Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Chat/Discussion of books we've read, Book Recommendations/Suggestions...

Re: Chat/Discussion of the book we've Read, Book Recommendations/Suggestions...

@sticky-feet, I've watch the movie Perfume but haven't read the book (Perfume: Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind). I love that movie, disturbing but wow! Can you post the ebook here sa symbianize. Pretty please...

A Knight In Shining Armor is the first book I've read of Jude Deveraux's books. And that got me hook. I love time travel theme kasi. I think the book you describe eh yung 3 heroine who went to a palm reader then travel thru time? Was that it? If so that was Return to the Summerhouse.

There are some of JD's books I don't like, mostly those new ones. I love her old books the best are those Taggert and Montgomery Families. Nakakain love sila. *Sigh* I love Sweet Liar, Samantha and Mike Taggert and then the short story of his twin brother Kane.

@ maysapaw, Kresley Cole's is in my TBR List but I still haven't started reading. I've read a lot of raves about her. Even while I was in the bookstore browsing the paranormal section for Jeaniene Frost's books this lady told me to read Kresley Cole's Immoratal After Dark series and Gena Showalter's Alien's Huntress series books.

Also Tess Gerritsen is also in my TBR list, sa sobrang dami books walang time to read and then may mga bagong releases that I have to read first. Kaya palaging na pu-push down sa listahan ko. LOL! I will read The Surgeon later.

@ gieyah27, yung Tell Me Your Dreams by Sidney Sheldon is a good multiple personality book.

I've read this when I was still in 1st year HS and I can't recall all the details but I love Master of the Game and Nothing Last Forever, they are two of my favorites of Sheldon's books. I really love the scene where the lawyer drinks the evidence (that was poison) and have someone (a doctor) in the out of order bathroom get ready to get it out of his system. That was just AMAZING!!

About naman sa Forbidden, I think kaya nga di ko malilimutan ang name nya ngayon bec it was written very, very well. I will be in a look out for Tabitha Suzuma's next book. Especially na first book nya yan, so kailangan it will stay in your head. And she accomplish that. :D

@ayanamifaerudo, is Libba Bray any good? Ang dami talaga books I have to read. Ang hirap ang liit lang ng time.

@ dudette, Ang dami din nagsasabi maganda din to read kay Stieg Larsson but di ko matapos tapos. He he :D Same with the Hunger Games yung last book Mockingjay I can't finished it. But I love the two books.

Another Recommendations:

-Tori Carrington's Magnificent McCoy Men series is good to read din. You will fall in love with the McCoy brothers. :)

-Rosanne Bittner's Song of the Wolf is a tear-jerker. Most of her book are tear jerker. And most of the books I've read of hers are historical romance, during the time where a lot of people move to the Colonies. And about Native Americans. I love her books and I recommend them. Forgot some of the titles I've already read about her but they are all great.

-Brenda Joyce's pala has a new book coming out this Feb. Deadly Vows. And I like to read what will happened next Deadly series, the love triangle nila Francesca, Rick and Calder. I love her books so much especially the Bragg and the DeWarren saga/series.

People who love an alpha-male hero will love reading Brenda Joyce's books. Sometimes talaga you like to kill the hero kasi sobrang arrogant but in the end you'll fall in love with them, they're sweet pero medyo bastos! LOL :lol:

-Yung Chicagoland Vampire din pala ni Chloe Neill, maganda din basahin. I like the H/h Merit and Ethan. :D

-Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins about witches and academy setting din. Maganda basahin.

And I don't think I have read any of Jennifer Cruise yet. Sorry, what's her book usually? Contemporary romace bah? Or may historical din cya?

I love historical romance kasi.

Recently though, I've been reading a lot of paranormal and young adult books.

-Yung sa Erotica naman I really love this series by Kaitlyn O' Connor. Yung Enslaved series. It's about aliens abducting some humans to breed. :) I love the Hirachi alien race, nakakain love sila. :wub:

Last edited:

@maysapaw, parehas tayong fave love ko din yung Sweet Liar. I agree, JD didn't fare well sa contemporary nya...and her latest books is hard to read for me. Naiibahan ako... Love her old books better.

Nag susulat pa kasi ako off and on and then when I post it my new post na. Hehe :D

Another book I wanna read is The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. I super love the movie and I wanna read the book too. Imagine this was written on 1845? Pero ang ganda...

Thanks pala ninyo, I'll try Julie James. See? palagi lang kasi mamaya2x kaya I end up hindi ko na nababasa...

What title should I read first do y'all recommend for Julie James...Yung Just The Sexiest Man Alive, stand alone ito or series? I think I'll read that...Thanks for the reco sticky-feet. I'm putting Julie James on my reader right now. ;)

I also recommend books to my friends to read this and this books. and sometimes I insist :lol: ..But they don't have any passion with it like me. Nakukulitan na sila sa akin. LOL :rofl:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Uhmm..this is not fiction but non fiction, a self help books.

I love Barbara De Angelis, PhD books. I especially love her:

-Are You The One For Me?
-Ask Barbara: The 100 Most Asked Questions About Love, Sex, and Relationships
-Secret About Life Every Woman Should Know
-Secret About Men Every Woman Should Know
-What Woman Want Men to Know (Hubby read this one, said it really helps him understand women a bit better especially in relationship.)
-Passion
-The Real Rules: How to Find the Right Man for the Real You
-How to Make Love All the Time: Make Love Last a Lifetime
-Real Moments: Discover the Secret for True Happiness
-Real Moments for Lovers: The Enlightened Guide for Discovering Total Passion and True Intimacy

Last edited:

julie garwood's the bride is what got me into romances. love her other historicals, too, like the prize, prince charming, the gift, etc.

unfortunately, i don't like her contemporary romances, and that's pretty much all she's been writing recently. hassle.

Last edited:

@sticky-feet

Kresley Cole - start with A Hunger Like No Other. I'm actually liking in the long run KC over JRW :lol: I so love Nix!!!!

i love Kresley Cole as well :inlove:...though her first IAD is the short story of Nikolai Wroth and Myst entitled the Warlord Wants Forever in the compliation Playing Easy to Get. am excited to see who Nix ends up with :) and am eagerly anticipating Feb. 15 when her new book "Dreams of a Dark Warrior" is released :excited:

Aside from Kresley Cole's Immortal After Dark Series, i recommend the following authors, who mostly write series ( i love reading connected characters/series books

• Nora Roberts and her other alter ego J.D. Robb of the In Death Series
  • Jayne Ann Krentz, Amanda Quick and Jayne Castle
  • Larissa Ione - demonica series and lords of deliverance series
  • Julie Garwood - only her historicals. dont like her contemporary stories.
  • Christine Feehan - drake sisters, sisters of the heart series, dark series, ghostwalker series
  • Christina Dodd - her darkness chosen series is getting interesting
  • Gena Showalter - i love her lords of the underworld series as well as her Alien Huntress series
  • Alexandra Ivy - her Guardians of Eternity series is a fun read as well
  • Jacquelyn Frank - nightwalker series, shadowdweller series

and many more......i just cant remember them right now :)

@alkniliel

yup, nabasa ko rin yung Warlord Wants Forever (WWF? ano to wrestling? lol) but since the first full fledge novel is A Hunger kaya yun nirecommend ko :D i'm sure when the reader starts to get hooked with the series lahat eh babasahin nila :lol:

btw, have you read the first few chapters of her new book? if not, then go to her website, available dun :D or....you can wait till Feb 15 na lang :D

i also like series as long as the lead characters changes, although there are exception to the rules :D

btw....i don't know why, but i really can't get into Nora Roberts :shrug: maybe i need to read something of hers na will make me crave for her books.

Last edited:

@kimi

re: JG, those were the first books of hers na nabasa ko rin way back in college. i'm disapppointed with her contemporary books as well (not the same level as her historical) but it is still passable compared with Deveraux new books.

i read in amazon forum na JG's publisher wanted her to write contemporary books kasi historical are already passe. if she writes paranormal i'm gonna look for her publisher and strangle them :lol: or better yet, maybe she can write historical in between and publish it with another company with lisa kleypas' publisher perhaps?

@diokdin

jennifer crusie is contemporary, rom-com, chick lit books. reading her books is just fun, fun, fun.

julie james you can start with any of her 3 books (kaasar 3 pa lang books nya!), but my order of preference would be Something About You, Just the Sexiest Man Alive, Practice Makes Perfect.

Last edited:

@maysapaw

re: kresley cole, have read the excerpt on her site- kya am sooo excited for Feb. 15. She's one of the few authors na even after reading an ebook copy, i still buy the paperback one :) initially i didnt like the series - the WWF and the AHLNO, but her more recent stories are more an exciting read :) can't wait for Lothaire's partner - sana si Nix :)

re: Nora Roberts - ganyan din ako before - didnt like her books. i was mostly a JAKrentz, Julie Garwood fan (historicals only though)...but since super prolific writer si Nora, and my fave writers usually write a book or two in a year, i finally gave in and tried one of her books.

Mas maganda syang mag write ng series books instead of her stand alone novels. May continuity kasi yun characters from series to series (both the heroine and the hero).... her last series, yun Bride Quartet series: Vision in White, Bed of Roses, Savor the Moment and Happy Ever After is one of her best series - makes me want to be a photographer/baker and even get married (even without a groom - hahahaha). Her in the Garden Trilogy is a fun read as well. She tried her hand at paranormal with the Circle Trilogy (Morrigan's Cross, Dance of the Gods, Valley of Silence) with one of the characters being a vampire and some are witches/warlocks. Sign of Seven trilogy and the Key trilogy are some of my faves as well.

Nora Roberts alter ego on the other hand, J.D. Robb (futuristic story) In Death Series is one of the longest series i have read, its up to around 20 books na ata in the series. I love this series! i'm soooo in love with Roarke :)

re: Julie Garwood - read somewhere nga that her publisher is the one who advised her to write contemporaries. problem ko lang with her contemp stories, its not as compelling as her historicals. wonder how she will write paranormal stories though? hehehehehe

buti pa si Jayne Ann Krentz, meron two other pseudonyms so she can write historicals (under Amanda Quick) pa rin and futuristic stories (under Jayne Castle) :) aliw actually yun Harmony books series nya - primarily because of the dust bunnies :)

Last edited:

@ maysapaw: Hehe, sige I'll check out Kresley Cole's and Michael Palmer's book. (I think Robin Cook's Mutation :thumbsup: lang ang medical thriller book na nabasa ko.)

Am excited na din for the Julie James book! :excited: Nakakainis 'cause I read the excerpt after Something About You and nakakabitin. :upset:

Heee, maybe I'll think of AKISA's heroine a few times a day para ma-desensitize ako. :slap:

Ako, I got bored with some of Nora Roberts book kaya nag-wander yung attention ko. But books that got me hooked were Carnal Innocence (first NR ko, I don't usually like the Southern Mississippi setting, but I did like it in this book), Three Sisters trilogy (must be because of my fascination with magic then as well, and well-written yung story), Great Chefs and Celebrity Magazines series.

Nora doesn't write detailed sex scenes ano (based on what I read above)? I think my young, innocent mind appreciated it then, although half the time I didn't know what she was describing/talking about then. :lol:

@ ayanamifaerudo: Yey! sige babasahin ko yun. Ayoko kasi ng mga falling-for-the-reincarnated-soul scenarios e, parang I was cheated off the HEA I was waiting for. I felt like the author took the easy way out of what was otherwise a tragic ending. :ranting:

@ diokdin: Ebook/Audiobook posted! :thumbsup:

I think I started off with the wrong Sheldon book (if I remember correctly, it was Rage of Angels). Hindi ko gaano nagustuhan :(

Hehe, I like alien abduction stories as well, ewan ko ba kung bakit (they were supposed to have tentacles and stuff, but nooo, they're a bunch of hunks in the books :slap:)

Gusto ko din yung Sweet Liar, esp. yung part na nag-picnic ata sila with the family, then nagswitch yung twins to find out she can tell them apart, yan ba yung may part na "His lashes are longer"? :) Pero I only skimmed the ending part, kasi parang may biglang switch dun sa story, something about a mystery (o was I reading the wrong book)? Hichic. I found out about the Taggerts from a very terrific anthology - A Gift of Love by McNaught, Deveraux, etc.

Have never read Count of Monte Cristo, (iilang classics lang ata ang nabasa ko), but loved the movie!

Just the Sexiest Alive, sis!!! *ack, kinikilig na naman ako :slap:* Buut Something About You has a lot more sexual tension *wink wink* ,Standalone lahat ng book niya, pero all her heroines (and one hero) are lawyers (I think, this was because Julie is one herself ;))

@ kimi: Akala ko wala pa kong Julie Garwood na nababasa, meron na pala. :slap: I read Prince Charming (and re-read it like a dozen times), I think it's my favorite Old Western-themed book (Hihi, Belle = Cow), sa lola ko pa ata yung copy na nasa 'kin kasi almost in tatters na siya. Will include the books you reco'd in my TBR kapag nasa historical phase ako. :p

@ alkniliel: I've never read Nora as J.D. Robb, pero I've heard rave reviews about her In Death series.

The Dark Series by Feehan was the reason I found out about ebooks (ang mahal kasi ng books niya na brand new, yung book 4 lang ang nabili ko :(), but I only loved the first 9 books (and the one with the musician, Dark Melody) of the series, and the Christmas special :p. It got a bit predictable to me kasi, nawala yung anticipation of finding a mate :(, hanggang dun lang ako sa COLOR? = MATE! scenes and then skim na lang after that.

Ooh, and the Nightwalkers!

*whew, pahaba na ng pahaba ang TBR List ko ah :lol: Pero sige lang ng sige!*

Last edited:

thread subsribed! :clap:

Last edited:

for me the Sidney Sheldon book that got me hooked is If Tomorrow Comes. You'll root for the girl to have her revenge. :) Rage of Angels kasi hindi ganun ka HEA (the son, the bf, etc).

Last edited:

for me the Sidney Sheldon book that got me hooked is If Tomorrow Comes. You'll root for the girl to have her revenge. :) Rage of Angels kasi hindi ganun ka HEA (the son, the bf, etc).

yea,i super like din ang "if tomorrow comes" ate.:) pero isa kc sa fave books ko tlga ung rage of angels.. :D

Last edited:

I would recommend THE KITE RUNNER by Khaleid Hosseini tpos ung isa pa niang book A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS (pero nde ko maxadong gusto to) LIFE OF Pi by Yann Martel. isa pang super fave book ko ang ELEVEN MINUTES by Paolo Coelho at THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint Exupery. :D

at lhat ng books written by JOHN GRISHAM!:D

Thanks pala ninyo, I'll try Julie James. See? palagi lang kasi mamaya2x kaya I end up hindi ko na nababasa...

What title should I read first do y'all recommend for Julie James...Yung Just The Sexiest Man Alive, stand alone ito or series? I think I'll read that...Thanks for the reco sticky-feet. I'm putting Julie James on my reader right now.

i'll second the motion, Julie James' books are must read!!! I'm excited to read A Lot Like Love (Paperback - Mar 1, 2011)

@maysapaw, I'll give them (Jennifer Cruise and Julie James) a try. After reading Linda Howard's Mr. Perfect, I'll read Julie James first. And BTW, I really enjoy Mr. Perfect I kept on laughing. LOL, though it's predictable na for me who is the killer. Love that List, and the neighbour, Sam. *wink* *wink* ;) Love the nude scene in the kitchen. LOL! And the friend's get together for girl talk time. Makes me miss my girl friends...

And yes, maybe after Julie James, I'll finally read Kresley Cole's books. I also have the physical book copies.

@sticky-feet, thanks for the Perfume ebook and audiobook. :thumbsup:

LOL, yeah...it seems like all alien guys are total hunks. I want me one too. LOL! :lol: And they are bigger and taller than human males. You can only tell by their coloring.

re: Sweet Liar, yup yup...may tendency nga si JD na umiba yung tunog ng book. The transition sometimes are not that good. But it is still enjoyable read. ;)

Okay, I'll read all Julie James...I guess it's between the two (Just the Sexiest Alive or Something About You) ang uunahin ko.

Thanks meowcute93, hirap kasi ako e-convince to start a new author. But with all these positive recos I will give it a try. ;)

Shayla Black's Doomsday Brethren Series are good to read din. It's kinda like JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series but instead of vampires it's about witches and warlock. And the villians also has black blood.

Last edited:

@diokdin

Magaling si Libba Bray. Unfortunately, I can only attest for her Gemma Doyle trilogy. Hindi pa ako nakaka basa ng iba niyang books. Tama ka - so many books so little time.

@sticky-feet
Iyong Legend kasi more on the "I-first-saw-you-in-my-dreams" type.

@ayanamifaerudo, thanks I'll add that trilogy on my TBR list...Oh no, ang dami2x na. Will I ever catch up? LOL! :lol:

@sticky-feet, kay Sheldon naman try the one I mention. Master of the Game, Nothing Last Forever and Tell Me Your Dreams. Maganda silang basahin.

@maysapaw

ako din te!! MCH tlaga yung mga unang books ko, as in paperback, as in halungkat sa booksale! wahaha! next si Ann Rule kaso true crime sa kanya

napanood ko na ata ang primal fear pero yung identity hindi pa. makapagvideo city nga maya.. hehe :) yung hubby ko mahilig movies, ako books talaga :)

Michael Palmer and Robin Cook for med thriller kaso sa dami ng books nila halos parepareho n plot.

@sticky-feet

yep, was able to get Sybil ebook from another site kaso hindi clean copy, readable naman, pinagtyagaan ko n. hehe.. :)

@diokdin

nadl ko n tell me your dreams, will add sa list ko. tamang tama need ko n din magrefresh ng list. hihi :) thanks po :)

reading now: The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

daming maganda ngayon dito sa symbianize, yung perfume and yung simon's choice. nakuuuu.. puyatan n nmn eto! hihi.. :) DL ko n pareho, can't wait!! :)

I will definitely read julie james. thanks for the recommendations.

Isang malaking check ang saying na "too many books so little time".

Steig Larsson The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo is a bit boring on its first chapters. I almost stopped reading, but someone encouraged me to continue and true enough after a few pages I cannot stop reading! =)

I also like Jodi Picoult's book. House Rules is one. hard core drama. =0

@ akosimissmalakas: Not yet read The Kite Runner, but did watch the movie, looked really interesting. :)

@ gieyah: Ako din, mahilig maghalungkat sa Booksale hehe ;) Na-dl ko din ang Simon's Choice (dreading ->:weep:) and am just waiting for my Kindle's replacement, dun ko kasi sana gusto basahin. Heehee.

@ dudette: Still haven't read Stieg Larsson as well, but I did dl the Millenium Trilogy movie. :p Hopefully would be able to compare. And Jodi Picoult, agh :weep:, am still reeling from My Sister's Keeper (I didn't think the movie was that great).

----

If you're looking for any new historical romance, try out what I'm currently reading: Unveiled by Courtney Milan. Really really great book. Am expecting one scene, thinking, "Oh this is what's gonna happen next," and then I'd be delivered a different one instead. And guh-reat characters! Love love love it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom