I had to do things that didn’t sit well with the other prisoners. Especially when it comes to prohibited activities inside the institution.
Once I discovered that some prisoners were using drugs. At first, I withheld the information because I was afraid that those who were guilty would harm me. But with courage from the Holy Spirit and believing that nothing could be against me if I was on God’s side, I did what He inspired me to do and reported the incident.
A general inspection was immediately conducted to find drug paraphernalia and its users. The search yielded a tooter, foil and other evidence under some beddings. The squad leader involved in the drug use was given disciplinary action, charged with an additional case and was stripped of her position and privileges. After she served time in solitary confinement, she was transferred to another dormitory far from where I was, to keep her from carrying out her threats to harm me.
Truly, if you are with God, there’s nothing to fear because He is your protector! Beth Coral

REFLECTION:
Afraid of the things you cannot reveal? Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to give you strength and shield you from harm.

Give me the grace, O Jesus, and the boldness to glorify You. Amen.

1st READING

The Gospel truth is spreading further into the Roman Empire. It is no longer confined to a few places near Jerusalem. Thanks to committed men like Paul, Barnabas and many others, the Gospel has been preached far and wide. It is our duty and privilege to do the same today. Worldly philosophies of secularism and materialism have made inroads into the life of the Church. Thus, the need to work towards a re-evangelization of many.

Acts 16: 11-15
11 We set sail from Troas, making a straight run for Samothrace, and on the next day to Neapolis, 12 and from there to Philippi, a leading city in that district of Macedonia and a Roman colony. We spent some time in that city. 13 On the sabbath we went outside the city gate along the river where we thought there would be a place of prayer. We sat and spoke with the women who had gathered there. 14 One of them, a woman named Lydia,a dealer in purple cloth, from the city of Thyatira, a worshiper of God, listened, and the Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what Paul was saying. 15 After she and her household had been baptized, she offered usan invitation, “If you consider me a believer in the Lord, come and stay at my home,” and she prevailed on us.

P S A L M

Psalm 149: 1b-2 , 3-4, 5-6a and 19b
R: The Lord takes delight in his people.
1 Sing to the LORD a new song of praise in the assembly of the faithful. 2 Let Israel be glad in their maker, let the children of Zion rejoice in their king. (R) 3 Let them praise his name in the festive dance, let them sing praise to him with timbrel and harp. 4 For the LORD loves his people, and he adorns the lowly with victory. (R) 5 Let the faithful exult in glory; let them sing for joy upon their couches; 6 let the high praises of God be in their throats. 9 This is the glory of all his faithful. Alleluia. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus predicts some of the persecution and suffering His followers will have to endure particularly when a decisive break with Judaism will occur. This will surely help instill in the minds of many believers and non-believers alike the significance and effect of faith in Jesus Christ. Suffering and persecution will always be a part of a disciple’s life. We will do well to prepare ourselves accordingly.

John 15: 26- 16:4a
26 “When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth that proceeds from the Father, he will testify to me. 27 And you also testify, because you have been with me from the beginning. 16: 1 “I have told you this so that you may not fall away. 2 They will expel you from the synagogues; in fact, the hour is coming when everyone who kills you will think he is offering worship to God. 3 They will do this because they have not known either the Father or me. 4 I have told you this so that when their hour comes you may remember that I told you.

my reflections
think: Am I always ready to explain my faith?

-----------------

THE BITTER PILL

A cliché goes, “The truth hurts.” By experience, we know that this is true. However, we also know that only the truth sets a man free. The truth is like a bitter pill that heals. Lying is a disease. Only the truth can restore to health anyone who is sick with lying.
The truth that Jesus had to leave His disciples was a big blow to the men who left everything to follow Him. They were sad. “Still,” Jesus said, “I must tell you the truth.” He had to go. Jesus did not give them a code to declassify; He spoke in the clearest terms about Himself. Telling them the truth helped them face the issue squarely. Facing issues in life is the first step to conquering them and growing in maturity through them.
When the disciples confronted the issue about Jesus’ farewell, they realized that Jesus’ physical absence from them actually meant the presence of the same Jesus in each of them. From then on, they themselves became an alter Christus, “another Christ.” From then on, they would see Jesus no longer with their physical eyes but with their eyes of faith. The presence of Jesus made the apostles strive to be Jesus to one another and recognize Him in each other as well.
The absence of Jesus paved the way for His abiding presence. In John 17:24, did not Jesus pray to the Father that all those whom the Father gave Him be with Him always? And departing from their sight was part of the answer to this fervent prayer of His. For by vanishing from their midst, Jesus became present in their very midst. His own Spirit, the Holy Spirit, the living Principle of His life and power, the very Breath of God, came not only upon but also into the hearts of His disciples even as Jesus went away. Letting go of Jesus was like the bitter pill the disciples had to take. It was, however, a bitter pill that gave them the sweet presence of the Holy Spirit in their hearts.
The truth hurts. It is like a bitter pill. Anyone who refuses to take it can never be healed. But one who takes it is healed and becomes a healer himself. Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
Have you taken the “truth pill” today?

I am scared of the truth, O Lord, because the truth often hurts. But only the truth can set me free. Hold me by the hand as I face the truth about myself and never leave me. Heal me and set me free, Jesus. Amen.

St. Catherine of Siena, virgin and doctor of the Church, pray for us.

April
Tuesday

GRIEF AND GRACE

“…grief has filled your hearts.” – John 16:6

My friend’s text message said: “Please help me accept this. We are not ready. I do not understand why this has to happen.” Her mom was diagnosed with stage two cancer.
Grief is a difficult emotion. It could be debilitating. We have experienced sorrow one time or another. It’s a natural, universal occurrence. We all pass through it at different levels. But the question is how. How should we grieve?
Do you know that as much as we have the capacity to feel grief, we have the greater ability to heal? Studies show that diseased cells can regenerate, livers that have been cut can grow back and muscle tissues can repair themselves.
Our bodies do heal. And so do our spirits. We can naturally overcome. And that’s from a human point of view. Now, what if we put God in the picture?
If you are in sorrow now, I speak to you: See the Lord walking with you every painful step of the way. Picture Him embracing you every millisecond, never leaving your side. Feel Him beside you, quietly bearing everything, enduring the anguish with you.
Grief can fill our hearts but Grace shall never depart. Lallaine Gogna

REFLECTION:
Know that after the rain, comes a rainbow.

Dear God, be with me when I need You most. When it seems like You have disappeared, remind me of Your great love and presence. Amen.

------------

THE BITTER PILL

A cliché goes, “The truth hurts.” By experience, we know that this is true. However, we also know that only the truth sets a man free. The truth is like a bitter pill that heals. Lying is a disease. Only the truth can restore to health anyone who is sick with lying.
The truth that Jesus had to leave His disciples was a big blow to the men who left everything to follow Him. They were sad. “Still,” Jesus said, “I must tell you the truth.” He had to go. Jesus did not give them a code to declassify; He spoke in the clearest terms about Himself. Telling them the truth helped them face the issue squarely. Facing issues in life is the first step to conquering them and growing in maturity through them.
When the disciples confronted the issue about Jesus’ farewell, they realized that Jesus’ physical absence from them actually meant the presence of the same Jesus in each of them. From then on, they themselves became an alter Christus, “another Christ.” From then on, they would see Jesus no longer with their physical eyes but with their eyes of faith. The presence of Jesus made the apostles strive to be Jesus to one another and recognize Him in each other as well.
The absence of Jesus paved the way for His abiding presence. In John 17:24, did not Jesus pray to the Father that all those whom the Father gave Him be with Him always? And departing from their sight was part of the answer to this fervent prayer of His. For by vanishing from their midst, Jesus became present in their very midst. His own Spirit, the Holy Spirit, the living Principle of His life and power, the very Breath of God, came not only upon but also into the hearts of His disciples even as Jesus went away. Letting go of Jesus was like the bitter pill the disciples had to take. It was, however, a bitter pill that gave them the sweet presence of the Holy Spirit in their hearts.
The truth hurts. It is like a bitter pill. Anyone who refuses to take it can never be healed. But one who takes it is healed and becomes a healer himself. Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
Have you taken the “truth pill” today?

I am scared of the truth, O Lord, because the truth often hurts. But only the truth can set me free. Hold me by the hand as I face the truth about myself and never leave me. Heal me and set me free, Jesus. Amen.

St. Catherine of Siena, virgin and doctor of the Church, pray for us.

----------

1st READING

Today is the feast of St. Catherine of Siena. She was a woman of tremendous faith who was never afraid to speak the truth whether to worldly or Church authorities. Undaunted, her sole desire was to give her life in the fulfillment of God’s will. In the reading we find that Paul and Silas are under attack from the people in Philippi, but they do not despair. Today’s Church is in need of more people like these.

Acts 16: 22- 34
22 The crowd joined in the attack on them, and the magistrates had them stripped and ordered them to be beaten with rods. 23 After inflicting many blows on them, they threw them into prison and instructed the jailer to guard them securely. 24 When he received these instructions, he put them in the innermost cell and secured their feet to a stake. 25 About midnight, while Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God as the prisoners listened, 26 there was suddenly such a severe earthquake that the foundations of the jail shook; all the doors flew open, and the chains of all were pulled loose. 27 When the jailer woke up and saw the prison doors wide open, he drew [his] sword and was about to kill himself, thinking that the prisoners had escaped. 28 But Paul shouted out in a loud voice, “Do no harm to yourself; we are all here.” 29 He asked for a light and rushed in and, trembling with fear, he fell down before Paul and Silas. 30 Then he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you and your household will be saved.” 32 So they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to everyone in his house. 33 He took them in at that hour of the night and bathed their wounds; then he and all his family were baptized at once. 34 He brought them up into his house and provided a meal and with his household rejoiced at having come to faith in God.

P S A L M

Psalm 138: 1- 2ab, 2cde-3 , 7c-8
R: Your right hand saves me, O Lord.
1 I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart, for you have heard the words of my mouth; in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise; 2 I will worship at your holy temple and give thanks to your name. (R) Because of your kindness and your truth; for you have made great above all things your name and your promise. 3 When I called, you answered me; you built up strength within me. (R) 7 Your right hand saves me. 8 The LORD will complete what he has done for me; your kindness, O LORD, endures forever; forsake not the work of your hands. (R)

G O S P E L

There is always a positive aspect to most, if not all, negative events in life. When a loved one dies there is always grief and sorrow. However, there should also be thanksgiving for a life of blessing lived as well as joy in knowing that person has moved on to eternal life with God. Jesus reminds His disciples not to despair when He leaves them, but to look forward to the coming of the Holy Spirit.

John 16:5-11
5 “Now I am going to the one who sent me, and not one of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6 But because I told you this, grief has filled your hearts. 7 But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go. For if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes he will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation: 9 sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see me; 11 condemnation, because the ruler of this world has been condemned.

my reflections
think:What blessings have come out of my negative experiences?

May
Thursday

Feast of St. Joseph the worker

TOUGH ACT FOR CONRAD

“A prophet is respected everywhere except in his hometown and by his own family.” – Matthew 13:57

My friend Conrad (not his real name) recently became a lay minister. Now 52, he and his wife, Emily, have three teenage kids. Ten years before he became a lay minister, Conrad hardly went to church. He smoked, drank heavily, swore a lot, and sometimes bullied his children.
Then one day, Conrad and Emily were invited to attend a Life in the Spirit Seminar and they were spiritually renewed. Conrad stopped smoking and drinking, dropped the bad words and struggled to be a better father. He was a changed man. On the first Sunday that he served as a lay minister, his children, though proud of their father, hesitated to receive Holy Communion from him. “Coming from Dad, the host might not be effective,” they said in jest. Well, if it would console Conrad, he is not the first person to suffer such a rejection. In today’s Gospel, Jesus, who never had to clean up His act, was rejected by His own family. So to all the Conrads out there, remain faithful to your ministry.
Rejection will come and go, but God’s acceptance is forever. Bo Sanchez

REFLECTION:
When the going gets tough, the tough remain faithful.

Lord, when I am rejected, cheer me up.

------------------

THE VALUE OF WORK

May 1, “Labor Day,” was instituted in 1889. It is a red-letter day for Communism. As a system of thought and analysis that developed in reaction to the Industrial Revolution in Europe, Communism wanted to underline the fact that given a number of people who invested capital on machines that increased productivity and trade, the laborers who man the machines and the industries remain to be vital contributors to productivity. Therefore, they argued that profits should not just be for the capital owners. Aside from the day wages that is due to them, the manual laborers must be part sharers of the profit.
In 1955, Pope Pius XII established the feast of Saint Joseph the Worker to coincide with Labor Day. This gesture shows how the Church also values the basic rights of workers. In the Gospel, we can see how, even during the time of Jesus and His legal father Joseph, there was the tendency to belittle manual labor. Initially impressed by Jesus’ eloquent and authoritative teaching, the people later remarked: “Where did this man get such wisdom and mighty deeds? Is He not the carpenter’s son?”
While the Communists define the value of labor in terms of political and economic considerations, the Church invites us to appreciate labor and work in terms of the following values:
l VOCATION – Through labor and work, we give meaning to our existence. We realize that we are not just here to waste time and to occupy space. We have a unique role to play; we have contributions to make in our world.
l STEWARDSHIP – Through labor and work, we show the highest accountability for all the talents and abilities that nature and education endowed on us.
l SERVICE – Through our labor and work, we employ our talents and abilities not only to make a living, but to meet the needs of others.Fr. Domie Guzman

Reflection Question:
What work are you engaged in? What keeps you going in your work? What sense of meaning do you find in your work?

Lord, give me the grace to value the work I do. May my labor always glorify You.

St. Andeolus, martyr, pray for us.

----------

1st READING

Today we celebrate the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker. It would be good for us to remember the plight of workers and laborers throughout the world, particularly those who are not paid a just wage for their labors. Let us all pray for justice in the workplace —a fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work. Employers ought to ponder on this as they will also be required to give an account of their practices on the Last Day.

Acts 18:1-8
1 Paul left Athens and went to Corinth. 2 There he met a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla because Claudius had ordered all the Jews to leave Rome. He went to visit them 3 and, because he practiced the same trade, stayed with them and worked, for they were tentmakers by trade. 4 Every sabbath, he entered into discussions in the synagogue, attempting to convince both Jews and Greeks. 5 When Silas and Timothy came down from Macedonia, Paul began to occupy himself totally with preaching the word, testifying to the Jews that the Messiah was Jesus. 6 When they opposed him and reviled him, he shook out his garments and said to them, “Your blood be on your heads! I am clear of responsibility. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.” 7 So he left there and went to a house belonging to a man named Titus Justus, a worshiper of God; his house was next to a synagogue. 8 Crispus, the synagogue official, came to believe in the Lord along with his entire household, and many of the Corinthians who heard believed and were baptized.

P S A L M

Psalm 98:1, 2-3ab, 3cd-4
R: The Lord has revealed to the nations his saving power.
1 Sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done wondrous deeds; his right hand has won victory for him, his holy arm. (R) 2 The LORD has made his salvation known in the sight of the nations he has revealed his justice. 3 He has remembered his kindness and his faithfulness toward the house of Israel. (R) All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation by our God. 4 Sing joyfully to the LORD, all you lands; break into song; sing praise. (R)

G O S P E L

Sometimes we tend to ignore the plight of those in need—either because we are ignorant or we fail to realize the full significance of a their suffering. This is not a valid excuse in our time of rapid world communication. If we are aware that a multinational company does not enforce fair work-practices in its factories then we have a moral obligation to shun their products. This may be inconvenient to us but it is better than profiting from the injustices imposed upon others.

John 16:16-20 (or Matthew 13:54-58)
16 “A little while and you will no longer see me, and again a little while later and you will see me.” 17 So some of his disciples said to one another, “What does this mean that he is saying to us, ‘A little while and you will not see me, and again a little while and you will see me,’ and ‘Because I am going to the Father’?” 18 So they said, “What is this ‘little while’ [of which he speaks]? We do not know what he means.” 19 Jesus knew that they wanted to ask him, so he said to them, “Are you discussing with one another what I said, ‘A little while and you will not see me, and again a little while and you will see me’? 20 Amen, amen, I say to you, you will weep and mourn, while the world rejoices; you will grieve, but your grief will become joy.”

my reflections
think:What can I do to battle injustice?
Deuteronomy 15-18

MAY 2, 2008

A BIRTHDAY GIFT

“Whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you.” – John 16:23

It was my birthday and the food we were preparing caused unexpected delays. I tried hard not to panic but I really, really wanted to reach the 6 p.m. Mass at our parish.
As the car sped to our destination, I decided to abandon my worries, tell God my heart’s desire of not being late for Mass, and trust that He would grant it.
I wish I could say that the traffic parted like the Red Sea. But that’s not what happened.
When I took the first step towards the church, I heard the tinkling bells that signaled the start of the Mass.
When I entered the church’s doors, the organist started the intro for the entrance song.
And before the song ended, I was in my usual seat singing my heart out to the Lord. A minor miracle but one that filled my heart with so much joy! Imagine, a great and powerful God chose to grant His little servant’s trivial wish. That’s how generous our Lord is! Cecil Lim

REFLECTION:
No wish is too trivial if we truly want to seek God.

You overwhelm me with Your generosity, Lord. Thank you so much!

--------------

1st READING

Paul is clear about Christians not being required to submit themselves to the Jewish Law. They must first consider whether the Laws still apply to them under the new dispensation introduced through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Displeased by this, the Jewish authorities begin a small persecution of the new Christian Community slowly establishing itself in Corinth. It is important that Christians today stand up for the truth even if the world powers do not like it.

Acts 18:9-18
9 One night in a vision the Lord said to Paul, “Do not be afraid. Go on speaking, and do not be silent, 10 for I am with you. No one will attack and harm you, for I have many people in this city.” 11 He settled there for a year and a half and taught the word of God among them. 12 But when Gallio was proconsul of Achaia, the Jews rose up together against Paul and brought him to the tribunal, 13 saying, “This man is inducing people to worship God contrary to the law.” 14 When Paul was about to reply, Gallio spoke to the Jews, “If it were a matter of some crime or malicious fraud, I should with reason hear the complaint of you Jews; 15 but since it is a question of arguments over doctrine and titles and your own law, see to it yourselves. I do not wish to be a judge of such matters.” 16 And he drove them away from the tribunal. 17 They all seized Sosthenes, the synagogue official, and beat him in full view of the tribunal. But none of this was of concern to Gallio. 18 Paul remained for quite some time, and after saying farewell to the brothers he sailed for Syria, together with Priscilla and Aquila. At Cenchreae he had his hair cut because he had taken a vow.

P S A L M

Psalm 47:2-3, 4-5, 6-7
R: God is king of all the earth.
1 [2] All you peoples, clap your hands, shout to God with cries of gladness, 2 [3] For the LORD, the Most High, the awesome, is the great king over all the earth. (R) 3 [4] He brings peoples under us; nations under our feet. 4 [5] He chooses for us our inheritance, the glory of Jacob, whom he loves. (R) 5 [6] God mounts his throne amid shouts of joy; the LORD, amid trumpet blasts. 6 [7] Sing praise to God, sing praise; sing praise to our king, sing praise. (R)

G O S P E L

There is sometimes a cost to pay when we commit ourselves to a particular cause or way of life. Rarely in today’s world can anyone get something for nothing in return. This is also true, in one sense of the Gospel. Salvation is free. However, in response to the Gospel values imbued in us, we are called to be committed to follow God’s will. Jesus specifically said that following Him will mean taking up our crosses and persevering with them.

John 16:20-23
20 “Amen, amen, I say to you, you will weep and mourn, while the world rejoices; you will grieve, but your grief will become joy. 21 When a woman is in labor, she is in anguish because her hour has arrived; but when she has given birth to a child, she no longer remembers the pain because of her joy that a child has been born into the world. 22 So you also are now in anguish. But I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you. 23 On that day you will not question me about anything. Amen, amen, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you.”

my reflections
think: Do I stand up for Jesus in my life?

-------------

HOLD ON

Reading and re-reading our Gospel passage for today, I can hear Jesus saying to the first disciples and to us: “Patience. Wait till the end. Hold your fire.” Our human nature has not changed much since 2,000 years ago. We are an impatient lot. We want action that leads to quick, right results. We hate failures, setbacks, and delays. Jesus, who is truly God and truly human, knows these ways of human nature. Hence, Jesus was cautioning the Twelve in the course of the Last Supper: His Passion is about to start; the disciples will surely weep and grieve. However, they must learn to wait. On the third day there will be rejoicing that will make the disciples forget all their woes and tears. The end is victory, new birth, and resurrection. In the meantime, Jesus can only describe everything in the limited human language. The disciples will have to wait and stretch their patience. They will have to experience everything, go through everything. Then they can talk and proclaim the Good News in its totality.
Today’s saint, St. Athanasius of Egypt, was one who knew the words of the Gospel through his personal experience. After his theological studies, and owing to his brilliance, he became secretary of the Bishop of Alexandria whom he succeeded in 328 AD. As bishop, he defended the true faith in the equal dignity and divinity of Jesus with God the Father during a time when heretical Arians seemed to overrun the Church. Heretical Arians who denied the Divinity of Jesus even made it to top positions in the hierarchy. But Athanasius was steadfast in his orthodoxy. He weathered several assassination attempts on him. He was removed five times as bishop, and each time he was exiled. His exile took what could have been 17 active and fruitful years in ministry. In 364, Saint Athanasius was finally re-installed as bishop in Alexandria. He was aptly accorded the title “Great Champion of the Church . ” Fr. Domie Guzman

Reflection Question:
Recall a personal experience when your long patience and waiting paid off. Pray for an increase of your virtue of patience.

Lord, thank You for the grace to endure in faith as I struggle through life. May I be patient in waiting for Your will to be fulfilled.

St. Athanasius, bishop and doctor of the Church, pray for us.

May
Sunday

PENTECOST SUNDAY

HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD

And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in different tongues. – Acts 2:4

During a mission trip to Vancouver, our hosts told us that God gave us a chance to rest first and have some form of recreation. So they toured us around the city.
I will never forget our day on Grouse Mountain. Grouse Mountain is the peak of Vancouver, just 15 minutes away from downtown, but with a 1,250-feet elevation. The place is fantastic. From the top, we could see the entire city, the mountains and the sea. Coming down from the spectacular spot, we had an additional treat — a cable car ride.
I noticed that all who were riding our car had a different nationality. People spoke in their own language. It reminded me of the scene at Pentecost. I felt like I was in the Upper Room with the disciples of Jesus experiencing the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, and everybody was speaking in tongues! It was a bit strange hearing all the unfamiliar sounds, but something deep inside me knew that everybody spoke of the beauty of God’s creation.
I looked outside, saw the splendor of God’s work and let my own spirit sing: “How great is our God, sing with me. How great is our God, all will see how great, how great is our God….” Arun Gogna

REFLECTION:
Let your heart sing today of how great the Lord is in your life.

Thank You, Lord, that I can speak and sing to You. Amen.

-------------

MORE THAN RELEASING A DOVE

Why are doves released during weddings? Most of the time, the response I got to my queries are shoulder shrugs and long stares. Some people sometimes manage to mumble incoherent and confusing explanations. Well, I am sure there could have been a very good explanation for this wedding ritual. It is just that along the way, the stories of origin and significance have been lost. The ritual was carried through and passed on without much thought about its true meaning. This is, of course, sad.
How about Pentecost? We know it to be the commemoration of Jesus’ release of the promised Holy Spirit to His apostles. In Christian art, this Holy Spirit has been portrayed as a dove. What difference does this have with the wedding ceremony of releasing doves?
The Church has always proclaimed in her kerygmatic — her core teaching — that the heart of the life of Jesus was His passion, death and resurrection. And in the Church’s renewed appreciation of the liturgy, the Church sustains that Pentecost, not Ascension Sunday, is the end of the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus. Sacred Scriptures is witness to this: that the end of Jesus’ ministry was that He might send us the Holy Spirit. The latest and most reflective of the Gospels – St. John’s – testifies that during Jesus’ last moments on the Cross, He did not only breathe His last — Jesus “handed over His spirit” (John 19:30). And when His sacred side was finally pierced, “immediately blood and water flowed out” (John 19:34).
The Holy Spirit is more than a dove. The Holy Spirit is the breath of the Father and the Son; He is the love without end between the Father and the Son. Therefore He is God as the Father and the Son, the power and dynamism of the Trinity. This is then what Pentecost brings us: the opening of heaven, the empowerment of every Christian with the very life and power of God. Pentecost is then known as our birthday as a Church — a community of believers charged and empowered to continue the task of Jesus. Fr. Domie Guzman

Reflection Question:
As you make your prayer time today, spend a good time asking Jesus for a renewal of the anointing of the Holy Spirit.

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful and enkindle in us the fire of Your love.

Blessed Albert of Bergamo, Dominican tertiary, pray for us.

-------------------

1st READING

Mary is with the disciples at Pentecost. As Mother of the Church, it is appropriate for her to be there. Having given birth to the Son of God, He also chose her to be present at the birth of the Church. As we celebrate the coming of the Holy Spirit today, let us be aware that we stand in a tradition of God’s work with a people who are His own. It is our privilege and responsibility to carry on that work.

Acts 2:1-11
1 When the time for Pentecost was fulfilled, they were all in one place together. 2 And suddenly there came from the sky a noise like a strong driving wind, and it filled the entire house in which they were. 3 Then there appeared to them tongues as of fire, which parted and came to rest on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the holy Spirit and began to speak in different tongues, as the Spirit enabled them to proclaim. 5 Now there were devout Jews from every nation under heaven staying in Jerusalem. 6 At this sound, they gathered in a large crowd, but they were confused because each one heard them speaking in his own language. 7 They were astounded, and in amazement they asked, “Are not all these people who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how does each of us hear them in his own native language? 9 We are Parthians, Medes, and Elamites, inhabitants of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the districts of Libya near Cyrene, as well as travelers from Rome, 11 both Jews and converts to Judaism, Cretans and Arabs, yet we hear them speaking in our own tongues of the mighty acts of God.”

P S A L M

Psalm 104:1, 24, 29-30, 31, 34
R: Lord, send out your spirit, and renew the face of the earth.
1 Bless the LORD, O my soul! O LORD, my God, you are great indeed! 24 How manifold are your works, O LORD! The earth is full of your creatures. (R) 31 May the glory of the LORD endure forever; may the LORD be glad in his works! 34 Pleasing to him be my theme; I will be glad in the LORD. (R) 29 If you take away their breath, they perish and return to their dust. 30 When you send forth your spirit, they are created, and you renew the face of the earth. (R)

2nd READING

The gifts of the Holy Spirit are many and varied. In fact, lists of the gifts appear in the Scriptures several times, particularly in the writings of Paul. These gifts are to be used for building up the Body of Christ. No one has a monopoly on all or even any one of them. They work best when used within the context of the Christian community. Let us seek to be generous in how we share our gifts with others.

1 Corinthians 12:3b-7, 12-13
3 Brothers and sisters: No one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. 4 There are different kinds of spiritual gifts but the same Spirit; 5 there are different forms of service but the same Lord; 6 there are different workings but the same God who produces all of them in everyone. 7 To each individual the manifestation of the Spirit is given for some benefit. 12 As a body is one though it has many parts, and all the parts of the body, though many, are one body, so also Christ. 13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, slaves or free persons, and we were all given to drink of one Spirit.

G O S P E L

Jesus breathes the gift of the Spirit on His apostles. This act harks back to the scriptural text where the Spirit of God hovered over the chaos of the deep and brought forth the creation of the world. It give us an indication of the power of the Spirit who is being given to us. Through the Holy Spirit we partake in the power of God Himself — a preparation for union with Him in eternal life.

John 20:19-23
19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

my reflections
think:Am I generous with my spiritual gifts?

May
Thursday

REAL TREASURE

And He asked them, “But who do you say that I am?” – Mark 8:29

A woman knocked on our door asking for financial help. She said that their home was devastated by a fire in Malabon. I doubted her story but still I looked inside the house for some things I could give her as she waited outside our gate. I was still deciding what to give when the doorbell began to ring again and again. I thought it was the woman who couldn’t wait for my donation. The persistent doorbell reminded me of the importunate widow in the Bible who didn’t stop bugging the judge until she got what she wanted.
When I got outside, it was a collector who was ringing the doorbell. When I talked to the woman within hearing range of the collector, the latter validated the story of the fire because he heard about it in the news. I also learned that the woman lost her husband in the blaze. I shared Jesus with the widow and prayed for her before handing over some goods. Yes, at every chance I get I talk of my Lord and Savior. When people approach me for financial assistance, I’d give them Jesus first before the money. I would tell them to turn to Him, not just as Savior during their time of distress but as Lord as well. By doing that, I’m able to share with them my real Treasure. Donna España

REFLECTION:
Do you know enough of Jesus? Do you talk about Him without being timid?

Thank You for being Lord and Savior of my life. I will speak of Your glory at all times.

----------------------

1st READING

It is very difficult to live a life totally free of prejudice and bias. We all have difficulties in relating to at least a few people in our lives because we are not naturally attracted to them. It is not up to us whether that attraction exists or not. However, we can make a decision to love all men and women no matter who they are or what they might have done.

James 2:1-9
1 My brothers, show no partiality as you adhere to the faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ. 2 For if a man with gold rings on his fingers and in fine clothes comes into your assembly, and a poor person in shabby clothes also comes in, 3 and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say, “Sit here, please,” while you say to the poor one, “Stand there,” or “Sit at my feet,” 4 have you not made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil designs? 5 Listen, my beloved brothers. Did not God choose those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom that he promised to those who love him? 6 But you dishonored the poor person. Are not the rich oppressing you? And do they themselves not haul you off to court? 7 Is it not they who blaspheme the noble name that was invoked over you? 8 However, if you fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors.

P S A L M

Psalm 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7
R: The Lord hears the cry of the poor.
1 [2] I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall be ever in my mouth. 2 [3] Let my soul glory in the LORD; the lowly will hear me and be glad. (R) 3 [4] Glorify the LORD with me, let us together extol his name. 4 [5] I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. (R) 5 [6] Look to him that you may be radiant with joy, and your faces may not blush with shame. 6 [7] When the poor one called out, the LORD heard, and from all his distress he saved him. (R)

G O S P E L

Who do you say Jesus is for you? In answering this question honestly we will give ourselves an insight into the depth of our relationship with Jesus. Or maybe, we will realize that we are not really acting upon the truth we know — that Jesus is the Messiah and Son of God.

Mark 8:27-33
27 Jesus and his disciples set out for the villages of Caesarea Philippi. Along the way he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that I am?” 28 They said in reply, “John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others one of the prophets.” 29 And he asked them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter said to him in reply, “You are the Messiah.” 30 Then he warned them not to tell anyone about him. 31 He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and rise after three days. 32 He spoke this openly. Then Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. 33 At this he turned around and, looking at his disciples, rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do.”

my reflections
think:Who is Jesus to me?

--------------------

THE MESSIANIC SECRET

A number of times in the Gospel of Mark, Jesus instructed the disciples not to tell anyone about His being the Messiah. Our Reading today makes us understand things better. Peter knew who Jesus was in His intellect and in His words: “You are the Messiah.” However, His knowledge of Jesus stops there. He interprets Jesus’ mission as a Messiah according to His own human, self-serving, convenient and triumphal terms. Peter expected Jesus to be a sort of a political Messiah: a wielder and broker of power. Hence, when Jesus began talking about the mystery of the Cross as the pathway of his being Messiah, Peter would not want to believe, much less, to follow.
To be able to walk our talk is hard. Here, many teachers and preachers fail. However, to truly comprehend our talks and our words is even harder. Probably, this is why in the end, we talk but we never walk accordingly. We easily use words without reflecting what the words mean. More often than not, we use words – we employ words – according to our own interpretations.
When we say “God” and we pray to Him, do we really know who “God” is? When we say Jesus “my Messiah and King” do we really know what it means to address Jesus as such? When we sing, “I have decided to follow Jesus,” do we know from our hearts the consequences of this commitment? Fr. Domie Guzman

Reflection Question:
As you pray today, make it brief, but weigh and comprehend each word that you lift up to Jesus.

Lord, I need Your grace to understand and live out in my life the commitment I made to follow You.

St. Dymphna, virgin and martyr, pray for us.

Back
Top Bottom