Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

February
Tuesday

WHAT HAVE YOU bEEN TOLD?

Jesus paid no attention to what they said, but told him, “Don’t be afraid, only believe.” – Mark 5:36

Have you ever hoped against all hope?
Normally, real dreams and true aspirations that God has put in our hearts are tested by “voices” born out of our fragmented, wounded selves. Whenever we start out on a purpose that God has graciously entrenched and lovingly cultivated in us, these voices come out of the woodwork and rear their ugly heads, saying:
It’s too hard. You can’t do it. You aren’t good enough. It won’t work anyway, so why bother?
In today’s Gospel, Jairus is on his way to fulfill a desire — to have his daughter healed from a terrible sickness. But people within his own household began telling the synagogue official to give up hope, for his daughter has died.
But Jesus, aware of the deceit, remains steadfast in His love when he says, “Everything will be alright.”
Friends, if God is with us, who then, can be against us? In the midst of all the voices around you, listen to the silent, calming voice of the Lord that says, “Don’t be afraid, only believe.” Red Cerrer

REFLECTION:
Which voice do you listen to more often, the voice of the world or the voice of God?

Lord, teach me to believe in myself the way You believe in me.

St. Agatha, virgin and martyr, pray for us.
----------------

please only God

I am always on a lookout for possible youth leaders. As Youth Director of our diocese, I know that the future of the Church lies in the hands of the youth. I once met someone whom I gladly considered as a good find—an honor student, articulate, had a good way with people and a regular Sunday Mass-goer. I immediately persuaded him to consider active church involvement. My intuition was promptly justified as this young man showed real talent and flair in pushing for a real animated and operative ministry. I never realized that the whole time that he was serving the Church, pressure from his peers had been mounting. Suddenly, he just decided to call it quits. He told me, “My friends just couldn’t dig seeing me ‘holy.’” I did not fully understand what he went through but still I let him go.
“And they laughed at him ”—Ma r k describes the kind of response Jesus got from those who have come to witness one of His more spectacular miracles. I wonder how Jesus felt when people around mocked Him. All He came to do was to heal the child. But that appalling treatment did not stop Him from doing His mission.
We all go through many rough situations as we serve God. I am reminded of the struggles some seminarians have related to me. Some of them have been ridiculed with words like, “Magpapari ka? A baka bakla, walang hilig sa babae.” Some lay missionaries are labeled as fools for bringing their whole families in unchartered mission territories. Successful professionals were regarded as fools for turning their backs on their lucrative careers. Other “faithful” suffer the same fate, too.
Even if people laugh at us or mock us for doing things for God, always remember that we are not here to please people but God. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
How affected are we by what the world perceives our faith to be?

Lord, give me the grace to focus only on You, that I may not be discouraged when I’m “rejected” by the world because of You.

---------------

1st READING

David mourns the death of his son, Absalom, though it is most unlikely that the latter would have mourned his death. Even though Absalom had sought to kill him, David still has the love of a father for his son. Here we see the true heart of David, a heart after God himself. Here David displays a purity of heart we should all seek to imitate.

2 Samuel 18:9-10, 14b, 24-25a, 30-19:3
9 Absalom unexpectedly came up against David’s servants. He was mounted on a mule, and, as the mule passed under the branches of a large terebinth, his hair caught fast in the tree. He hung between heaven and earth while the mule he had been riding ran off. 10 Someone saw this and reported to Joab that he had seen Absalom hanging from a terebinth. 14 And taking three pikes in hand, he thrust for the heart of Absalom, still hanging from the tree alive. 24 Now David was sitting between the two gates, and a lookout mounted to the roof of the gate above the city wall, where he looked about and saw a man running all alone. 25 The lookout shouted to inform the king, who said, “If he is alone, he has good news to report.” As he kept coming nearer, 30 The king said, “Step aside and remain in attendance here.” So he stepped aside and remained there. 31 When the Cushite came in, he said, “Let my lord the king receive the good news that this day the LORD has taken your part, freeing you from the grasp of all who rebelled against you.” 32 But the king asked the Cushite, “Is young Absalom safe?” The Cushite replied, “May the enemies of my lord the king and all who rebel against you with evil intent be as that young man!” 19: 1 The king was shaken, and went up to the room over the city gate to weep. He said as he wept, “My son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you, Absalom, my son, my son!” 2 Joab was told that the king was weeping and mourning for Absalom; 3 and that day’s victory was turned into mourning for the whole army when they heard that the king was grieving for his son.

P S A L M

Psalm 86:1-2, 3-4, 5-6
R: Listen, Lord, and answer me.
1 Incline your ear, O LORD; answer me, for I am afflicted and poor. 2 Keep my life, for I am devoted to you; save your servant who trusts in you. You are my God. (R) 3 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for to you I call all the day. 4 Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. (R) 5 For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in kindness to all who call upon you. 6 Hearken, O LORD, to my prayer and attend to the sound of my pleading. (R)

G O S P E L

The woman with the hemorrhage believes that only to touch the clothes of Jesus will be sufficient to heal her. This demonstrates a remarkable depth of faith which is rewarded with her healing. The inclusion of her story within that of the healing of Jairus’s daughter tells us that it is faith such as this that God desires us all to have. It is faith such as this that can open the floodgates of the Lord’s blessings into our lives.

Mark 5:21-43
21 When Jesus had crossed again in the boat to the other side, a large crowd gathered around him, and he stayed close to the sea. 22 One of the synagogue officials, named Jairus, came forward. Seeing him he fell at his feet 23 and pleaded earnestly with him, saying, “My daughter is at the point of death. Please, come lay your hands on her that she may get well and live.” 24 He went off with him, and a large crowd followed him and pressed upon him. 25 There was a woman afflicted with hemorrhages for twelve years. 26 She had suffered greatly at the hands of many doctors and had spent all that she had. Yet she was not helped but only grew worse. 27 She had heard about Jesus and came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak. 28 She said, “If I but touch his clothes, I shall be cured.” 29 Immediately her flow of blood dried up. She felt in her body that she was healed of her affliction. 30 Jesus, aware at once that power had gone out from him, turned around in the crowd and asked, “Who has touched my clothes?” 31 But his disciples said to him, “You see how the crowd is pressing upon you, and yet you ask, ‘Who touched me?’ ” 32 And he looked around to see who had done it. 33 The woman, realizing what had happened to her, approached in fear and trembling. She fell down before Jesus and told him the whole truth. 34 He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has saved you. Go in peace and be cured of your affliction.” 35 While he was still speaking, people from the synagogue official’s house arrived and said, “Your daughter has died; why trouble the teacher any longer?” 36 Disregarding the message that was reported, Jesus said to the synagogue official, “Do not be afraid; just have faith.” 37 He did not allow anyone to accompany him inside except Peter, James, and John, the brother of James. 38 When they arrived at the house of the synagogue official, he caught sight of a commotion, people weeping and wailing loudly. 39 So he went in and said to them, “Why this commotion and weeping? The child is not dead but asleep.” 40 And they ridiculed him. Then he put them all out. He took along the child’s father and mother and those who were with him and entered the room where the child was. 41 He took the child by the hand and said to her, “Talitha koum,” 104 which means, “Little girl, I say to you, arise!” 42 The girl, a child of twelve, arose immediately and walked around. [At that] they were utterly astounded. 43 He gave strict orders that no one should know this and said that she should be given something to eat.

my reflections
think:God desires us to have faith like that of the woman with the hemorrhage. It is faith such as this that can open the floodgates of the Lord’s blessings into our lives.

GETTING TO KNOW THE SAINTS

Saint Valentine

The story of Valentine’s Day dates back to the third century.

Under Emperor Claudius of Rome, men were expected to volunteer and join the army to fight in wars. Unfortunately, many did not join because of the pain of leaving their wives and children. Emperor Claudius thought that if these men were not married, they would not mind joining the army; thus, he forbade marriage throughout his kingdom.

However, a priest by the name of Valentine did not follow this new ordinance. He continued to marry couples secretly. One night in a wedding ceremony, Fr. Valentine was arrested, put into prison and was sentenced to death. The priest, despite his condition, remained cheerful as young people came to visit, throw flowers and notes, and show support in his belief in love. One of these young people was the daughter of a prison guard. She would often visit and talk with him for hours. Thus, on the day of his execution, February 14, 269, the priest left his new friend a short note, thanking her for the friendship and loyalty. The note read, “Love from your Valentine.”

Thus, every year on February 14, young people, especially couples, remember St. Valentine’s sacrifice for love and friendship.

www.pictureframes.co.uk

SaintS fauStinuS and JoVita

Faustinus and Jovita, patrons of the city of Brescia, were brothers of noble birth. They preached Christianity fearlessly and zealously that the heathen lord Julian ordered for their arrest. The two were tortured and dragged from Brescia to Milan, Rome and Naples, then back to Brescia. After which, both brothers were beheaded in 121 A.D. at Brescia, Lombardy, Italy.

www.saintpatrickdc.org

www.catholic.org

Saint Walfrid della gheradeSCa

Walfrid della Gheradesca belonged to a wealthy family in Pisa, Italy. He was the eldest of five children. The man also had five or six children of his own.

Walfrid and his wife agreed to put up separate Benedictine monasteries in Pisa. He found his abbey of Palazzuolo with two other married men. His daughter Rattruda and son Gimfrid also joined the foundations. It was even recorded in the Acta Sanctorum that after 10 years of ruling the abbey, Gimfrid succeeded his father in the administration of the abbey.

There was no exact report on the death of Walfrid but legend has it that the saint and his wife died on February 15, 765 and were buried together.

www.saintpatrickdc.org

February
Thursday
---------------

THE CHOiCES WE MAkE

“I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. Choose life, then, that you and your descendants may live...” – Deuteronomy 30:19

I know of a father who is unemployed. Instead of providing for his family, it’s his wife who is the breadwinner. Most days of the week, you’ll find him attending prayer meetings around Metro Manila and other parts of Luzon. I said attending because he doesn’t preach or carry out any significant service in those gatherings.
Meanwhile, he and his family struggle to make ends meet.
I’m sure this husband and his wife constantly pray for the blessings and provisions of the Lord. I’m sure they faithfully give their tithes and offerings to the Lord. I’m sure the Lord is pleased with their devotion to Him.
But I think there’s something this brother is lacking in. Action.
We cannot expect God to do for us what He already equipped us to do. He’s given us the talents and skills we need to make a living. If we don’t use it, then that’s our problem. And if we think that praying can substitute for working so that we can have enough to provide for our families, then there’s something flawed in our theology.
God has given us the power to choose our lot. What choices are you making? Rissa Singson-Kawpeng
REFLECTION:
Are my negative circumstances a product of my choice?

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

----------------------------------

taKe up your Cross daily

Yesterday was a day of fasting and abstinence. While different people provide various reasons and allude many meanings to these disciplines, they are actually meant to facilitate our entry into this sacred season and make us seriously reflect on the suffering and death of Christ.
Jesus says in today’s Gospel, “Take up your cross DAILY and follow me.” A priest friend once gave me a list of daily sacrifices that one can do for each of the 40 days of Lent. It was a literal but novel take on what Jesus is telling us in today’sGospel.
Think of an act of self-denial today and on each of the other days in Lent. Say, Day 2: No softdrinks. Day 3: No morning and afternoon snacks. Day 4: Visit your Mom and Dad and spend at least four hours with them. Day 5: Approach the priest and other Ministers of the Mass and express your appreciation for presiding in the Mass (priest), for proclaiming the Word (Lectors), for handing Communion (Lay Ministers), etc. Day 6: Leave anonymous letters of gratitude or letters of appreciation to five of your officemates. Day 7: Smile at everyone you get to meet this whole day, from the elevator man to your boss. Make a list that would cover the entire season of Lent.
While the command of Jesus is far deeper than these “daily” precepts that I am suggesting, still these are far more profound than simply skipping lunch or sleeping without a pillow. We all know that Christ wants us to carry our own crosses like a father who does his duties to his family faithfully, or taking up one’s cross daily as a bank worker by doing his job diligently and honestly, etc.
This list can go on and on but the essential thing is whatever way we choose to carry our daily crosses we do it because we wish to be one with Christ. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
What “cross” is Jesus asking you to carry this season of Lent?

Jesus, You showed us how lovingly You carried the cross for our sake. May we be moved to do the same for You.

St. Richard, king, pray for us.

---------------------------

1st READING

The author of this text exhorts us to cleave to the Lord. This means to cling to Him and to seek refuge in Him whenever we are in need. The choices we make at the critical points of our lives will clearly indicate to us the depth of commitment we have to our faith. If we cleave to the Lord at these times, well and good. If we rely upon our own strength then we are lining ourselves up for trials.

Deuteronomy 30:15-20
15 Moses said to the people: “Today I have set before you life and prosperity, death and doom. 16 If you obey the commandments of the LORD, your God, which I enjoin on you today, loving him, and walking in his ways, and keeping his commandments, statutes and decrees, you will live and grow numerous, and the LORD, your God, will bless you in the land you are entering to occupy. 17 If, however, you turn away your hearts and will not listen, but are led astray and adore and serve other gods, 18 I tell you now that you will certainly perish; you will not have a long life on the land which you are crossing the Jordan to enter and occupy. 19 I call heaven and earth today to witness against you: I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. Choose life, then, that you and your descendants may live, 20 by loving the LORD, your God, heeding his voice, and holding fast to him. For that will mean life for you, a long life for you to live on the land which the LORD swore he would give to your fathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.”

P S A L M

Psalm 1:1-2, 3, 4 and 6
R: Blessed are they who hope in the Lord.
1 Blessed the man who follows not the counsel of the wicked nor walks in the way of sinners, nor sits in the company of the insolent, 2 but delights in the law of the LORD and meditates on his law day and night. (R) 3 He is like a tree planted near running water, that yields its fruit in due season, and whose leaves never fade. Whatever he does, prospers. (R) 4 Not so the wicked, not so; they are like chaff which the wind drives away. 6 For the LORD watches over the way of the just, but the way of the wicked vanishes. (R)

G O S P E L

Life is a constant series of decisions where we have to play one seeming priority against another. Sometimes this is a true description of our situation but most of the time it is not. Often, we fool ourselves into believing that the choice we face is a difficult one of two equal goods. Let us be honest with ourselves and face the truth that, at times, our fleshly desires are stronger than our quest for the truth.

Luke 9:22-25
22 Jesus said to his disciples, “The Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and on the third day be raised.” 23 Then he said to all, “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. 25 What profit is there for one to gain the whole world yet lose or forfeit himself?

my reflections
think: The choices we make at the critical points of our lives will clearly indicate to us the depth of commitment we have to our faith. If we cleave to the Lord at these times, well and good.

God’s special verse/thought for me today________________

T O D A Y ’ S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: ____________________________________

February
Friday
------------------

PROOF OF LiFE

Then you shall be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness. – Psalm 51:19

My friend Rene always says, “I pray the Rosary every day. In fact, I pray every time I have to wait for my wife as she shops.” Often, he would boast of his prayer time — how long it is and how often he does it. When I hear this, I cannot help but squirm.
I met Rene in high school. He came from a poor family but through hard work, determination and shrewdness, he is now a millionaire. In his business, he handles all his accounting books so he can hide how much he earns. His employees are underpaid. He pirates business deals from friends. He overprices, gives bad service and has no scruples in supplying his client with poor materials, as long as they don’t notice. In other words, he always puts one over another just to earn a buck.
Yesterday, he told me about a friend of ours whose business had gone sour. He also lost his wife to cancer and his house burned down. Rene reasoned that the string of calamities befell our friend because he never prayed. He also said that this is why he always gives time to pray many times during the day.
I wonder if God is pleased with Rene’s offering. Is it a sacrifice of righteousness? Chelle Crisanto

REFLECTION:
The proof is in the pudding. What does your life prove?

Lord, let my life be a living proof of my relationship with You.
---------------

the truth aBout fastinG

People fast for different reasons. There are those who have discovered the health benefits of fasting so they do it to be in good physical shape. Others on the vain side know of the aesthetic benefits of it; they fast to fit in their sexy outfits. But there are those who do it for purely altruistic ends—they fast so that others can eat.
We are familiar with this situation which I am sure we may have somehow experienced in our own families: mothers getting meager portions at table and letting the children get the lion’s share or foregoing meals altogether just so the children can have their fill.
Fasting has religious dimensions. In our church we fast to somehow experience the sacrificial suffering of Christ and be in solidarity with Him. As we are told in our catechetical classes, we continue or fill up whatever is lacking in the suffering of Christ with our own suffering on earth. We fast also in solidarity with all the hungry people in the world, those who have few or those who have not been as privileged as we. We fast because we know that by denying ourselves of food and things we are able to prevent over consumption or excessive lifestyle knowing that such excess results to other people not getting even the basic things one needs to live a decent life.
Denying oneself of food disciplines the body. It trains the egocentric self to get out of its self-serving design that it can get whatever it wants. This way it becomes a means by which one learns a potent lesson in this life. And if seriously observed can surely help in achieving the next. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Do we fast for the right reasons?

Lord, fasting is a valuable lesson we need to learn that we may experience even a little of Your sacrificial suffering on the cross. Give us the grace to learn it well.

St. Jerome Emiliani, priest, pray for us.

-------------------

1st READING

The herald who brings correction to a wayward people is often ignored and even persecuted at times. Look at the lives of the Old Testament prophets if you doubt me. True humility of heart means always being willing to listen to correction brought by a good spirit and being ready to respond with repentance if necessary. Let us pray that we will have humble and teachable hearts in the presence of the Word of God.

Isaiah 58:1-9a
1 Cry out full-throated and unsparingly, lift up your voice like a trumpet blast; tell my people their wickedness, and the house of Jacob their sins. 2 They seek me day after day, and desire to know my ways, like a nation that has done what is just and not abandoned the law of their God; they ask me to declare what is due them, pleased to gain access to God. 3 “Why do we fast, and you do not see it? Afflict ourselves, and you take no note of it?” Lo, on your fast day you carry out your own pursuits, and drive all your laborers. 4 Yes, your fast ends in quarreling and fighting, striking with wicked claw. Would that today you might fast so as to make your voice heard on high! 5 Is this the manner of fasting I wish, of keeping a day of penance that a man bow his head like a reed, and lie in sackcloth and ashes? Do you call this a fast, a day acceptable to the LORD? 6 This, rather, is the fasting that I wish: releasing those bound unjustly, untying the thongs of the yoke; setting free the oppressed, breaking every yoke; 7 sharing your bread with the hungry, sheltering the oppressed and the homeless; clothing the naked when you see them, and not turning your back on your own. 8 Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your wound shall quickly be healed; your vindication shall go before you, and the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard. 9 Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer, you shall cry for help, and he will say, Here I am!

P S A L M

Psalm 51:3-4, 5-6ab, 18-19
R: A heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.
1 [3] Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness; in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense. 2 [4] Thoroughly wash me from my guilt and of my sin cleanse me. (R) 3 [5] For I acknowledge my offense, and my sin is before me always. 4 [6] “Against you only have I sinned, and done what is evil in your sight.” (R) 16 [18] For you are not pleased with sacrifices; should I offer a burnt offering, you would not accept it. 17 [19] My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit; a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn. (R)

G O S P E L

Let us embrace the call to fast during this Lent as a sign of our willingness to pay the cost of growing in holiness as disciples of Jesus. We often hear talk about self-denial but do we practice it? What can we give up this Lent as a sign of our desire to grow deeper in our relationship with Christ? Self-denial is something that helps us to keep a good balance in our lives between our desires and what we know will help us grow in the spiritual life.

Matthew 9:14-15
14 The disciples of John approached him and said, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast much, but your disciples do not fast?” 15 Jesus answered them, “Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast.”

my reflections
think: True humility of heart means always being willing to listen to correction brought by a good spirit and being ready to respond with repentance if necessary.

February
Saturday
-------------

BISAYA

“Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” – Luke 5:30

“Ay, Bisaya din po kayo?” the security guard asked. That started my acquaintance with our building’s elderly security guard. As he opened himself to me, I found in him a friend who helps me out in my many questions about my new residence and the city.
There are advantages to being Bisaya in Manila. Many helpers, guards and utility workers in different areas in the city are from the Visayas. And because I can speak the dialect and can relate to them, I get friendly service and inside information, too.
For a time, when I was younger, I didn’t like to trumpet my being Bisaya. Some people look down on us and find our Tagalog funny. But I have learned to accept myself. Now I speak Bisaya when I see a fellow Bisaya, even if people stare.
Sometimes, we want to be better than we are, thinking we become more acceptable by doing so. But Jesus didn’t come down from heaven for a perfect humanity. He came for sinners. So don’t worry if you don’t come from a buena familia or other acceptable categories in society. Jesus still came for you. Joy Sosoban

REFLECTION:
“Though he was in the form of God, he did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.” (Philippians 2:6)

Grant me the grace to look at people the way You do.
---------------------------

help others ChanGe for the Better

Ten years in the ministry and I am still finding ways how to perfect my ministerial work as far as building up community is concerned. But come to think of it, can it really be achieved? But sometimes I really can not help but recoil in desperation whenever people under my care become hostile to one another or engage themselves in skirmishes even for petty things. As a result, people come out of such conflicts sore, scarred and indignant.
A likely consequence is that people go on with their work oblivious of their enemies. They treat them as if they don’t exist. And making the situation worse, the offenders earn the ire even of the tacit witnesses to the conflict. By virtue of their own assessment and judgment, even non-participants in the conflict get themselves into the picture by easily ostracizing whom they perceive as the guilty parties—their way of sympathizing with the victims. While it is natural to side with the victims, I believe more understanding and indulgence must be extended to the ones who have done wrong.
This is perhaps what Jesus has in mind when He says, “I have come to call not the righteous but sinners to repentance.” For truly, we need to work even more diligently in winning back people who have been astray. When we turn our backs on them the more will they hold on to their dismal ways. Stretching our patience and extending our understanding will surely go a long way in helping them, trusting that as we become accepting and indulgent to them they will change for the better. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Have we given up on those who are difficult to love?

In spite of my sins, You never give up on me, Jesus. May I also extend to other sinners
like me the kind of perservering love You show me.

St. Apollonia, virgin and martyr, pray for us.
-----------------------

1st READING

It is the little people in the eyes of the world that seem to have a special place, even preference, in the heart of God. Why is this so? I think one of the reasons is that they are teachable. They are willing to admit they need His help and are thus easier to teach and lead into the way of holiness. Let us pray for the grace of humility and teachability of heart and mind so that we will more readily grow closer to God.

Isaiah 58:9b-14
9 If you remove from your midst oppression, false accusation and malicious speech; 10 if you bestow your bread on the hungry and satisfy the afflicted; then light shall rise for you in the darkness, and the gloom shall become for you like midday; 11 then the LORD will guide you always and give you plenty even on the parched land. He will renew your strength, and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring whose water never fails. 12 The ancient ruins shall be rebuilt for your sake, and the foundations from ages past you shall raise up; “Repairer of the breach,” they shall call you, “Restorer of ruined homesteads.” 13 If you hold back your foot on the sabbath from following your own pursuits on my holy day; if you call the sabbath a delight, and the LORD’s holy day honorable; if you honor it by not following your ways, seeking your own interests, or speaking with malice — 14 Then you shall delight in the LORD, and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth; I will nourish you with the heritage of Jacob, your father, for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

P S A L M

Psalm 86:1-2, 3-4, 5-6
R: Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth.
1 Incline your ear, O LORD; answer me, for I am afflicted and poor. 2 Keep my life, for I am devoted to you; save your servant who trusts in you. You are my God. (R) 3 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for to you I call all the day. 4 Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. (R) 5 For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in kindness to all who call upon you. 6 Hearken, O LORD, to my prayer and attend to the sound of my pleading. (R)

G O S P E L

God could not care less about what you have done in your past as long as you repent of your sins. He calls all of us to serve Him in the work of His Kingdom. No, we will not all be priests or even missionaries but we will all have a part to play in the work of evangelization and the many aspects of this call. Let us pray that we will embrace His call willingly whatever it may be.

Luke 5:27-32
27 Jesus saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at the customs post. He said to him, “Follow me.” 28 And leaving everything behind, he got up and followed him. 29 Then Levi gave a great banquet for him in his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were at table with them. 30 The Pharisees and their scribes complained to his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” 31 Jesus said to them in reply, “Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do. 32 I have not come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners.”

my reflections
think: He calls all of us to serve Him in the work of His Kingdom. No, we will not all be priests or even missionaries but we will all have a part to play in the work of evangelization and the many aspects of this call.

February
Monday

---------------

the Way to Jesus’ heart

It is common to find large billboards along roads or in front of edifices declaring that such projects have been made through the initiative of this or that politician. Such practice is not limited to government projects though. When one enters a church he cannot miss well-olished brass tags on images of saints or on pews stating who donated them. Most of us admire those people who share their riches to the church, or, to others, for that matter. We sometimes think that those people have already ‘’bought’’ their way to the people’s heart or even to heaven. Our admiration thus leads to wishful longing. So we say, “If I become Mayor, I would also make…” or, “If I become rich, I will donate…” Today’s Gospel presents a different point of view as regards winning the heart not just of men but of God. Jesus has made the road to His heart available to everybody, even to the simplest people.
Jesus outlines them so clearly: Feed the hungry. Give water to the thirsty. Clothe the naked and welcome the stranger. Do those and you’ll merit a slot in the roster of the saints. Jesus made glory attainable for all. Heaven is not a place only for those who are able to do extraordinary things on earth, like contribute large sums of money to charitable institutions or churches. Not all of us can accomplish exceptional missionary undertakings like the disciples of old. But all of us can surely measure up to the norms that Jesus presents today. He has opened up the way to heaven by simply telling us to respond with acts of charity to anyone in need. And that is the only gauge. Our capacity to respond to human need will determine if we are worthy to be counted among the elect, those to whom Jesus will say, “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world (Matthew 25:34).” Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Do we know the road to the heart of Jesus?

Lord Jesus, You teach us the simple acts of charity that can make us saints some day. May You use us as Your
instruments to help those in need.

St. Paschal, pray for us.

------------------

1st READING

All people are called to live just and holy lives. One aspect of justice in our globalized world that needs a lot of attention is the question of a just wage. It is the moral responsibility of the employer to pay a just wage to all employees. The minimum wage guaranteed by law must be adhered to but, in many cases, even this may not satisfy the moral requirement of paying a fair wage to all employees.

Leviticus 19:1-2, 11-18
1 The LORD said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the whole Israelite community and tell them: Be holy, for I, the LORD your God, am holy. 11 “You shall not steal. You shall not lie or speak falsely to one another. 12 You shall not swear falsely by my name, thus profaning the name of your God. I am the LORD. 13 “You shall not defraud or rob your neighbor. You shall not withhold overnight the wages of your day laborer. 14 You shall not curse the deaf, or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but you shall fear your God. I am the LORD. 15 “You shall not act dishonestly in rendering judgment. Show neither partiality to the weak nor deference to the mighty, but judge your fellow men justly. 16 You shall not go about spreading slander among your kinsmen; nor shall you stand by idly when your neighbor’s life is at stake. I am the LORD. 17 “You shall not bear hatred for your brother in your heart. Though you may have to reprove your fellow man, do not incur sin because of him. 18 Take no revenge and cherish no grudge against your fellow countrymen. You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
I am the LORD.

P S A L M

Psalm 19:8, 9, 10, 15
R: Your words, Lord, are Spirit and Life.
7 [8] The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul; the decree of the LORD is trustworthy, giving wisdom to the simple. (R) 8 [9] The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the command of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eye. (R) 9 [10] The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the LORD are true, all of them just. (R) 14 [15] Let the words of my mouth and the thought of my heart find favor before you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. (R)

G O S P E L

This parable is clear in its denunciation of injustice and morality by condemning the neglect of living a truly moral life. It’s clear in Jesus’ mind that the Day of Judgment is a serious reality we must prepare. Just because we have accepted the Good News of salvation does not mean that we will automatically enter heaven. This will largely depend on whether or not we have heeded the Gospel and lived a life according to its principles.

Matthew 25:31-46
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, 32 and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’ 40 And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’ 41 Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’ 44 Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’ 45 He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’ 46 And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

my reflections
think: Just because we have accepted the Good News of salvation does not mean that we will automatically enter heaven. This will largely depend on whether or not we have heeded the Gospel and lived a life according to its principles.

SAINTS
Saint OneSimuS

From the first century A.D. came Onesimus, slave to the Colossian Christians Philemon and Apphia.

Onesimus committed theft from Philemon and in order to escape punishment, fled to Rome where he sought the help of St. Paul. The apostle converted Onesimus and sent him back to his master with the canonical Epistle to Philemon. In the letter, Paul asked Philemon for Onesimus’ freedom so he could have him as one of his assistants. Because of the apostle’s request, Philemon granted Onesimus pardon and gave him his freedom.

Onesimus became a faithful servant of St. Paul. And with Tychicus, he became bearer of the Epistle to the Colossians. Onesimus continued his service, until he became a preacher of the Gospel then a successor of St. Timothy as bishop of Ephesus.

Because of Onesimus’ merit of celibacy, the governor of Rome had him tortured for 18 days. His legs and thighs were broken with bludgeons, then Onesimus was stoned to death.

http://magnificat.ca/cal/engl/02-16.htm

www.catholic-forum.com

Saint Juliana Of nicOmedia

Saint Juliana, patron of the sick, was the daughter of a pagan named Africanus.

He promised Juliana to a young noble named Evilase. The girl did not want him for a spouse ; thus, she insisted that he first becomes chief magistrate of Nicomedia before they would marry. When he became prefect, she again insisted that he be converted to Christianity. Evilase did not agree. Juliana’s pagan father tortured her to change her mind but she remained firm to the Catholic faith.

Evilase brought the woman before the tribunal during the persecution of Maximianus. He denounced her a Christian. Thus, Juliana was burned and boiled in oil before finally beheading her in 305 A.D.

Her relics are found at Cumae, Naples in Italy.

www.catholic-forum.com

Saint SilVin of auChy

Silvin, also known as Silvinus, was born in Toulouse, France. He served as a courtier of Childeric II and Theodoric III. The man gave up his worldly possessions and became a penitential pilgrim to Jerusalem and a number of holy sites. He was ordained priest in Rome then consecrated regional bishop. Silvin devoted 40 years of his life in missionary activities by evangelizing in the area around Therouanne and Toulouse and preaching about Christian truths and obligations. He taught the pagans to renounce the pleasures of life by applying the strong lessons of self-denial and mortification. In the end, he retired to the Benedictine Abbey of Auchy-les-Moines.

Saint Silvin died on February 15, some time between the years 718-720. His feast day is commemorated on February 17 in the Usuard, the Belgic and Roman martyrologies, and on February 15 in Auchy. Most of his remains are in Saint- Bertin’s Church at Saint-Omer.

www.saintpatrickdc.org

February
Tuesday

---------------------
WHEN WE SAY NOTHiNg

“In praying, do not babble… your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.” – Matthew 6:7-8

It felt like my heart was about to explode any moment. The thoughts were racing inside my head, knots increasingly tightening in my stomach, and my shoulders becoming stiff as boulders. Tears were welling up in my eyes.
There were just too many things to do. Where do I begin? I needed to unburden myself of all of the fears, anxieties, questions, doubts.
By God’s grace, I was able to pause and find the time to pray.
I looked up, felt the wind around me, much like His embrace, and began.
But there were no words. None seemed to fit. Not a single one worth an utterance.
I couldn’t bring myself to say one word — yet felt there were so many that had to be spoken.
At that moment, in my loss and desperation, I could only close my eyes, and sigh from my depths.
Just a sigh. Nothing more. “Your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.”
And not so suddenly, like a gentle, comforting breeze, peace came. Lallaine Gogna

REFLECTION:
Do words bring me deeper into God’s presence? Or hinder me from truly encountering Him?

You are the Peace that guards my heart, Lord. Thank You that You are Father who knows me through and through. And words are not necessary for me to come to You.

--------------------------

forGive as God has forGiven you

Most of us struggle to forgive. How can we forgive when there is still so much pain and hurt in us? Confronted with the challenge to forgive, some of us say, “Di ko pa kaya, masakit pa,” clearly equating forgiveness with the cessation of pain. We think we can forgive only if the pain has already subsided.
Others find it especially most difficult to forgive when they see that the ones who have offended them show no remorse. “Paano ko patatawarin e ni hindi man lamang makapagpakita na nagsisisi.” That makes the question of forgiveness something really difficult to do. Equating our capacity to forgive on the offender’s capacity for remorse veers us away from Jesus’ teaching on forgiveness.
There are even those who just decide to simply dismiss people or regard those who have offended them as if they don’t exist.They hold on to the dictum that if they give the offender another chance by forgiving him, they would just expose themselves to another possibility that they would be hurt again. So, they say, “Yun na ang pinakamabuting gawin, kesa masaktan pa niya ako muli” believing that such set-up excuses them from forgiving.
But that is not the way with Christians. We forgive because we know that we, too, need forgiveness. And that the only way to receive forgiveness is by giving it to those who have offended us. Jesus says in today’s Gospel, “For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses (Mt. 6:14-15).”
We know that before God we are like anyone else—in need of God’s mercy. The Father’s forgiveness should be our aim. And that should also motivate us in doing the same for others. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Do you delay in forgiving others?

Merciful Lord, Your forgiveness of our sins ought to move us to do the same for those who hurt us. Soften our hearts against our offenders that we may sincerely forgive from the heart.

St. Buonfiglio Monaldo, servites, pray for us.

------------------

1st READING

The Word of God has power that we rarely exploit. We all have access to the Scriptures, but do we read and study them regularly? If we had a million dollars I am sure we would use it on a regular basis and buy things and support various causes. Why do we not do the same thing with the Scriptures when the fruit of reading and studying them is eternal life and not just the passing pleasures of the world?

Isaiah 55:10-11
10 Thus says the Lord: Just as from the heavens the rain and snow come down and do not return there till they have watered the earth, making it fertile and fruitful, giving seed to him who sows and bread to him who eats, 11 so shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth; it shall not return to me void, but shall do my will, achieving the end for which I sent it.

P S A L M

Psalm 34:4-5, 6-7, 16-17, 18-19
R: From all their distress God rescues the just.
3 [4] Glorify the LORD with me, let us together extol his name. 4 [5] I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. (R) 5 [6] Look to him that you may be radiant with joy, and your faces may not blush with shame. 6 [7] When the poor one called out, the LORD heard, and from all his distress he saved him. (R) 15 [16] The LORD has eyes for the just, and ears for their cry. 16 [17] The LORD confronts the evildoers, to destroy remembrance of them from the earth. (R) 17 [18] When the just cry out, the LORD hears them, and from all their distress he rescues them. 18 [19] The LORD is close to thebrokenhearted; and those who are crushed in spirit he saves. (R)

G O S P E L

Daily prayer is the partner of daily study of the Scriptures. Prayer is the means by which we maintain our relationship with God. If you want to know how to pray, look at the way you relate with your closest friend and relate in the same way with God. Of course, you will have to adjust some things a little but the basis of any human relationship will also be essential to your relationship with God.

Matthew 6:7-15
7 “In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9 “This is how you are to pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven. 11 Give us today our daily bread; 12 and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; 13 and do not subject us to the final test, but deliver us from the evil one. 14 “If you forgive others their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions.”

my reflections
think: If we had a million dollars I am sure we would use it on a regular basis and buy things and support various causes. Why do we not do the same thing with the Scriptures when the fruit of reading and studying them is eternal life and not just the passing pleasures of the world?

February
Wednesday

------------------

giVE ME A SigN

“This… is an evil generation; it seeks a sign…” – Luke 11:29

Miracles do happen. Jesus performed them during His time. He continues to perform them now. They strengthen our faith, give hope and show God’s amazing power!
But when can miracles become “evil”? I believe it depends on the intention of the seeker of the sign and the results. If your faith would only depend on whether God would perform the sign you are asking for, then you may actually be testing God Himself. As if the Lord needed to prove Himself. Remember, the devil told Jesus, “If you are truly the Son of God, turn this stone into bread, or jump from a high place and be caught by angels, or save yourself from the cross.…”
We also need to check if there is true conversion and deep transformation after the miracle is granted. Or did it lead to arrogance, pride or indifference?
By all means, ask God to give you a sign — ask Him for a miracle! But just be sure that it will add to the faith that you already have in Him. Moreover, if your miracle doesn’t come, be sure you can still look up to heaven and say, “Thank You, Lord. You have a better one for me!” Alvin Barcelona

REFLECTION:
Is my faith dependent on signs? Or is God’s daily outpouring of love enough miracle for me to hold on and believe?

Lord, open my eyes of faith that I may see that Your love for me as displayed in Your crucifixion is the greatest sign of my hope and my salvation.
------------------------

Greater than Jonah

“The people of Nineveh will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, because they repented at the proclamation of Jonah, and see, something greater than Jonah is here! (Lk 11:32).”
When Jonah was sent by God to Nineveh to move them to conversion, the people readily came to accept him and his message of repentance. This is what Jesus was trying to point out to the Jews of His time. They have someone far greater than Jonah and yet they still demanded signs from Him to bring themselves to believe in Him.
The Jews were a privileged lot—they had the Scriptures to prove that Jesus was the Holy One from God, and yet they still refused to believe. They were blessed with the many prophets who spoke of the coming of Jesus, and yet they still remained blinded by their prejudices against Him. They were blessed with Jesus’ many miracles that were unheard of in those parts during that time. And yet they still refused to recognize them as clear “signs” from God. And so they demanded that He does something far greater than what He was and has been doing—they demanded for remarkable signs from God to confirm His being the Holy One from God.
So, Jesus had to do it. He pronounced His strong words of condemnation to the people who, despite their being fortunate and blessed by everything that would make them believe in him, refused to believe. Such will be the fate of those who fail to make use of their privilege to conform their lives with the norms set by God. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Do you still ask Jesus for signs or do you truly believe all that He reveals to you?

Jesus, I believe; help my unbelief. Give me the grace to trust in You and open my eyes to Your powerful work in my life.

St. Catherine de Ricci, virgin, pray for us.

----------------------

1st READING

Repentance is at the heart of any good relationship with God. There is at least one certain fact in human living – we are all sinners. This means we all stand in need of repentance before God. This is why the basic Gospel proclamation always involves a call to repent. If someone preaches the Gospel without this call, they are not preaching the authentic Gospel.

Jonah 3:1-10
1 The word of the LORD came to Jonah a second time: 2 “Set out for the great city of Nineveh, and announce to it the message that I will tell you.” 3 So Jonah made ready and went to Nineveh, according to the LORD’s bidding. Now Nineveh was an enormously large city; it took three days to go through it. 4 Jonah began his journey through the city, and had gone but a single day’s walk announcing, “Forty days more and Nineveh shall be destroyed,” 5 when the people of Nineveh believed God; they proclaimed a fast and all of them, great and small, put on sackcloth. 6 When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, laid aside his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in the ashes. 7 Then he had this proclaimed throughout Nineveh, by decree of the king and his nobles: “Neither man nor beast, neither cattle nor sheep, shall taste anything; they shall not eat, nor shall they drink water. 8 Man and beast shall be covered with sackcloth and call loudly to God; every man shall turn from his evil way and from the violence he has in hand. 9 Who knows, God may relent and forgive, and withhold his blazing wrath, so that we shall not perish.” 10 When God saw by their actions how they turned from their evil way, he repented of the evil that he had threatened to do to them; he did not carry it out.

P S A L M

Psalm 51:3-4, 12-13, 18-19
R: A heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.
1 [3] Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness; in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense. 2 [4] Thoroughly wash me from my guilt and of my sin cleanse me. (R) 10 [12] A clean heart create for me, O God, and a steadfast spirit renew within me. 11 [13] Cast me not out from your presence, and your Holy Spirit take not from me. (R) 16 [18] For you are not pleased with sacrifices; should I offer a burnt offering, you would not accept it. 17 [19] My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit; a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn. (R)

GOSPEL

Those who repent of their sins will find a weight lifted from their shoulders. This is an experience of the freedom of the sons and daughters of God. If a person refuses to repent of their sins there is a great danger they will be denied the gift of eternal salvation. Sin separates a person from God and the only way to heal that rift is for the person to humbly accept the merciful forgiveness of God through repentance.

Luke 11:29-32
29 While still more people gathered in the crowd, he said to them, “This generation is an evil generation; it seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it, except the sign of Jonah. 30 Just as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so will the Son of Man be to this generation. 31 At the judgment the queen of the south will rise with the men of this generation and she will condemn them, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and there is something greater than Solomon here. 32 At the judgment the men of Nineveh will arise with this generation and condemn it, because at the preaching of Jonah they repented, and there is something greater than Jonah here.”
2 Corinthians 9-13
my reflections
think: The basic Gospel proclamation always involves a call to repent. If someone preaches the Gospel without this call, they are not preaching the authentic Gospel.

Happy Valentines! May God fill your life with true love!
Never lose sight of Jesus this Thursday.

Praying for you,
kerstinne25

February
Thursday

EMbRACED bY THE LigHT OF THE WORLD

“… seized with mortal anguish…” – Esther C:12 (or Esther 4:28)

She was the first contestant in the famous TV show American Idol. She entered the room full of confidence that she was going to move on to Hollywood. Unfortunately, her self-ssurance way exceeded the quality of her voice. She didn’t make the cut. She stood there flabbergasted before the judges then broke down and cried uncontrollably. She left the audition room and ran to the arms of her mom. She was inconsolable. I felt her pain.
Then I watched her mom. I could feel her anguish as I saw it etched on her face. It almost read, “Can I take this pain for you?”
I’ve been there. When my husband and I came home from the funeral of our 11-monthold son, we just hugged each other as we entered our bedroom. No words could speak of our anguish. And right at that moment, it felt like a group hug. No words. Just God embracing us. It was so real, we could almost see it etched in His Son’s hands: “I can take this pain for you.” Ronna Ledesma

REFLECTION:
Have you allowed yourself to feel the hug of the Lord in the midst of your crisis? This Valentine’s Day, let Him embrace you.

Lord, use my arms whenever You want to hug some people who are grieving silently.

--------------

God’s Way, not ours
There was a movie starring Jim Carrey entitled, “Bruce Almighty.” It was an instant hit, perhaps because it gave the people a glimpse of how it is to be God. There were so many scenes that made “being God” so exciting: breezing through a long road clogged with cars; pulling the moon closer to set a more romantic mood for the wife, walking on water, being in splendid locations in an instant, manipulating astonishing life situations to make the climb to the corporate ladder swift.
Towards the end of the movie, the main character, Bruce, discovered being God was not that cool. This was shown when he started to hear voices of people raising their petitions to God. He thought what seemed a brilliant solution—answer ‘yes’ to all the prayers through email. What resulted was mayhem. The movie captures a very effective point to illustrate that God’s way in dealing with our prayers is not in the same way we think. Who of us would not go by what Bruce did and agree to always say “yes” to everything we ask God in prayer? It would really be amusing to make a petition to God and get a positive response in return. But will it be beneficial to us? Will it be helpful for man to get anything he wants, every time and anywhere he wants it? Bruce discovered it is not. And surely those who saw the film can say that it is rightly so.
If our father on earth will weigh our requests first before giving in, so as not to spoil us, certainly our Father in heaven would manifest His benevolence in far better ways. He will listen to and answer all our prayers, but not in the way we see fit. He’ll do it in His time and in His terms, knowing what is really best for us. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Have you accepted that God’s ways are not our ways?

Lord, give me the wisdom to understand and accept that You answer our prayers differently from what we expect but always in a way that is best for us.

Sts. Cyril and Methodius, monk and bishop, pray for us.

----------------

1st READING

Esther knows that she is about to enter into a situation where there are no guarantees for her life. It is a moment of life and death for her just as it is a moment of life and death for her people. Esther is not hesitating — she is doing what any wise and faith-filled person would do in her situation – place her welfare in the hands of God. It is God alone who can move the heart of the king to accede to Esther’s request and she knows it.

Esther C:12, 14-16, 23-25 (or Esther 4:28, 30-32, 39-41)
28 [C:12] Queen Esther, seized with mortal anguish, likewise had recourse to the Lord. 30 [C:14] Then she prayed to the Lord, the God of Israel, saying “My Lord, our King, you alone are God. Help me, who am alone and have no help but you, 31 [C:15] for I am taking my life in my hand. 32 [C:16] As a child I was wont to hear from the people of the land of my forefathers that you, O Lord, chose Israel from among all peoples, and our fathers from among all their ancestors, as a lasting heritage, and that you fulfilled all your promises to them. 39 [C:23] Be mindful of us, O Lord. Manifest yourself in the time of our distress and give me courage, King of gods and Ruler of every power. 40 [C:24] Put in my mouth persuasive words in the presence of the lion, and turn his heart to hatred for our enemy, so that he and those who are in league with him may perish. 41 [C:25] Save us by your power, and help me, who am alone and have no one but you, O Lord. You know all things.”

P S A L M

Psalm 138:1-2ab, 2cde-3, 7c-8
R: Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
1 I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart, for you have heard the words of my mouth; in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise; 2 I will worship at your holy temple and give thanks to your name. (R) Because of your kindness and your truth; for you have made great above all things your name and your promise. 3 When I called, you answered me; you built up strength within me. (R) 7 Your right hand saves me. 8 The LORD will complete what he has done for me; your kindness, O LORD, endures forever; forsake not the work of your hands. (R)

G O S P E L

Esther gives an example of the willingness to seek the Lord and to request His aid in the task she is about to perform. There is never anything lost in commending to the Lord our needs and hopes. If they are within the ambit of His will for our lives, it will confirm God’s intention to work with us in that way. If they are not, then at least we will have a sign that we need to rethink our desires in life if the Lord is not responding to our repeated requests.

Matthew 7:7-12
7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. 9 Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asks for a loaf of bread, 10 or a snake when he asks for a fish? 11 If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask him. 12 “Do to others whatever you would have them do to you. This is the law and the prophets.”

my reflections
think:Esther is not hesitating — she is doing what any wise and faith- filled person would do in her situation — place her welfare in the hands of God. Do we do this when we’re in a fix?

February
Friday
----------------

SETTiNg PRiORiTiES

“I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” – Matthew 5:20

Being in charge of a real estate sales force connected with a selling network, I became a little worried when we failed to reach the monthly sales quotas for a few of months. I observed my personnel and, in prayer, I realized that we needed to put God at the center of our activities and the blessings would follow. Another member shared the same burden.
So we held a one-day spiritual retreat cum planning activity. In the retreat, I shared about how the Lord brought success to my selling career as I glorified Him in my work. I emphasized that obedience to God should be our top priority in life.
The retreat opened the channels of communications and, thereafter, improved personal relationships. It also exposed the group’s hunger for the Word of God. We also made a point to share on the Gospel during our weekly meeting. By yearend, our group was able to recover and surpass the sales quota for the year. Donna España

REFLECTION:
Where is God in your priority list?

Lord God, inspire me always to put You ahead in allthat I do. Amen.

-------------------------

reConCile With your enemy

We have heard this many times: a scorned wife putting the law in her hands and kills the husband. A man who was duped in business and exacts vengeance by having his former partners liquidated. Traffic altercations leading to violent quarrels. Heated disputes over trivial matters like parking spaces. Anger brings out the worst in people. We know of persons of good standing in the community who surprise us suddenly with livid outbursts.
Anger is so exhausting. It consumes much of one’s energies. After outbursts people attest that it leaves them dead beat. Trouble is, although we know that it brings out what is bad in us and that it really consumes us, we still sometimes nurse our anger instead of deal with it to arrest it.
Jesus challenges us in today’s Gospel: refuse the path to reconciliation and it will just leave you farther from God. Jesus said, “Be reconciled with your enemy.” He ups the challenge by telling that when one refuses to do so he has no right to enter his house to offer his sacrifice (cf Mt 5:23-24). Now that alone should give us the shivers. Jesus is giving us the norms by which we can become worthy of standing before Him. It is like Jesus giving the imperative on who can actually go to heaven and enjoy the beatific vision and who can not. Matthew 5:25 even strengthens this point. We are all on our way to meeting Him as a just judge in the end of our lives. Before it happens, we need to reconcile with the enemy, or our refusal to do so may cause us our own doom. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Is there anyone I need to reconcile with?

Holy Spirit, walk back in the past with us and show us the people we need to forgive and whom we have to ask forgiveness from. Guide us in mending our broken relationships.

St. Walfrid, pray for us.

---------------

1st READING

There is no doubt in my mind that the manner of life we live is under the scrutiny of God. We will stand before Him in judgment one day and we will have to give an account of how we have lived. It does not matter whether we are poor or rich, the judgment will be on exactly the same grounds – the principles of the Gospel and moral life. However, we must always remember that one of these principles is: to whom much has been given much will be expected.

Ezekiel 18:21-28
21 If the wicked man turns away from all the sins he committed, if he keeps all my statutes and does what is right and just, he shall surely live, he shall not die. 22 None of the crimes he committed shall be remembered against him; he shall live because of the virtue he has practiced. 23 Do I indeed derive any pleasure from the death of the wicked? says the Lord GOD. Do I not rather rejoice when he turns from his evil way that he may live? 24 And if the virtuous man turns from the path of virtue to do evil, the same kind of abominable things that the wicked man does, can he do this and still live? None of his virtuous deeds shall be remembered, because he has broken faith and committed sin; because of this, he shall die. 25 You say, “The LORD’s way is not fair!” Hear now, house of Israel: Is it my way that is unfair, or rather, are not your ways unfair? 26 When a virtuous man turns away from virtue to commit iniquity, and dies, it is because of the iniquity he committed that he must die. 27 But if a wicked man, turning from the wickedness he has committed, does what is right and just, he shall preserve his life; 28 since he has turned away from all the sins which he committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

P S A L M

Psalm 130:1-2, 3-4, 5-7a, 7bc-8
R: If you, O Lord, mark iniquities, who can stand?
1 Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD; Lord, hear my voice! 2 Let your ears be attentive to my voice in supplication. (R) 3 If you, O LORD, mark iniquities, LORD, who can stand? 4 But with you is forgiveness, that you may be revered. (R) 5 I trust in the LORD; my soul trusts in his word. 6 My soul waits for the LORD more than sentinels wait for the dawn. More than sentinels wait for the dawn, 7 let Israel wait for the LORD. (R) For with the LORD is kindness and with him is plenteous redemption; 8 and he will redeem Israel from all their iniquities. (R)

G O S P E L

Depth of virtue is the issue at stake here. Sometimes, after detailing the trials and struggles of their life, people would say that, “Surely God could not ask any more of me than this?” God will never ask from us more than we can give nor test us beyond our ability to endure. But we can also be sure that, in one way or another, He is going to ask us to surrender everything to Him.

Matthew 5:20-26
20 I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter into the kingdom of heaven. 21 “You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, ‘Raqa,’ will be answerable to the Sanhedrin, and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ will be liable to fiery Gehenna. 23 Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, 24 leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Settle with your opponent quickly while on the way to court with him. Otherwise your opponent will hand you over to the judge, and the judge will hand you over to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. 26 Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.”
Galatians 4-6
my reflections
think:God will never ask more from us than we can give nor test us beyond our ability to endure.

February
Sunday

NEVER TOO LATE

Abraham was 75 years old when he departed from Haran. – Genesis 12:4

My sisters are fantastic dancers. They take after my Dad who’s an original member of the prestigious Bayanihan dance troop from his youth. I’ve always felt insecure about my lack of gracefulness and, at a certain point, I resigned myself to the fact that I would never be a good dancer.
I didn’t bother to take dance class because I felt I wasn’t a natural and no amount of lessons would make me improve. Until I joined a theater company called Trumpets. We staged Joseph the Dreamer last year and one of the main numbers was a hip-hop dance. Yikes!
The director made us all take a dance class to standardize our groove. I have to admit I was a bit embarrassed to be taking dance lessons at the age of 30. But there was also a hint of excitement and hope that, somehow, maybe I would improve.
During the opening week of the play, my Dad was in the audience. I’ll never forget what he said on our way home. “One thing is for sure, George, you really know how to dance already.”
Wow. I think I had been waiting to hear those words from him all my life.
Abraham began a nation at 75. Now I know it’s never too late for anything. George Gabriel

REFLECTION:
Do you want to start on something new?

Now is the time. Lord, help me live every moment to the fullest.

---------

liKe God, NANAY KnoWs Best

My mother had a way of motivating me and my two brothers and one sister into achieving greater heights in academics when we were young. There was a year when all four of us were in college at the same time. It was a year of “forced’’ frugality for the whole family who had a hard time trying to make both ends meet. All of us were studying in Manila and the daily commute from Antipolo really drained our family’s finances. So our parents ensured that their hard-earned money would not go to waste. Whenever our mom would see us losing our focus on our studies, she would always remind us of the need for a good education to help improve our own lives.
She would often say that they’d been through much more difficult situations during their student days, like losing their dad when they were still in grade school and working at a very young age just to send themselves to school.
We knew those were words of truth coming from someone who really has seen the toughest of times and who desires that we won’t suffer just as they did. So whenever life becomes difficult, my brothers and sister still say to one another, “Go to nanay, listen to her.”
I believe the Transfiguration accomplished something more for the privileged companions of Jesus than just have a foretaste of God’s glory—it showed them that the mandate of Jesus comes from the Father Himself. It gave them a clear motivation to really listen to Him with whom the Father is well-pleased.
God knows what is best for us. And during times that we think it is difficult to even just listen to Him, let us refresh our minds with the thought that God is a God of truth. He’ll lead us where we will experience real happiness. So, go and listen to Him, and the glory will be far greater than what we can imagine will be ours! Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Do you believe Mom has only your best interest at heart?

Our Lord of truth, You alone know what is best for us. May we grow to trust Your will for us completely and allow You to guide us to where we should go.

St. Alexis Falconieri, founder and mystic, pray for us.

--------

1st READING

Genesis 12 is the beginning of recorded history as we know it in the Bible. We hear of the original promise God makes to Abraham that becomes the basis of the Jewish way of life until the present. These three promises of land, blessing and progeny can still be found at the heart of today’s Jewish self-understanding and self-determination. As Christians we believe that God fulfills these promises in Christ in a spiritual way by opening up for us the land of heaven, the blessing of the Holy Spirit and by making us all sons and daughters of the Father.

Genesis 12:1-4a
1 The LORD said to Abram: “Go forth from the land of your kinsfolk and from your father’s house to a land that I will show you. 2 I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you. All the communities of the earth shall find blessing in you.” 4 Abram went as the LORD directed him.

P S A L M

Psalm 33:4-5, 18-19, 20 and 22
R: Lord, let your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in you.
4 Upright is the word of the LORD, and all his works are trustworthy. 5 He loves justice and right; of the kindness of the LORD the earth is full. (R) 18 See, the eyes of the LORD are upon those who fear him, upon those who hope for his kindness, 19 to deliver them from death and preserve them in spite of famine. (R) 20 Our soul waits for the LORD, who is our help and our shield. 22 May your kindness, O LORD, be upon us who have put our hope in you. (R)

2nd READING

St. Paul affirms that all we are and all the good that we have is a grace and gift from God. We can never claim to have saved ourselves through our own strength. If we refuse to accept it, we will only be deluding ourselves.

2 Timothy 1:8b-10
8 Bear your share of hardship for the gospel with the strength that comes from God. 9 He saved us and called us to a holy life, not according to our works but according to his own design and the grace bestowed on us in Christ Jesus before time began, 10 but now made manifest through the appearance of our savior Christ Jesus, who destroyed death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.

G O S P E L

The Father affirms and validates the existence and mission of his Son, Jesus. This is an important rite of passage for Jesus as it affirms Him in His identity and worth as an individual. We all look for such affirmation in our lives. The most important people for us in this regard are our parents. It is our parents who have the most formative role in our lives and if they fail us here we will have a difficult time growing into adulthood.

Matthew 17:1-9
1 Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 And he was transfigured before them; his face shone like the sun and his clothes became white as light. 3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, conversing with him. 4 Then Peter said to Jesus in reply, “Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” 5 While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud cast a shadow over them, then from the cloud came a voice that said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” 6 When the disciples heard this, they fell prostrate and were very much afraid. 7 But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and do not be afraid.” 8 And when the disciples raised their eyes, they saw no one else but Jesus alone. 9 As they were coming down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, “Do not tell the vision to anyone until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.”

my reflections
think: St. Paul affirms that all we are and all the good that we have is a grace and gift from God.

SABBATH PAUSE
My weekly time with God
THANK YOU LIST
Things to be grateful for from the past week
Things to ask God for in the coming week
Most important word God told me this week

February
Monday
-------------

THE MiSSiNg STAMP

“Do not judge others, and God will not judge you...” – Luke 6:37

One night, I noticed that one stamp from my collection binder was missing. I had my eye on my two usual suspects — my six-year-old daughter, Mac, and four-year-old son, Jac.
The two suspects were already fast asleep so I decided to defer my “speech” for the next day. Then I found a multi-folded piece of paper with my missing stamp taped on it!
Handwritten on one of the sides was the name Maria Angela Caliah, Mac’s full name. “Case solved,” I told myself.
I opened the letter and the actual text — misspellings and erasures included — went like this:
Dear, Jesus
Thanks Jesus im sorry for Fighting my Brother
Thank you for everting you gave in the earth
i love you Lord
Immediately, I had a complete turnaround. I felt guilty about fretting over a stamp that was used for such a wonderful prayer. I was also guilty for reading Mac’s letter. I could easily be convicted for my crime because aside from my fingerprints all over the letter, a drop of my tear made a small smudge on the paper. Alvin Fabella

REFLECTION:
Sometimes, things are not what they seem to be.

Thank You, Lord, for teaching me not to judge others immediately. MayI see the good in others first and not judge their actions.

-------------

JudGe not

The theme of judgment always brings to mind a grim scene — a fully garbed god seated on his mighty throne, grilling a soul for misdeeds on earth. But when Jesus says, “Do not judge, and you will not be judged” surely He was thinking of more than just the judgment at the end of days. There are so many life situations that this command of Jesus finds perfect sense.
Johannes Minkus tells this inspiring story: An old lady went to a restaurant for a bowl of hot vegetable soup. After ordering, she found herself a table, sat beside it and hang her bag under it. She was not given a spoon so she went back to the counter to request for one, only to discover on her way back that someone was seated on her chair eating from her bowl. Thinking that the man was homeless and hungry who loitered around the city, she felt pity. Nonetheless she wanted to have what was rightfully hers, so she sat in front of the man and began dipping her own spoon in the bowl and sipped her soup. The man was shocked but said nothing. Instead he stood up, ordered a cup of coffee, placed it beside the woman’s bowl, smiled at her, then headed out. Just then the woman thought of her bag. She reached under the table and found none. Then she thought, “So, he was a thief!” Feeling violated, she looked around to get sympathy only to find to her surprise that her bag was under another table with a bowl of cold soup on top. She went to the wrong table!
How often have we embarrassed ourselves in the past on account of our own clueless slip-ups? Like an old rich matron mistaking a priest for the janitor and instructing him to hail her a taxi. Or an applicant for a job advising a man to call his boss only to discover that he is the boss. Follow Jesus’ command to refrain on making judgments on people even if only to spare ourselves of disgrace. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
How many times have we misjudged others?

Lord, You are the true judge of all. Give me the grace to see people through Your just and loving eyes.

St. Simeon, pray for us.
------------------

1st READING

Too often, we seek revenge for the wrongs others have done to us and we are not satisfied until we have “seen justice done.” Sometimes I think we lack a good understanding of what it means to be merciful and to pardon people for their sins. I would like to challenge us all to see the desire for the conversion of those who have sinned against us as the greatest priority we would have for them. Punishment may teach someone that there are consequences to his actions. Conversion will help ensure he will never do it again in a far more certain manner.

Daniel 9:4b-10
4 “Lord, great and awesome God, you who keep your merciful covenant toward those who love you and observe your commandments! 5 We have sinned, been wicked and done evil; we have rebelled and departed from your commandments and your laws. 6 We have not obeyed your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes, our fathers, and all the people of the land. 7 Justice, O Lord, is on your side; we are shamefaced even to this day: the men of Judah, the residents of Jerusalem, and all Israel, near and far, in all the countries to which you have scattered them because of their treachery toward you. 8 O LORD, we are shamefaced, like our kings, our princes, and our fathers, for having sinned against you. 9 But yours, O Lord, our God, are compassion and forgiveness! Yet we rebelled against you 10 and paid no heed to your command, O LORD, our God, to live by the law you gave us through your servants the prophets.”

P S A L M

Psalm 79:8, 9, 11 and 13
R: Lord, do not deal with us according to our sins.
8 Remember not against us the iniquities of the past; may your compassion quickly come to us, for we are brought very low. (R) 9 Help us, O God our savior, because of the glory of your name; deliver us and pardon our sins for your name’s sake. (R) 11 Let the prisoners’ sighing come before you; with your great power free those doomed to death. 13 Then we, your people and the sheep of your pasture, will give thanks to you forever; through all generations we will declare your praise. (R)

G O S P E L

We like to focus our understanding of the text “the amount you measure out is the amount you will get back” on the things we want for ourselves. It’s often a material focus. I think Jesus has such things as mercy and forgiveness at the forefront of His mind when He makes this statement. We all need mercy and forgiveness so this is a good thing. However, it does mean that we have to be committed to such a life before we can be assured of receiving it ourselves.

Luke 6:36-38
36 “Be merciful, just as also your Father is merciful. 37 Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. 38 Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you.”

my reflections
think: Punishment may teach someone that there are consequences to his actions. Conversion will help ensure he will never do it again in a far more certain manner.

February
Tuesday

------------------------

WALkiNg THE TALk

“… for they preach, but do not practice…” – Matthew 23:3

“To lead by example.” This is what my newly hired assistant answered when I asked her what she expected of her manager — me! What a tall order for managers everywhere.
Time and again, I realize the incredible responsibility that comes with being placed in a position of leadership. Because whether we mean it or not, whether we are aware of it or not, people are watching us. Those on our team — the people we are trying to lead — will always look to us for guidance. And more than the things we say, it is the things we do that speak the loudest.
The kind of example we set speaks volumes of both our competence and our character — two ingredients that are crucial in any line of work.
Our beautiful and well-crafted meeting speeches and memos are empty if we do not make them come alive in our daily performance and interactions.
May we always walk the talk. Cess Cosico

REFLECTION:
If you were your subordinate, would you like the kind of leader that you are?

Lord, help me lead by example. Make me the kind of leader who follows the example set by Your Son.

------------------

our riGhtful plaCe

“We were not like this before. We were simple people living simple lives. But then came power and every good thing we were holding on to were compromised. We were so proud of the fact thatwe were honorable people. But power corrupted my husband and our priorities got all muddled up. Suddenly we preferred wealth over integrity; self-preservation over selfsacrifice; pleasing the powers that be over service; an extravagant life over simplicity.” This was how my friend explained what went wrong in their lives when her husband entered politics. I told her politics in itself is not bad, but it can really alter one’s disposition unless he is really deeply rooted in God.
Once one loses sight of the fact that the reason why he is given the power is for him to serve the people, it can really prove to be futile. He will stay in power for the wrong reasons and will try to preserve his power for his own sake and no longer for altruistic ends. Such idiocy is manifested thus: they burden others with loads that they themselves are not willing to carry; they do all their deeds to be seen by others; they flaunt their excesses without any tinge of embarrassment; they love to have the place of honor at banquets and the best seats in public gatherings; they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and to have people call them sir or madam.
No matter how high we put ourselves on our self-made and self-serving pedestals, it is God who will put us where we rightfully belong. For Jesus says that all who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted . Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Do you know where God has rightfully placed you?

Jesus, You know full well Your place in the Father’s plan of salvation. Help us know ours.

St. Alvarez of Corova, pray for us.

--------------------

1st READING

This is the power of true forgiveness, namely the ability to completely wipe clean the hatred and mess caused by sins against us. If we have lingering hatred or resentment in our hearts, we need to ask the Lord to purify our decision to forgive. There is something we are clinging to that hinders our full forgiveness of the person. This will always be a challenge to us, and a difficult one at that. However, as the Lord has forgiven us, so too must we forgive all others.

Isaiah 1:10, 16-20
10 Hear the word of the LORD, princes of Sodom! Listen to the instruction of our God, people of Gomorrah! 16 Wash yourselves clean! Put away your misdeeds from before my eyes; cease doing evil; 17 learn to do good. Make justice your aim, redress the wronged, hear the orphan’s plea, defend the widow. 18 Come now, let us set things right, says the LORD. Though your sins be like scarlet, they may become white as snow; though they be crimson red, they may become white as wool. 19 If you are willing, and obey, you shall eat the good things of the land; 20 but if you refuse and resist, the sword shall consume you for the mouth of the LORD has spoken!

P S A L M

Psalm 50:8-9, 16bc-17, 21 and 23
R: To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
8 “Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you, for your burnt offering are before me always. 9 I take from your house no bullock, no goats out of your fold.” (R) 16 “Why do you recite my statutes, and profess my covenant with your mouth, 17 though you hate discipline and cast my words behind you?” (R) 21 “When you do these things, shall I be deaf to it? Or do you think that I am like yourself? I will correct you by drawing them up before your eyes. 23 He that offers praise as a sacrifice glorifies me; and to him that goes the right way I will show the salvation of God.” (R)

G O S P E L

Earthly recognition will ultimately count for nothing in the Kingdom of God. Those who live and bask in the glory of having their lives splashed around magazines and television are in for a very rude shock when they come to the realization that probably 99 percent of all of this is rooted in sin of one sort or another. Unless a person’s life is exemplary and holy, they better not be advertising it as an example for all the world to see and follow. Remember, better to be thrown into the lake with a millstone around one’s neck than to be the cause of another’s sin, especially those who do not know better.

Matthew 23:1-12
1 Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, 2 saying, “The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. 3 Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach butthey do not practice. 4 They tie up heavy burdens [hard to carry] and lay them on people’s shoulders, but they will not lift a finger to move them. 5 All their works are performed to be seen. They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels. 6 They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues, 7 greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation ‘Rabbi.’ 8 As for you, do not be called ‘Rabbi.’ You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 Call no one on earth your father; you have but one Father in heaven. 10 Do not be called ‘Master’; you have but one master, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you must be your servant. 12 Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”

my reflections
think:If we have lingering hatred or resentment in our hearts, we need to ask the Lord to purify our decision to forgive.

February
Wednesday

---------------------

FREEDOM’S DOOR

“… they will condemn him to death, and hand him over to the Gentiles to be … crucified, and … be raised on the third day.” – Matthew 20:18-19

On June 22, 1979, two policemen arrested Manuel Navoa without any warrant. He was charged with arson with multiple homicide and was tortured to admit a crime he didn’t commit.
He was tried and, after three years, was sentenced to die in the electric chair. He was placed in an isolation cell. In desperation, he wanted to end his life but God saved him by sending a missionary. He found the Lord and surrendered his life to Him.
In 1986, the Supreme Court completed its review of his case. He was proven not guilty and on August 21, 1986, Manuel was set free. He became a lay missionary, ministering to prisoners.
Our Lord Jesus was also falsely accused by His detractors. He was mocked, scourged and crucified. He died. But on the third day, He rose again.
We may be in a difficult situation and have lost all hope. Take courage. The Lord, in His infinite goodness and mercy, will provide a way out for us. We just have to entrust our lives to Him and cooperate with His grace. The door to freedom may just be around the corner. Judith Concepcion

REFLECTION:
Do you have a big problem? Remember that God is bigger than your problem.

“Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life” (John 6:68).

----------------------------

Great in the eyes of God

The scene is all too familiar for most of us — a mother pleads on behalf of her sons, as in the case of today’s gospel taken from Matthew. Juxtapose today’s gospel with Mark’s version and you’ll see a little discrepancy—instead of a mother interceding for her sons, Mark mentions that the sons themselves pleaded for their own cause (Mk 10:35). Knowing Mark’s as the first to have been written and Matthew using Mark’s as a major source of his gospel, could it be that Matthew did a little editing?
Perhaps.
Mark’s gospel, being the oldest, is perceived to be the most faithful to the original event. He called a spade a spade, warts and all. Hence, he presented the two protagonists as they were. So if James and John embarrassed themselves with those self-serving posturing, Mark didn’t try to hide it. Matthew, on the other hand, did not see it fit to allude to James and John an action that would betray their status as the chosen apostles of Christ. To be perceived as persons who have not been up to the teachings of Christ can really prove to be an embarrassing thing, especially for apostles like James and John.
We can learn from what we perceive as the mind-set of Matthew. There are a lot of things that we really are embarrassed about. Unfortunately, some get embarrassed for the wrong things, like, not looking well, not having the right skin color, not having the right clothes, not having the right body build, etc. If there are things that we need to be embarrassed about, they should be those that concern our character, whether we are measuring up to the norms that have been set to us by Christ.
Perhaps, we need to do a little “editing” in our own lives. And we need to do this not just to make ourselves appear good to others but to really become great in the eyes of God. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
What are your God-given ambitions?

Lord, may I aspire only for Your will in my life and follow wherever it takes me.

St. Eucherius, bishop, pray for us.

--------------------------

1st READING

Any prophet must be prepared to be the focus of the attention of people who will seek to bring them down. Why? Because it is in the nature of sin to seek to destroy the truth. The devil is the father of lies and this is the basis of his work in the world today. If he can destroy the concept of truth, we will not even be able to recognize that the principles we are living by are empty and wrong. This is why it is imperative that we stand up for the truth at every opportunity and never back down.

Jeremiah 18:18-20
18 “Come,” they said, “let us contrive a plot against Jeremiah. It will not mean the loss of instruction from the priests, nor of counsel from the wise, nor of messages from the prophets. And so, let us destroy him by his own tongue; let us carefully note his every word.” 19 Heed me, O LORD, and listen to what my adversaries say. 20 Must good be repaid with evil that they should dig a pit to take my life? Remember that I stood before you to speak in their behalf, to turn away your wrath from them.

P S A L M

Psalm 31:5-6, 14, 15-16
R: Save me, O Lord, in your kindness.
4 [5] You will free me from the snare they set for me, for you are my refuge. 5 [6] Into your hands I commend my spirit; you will redeem me, O LORD, O faithful God. (R) 13 [14] I hear the whispers of the crowd, that frighten me from every side, as they consult together against me, plotting to take my life. (R) 14 [15] But my trust is in you, O LORD; I say, “You are my God.” 15 [16] In your hands is my destiny; rescue me from the clutches of my enemies and my persecutors. (R)

G O S P E L

The mother of James and John is sorely misguided in her request. She is living by the standards of the world where such honors are sought as a matter of course. In heaven, we will all be in union with God so what will seats at the table matter? It is a question of shifting our focus from earthly to heavenly realities and we will slowly begin to understand what truly matters both in this world and in the next.

Matthew 20:17-28
17 As Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the twelve [disciples] aside by themselves, and said to them on the way, 18 “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes, and they will condemn him to death, 19 and hand him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and scourged and crucified, and he will be raised on the third day.” 20 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee approached him with her sons and did him homage, wishing to ask him for something. 21 He said to her, “What do you wish?” She answered him, “Command that these two sons of mine sit, one at your right and the other at your left, in your kingdom.” 22 Jesus said in reply, “You do not know what you are asking. Can you drink the cup that I am going to drink?” They said to him, “We can.” 23 He replied, “My cup you will indeed drink, but to sit at my right and at my left[, this] is not mine to give but is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.” 24 When the ten heard this, they became indignant at the two brothers. 25 But Jesus summoned them and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and the great ones make their authority over them felt. 26 But it shall not be so among you. Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you shall be your servant; 27 whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave. 28 Just so, the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

my reflections
think:It is in the nature of sin to seek to destroy the truth. The devil is the father of lies and this is the basis of his work in the world today.

This Thursday, remember that He knows you and loves you.

February
Thursday
------------------------

THiNkiNg OF THE POOR

And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man’s table. – Luke 16:20-21

Going home after a party one night, I was looking forward to eating some of the barbecue I brought with me. Though I already had my fill, I had “midnight snack” in my mind. As a friend bade me goodbye, he asked me to take his own share as well. As I was leaving, he told me in a very casual tone: “Ikaw na ang bahala diyan. Mas alam mo kung sino ang nangangailangan” (You take my share. You would know who would need it more).
His words jolted me out of the thought of satisfying my palate and stomach. While I was thinking about my craving, my friend had the poor in mind. I ended up giving my leftovers to a group of street people who had little to eat.
That incident got me thinking about how often the average person thinks of the poor. If I am the average person, that may be once in a blue moon or when somebody reminds me of it. I hope the average person is like my friend who does the reminding. Jun Asis

REFLECTION:
Do we turn to action or indifference when reminded about the poor?

Lord, open my eyes to the poor around me. Make me Your instrument to help make their lives a little better.
------------------------

doinG nothinG

Some well-meaning people say that the growing number of poor among us should shame us Christians. Christians should never feel comfortable with the fact that there are people who are living miserably because of poverty. If misery continues to exist among the marginalized poor in a society then perhaps the Christians in that society are remiss in their obligations.
If we are really to see the point of Jesus we need to see the sin of the rich man in today’s gospel placed adjacent to our own lives as Christians. The fate of the rich man could very well be ours if we’ll deal with the poor the same way he did with Lazarus. And what did he do? Nothing.
The rich man did nothing. He did not kick poor Lazarus on his way out of his gate. He did not make him leave for making his front steps unsightly. He did not hurl invectives at him. In other words, he did not do anything bad to him. But, he did not do anything nice either.
Luke illustrated the poor man’s misery clearly. If dogs could come and lick the wounds of the poor Lazarus without his protestations, then he was truly helpless. Extreme hunger was likewise never inconspicuous for he longed even just for scraps falling from the rich man’s table. The sin of the rich man is not because he did not do something bad against the poor Lazarus but because he failed to lift a finger to alleviate the suffering of someone desperately in need.
The turn of events in today’s gospel can surely make one tremble—imagine the quick transition from utmost affluence to frightful torment. Let that thought spur us to action to do something for the poor. For our neglect of them and refusal to act now may cause us our own damnation. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question: You may not have done anything bad but have you actually done some good?

Jesus, open my eyes to any sin of omission I have committed against You and the needy in my midst.

St. Avitus II of Clemont, bishop and defender of the Church, pray for us.

-------------------

1st READING

Whatever we are doing and wherever we may be, it is essential that we thrust our roots into the living water of a relationship with God — a relationship nourished by God’s will, His Word and prayer. The teachings of the Church are part of the revealed will and so we need to study these as well. God has given us so many aids to the spiritual life so that we do not get lost. Only sin can cause us confusion and lead us astray.

Jeremiah 17:5-10
5 Thus says the LORD: Cursed is the man who trusts in human beings, who seeks his strength in flesh, whose heart turns away from the LORD. 6 He is like a barren bush in the desert that enjoys no change of season, but stands in a lava waste, a salt and empty earth. 7 Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose hope is the LORD. 8 He is like a tree planted beside the waters that stretches out its roots to the stream. It fears not the heat when it comes, its leaves stay green; in the year of drought it shows no distress, but still bears fruit. 9 More tortuous than all else is the human heart, beyond remedy; who can understand it? 10 I, the LORD, alone probe the mind and test the heart, to reward everyone according to his ways, according to the merit of his deeds.

P S A L M

Psalm 1:1-2, 3, 4 and 6
R: Blessed are they who hope in the Lord.
1 Blessed the man who follows not the counsel of the wicked nor walks in the way of sinners, nor sits in the company of the insolent, 2 but delights in the law of the LORD and meditates on his law day and night. (R) 3 He is like a tree planted near running water, that yields its fruit in due season, and whose leaves never fade. Whatever he does, prospers. (R) 4 Not so the wicked, not so; they are like chaff which the wind drives away. 6 For the LORD watches over the way of the just, but the way of the wicked vanishes. (R)

G O S P E L

The Church and the world must learn to take this parable seriously. It is truly a matter of life and death not just for the poor man Lazarus but for us as well. At the heart of this parable is the call to generosity and holiness of life. There is no excuse for any of us in that there is always someone who is less well off than we are and therefore we have a moral obligation to care for them. How this works itself out in practice is entirely up to the individual. None of us can afford to look at the problem and seeing its enormity, put it into the proverbial “too hard basket.” There is never any excuse against the principle of “acting locally” even if we happen to be thinking globally.

Luke 16:19-31
19 “There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. 20 And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, 21 who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man’s table. Dogs even used to come and lick his sores. 22 When the poor man died, he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and from the netherworld, where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. 24 And he cried out, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me. Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am suffering torment in these flames.’ 25 Abraham replied, ‘My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented. 26 Moreover, between us and you a great chasm is established to prevent anyone from crossing who might wish to go from our side to yours or from your side to ours.’ 27 He said, ‘Then I beg you, father, send him to my father’s house, 28 for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they too come to this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them.’ 30 He said, ‘Oh no, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ 31 Then Abraham said, ‘If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.’ ”

my reflections
think:Whatever we are doing and wherever we may be, it is essential that we thrust our roots into the living water of a relationship with God — a relationship nourished by God’s will, His Word and prayer.

FEBRUARY 22, 2008
FRIDAY

SERViCE PERSONiFiED

Tend the flock of God that is your charge, not by constraint but willingly… – 1 Peter 5:2-3

Vannie was our very first women’s moderator in the Alabang branch of our community of single professionals. I can only imagine her surprise and initial hesitation at accepting that role when it was first given her. After all, she was happy and comfortable serving where she was.
But obedience to God and her desire to serve Him came first and foremost. That’s why she courageously said “yes” to the daunting task of praying for, building and co-leading a new branch in spite of the uncertainty of it all.
That was 11 years ago. Today, Vannie’s and the mission team’s commitment and willingness to serve has borne fruit in a community of brothers and sisters that has thrived and grown in the service of the Lord and His people. Dina Pecaña

REFLECTION:
True service to the Lord is best caught instead of taught through the witness of His generous and humble servants.

Grant me the grace, Lord, to lovingly and willingly do what You ask of me.

---------------------

KnoW Jesus in a personal Way

We often hear the stock phrase, “Walang personalan, trabaho lang” in situations where people are wont to do their work faithfully and diligently without allowing their personal life to affect them; or, in situations where one affects other people personally with his or her action and he justifies the action as “trabaho lang.”
There are situations in life when one needs to detach himself personally from his work, like in the case of counselors of their clients or doctors of their patients. Otherwise, the work may suffer. If a counselor gets too involved personally, his objectivity can be affected. There are cases of doctors not wanting to perform surgeries on family members because they are “paralyzed” even with just the thought of it. So, this situation is indeed justified.
But there are situations when such an order does not apply. Take today’s gospel for example. Jesus would have been content with the thought that Peter has reached this point in his life that he has substantial knowledge of Jesus that he has acquired from “others.” But Jesus wanted something more from him. Jesus wanted Peter to have a personal knowledge of Him.
This is a constant theme in the life of Jesus with His disciples. He commended Mary for choosing the better part and it shall not be taken from her, He said. He wanted first to be assured of Peter’s love for Him before He gave him the mandate to feed His sheep. He chose the twelve apostles first, to be with Him and, second, to be sent out to proclaim the message (Mark 3:14).
As Christians, we need to develop a more intimate and personal relationship with Jesus and allow everything else to flow from that. Our minds are probably filled to the brim with knowledge of Jesus coming from others. The time is already rife for us to claim those knowledge for our selves. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Do you know Jesus in a personal way?

Jesus, I long to know You intimately as my Savior, brother and friend. Draw me to You
with Your grace and love.

St. Margaret of Cortona, penitent, pray for us.

----------------------

1st READING

When we celebrate this Feast of the Chair of Peter, we are really celebrating the authority given to the Pope to lead the Church in its mission to bring the Gospel to the ends of the earth. Jesus gave Peter the authority and responsibility to teach the People of God what it means to be a Christian. This ultimately means that each of us has the responsibility to read the documents that come forth form the Vatican as part of our discovering the mind of Christ for our lives.

1 Peter 5:1-4
1 I exhort the presbyters among you, as a fellow presbyter and witness to the sufferings of Christ and one who has a share in the glory to be revealed. 2 Tend the flock of God in your midst, [overseeing] not by constraint but willingly, as God would have it, not for shameful profit but eagerly. 3 Do not lord it over those assigned to you, but be examples to the flock. 4 And when the chief Shepherd is revealed, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.

P S A L M

Psalm 23:1-3a, 4, 5, 6
R: The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; 3 he refreshes my soul. (R) 4 Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage. (R) 5 You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (R) 6 Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come. (R)

G O S P E L

We should not take lightly the authority to forgive sins. That we have a sacrament for this purpose means that God places a high priority upon the goal of cleansing us from our sins. Because this is God’s priority, it also ought to be ours. Let us seek to make regular Confession a part of our lives.

Matthew 16:13-19
13 When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. 18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

my reflections
think:Let us seek to make regular Confession a part of our lives.

February
Saturday
------------

WHO’S bETTER?

“Because this son of mine was dead, and has come to life again; he was lost, and has been found.” – Luke 15:24

Contrary to its traditional title, “The Lost Son,” not only one son was lost. I feel that both sons were.
In certain aspects, I think the younger son was in a “better” position. His sins were glaring and obvious. Even if his conscience was dulled at first, he had so much “help” from people who habitually chimed, as wall clocks would, yelling to his face that he was a stupid, ingrate jerk! The consequences of his selfish decisions didn’t come late either and finally caught up with him. These made it easier for him to recognize the need to go back home to his father.
The older son had the looks of a lawabiding citizen. He had the moves of a son every dad in the neighborhood would envy. All his life, he shared a roof with his father. But his heart was thousands of miles away. The father has been dying to hear him call out “Dad,” but instead, he calls him “boss” who needs to be impressed by an impeccable job performance. It’s always harder to come home when you feel you’re not lost.
The filthy prostitute vs. the hardworking Church catechist — who’s better? The one who comes home. Marissa Escoto

REFLECTION:
When was the last time you went to confession? Go now! He waits for you!

Oh Lord, open my heart, mind, body and soul. Refresh me with Your love. Constantly embrace me and assure that You will always be there. Hear me O Lord, save me. May I daily dwell in Your presence.

--------------------

SQUANDERERS!

Our country is one of the richest in natural resources worldwide. If we will just look around there is really so much truth to these words.
But how come many people go hungry in a rich country like ours? Why are those who are tasked to serve the people unable to attend to our simplest human needs like shelter and food? How come people die in remote areas for lack of access to any adequate means of cure? How come even if there is so much brain power among us we are still not at par with our Asian neighbors? How come no matter how hard one tries to make a living he still cannot get out of the quagmire of poverty?
Perhaps because there are people who endlessly squander our country’s resources and make it a difficult place to live in. Take business people who engage in practices that continuously denude our forests, for example. They rake in millions of pesos out of this illegal gambit without regard for the neighborhoods near the forest whose lives are endanged due to landslides. What do we call the supposed guardians of our country’s education who have made a name for themselves as “Mr. or Mrs. 10 percent” for always taking a cut of all business transactions in schools? Squanderers! And then we wonder about the dismal showing of our students in school and the deteriorating quality of education.
What do we call the people who make a killing at kickbacks out of repairs of roads and bridges (they say the cut there is greater than when they are building entirely new ones)? Squanderers! I could go on and on, but I guess, the message is already quite clear. If we will continue to squander what God has given us, a time will come that we will all wallow in the mud with pigs and have our fill only of the pods on which they feed. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Have you been prudent in the use of the resources that God gives us?

Lord, forgive me for taking for granted Mother Earth and the resources You blessed me with. Help me to care for
what You entrust me with and encourage others to do the same.

St. Polycarp, bishop and martyr, pray for us.
------------

1st READING

The leaders of the flock of God are there to lead both by their example and by following the commands of God. This is never an easy task and we should never take our leaders for granted. We need to support them in every way we can — including praying daily for them. We also need to pray that God will continue to raise up leaders who will serve the people selflessly. It is truly a life of service and not a place to be seeking honor and acclaim.

Micah 7:14-15, 18-20
14 Shepherd your people with your staff, the flock of your inheritance, that dwells apart in a woodland, in the midst of Carmel. Let them feed in Bashan and Gilead, as in the days of old; 15 as in the days when you came from the land of Egypt, show us wonderful signs. 16 The nations shall behold and be put to shame, in spite of all their strength; they shall put their hands over their mouths; their ears shall become deaf. 17 They shall lick the dust like the serpent, like reptiles on the ground; they shall come quaking from their fastnesses, trembling in fear of you [the LORD, our God]. 18 Who is there like you, the God who removes guilt and pardons sin for the remnant of his inheritance; who does not persist in anger forever, but delights rather in clemency, 19 and will again have compassion on us, treading underfoot our guilt? You will cast into the depths of the sea all our sins; 20 you will show faithfulness to Jacob, and grace to Abraham, as you have sworn to our fathers from days of old.

P S A L M

Psalm 103:1-2, 3-4, 9-10, 11-12
R: The Lord is kind and merciful.
1 Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all my being, bless his holy name. 2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. (R) 3 He pardons all your iniquities, he heals all your ills. 4 He redeems your life from destruction, he crowns you with kindness and compassion. (R) 9 He will not always chide, nor does he keep his wrath forever. 10 Not according to our sins does he deal with us, nor does he requite us according to our crimes. (R) 11 For as the heavens are high above the earth, so surpassing is his kindness toward those who fear him. 12 As far as the east is from the west, so far has he put our transgressions from us. (R)

G O S P E L

Father, Your love knows no bounds and You always seek to call back to Yourself those who have strayed far from You. I pray that I will seek to imitate this generosity in love for those around me. I pray for the grace to seek to love with the selflessness with which You love, so that the community where I belong will be a community of love and unity, and not division and resentment.

Luke 15:1-3, 11-32
1 The tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to listen to him, 2 but the Pharisees and scribes began to complain, saying, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.” 3 So to them he addressed this parable. 11 “A man had two sons, 12 and the younger son said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of your estate that should come to me.’ So the father divided the property between them. 13 After a few days, the younger son collected all his belongings and set off to a distant country where he squandered his inheritance on a life of dissipation. 14 When he had freely spent everything, a severe famine struck that country, and he found himself in dire need. 15 So he hired himself out to one of the local citizens who sent him to his farm to tend the swine. 16 And he longed to eat his fill of the pods on which the swine fed, but nobody gave him any. 17 Coming to his senses he thought, “How many of my father’s hired workers have more than enough food to eat, but here am I, dying from hunger. 18 I shall get up and go to my father and I shall say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I no longer deserve to be called your son; treat me as you would treat one of your hired workers.”’ 20 So he got up and went back to his father. While he was still a long way off, his father caught sight of him, and was filled with compassion. He ran to his son, embraced him and kissed him. 21 His son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you; I no longer deserve to be called your son.’ 22 But his father ordered his servants, ‘Quickly bring the finest robe and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Take the fattened calf and slaughter it. Then let us celebrate with a feast, 24 because this son of mine was dead, and has come to life again; he was lost, and has been found.’ Then the celebration began. 25 Now the older son had been out in the field and, on his way back, as he neared the house, he heard the sound of music and dancing. 26 He called one of the servants and asked what this might mean. 27 The servant said to him, ‘Your brother has returned and your father has slaughtered the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’ 28 He became angry, and when he refused to enter the house, his father came out and pleaded with him. 29 He said to his father in reply, ‘Look, all these years I served you and not once did I disobey your orders; yet you never gave me even a young goat to feast on with my friends. 30 But when your son returns who swallowed up your property with prostitutes, for him you slaughter the fattened calf.’ 31 He said to him, ‘My son, you 150 are here with me always; everything I have is yours. 32 But now we must celebrate and rejoice, because your brother was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.’”

my reflections
think:We should never take our leaders for granted. We need to support them in every way we can — including praying daily for them.

Saint SiMeon StyliteS

Simeon Stylites (also known as Simeon the Elder), born in 390 at Cilicia near northern Syria, was the son of a poor shepherd. At the age of 13, the aspiring monk was turned away from monasteries. He grew tired of the gossip and arguments of the supposed-to-be religious people.

Initially, Simeon the Elder locked himself up in a hut at Tell-Neschin for three years. He passed 40 days of Lent without eating or drinking. After which, he combined fasting with standing continually upright for as long as his legs could sustain him. He was able to do this on a column, without support for the whole period of fasting.

Even after years of isolation, people continued to flock in the desert, seeking for Simeon’s wisdom and counsel. Since Simeon had not enough time for his devotion, he decided to have this lifestyle until his dying day. He had a small platform built on top of the pole then had its length increased to a little more than nine feet, then 50 feet. This was the life of a stylitoe, or “pillar hermit”, which Simeon swore to live until his dying day on September 2, 459.

www.newadvent.org

www.catholic-forum.com

Saint helladiuS of toledo

Saint Helladius was a native of Toledo, Spain. He served as a minister in the court of the Visigoth kings. The man loved to visit the abbey of Agali. As a result, he joined the community and was made its abbot in 605. Ten years later, Saint Helladius was promoted to archbishop of Toledo. Saint Helladius of Toledo died in the year 632.

www.saintpatrickdc.org

bleSSed John of fieSole

Blessed John Fiesole (1400 – 1455) was the patron of Christian artists.

As a young boy, he learned painting under the supervision of a local painting master. He developed this skill even after he joined the Dominicans at the age of 20. He continued learning about painting, mastering his own techniques like broad-brush, strokes, vivid colors and life like figures. Among his most famous paintings were the Annunciation, the Descent from the Holy Cross and the frescoes in the monastery of San Marco in Florence.

When he joined the Dominicans, John Fiesole took the name Fra Giovanni. But instead of his acquired name, he was recognized as Fra Angelico, probably a form of tribute to his angelic qualities or maybe due to the devotional tone of his works.

Fra Angelico took the responsibility of a leader in the Dominican Order. The man was even asked by Pope Eugenius to serve as archbishop of Florence which he declined, in preference to a simple life.

www.americancatholic.org

February
Sunday

WELL WOWEEE!

It was about the sixth hour. – John 4:6

Why was the woman in the Gospel going to the well at high noon — the “sixth hour” in Jewish vocabulary? At that time, heat of the sun was bone-searing, making it a hundred times more difficult to carry a jarful to and fro.
Answer: She was ashamed. She didn’t want anybody to see her. And that was the time of the day when nobody in his right mind goes to the well. She’s lived in with many men in her life but none she was married to. Her sin has brought guilt and guilt brought shame.
Just when she thought that nobody was there, Jesus was. Just when Jewish customs prohibit men from talking to women, Jesus spoke to her. Just when Jews aren’t supposed to talk to Samaritans, Jesus offered friendship by asking for a drink from her cup. There she left not only her old jar but also her old life. She rushed back to her hometown with head lifted to the sky, undressed of the shame that clouded her empty soul and now clothed by the mercy and forgiveness of God. She went around telling people about the noontime show that changed her life.
Have your sins caused you so much shame and pain? Leave them now! Come to Jesus. You may yet have the best noontime show of your life. Jon Escoto

REFLECTION:
Is it the noontime of your life yet? The Game Master waits at the well. The jackpot prize called “Eternal Springs of Living Water” has your name on it.

Lord, give me the courage to confess my sins to You that I may receive Your forgiveness and the dignity that comes from becoming Your child again.

----------------------

the KinGdoM’s doors are open for all

The Samaritan woman, upon hearing Jesus’ request for water, protested, “How can you, a Jew, ask me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?” (John 4:9a). The woman’s reaction is borne from the animosity between Jews and Samaritans which goes a long, long way in their history. Hence, Matthew annotates, “For Jews use nothing in common with Samaritans (John 4:9b). Jesus did not allow such long history of enmity between their races to affect His dealings with her and, so, He continued to talk to her. What Jesus did was truly astonishing.
William Barclay writes, “The Samaritan was a woman. The strict Rabbis forbade a Rabbi to greet a woman in public. A Rabbi might not even speak to his own wife or daughter or sister in public. There were even Pharisees who were called “the bruised and bleeding Pharisees” because they shut their eyes when they saw a woman on the street and so walked into walls and houses! For a Rabbi to be seen speaking to a woman in public was the end of his reputation — and yet Jesus spoke to this woman. Not only was she a woman; she was also a woman of notorious character. No decent man, let alone a Rabbi, would have been seen in her company, or even exchanging a word with her — and yet Jesus spoke to her.”
This is truly a remarkable story. Jesus, who initially was convinced that His mission was solely for the lost sheep of Israel, has now consciously steered Himself to a totally different orientation. He has “opened” the doors of the kingdom for all.
Here Jesus breaks down whatever it is that separates man from another—histories, race, gender, etc. This story actually concretizes the universality of His mission. His attempts to deal with an outsider made everyone an insider in the overall plan of God for man. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Do you build bridges or walls?

Jesus, teach me to reach out to the “outcasts” of society and embrace the poor in my midst that I may help in Your mission of uniting the faithful.

St. John Theristus, monk, pray for us.

----------------

1st READING

It is understandable that the people need water to survive a journey through the desert. What is probably a little difficult for Moses and God to understand is the seeming lack of faith of the people that God will look after them. After all that God has done for them in freeing them from slavery in Egypt and saving them from the clutches of the pursuing Egyptian army, why do they still doubt God’s provision for their journey through the desert?

Exodus 17:3-7
3 In those days, in their thirst for water, the people grumbled against Moses, saying, “Why did you ever make us leave Egypt? Was it just to have us die here of thirst with our children and our livestock?” 4 So Moses cried out to the LORD, “What shall I do with this people? A little more and they will stone me!” 5 The LORD answered Moses, “Go over there in front of the people, along with some of the elders of Israel, holding in your hand, as you go, the staff with which you struck the river. 6 I will be standing there in front of you on the rock in Horeb. Strike the rock, and the water will flow from it for the people to drink.” This Moses did, in the presence of the elders of Israel. 7 The place was called Massah and Meribah, because the Israelites quarreled there and tested the LORD, saying, “Is the LORD in our midst or not?”

P S A L M

Psalm 95:1-2, 6-7, 8-9
R: If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
1 Come, let us sing joyfully to the LORD; let us acclaim the Rock of our salvation. 2 Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us joyfully sing psalm to him. (R) 6 Come, let us bow down in worship; let us kneel before the LORD who made us. 7 For he is our God, and we are the people he shepherds, the flock he guides. (R) Oh, that today you would hear his voice: 8 “Harden not your hearts as at Meribah, as in the day of Massah in the desert, 9 where your fathers tempted me; they tested me though they had seen my works.” (R)

2nd READING

Paul reflects upon the truth of God’s love for us. He comes to the conclusion that he cannot but entrust his life to a God that has demonstrated His love for us while we were still sinners. God does not wait for us to reform our lives before loving us. He loves us in order that we will be inspired to reform our lives.

Romans 5:1-2, 5-8
1 Since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access [by faith] to this grace in which we stand, and we boast in hope of the glory of God. 5 And hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy Spirit that has been given to us. 6 For Christ, while we were still helpless, yet died at the appointed time for the ungodly. 7 Indeed, only with difficulty does one die for a just person, though perhaps for a good person one might even find courage to die. 8 But God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us.

G O S P E L

Jesus’ interplay with the Samaritan woman at the well instructs us in the generosity and transforming power of His love. Through a mere conversation, the woman’s life is changed. This demonstrates that God is not really interested in the various protocols of who should talk to who and when. He is interested in men and women learning to love one another with the love of God that is capable of transforming lives.

John 4:5-42
5 Jesus came to a town of Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of land that Jacob had given to his son Joseph. 6 Jacob’s well was there. Jesus, tired from his journey, sat down there at the well. It was about noon. 7 A woman of Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink.” 8 His disciples had gone into the town to buy food. 9 The Samaritan woman said to him, “How can you, a Jew, ask me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?” —For Jews use nothing in common with Samaritans.— 10 Jesus answered and said to her, “If you knew the gift of God and who is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.” 11 The woman said to him, “Sir, you do not even have a bucket and the cistern is deep; where then can you get this living water? 12 Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us this cistern and drank from it himself with his children and his flocks?” 13 Jesus answered and said to her, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again; 14 but whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” 15 The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water, so that I may not be thirsty or have to keep coming here to draw water.” 16 Jesus said to her, “Go call your husband and come back.” 17 The woman answered and said to him, “I do not have a husband.” Jesus answered her, “You are right in saying, ‘I do not have a husband.’ 18 For you have had five husbands, and the one you have now is not your husband. What you have said is true.” 19 The woman said to him, “Sir, I can see that you are a prophet. 20 Our ancestors worshipped on this mountain; but you people say that the place to worship is in Jerusalem.” 21 Jesus said to her, “Believe me, woman, the hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You people worship what you do not understand; we worship what we understand, because salvation is from the Jews. 23 But the hour is coming, and is now here, when true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and truth; and indeed the Father seeks such people to worship him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship him must worship in Spirit and truth.” 25 The woman said to him, “I know that the Messiah is coming, the one called the Anointed; when he comes, he will tell us everything.” 26 Jesus said to her, “I am he, the one who is speaking with you.” 27 At that moment his disciples returned, and were amazed that he was talking with a woman, but still no one said, “What are you looking for?” or “Why are you talking with her?” 28 The woman left her water jar and went into the town and said to the people, 29 “Come see a man who told me everything I have done. Could he possibly be the Messiah?” 30 They went out of the town and came to him. 31 Meanwhile, the disciples urged him, “Rabbi, eat.” 32 But he said to them, “I have food to eat of which you do not know.” 33 So the disciples said to one another, “Could someone have brought him something to eat?” 34 Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of the one who sent me and to finish his work. 35 Do you not say, ‘In four months the harvest will be here’? I tell you, look up and see the fields ripe for the harvest. 36 The reaper is already receiving his payment and gathering crops for eternal life, so that the sower and reaper can rejoice together. 37 For here the saying is verified that ‘One sows and another reaps.’ 38 I sent you to reap what you have not worked for; others have done the work, and you are sharing the fruits of their work.” 39 Many of the Samaritans of that town began to believe in him because of the word of the woman who testified, “He told me everything I have done.” 40 When the Samaritans came to him, they invited him to stay with them; and he stayed there two days. 41 Many more began to believe in him because of his word, 42 and they said to the woman, “We no longer believe because of your word; for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is truly the savior of the world.”

my reflections
think: God does not wait for us to reform our lives before loving us. He loves us in order that we will be inspired to reform our lives.

SABBATH PAUSE
My weekly time with God
THANK YOU LIST
Things to be grateful for from the past week
Things to ask God for in the coming week
Most important word God told me this week

February
Monday

-------------------

ONCE iS NOT ENOUgH

The prophet sent him the message: “Go and wash seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will heal, and you will be clean.” – 2 Kings 5:10

I’m not sure if it would’ve mattered whether the leper needed to wash seven or 77 times, but what this verse does tell me is that once wasn’t enough.
There are events in my life that I’ve lifted up to the Lord but sometimes their memory comes back to haunt me. There are also attitudes I’ve decided to break, but I find myself still struggling even after repeatedly asking the Lord to deliver me. And there are also people I’ve decided to forgive but when I see them, the hurt’s still there and I’m unable to relate to them. A community elder once told me, “You have to bring it before the Lord every day. Say, “I forgive this person” every day. Ask the Lord to deliver you from sin every day. Seek God’s healing every day. Once isn’t enough.”
After taking his advice, I have been healed from many memories, a lot of bad attitudes and unforgiveness. But I still struggle. So I hold on to this promise: “He who began a good work in you shall be faithful to complete it” (Philippians 1:6).
And just as the sun rises each morning, I look forward to His deliverance… every day. George Gabriel

REFLECTION:
Seeking deliverance? Lift it up to the Lord. Again.

Lord, once more, I come to You…

-------------------

do the riGht thinG

When my circle of ordained ministers come together, we often share stories about the lights and shadows in our ministry or our joys and struggles in our own parishes. One striking story that most of us identified with was shared by a newly installed parish priest.
He said, “As a parish priest I know that I really need to be firm with some policies that cannot be compromised no matter how unpopular such a stance would make of me. Such a case was when I really held my ground regarding those wishing to get installed as Lectors of the parish even if they did not participate in the ongoing formation made compulsory for them by the pastoral council. Because I was adamant with my position, I kind of stirred the hornet’s nest. Since I barred them from serving, those people really made life difficult in my administration of the parish. They would really spread nasty rumors and ridicule me in public places.”
We consoled him with words like, “Their later actions only vindicated you. Their lack of decorum only proves that they really are in need of further formation, for the initial ones that they had did not make them better servants of the church as they exhibited now.“
As pastors we should opt not to be popular but to be always right and moral with our choices. If we will just give in to the whims of the people without regard for what is right and just we would just make limp Christians out of them. Even Jesus chose that path. He chose not to please people but to be right and moral. Even if the people attempted to hurl Him off the cliff simply because they didn’t like what they heard from Him, He still held His ground. Indeed it would be better to be persecuted for doing the right thing than win the hearts of the people by just giving in to their whimsical desires. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Being r ight vs. being popular — which will you choose?

Jesus, You always did what the Father asked of You and always spoke the truth. Give me the grace to do the same
even at the risk of being rejected by the world.

St. Tarasius, bishop, pray for us.

---------------

1st READING

Who are we to question the wisdom of the Lord? I certainly do not want to enter into an argument with God about right and wrong. And just because God asks us to do something simple in order to receive a healing, even more reason not to argue the point or we may find that the offer of grace has run out.

2 Kings 5:1-15b
1 Naaman, the army commander of the king of Aram, was highly esteemed and respected by his master, for through him the LORD had brought victory to Aram. But valiant as he was, the man was a leper. 2 Now the Arameans had captured from the land of Israel in a raid a little girl, who became the servant of Naaman’s wife. 3 “If only my master would present himself to the prophet in Samaria,” she said to her mistress, “he would cure him of his leprosy.” 4 Naaman went and told his lord just what the slave girl from the land of Israel had said. 5 “Go,” said the king of Aram. “I will send along a letter to the king of Israel.” So Naaman set out, taking along ten silver talents, six thousand gold pieces, and ten festal garments. 6 To the king of Israel he brought the letter, which read “With this letter I am sending my servant Naaman to you, that you may cure him of his leprosy.” 7 When he read the letter, the king of Israel tore his garments and exclaimed, “Am I a god with power over life and death, that this man should send someone to me to be cured of leprosy? Take note! You can see he is only looking for a quarrel with me!” 8 When Elisha, the man of God, heard that the king of Israel had torn his garments, he sent word to the king, “Why have you torn your garments? Let him come to me and find out that there is a prophet in Israel.” 9 Naaman came with his horses and chariots and stopped at the door of Elisha’s house. 10 The prophet sent him the message, “Go and wash seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will heal, and you will be clean.” 11 But Naaman went away angry, saying, “I thought that he would surely come out and stand there to invoke the LORD his God, and would move his hand over the spot, and thus cure the leprosy. 12 Are not the rivers of Damascus, the Abana and the Pharpar, better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them and be cleansed?” With this, he turned about in anger and left. 13 But his servants came up and reasoned with him. “My father,” they said, “if the prophet had told you to do something extraordinary, would you not have done it? All the more now, since he said to you, ‘Wash and be clean,’ should you do as he said.” 14 So Naaman went down and plunged into the Jordan seven times at the word of the man of God. His flesh became again like the flesh of a little child, and he was clean. 15 He returned with his whole retinue to the man of God. On his arrival he stood before him and said, “Now I know that there is no God in all the earth, except in Israel. Please accept a gift from your servant.”

P S A L M

Psalm 42:2, 3; 43: 3, 4
R: Athirst is my soul for the living God. When shall I go and behold the face of God?
1 [2] As the hind longs for the running waters, so my soul longs for you, O God. (R) 2 [3] Athirst is my soul for God, the living God. When shall I go and behold the face of God? (R) 43: 3 Send forth your light and your fidelity; they shall lead me on and bring me to your holy mountain, to your dwelling-place. (R) 4 Then will I go in to the altar of God, the God of my gladness and joy; then will I give you thanks upon the harp, O God, my God! (R)

G O S P E L

I think Jesus makes what could be conceived as inflammatory statements in order to drive home the point that each of us has to look at our own response to God’s Word and see whether or not we stand with those who follow His will or those who do not. There is no middle ground here at all — we cannot live a sort of half-half existence.

Luke 4:24-30
24 Jesus said, “Amen, I say to you, no prophet is accepted in his own native place. 25 Indeed, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah when the sky was closed for three and a half years and a severe famine spread over the entire land. 26 It was to none of these that Elijah was sent, but only to a widow in Zarephath in the land of Sidon. 27 Again, there were many lepers in Israel during the time of Elisha the prophet; yet not one of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.” 28 When the people in the synagogue heard this, they were all filled with fury. 29 They rose up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town had been built, to hurl him down headlong. 30 But he passed through the midst of them and went away.

my reflections
think: Who are we to question the wisdom of the Lord?

Saint Peter daMian

Peter Damian was born on 1007 at Ravenna, Italy. He was the youngest child of a large and poor family.

An elder brother protested having another child ; as a result, his mother refused to feed him, causing the infant to almost die. Peter was left an orphan at an early age. He was adopted by an older brother who mistreated and underfed him and made him work as a swineherd. Despite his condition, he remained pious. After sometime, another brother, the archpriest at Ravenna, took him and provided him education. He studied in Ravenna, Faenza, then at the University of Prama. When he was 25, he taught at Parma and Ravenna.

Since he could not endure the harshness in the outside world, Peter gave up his profession to become a Benedictine monk. Among the positions he held were abbot, Cardinal-Bishop of Ostia and administrator of the Diocese of Gubbi. By the end of 1059, Peter and the Bishop of Lucca were sent as legates by Nicholas II to Milan in order to fight the issue of simony.

Peter Damian also served as peacemaker between arguing monastic houses, clergymen and government officials. Before the saint’s death on February 22, 1072, he was able to write poems, dozens of sermons and seven biographies.

Saint Peter Damian was declared Doctor of the Church in 1828.

www.catholic-forum.com

www.newadvent.org

Saint Margaret of Cortona

Saint Margaret was born a farmer’s daughter in 1247 at Loviano in Tuscany, Italy.

She eloped with a young man from Montepulciano and lived as his mistress for nine years. In 1274, the man was murdered, leaving her with a son to care for. She took this incident as a sign from the Lord. She publicly confessed her affair. When she returned to her father, he would not accept her. The Friars Minor at Cortona took her and her son in their care.

Since Margaret was attractive, men wooed her. The woman found it difficult to resist temptation. In order to make herself unappealing, she resolved to mutilate herself which the friar Giunta prevented.

To stay with the Friars, Margaret tended to the sick women and the poor. She lived on alms, asking nothing in return. When she became a Franciscan tertiary in 1277, she developed a deeper and more intense prayer life. Margaret was given the task to work with the poor and the sick in 1286.

She gathered people who wanted to serve and formed them into tertiaries. These were later recognized as a congregation, known as the Poverelle (Poor Ones). Before the saint’s death on February 22, 1297, she founded a hospital at Cortona.

Saint Margaret was canonized by Pope Benedict XIII on 1728.

www.catholic-forum.com

February
Tuesday
-----------

MERCY RECEiVED

“Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?” – Matthew 18:33

When I am betrayed, hurt or offended by someone, especially by a loved one, mercy would be the last thing on my mind.
Have you experienced getting shoved against the wall while appeasing someone with a volatile temper? Or losing a friend because of an unpaid debt that someone else was responsible for? Or helplessly watching someone you love drown in addiction? Or not get paid by your client for work you rendered? I have.
To forgive those who did these to me is difficult. It’s an ongoing, day-to-day process that’ll take sometime for me to perfect. So I began by taking the first step. I decided to forgive — in spite of the lingering hurt and sans any apology. I want to forgive, by the Lord’s grace. And I pray every day for the grace to come full circle in my forgiveness. So that the Lord can set me (and my “offenders”) free. After all, Jesus showed mercy to undeserving sinners like me, when while on the Cross He prayed, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”
How could I not but try to do the same? Dina Pecaña

REFLECTION:
Divine mercy received must be mercy shared.

Forgive me, Lord, as I forgive those who hurt me.
-----------

forGive as Jesus forGives you

The parish priest in our reflection yesterday later on told us that the issue between him and his dejected church workers were eventually resolved. But he said that after having to bear the many heartaches that those people caused him, it took him quite a while to forgive them. Then he remembered what his former Spiritual Director told him, “Mas masakit pa ba ang dinanas mo sa dinanas ni Kristo at hindi ka makapagpatawad?”and “Mas mabigat ba yung ginawa nila laban sa ‘yo kaysa sa ginawa mo laban sa Diyos nuon?” Contrasting his pain with the pain that Christ endured for humanity, and, the sins that have been done to him with the sins he himself had done motivated him to see the light.
That is exactly what Jesus is trying to do in today’s gospel—He’s trying to make the man see the contrast of the debt that is owed to him to the debt that he himself owed. William Barclay quotes A.R.S. Kennedy in drawing up this vivid picture of the parable of the unforgiving servant: Suppose the servants were paid in sixpences. The 100 denarii debt that a fellow servant owed him could be carried in one pocket. The ten thousand talent debt that he owed his master would take an army of about 8,600 carriers, each carrying a sack of sixpences 60 pounds in weight; and they would form, at a distance of a yard apart, a line five miles long!
This contrast between the debts is incredible, and that is exactly what Jesus is trying to make us see. He is directing our attention to the immensity of our debt to God compared to whatever possible debt our fellow human beings can owe to us. The staggering contrast is really meant to make us feel ill at ease and thus make us think: what right have we to deny our forgiveness to those who have offended us, when our loving God whom we have offended enormously has never wavered in pardoning us? Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Is there anyone you need to forgive? Forgive as you have been forgiven.

Merciful Lord, soften my hardened heart that I may forgive those who have hurt me the way You forgive me.

St. Isabel of France, pray for us.
----------

1st READING

There have been times in history when the earthly leaders of the Church failed in their responsibility to care for the People of God. God never abandoned His people as we can see by the continuous witness of the lives of the saints at these times. Human beings can be very fickle in their responses to the grace of God and, unfortunately, this can have a bearing in the lives of others.

Daniel 3:25, 34-43 (or Prayer of Azariah)
2 [Dan 3:25] In the fire Azariah stood up and prayed aloud: 11 [Dan 3:34] “For your name’s sake, do not deliver us up forever, or make void your covenant. 12 [Dan 3:35] Do not take away your mercy from us, for the sake of Abraham, your beloved, Isaac your servant, and Israel your holy one, 13 [Dan 3:36] to whom you promised to multiply their offspring like the stars of heaven, or the sand on the shore of the sea. 14 [Dan 3:37] For we are reduced, O Lord, beyond any other nation, brought low everywhere in the world this day because of our sins. 15 [Dan 3:38] We have in our day no prince, prophet, or leader, no holocaust, sacrifice, oblation, or incense, no place to offer first fruits, to find favor with you. 16 [Dan 3:39] But with contrite heart and humble spirit let us be received; 17 [Dan 3:40] as though it were holocausts of rams and bullocks, or thousands of fat lambs, so let our sacrifice be in your presence today as we follow you unreservedly; for those who trust in you cannot be put to shame. 18 [Dan 3:41] And now we follow you with our whole heart, we fear you and we pray to you. 19 [Dan 3:42] Do not let us be put to shame, but deal with us in your kindness and great mercy. 20 [Dan 3:43] Deliver us by your wonders, and bring glory to your name, O Lord.”

P S A L M

Psalm 25:4-5ab, 6 and 7bc, 8 and 9
R: Remember your mercies, O Lord.
4 Your ways, O LORD, make known to me; teach me your paths, 5 guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my savior. (R) 6 Remember that your compassion, O LORD, and your kindness are from of old. 7 In your kindness remember me, because of your goodness, O LORD. (R) 8 Good and upright is the LORD; thus he shows sinners the way. 9 He guides the humble to justice, he teaches the humble his way. (R)

G O S P E L

Let us grow up and stop counting the times we have forgiven the sins of others toward us. We will never get anywhere close to ministering the amount of mercy God has shown us and we are just one person who has sinned against Him; there are many who have sinned against each one of us. It is useless to try and compare ourselves with God or outdo Him in mercy or love or generosity or any other virtue for that matter.

Matthew 18:21-35
21 Peter approaching asked him, “Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?” 22 Jesus answered, “I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times. 23 That is why the kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king who decided to settle accounts with his servants. 24 When he began the accounting, a debtor was brought before him who owed him a huge amount. 25 Since he had no way of paying it back, his master ordered him to be sold, along with his wife, his children, and all his property, in payment of the debt. 26 At that, the servant fell down, did him homage, and said, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you back in full.’ 27 Moved with compassion the master of that servant let him go and forgave him the loan. 28 When that servant had left, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a much smaller amount. He seized him and started to choke him, demanding, ‘Pay back what you owe.’ 29 Falling to his knees, his fellow servant begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you back.’ 30 But he refused. Instead, he had him put in prison until he paid back the debt. 31 Now when his fellow servants saw what had happened, they were deeply disturbed, and went to their master and reported the whole affair. 32 His master summoned him and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you your entire debt because you begged me to. 33 Should you not have had pity on your fellow servant, as I had pity on you?’ 34 Then in anger his master handed him over to the torturers until he should pay back the whole debt. 35 So will my heavenly Father do to you, unless each of you forgives his brother from his heart.”

my reflections
think: Let us grow up and stop counting the times we have forgiven the sins of others toward us.

Back
Top Bottom